Celebrity encouraging its passengers to "X the Rules"

Rick-cruiser

As a veteran of just one Celebrity Cruise (Summit and we really enjoyed it), I reviewed the new campaign on facebook and did not come away with the idea that one could do whatever one pleased on a Celebrity Cruise.

I don't see people piling aboard with 3 , 4 even 5 bottles of wine, walking about the ship puffing on cigarettes, cigars and pipes, running with scissors, or going swimming immediately after eating.

I hope that the Chicken Little "the sky is falling" fears of some posters does not come true. I do appreciate that many trully enjoy the Celebrity experience and would like to see it continue as is. I will watch with interest for future reviews of Celebrity cruises.

[QUOTE=We're The Groupnors;27567001]If it means ignoring the rules of conduct on board I will be finding another cruise line.[/QUOTE]

We can't seriously be thinking this is what Celebrity means by "X the Rules". They are a business. Celebrity is not that stupid and to assume that this is what they mean is just as crazy as the slogan itself.

While I agree that this is a bad marketing strategy I personally don't see a reason to be all up in arms about it. It takes a certain type of person to disobey the rules and purposely take advantage of a slogan that is clearly not meant to imply that anything goes including misbehavior. These kind of people will exhibit that behavior with or without an invitation from a ridiculous marketing campaign. Good people, who have morals and values, will not purposely start breaking the rules and misbehaving simply because they read something that implied they could.

Celebrity attracts a certain clientele, the majority of whom will not be breaking the rules, as evidenced by this thread. Rule breakers and rowdy travelers will tend to turn towards the other cruise lines because Celebrity doesn't offer a party atmosphere. A slogan isn't going to change that. Cruising is expensive and most people do their research before spending the money.

[quote name='C 2 C']X is the only way to describe the perfect vacation.

Your vacation time is precious—and limited. We get that. Which is exactly what drives us to do what we do. To break away from the status quo and deliberately challenge the expected. To break the rules and set new and better standards by which all other vacations—on land or at sea—are judged. We do this to ensure you get the best vacation you've ever had. After all, life and work are full of rules. Your vacation shouldn't be. X the rules.[/QUOTE]

This advertisement, to me, says they are going beyond other cruise lines, beyond the status quo, to give its customers a unique and special experience. I believe the "rules" they are talking about are figurative rules. One definition of the word rule is simply "the normal or customary state of things."

I think this means they won't be doing what is expected of them. You won't be getting your typical cruise. It will be bigger and better and the best of everything. It clearly says they will be setting "new and better standards", not slackening them. They want to give you the "best vacation you've ever had". I have no doubt that Celebrity realizes they can't do that by encouraging people to ignore the rules of conduct.

They are going to think out of the box and give you an experience unlike you've ever had before. At least thats what I believe they are trying to say. Perhaps they could have done it better and smarter, but I think its pretty obvious they aren't encouraging people to run wild on their ships with no expectations of proper conduct.

Oh my, so my initial reading of the campaign was "X" the rules that may inhibit you from taking a vacation, cruising with Celebrity, experiencing exotic ports, pampering yourself in the spa, etc. etc

[SIZE=5][FONT=Comic Sans MS]I agree! That's what my take was on it as well and I was quite surprised when I started reading the comments on CC. If you go the the website, there is nothing in the ad campaign that even hints about changes to dress code etc. You can make up a whole lot of scenarios but there is nothing to support any of those rumors. I don't think anyone could put a negative spin on the ads. jmho[/FONT][/SIZE]

Our last cruise was on Summit and we didn't encounter a single rude, pushy or drunk person. It was the best 13 days and disembarkation was bad, not because we had to wait in long lines and deal with narky people but simply because we had to get off that wonderful ship. I want Celebrity to stay this way.

[quote name='GablesCruiser']Oh my, so my initial reading of the campaign was "X" the rules that may inhibit you from taking a vacation, cruising with Celebrity, experiencing exotic ports, pampering yourself in the spa, etc. etc., not come sail with us and break all the rules and regulations in our cruise. Given all the posts, I am obviously in the minority here. :)[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with your logic GC. No way is X scrapping their cruise rules.

This is just a marketing campaign aimed at those individuals who are "on the fence" about taking a cruise, whether they sailed previously with X or not.

2MC

[quote name='2morecruises']I totally agree with your logic GC. No way is X scrapping their cruise rules.

This is just a marketing campaign aimed at those individuals who are "on the fence" about taking a cruise, whether they sailed previously with X or not.

2MC[/quote]

I totally agree with this.Good point

QUOTE FROM OTHER THREAD
I think you've missed their point. Here's what Celebrity posted on their Facebook page today:

Celebrity Posted this on their Facebook page today:

We'd like to weigh in on the comments about Celebrity’s new campaign. Clearly, some have misunderstood the philosophy behind it, so we appreciate the chance to share some insights. 'X the rules' is not at all about encouraging consumers to break rules. Quite the contrary; it is designed to showcase how setting new standards and deviating from what’s expected can yield something different, better and truly special. It’s designed to allow us showcase how Celebrity is different than any other land or sea vacation option through our commitment to setting new standards, and to breaking away from the ordinary and what’s expected to ultimately deliver the best premium vacation experience.

Personally, I'm excited about the direction X is heading!

I plan to come to dinner on formal night wearing just a bow tie, black socks, and my Birkenstock's. Those are my rules.

BTW, how do they plan to deal with the people who believe in being topless or even nude at the pools?

No rules can be a very slippery slope.

DON

[quote name='cherylxx']QUOTE FROM OTHER THREAD
I think you've missed their point. Here's what Celebrity posted on their Facebook page today:

Celebrity Posted this on their Facebook page today:

We'd like to weigh in on the comments about Celebrity’s new campaign. Clearly, some have misunderstood the philosophy behind it, so we appreciate the chance to share some insights. 'X the rules' is not at all about encouraging consumers to break rules. Quite the contrary; it is designed to showcase how setting new standards and deviating from what’s expected can yield something different, better and truly special. It’s designed to allow us showcase how Celebrity is different than any other land or sea vacation option through our commitment to setting new standards, and to breaking away from the ordinary and what’s expected to ultimately deliver the best premium vacation experience.[/QUOTE]

I'm an advertising copywriter/creative director and I can see exactly what happened with this ad campaign.

A copywriter and art director were trying to come up with a new campaign and had what they thought was a clever idea (it's not) of using the graphic X to represent nixing something. Lacking sufficient imagination, they went with "X the rules" -- not realizing they were ripping off NCL.

Then some corporate PR hack wrote a press release trying to make it sound like there was actually a strategy behind this, other than "we don't know what it means but we thought it was cool." That's why the press release is so vague and they tried to imply it meant something about higher standards (WTF?).

No one focus-grouped the concept so they had no clue that people would take it so literally, as many have done on this board.

Oops.

That's what you get when you don't hire a good ad agency.

Maybe they had some better executions, such as "X your cares," or "X compromising." But it's too late now.

FAIL!

After reading the observations of a number of folks (including me), I have now concluded that this endeavor was a screw up on Celebrity's part. I believe that they allowed their semantics to get in the way of their common sense.
Our next cruise is on the Equinox in AQ; and, I do not believe that this scenario will in any way impact our enjoyment of this cruise. Of course, on our next two booked cruises in this category in 2012, I will withold a final decision pending our experiences on the April Equinox cruise.
Quite frankly, I do not believe that the concerns of many on these boards will come to fruition. Please keep in mind that on the S class, about 85% of the cabins are cabins with balconies. Anyone with considerable cruise experience will be able to assess the significance of this demographic.
Lastly, although we are black tie people, we would not be distressed if the formal nights were changed to formal/optional smart casual.

[quote name='Ozzmund']As a veteran of just one Celebrity Cruise (Summit and we really enjoyed it), I reviewed the new campaign on facebook and did not come away with the idea that one could do whatever one pleased on a Celebrity Cruise.

I don't see people piling aboard with 3 , 4 even 5 bottles of wine, walking about the ship puffing on cigarettes, cigars and pipes, running with scissors, or going swimming immediately after eating.

I hope that the Chicken Little "the sky is falling" fears of some posters does not come true. I do appreciate that many trully enjoy the Celebrity experience and would like to see it continue as is. I will watch with interest for future reviews of Celebrity cruises.[/QUOTE]

Well put!! I cannot believe how many posts this thread has generated in only one day.

[quote name='Breezey']Well put!! I cannot believe how many posts this thread has generated in only one day.[/QUOTE]

Albeit effective posts; a couple of hours ago X changed the wording of the new slogan on the website. I think it is highly likely this thread had a large role in that.

[quote name='Half Hitch']I'm an advertising copywriter/creative director and I can see exactly what happened with this ad campaign.

A copywriter and art director were trying to come up with a new campaign and had what they thought was a clever idea (it's not) of using the graphic X to represent nixing something. Lacking sufficient imagination, they went with "X the rules" -- not realizing they were ripping off NCL.

Then some corporate PR hack wrote a press release trying to make it sound like there was actually a strategy behind this, other than "we don't know what it means but we thought it was cool." That's why the press release is so vague and they tried to imply it meant something about higher standards (WTF?).

No one focus-grouped the concept so they had no clue that people would take it so literally, as many have done on this board.

Oops.

Maybe they had some better executions, such as "X your cares," or "X compromising." But it's too late now.

FAIL![/QUOTE]

Thank you, makes sense to me and I think, strengthens my earlier point about "attention to details" and/or the lack thereof.

I think that just about anything and everything that can be said about the new ad/pr campaign has been said. We've heard Celebrity's response that they aren't changing the rules. People are getting repetitive and beating a dead horse. I think it's about time the hosts locked this thread up!

[quote name='Gonzo70']Albeit effective posts; a couple of hours ago X changed the wording of the new slogan on the website. I think it is highly likely this thread had a large role in that.[/quote]

Just in case they are.. I'd like to point out that I tried to clear up the confusion and supported the campaign.. As such, I am booked for the Century on 1/31 and already sweet talked a Celebrity customer support person to note that it would be nice to get an upgrade to a Sky Suite from my CC GTY reservation.

Just tossing that out there...:D

Well...this is how it goes.

Remember jeans? "Why does it hurt you if someone wears jeans"? was the retort.

Well...now....here we go.

Like society in general, standards will decline.

Even when you go on vacation, seeking a nice respite....seeking relaxation, fun, but with some decorum and elegance....you will one day be surrounded by the elements you sought to escape.

Culture continues to seek the lowest common denominator.

I guess....cruising will trend the same.

X the rules indeed.

Let's not be fuddy duddies.

[quote name='Half Hitch']I'm an advertising copywriter/creative director and I can see exactly what happened with this ad campaign.

Oops.

FAIL![/QUOTE]
Thank you for your educated post...I'm sure most of us were not taking the X campaign literally, but were concerned that those who DO bend rules and frequent other lines, would choose X because of the 'ad come-on'; they may have felt entitled because "they're on vacation", and would take advantage by conveniently misreading Celebrity's intention. I've been on Carnival with security evident everywhere, drunks in the brig, smoking drugs out in the open, etc. I don't want to vacation like that again.

Archived