Jewelry stolen from luggage during disembarkation

pnerissa

I just arrived home and unpacked my luggage to discover that my jewelry was stolen out of my suitcase. I called the cruise line and now have to wait until Monday morning to speak to someone at corporate about this. Has anyone else had this happen? What recourse do I have? This was on Norwegian and we had to place our bags in the hall for pick-up. Ours was immediately picked up so it's highly unlikely that some random passenger took it; it was more likely that it was one of the crew.

I'm just sick over the whole thing. It was an awesome cruise until this happened. This was my first cruise and my first real jewelry purchase. Argh.

Bev

You made a major jewelry purchase and put it in your luggage which you left in the hall for pick up to be left in a room with 4000 other suitcases that look like yours? Even if it was safe on the ship anyone could have walked off with it. Anything at all could have happened to it.

Why would anyone place valuables in an unlocked suitcase that they might never see again?

That rates right up there with the geniuses who place their critical life-saving medications in their unlocked suitcases and then hand them over to complete strangers at the airport.

Charles Darwin was right.......

Let's stop flaming folks and consider this a lesson learned. To answer your question - there is very little you can do. Did you have any sort of insurance?? If it was expensive, perhaps you do have some remedy. If not - I'm afraid there's little you can do besides wait for the cruise line to return your call. :(

always, aways keep valuable with you. even in a locked luggage. meds, personal items and electronics and jewelry stays in carry-ons. sorry for your lost, but the luggage goes through many hands..from the crew personnel to the dock workers and if you flew, the airlines. every time you luggage is scanned, they can see what you have packed.

so very sorry have you gone through this...hopefully it's a lessoned learned and won't happen again.

I just arrived home and unpacked my luggage to discover that my jewelry was stolen out of my suitcase. I called the cruise line and now have to wait until Monday morning to speak to someone at corporate about this. Has anyone else had this happen? What recourse do I have? This was on Norwegian and we had to place our bags in the hall for pick-up. Ours was immediately picked up so it's highly unlikely that some random passenger took it; it was more likely that it was one of the crew.

I'm just sick over the whole thing. It was an awesome cruise until this happened. This was my first cruise and my first real jewelry purchase. Argh.

Bev

Did you also fly?

Airline employees are famous for going through baggage, many consider it part of their benefit program.

As a rule, NEVER pack anything of value in checked luggage or any luggage that will be out of your personal possession.

You made a huge mistake. Sorry that happened, but .......

......... others will be chirping in.

no cruise line, airline, hotel or any other place takes any responsibility for valuables. Unfortunately that is the way it is. Valuables belong on your person. Sorry for your loss. Your homeowners insurance MAY cover but many have a disclaimer for unexplained loss. You have to show that it was broken into to be stolen....

NCL's limitation of liability...

(a) The term "baggage" means suitcases, valises, satchels, bags, hangers or bundles and their contents consisting of clothing, clothing accessories, toilet articles, and similar personal effects, including all other personal property of the Guest not in a container. The Carrier does not undertake to carry as baggage any tools of trade, household goods, fragile or valuable items, precious metals, jewelry, documents, negotiable instruments, or other valuables, including but not limited to those specified in 46 U.S.C. § 30503. The Guest warrants that no such items will be presented to the Carrier within any receptacle or container as baggage, and hereby releases the Carrier from all liability whatsoever for loss of or damage to such items when presented to the Carrier in breach of this warranty. The Guest further warrants that he or she has not carried onto the vessel any goods or articles for purposes of trade or commerce, nor contraband, nor goods or articles which otherwise may violate the customs laws of the country from which the vessel embarks or of any other port State visited by the vessel during the course of the voyage, and the Guest agrees to indemnity the Carrier for any fines, duties, taxes, or other penalties that may be incurred as a result of any item brought on board by the Guest. The Carrier shall not be liable for any loss of or damage to any perishable items, dentures, optical devices (including contact lenses), medications, cameras, recreational and/or sporting equipment, cash, securities or other negotiable instruments under any circumstances whatsoever, whether carried within the Guest's baggage or otherwise.

(b) The Guest and Carrier agree and stipulate that the aggregate value of all the Guest's baggage and any other property lawfully brought on board by the Guest does not exceed U.S. $100.00 and any liability of the Carrier or the vessel for any cause whatsoever with respect to said baggage shall not exceed such sum unless the Guest shall specify its true value, in writing, and pay to the Carrier before embarkation 5% of the excess of such value, in which case the Carrier's liability, if any, shall be limited to the actual damage sustained up to, but not exceeding such specified value. In no event shall Carrier be liable for normal wear or tear of the Guest's property or baggage. © The Guest agrees that all disclaimers and limitations of liability contained herein shall apply to all valuables stored or accepted for storage by the Carrier, including valuables stored with the Carrier in safety deposit boxes or security envelopes. The Carrier cannot accept responsibility for, and in no event shall be liable for, the loss of or damage to valuables or other articles left in cabins, and in no event shall the Carrier be liable for loss of or damage to property of any kind not shown by the Guest to have occurred while in the Carrier's actual custody. (d) The Guest agrees to promptly report any loss of or damage to baggage during loading or disembarking, to the Carrier's personnel, prior to debarking the U.S. Customs area; the Carrier shall not be responsible for any such loss or damage which is not so reported. Liability, if any, for loss or damage to baggage occurring elsewhere than on board the vessel in connection with air, car, motor coach, ground transfers, porters, stevedores and/or hotels shall rest solely with the person or entity providing such services and the Guest agrees that the Carrier does not guarantee the performance of such services and shall not be liable in any respect or capacity for any such loss or damage. (e) The Guest will not be liable to pay nor entitled to receive any general average or salvage contribution or award in respect to property taken by the Guest onto the vessel.

It is highly likely you learned a very costly lesson. I can't imagine putting jewelry in a checked suitcase. The best chance you have for any recovery is if the article(s) were new and you charged them on a credit card. Maybe you could seek reimbursement for theft as 'insurance' from your credit card. I wonder if even that might fail as they would consider that very negligent behavior to have checked it in a suitcase out of your sight and control.

Did you fly home and check your suitcase with the airline?

Sorry but you probably will recover nothing. Guess you just weren't thinking when you packed.

It's so unfortunate that this happened to you and I do sympathize. But the others are correct in saying other than insurance there is little that can be done.

Although I didn't suffer a loss, I did have my carry on bag taken from me and gate checked...too many people had too many carry ons and the overhead bins were already full. This wasn't recent, a few years back before there was a reason to haul everything aboard the plane. I worried the whole flight that my camera, jewelry and meds would be gone upon arrival.

I learned at that point to not only not pack valuables into my luggage, not even the carry on. Now it all goes into my purse, a large tote.

So there you have it, carry your valuables, always lock your luggage and hope for the best.

It is highly likely you learned a very costly lesson. I can't imagine putting jewelry in a checked suitcase. The best chance you have for any recovery is if the article(s) were new and you charged them on a credit card. Maybe you could seek reimbursement for theft as 'insurance' from your credit card. I wonder if even that might fail as they would consider that very negligent behavior to have checked it in a suitcase out of your sight and control.

Did you fly home and check your suitcase with the airline?

Sorry but you probably will recover nothing. Guess you just weren't thinking when you packed.

most credit card insurance also disclaims unexplained loss...they had too many claims from people saying it was taken from their unlocked cars....now if the luggage was cut open....

It's so unfortunate that this happened to you and I do sympathize. But the others are correct in saying other than insurance there is little that can be done.

Although I didn't suffer a loss, I did have my carry on bag taken from me and gate checked...too many people had too many carry ons and the overhead bins were already full. This wasn't recent, a few years back before there was a reason to haul everything aboard the plane. I worried the whole flight that my camera, jewelry and meds would be gone upon arrival.

I learned at that point to not only not pack valuables into my luggage, not even the carry on. Now it all goes into my purse, a large tote.

So there you have it, carry your valuables, always lock your luggage and hope for the best.

As a precaution to having to hand over my medications and jewelry in such a situation, I always place a small, canvas tote on the top of my carryon. In the event the airline should demand I hand over my 'overhead bin' carryon for lack of space in the overheads, I would remove my jewelry and medications and put them in that small size canvas tote that would fit under the seat. I will never let those things out of my control for anything less than a horrid emergency/catastrophe.

Prior proper planning prevents ***

Do you have any insurance that might cover it? Possibilities could include travel, homeowners, renters. If you charge the purchase of the jewelry to a credit card, there may be protection there. If you live with parents or someone else, they may have insurance that would cover it.

most credit card insurance also disclaims unexplained loss...they had too many claims from people saying it was taken from their unlocked cars....now if the luggage was cut open....

I don't blame them. There are probably many false claims and too many due to insured's lack of care. Not locking a car knowing there are valuable contents (not to mention theft of the vehicle) is irresponsible IMO

I appreciate the advice received from the kinder people on this board. As for the flamers, I choose to ignore their ill-spoken comments since it's a reflection on their poor character and social skills.

No, I did not fly and I drove my own vehicle so this was strictly baggage handling through the ship.

I will check with my credit card company and see what may be covered that way. I still have a call to make to the cruise line on Monday morning that will determine whether or not I cancel my deposit for a future cruise with them (I have 30 days on that one.)

Bev

I apologize if anyone consider my remarks to be flaming. I did not mean them in that regard and that is one of the problems with posting and not speaking in person. I merely asked why you would do something like that? Unfortunately in this day and age you just can not trust everyone. I have had people tell me that they left their jewelry on a ship only to find that they found it a week later tucked in someplace they had put it for safety and forgot that. My apologies to those that took it wrong.

I will check with my credit card company and see what may be covered that way. I still have a call to make to the cruise line on Monday morning that will determine whether or not I cancel my deposit for a future cruise with them (I have 30 days on that one.)

Bev

Please be aware that the cruise line only handles the luggage ON THE SHIP. Luggage going on and off a ship is handled by the local port-generally Longshoreman. This is all done under contract, as the cruise lines are not allowed to handle most stuff off the ship in a port.

Find out where the liability ends for the cruise line (and NO, it is NOT when you see your luggage in the cruise port). Trying to make the cruise line pay for something that was out of their control will end in frustration for you and make you look like a bimbo (cancel your future cruise as "punishment"). Sorry this happened, but there are very stringent liability restrictions in place when you have no idea where your jewelry actually disappeared. Depending on what time your ship actually docked, it could have been out of the ship's control for well over 4 hours.

You shouldn't get mad at the people who tell you how foolish it is to put valuables in suitcase. What do expect them to do? It is basic common sense. My wife only brings fake jewelry as well as a fake wedding ring when we travel.

Do you really think they can come up with a solution for you? It is your word against the cruiseline and it is their ship..

And as Patseacruiser said, many people lose things that turn up later.

I had an ex-girlfriend who had her old roomate arrested because she "stole" some of her jewelry. 8 months later she found it in a box hidden away....

I had some jewelery that came up lost, misplaced, or stolen.

I did just as you did. I spoke to the cruiseline and filed a claim for lost, misplaced or stolen jewelery. NOTE that I did NOT immediatly accuse anyone of stealing. The cruiseline performed its investigation and provided me with a form letter stating that they could not find these items.

I then immediatly filed a claim with my travel insurance. I sent in the cruiselines report, a copy of my receipt from original purchase, and within 2 weeks I had my $500 check. That didn't cover my loss, but it was the maximum coverage for jewelery.

We frequently have visitors to our office who are used to living in places where things are not so readily stolen. You would be shocked at what they put into their checked luggage.

We have to brief them on how to behave in the hotel, including which people not to trust.

It is sad that we have to live with an element of crime in our own country that makes such precautions necessary both when traveling and at home.

I am sad that the OP lost her jewelry. I am sad that we have to live with such worries.

I appreciate the advice received from the kinder people on this board. As for the flamers, I choose to ignore their ill-spoken comments since it's a reflection on their poor character and social skills.

No, I did not fly and I drove my own vehicle so this was strictly baggage handling through the ship.

Bev

You didn't say if you had locked your luggage.

I am sorry this happened to you and sorry if you are offended by some of the comments, but many of us feel that it is just plain common sense to carry expensive jewelry with you along with anything else valuable to you instead of packing them in a suitcase. Your comment states that your call to the cruise line will determine if you cancel a future cruise with them. So are you saying that if the cruise line refuses to reimburse you then you will no longer sail with them? I don't mean to be critical but you as the passenger have to take some responsibility for this.

Sorry that this happen to you.

But you can't be certain who stole your jewlery -- could have been the crew member who picked up your luggage in the hallway -- could have been a crew member shuffling the luggage around in the hold -- could have been the crew member who loaded your luggage onto the crate to go ashore -- could have been one of the workers in the terminal -- etc.

Was your luggage unlocked?

We always lock our luggage -- I always carry my jewlery with me.

For flying -- if for some unknown reason my carryon has to go into the hold -- I can quickly remove the camera case and the medical bag with all the prescriptions -- and I can quickly lock them as well.

One more thing you can do is search through everything you brought home. That includes the dirty laundry. Was it in a box and the box is gone? Then it is more likely stolen because the box is harder to get lost among your stuff. If the box is still there it may well have fallen among your clothes.

Also, close your eyes and try to picture yourself putting the jewelry into your suitcase. You probably didn't toss a little jewelry box in your suitcase Did you put it in something for safekeeping and you forgot you did that.

I know this is a stupid comparison but on my last cruise I know I had packed sunscreen. I pulled the cabin apart looking for it and finally gave up. It turned up in the sack I use to put the stuff to take to the beach. It was a very smart place to put it, but I just didn't remember.

Archived