What did you forget?

Blamar

okay, so we are ten days away from our cruise, it is a snow day here, and I have started packing. We have done a few cruises and each cruise, despite my ever so efficient packing list, we forget something. So far it has been a tie for my tux, swimsuit for the DW, shaving cream and razor, and dress shoes to name a few.

What have you forgot?

oh, our worst was passports, but we realized that on the way to the airport. :)

Blake

I forgot my eye drops one cruise and Jade reminded me to bring them along for the next cruise, so now they are on my packing list. Forgot the charger to my new travel scoot at the Ft. Lauderdale hotel, but a friend we were cruising with had the same scoot and charged it for me when it needed a boost.

My DW also forgot her passport but remembered halfway to the airport.

It wasn't what we forgot, but Air France forgot to deliver our luggage in time for us to board a 12-day cruise out of Copenhagen. DW received her luggage on day six, I received my upon returning to Copenhagen. We certainly learned to do without on that cruise. Since that time we have packed a few choice items in carry on and we do pack much less in our checked luggage.

A suggestion is to "cross pack" with your significant other; put some of your things in each bag so if one bag doesn't make it, you're not without underwear and other essentials.

I've forgotten minor things: alarm clock one time and my iPad keyboard charger on my last cruise. My daughter lived in northern NH and I lived in the Boston area, and we were going on a Christmas cruise out of CA. She drove down the night before as we were taking an early flight out of Logan in the morning. We were sitting around after dinner, just chatting, at about 7:30pm when suddenly, this awful look came over her face. She'd forgotten her passport. I quickly threw the dishes in the dishwasher, grabbed my car keys, and we drove 2.5 hours north, she ran in and got her passport, and 2.5 hours back home, arriving at about 1am. Fortunately, it wasn't snowing, sleeting or raining. We got up at 5:30am for a 6am limo. My daughter felt awful but she'll never forget her passport again nor have I ever said anything other than, "Glad we could go and get it."

Thankfully didn't forget anything for our cruise, but had several dreams about forgetting things. One dream I didn't pack ANYTHING (lol so NOT me).

One thing I'd suggest you bring is an over the door shoe organizer. Came so in handy on our cruise on HAL in october! Target sells one for about 8 bucks and if you dont want to deal with it on the way home, leave it behind.

I actually use mine at home now, on the back of a closet door in the bathroom, for misc things i need and want more handy than digging through the closet!

My DH loves sto put everything on a spreadsheet so on our very first cruise he made a spreadsheet for his packing list. I had a penciled in ,scratched out slip of paper for my list and he gave me a real hard time about my "disorganization". On packing day he pulled out his spreadsheet and put everything on the bed and very smugly stated "see I'm all ready to pack it". I looked over his stuff and said "I don't see any underwear" - He had forgotten to put it on "The Spreadsheet" so he didn't have any out! (He still makes spreadsheets- Roll Call members, cruise expenses, sights to visit etc. but he just uses "The Force" to pack.) We have never forgotten anything using my non-method method.

So far I've managed to not forget anything that I couldn't live without. I have packing spreadsheets based on weather, length, and type of trip. I've forgotten to pack the rechargeable battery for my camera. Fortunately I brought the adapter so it could use AA batteries, but they don't last very long. I ran out of sunscreen once and had to buy some onboard. That's expensive. I added cold medicine to my packing list after catching a head cold on a cruise. Cold medicine is REALLY EXPENSIVE onboard. I think it cost about $30 for a pack of 10 pills! :eek:

My husband is bad about packing. He wants to cram everything into a suitcase on the night before we leave. On different trips he's forgotten socks, belt, dress shoes, shaving cream, and his shampoo. I take care of packing the really important things like travel documents and passports. I've got a packing list for him now. He used to get cranky when I double-checked his packing, but I think he's learned and occasionally asks me to check if he forgot anything. And some people say men can't be trained. ;)

On last trip to South America and Antarctica, forgot sewing kit, gloves, pocket watch and clock. Gloves and pocket watch were in the jacket that I didn't take, as I took another. Remembered what I was missing at the airport, but too late to go back home. Found a sewing kit at Dallas airport, bought a $10.00 watch onboard, used socks for gloves, and used cabin TV for clock. Missed items were on packing list, but read it over too fast, and missed them.

Don't forget things getting ready to leave the ship, either. Never did, but forgot one drawer in a hotel which called for new socks and underware. Also forgot car keys in hotel drawer one time, lot more trouble than socks.

It's not about forgetting, but overthinking and bringing unnecessary things that aren't used. I love reading suggestions from others, add those items to my luggage, and then find I never use them. The suggested magnets to post the daily schedules and clips for holding the curtains together are two items I found I didn't need.

I packed for my husband for the first time on our last Mexican Riviera cruise. Once we got onboard and he unpacked he noticed that I forgot to pack any slacks or long pants for him! Our first port was Mazatlan and we walked into town and bought some black slacks at a department store. They were a little long but we thought anything's better than shorts. As we were walking back to the ship we passed this little bitty store that was no wider than the doorway. Inside was a man and a sewing machine!! We got the pants hemmed for $3.00, in five minutes and it was an excellent job. My husband decided that from then on he will pack for himself!

Thankfully didn't forget anything for our cruise, but had several dreams about forgetting things. One dream I didn't pack ANYTHING (lol so NOT me).

One thing I'd suggest you bring is an over the door shoe organizer. Came so in handy on our cruise on HAL in october! Target sells one for about 8 bucks and if you dont want to deal with it on the way home, leave it behind.

I actually use mine at home now, on the back of a closet door in the bathroom, for misc things i need and want more handy than digging through the closet!

Over the door shoe holder is a must! We keep "cruise" stuff packed in ziplock bags all year round, ready to throw and go. My wife has her "cruise wear for dinner" ready and at the end of summer, packs the few summer items we will need in suitcase ready to go. Our favorites are there and no excuse for new clothes (right!). The basics are always the basics so packing for us is pretty easy.

The worst is getting the dog and house ready for her sitter:rolleyes:

S and K

I had the same dream!! It was awful!

probably my most embarrassing moment - I bough a new net book to take on the cruise so I could report Live from the Nieuw Amsterdam (when the internet worked). didn't want to bring the bulkier lap top.

so, I got it just in time, charged it and put it in the carry on. when I proudly showed it to our friends in the airport while we were waiting for our connecting flight - they politely asked where the battery was !!

(it was still in the box at home, so I had to be plugged in the whole time).

Was my face red:o

DH forgot to pack the mask and hose of his CPAP - it was laying on the bed and he simply forgot to put in the carrier. He only discovered it was missing as we were going through security (they always ask him to open the case). It was too late to run home and grab it or to call anybody to bring it to us. Thankfully, we had our laptop, and he was able to look up the phone numberr of the supplier he uses, and call in a rush order that was delivered to our hotel the next morning before we left for the ship. It would have been a very long week without that CPAP....

DH wears glasses/contacts. Once, he forgot his contact lens care bag in the vehicle at the port parking garage. He didn't realize it until it was time to remove his contacts that night. Luckily, the ship's store did sell the essentials (the little storage container and the necessary solution).

My parents forgot a charger for camera batteries once. The photo gallery was gracious enough to help out -- the older photo gallery vendor, though. I can't vouch for the current one.

I once had to buy black dress shoes in San Juan since the pair I packed were absolutely killing my feet (despite having worn them many times before).

Dad also purchased replacement tennis shoes in Juneau when he could no longer tolerate the pain caused by the pair he was wearing.

Archived