Dinner jacket vs. Sport Coat....?

kymbakitty

We have left the gowns/tux at home for the last couple of cruises, but we do like to get a little dressed up. Hubby has a couple of nice sport coats..one in particular is kind of a tweed olive and a nice pair of dress slacks with shirt and tie.

I figured we'd that would be sufficient to attend a "semi formal" dinner but soon realized there is no such animal any more. There is formal and smart casual. Boy, you can tell how long it has been since we donned the tux/gown--ha!

Anyway, upon reading the dress requirements for formal, I noticed "dinner jacket." Hubby said a sports coat (not even a brand new nice one!) is NOT a dinner jacket and that we'll just go to the speciality restaurant on the formal nights (so I can wear my new dresses for the cruise!!!) and he'll wear his coat, tie, etc.

So my question is....what the heck is a dinner jacket then? I am not trying to break or bend the rules and I respect those that go to GREAT lengths to dress formally (trust me I do, I did this for many years)....but I am curious to learn what the difference is since my husband said it is not the same. It can't be because he doesn't want to dress up...he is bringing the coats/ties/slacks....but he can't seem to describe the difference (not to my satisfaction anyway).

Any clarification would be most appreciated!

:)

I would really love to hear from some folks that do not think it is okay...if they are out there.

If my husband is right, then he's right. But if the overwhelming majority thinks otherwise, I think he would consider reconsidering.

Just not sure if those that disagree are not posting....

I'll wait a little longer....

Thanks!!!

Dawn

I'm one that never gets to dress up ( work) and look forward to getting the chance on a cruise. There was a time that we all ( men) wore a jacket and tie to dinner. Now there are 2 nights that are formal/elegant. All cruise lines are now loosening up on the dress code. It's rare that anyone gets refused admission to the MDR. A kilt is not a tux, but it is formal in Scotland, Bermada shorts are worn to work in Bermuda. I think any jacket worn instead of jeans/tee shirts would be welcome in the MDR. If you/DH are comfortable with what you're wearing- you're fine

I would really love to hear from some folks that do not think it is okay...if they are out there.

If my husband is right, then he's right. But if the overwhelming majority thinks otherwise, I think he would consider reconsidering.

Just not sure if those that disagree are not posting....

I'll wait a little longer....

Thanks!!!

Dawn

If you read the dress code that Princess provides on their website it is pretty clear what is acceptable and what is not. People continue to push the envelope advancing the arguement "it my vacation and I will wear what I want" is that correct...me thinks not.

I was really surprised on the Golden. Many, many had on a sports coat. There were a few tuxes and suits sprinkled in. This was the first cruise where my husband did not take a suit..and there will not be a suit on the rest of our cruises. Sports jacket with black pants and shirt and tie. I wear a simple long black skirt with a sparkly top, and I'll wear it on all the formal nights. We simply can't afford the room anymore to dress up more than that. If I find our table is more tuxes than not, next formal night we'll enjoy the buffet.

If you read the dress code that Princess provides on their website it is pretty clear what is acceptable and what is not. People continue to push the envelope advancing the arguement "it my vacation and I will wear what I want" is that correct...me thinks not.

That statement does not describe us (I'm not suggesting you are saying it does)....we are not trying to push the envelope and we are not saying it is our vacation and I will wear what I want (again, I'm not suggesting you are saying it does again).

That is why I posted this question. We have never had that attitude.

I wish I could hear more from folks that thought a sports coat/dress slacks/dress shirt/tie were inappropriate and were blatantly not following the dress code because either you are in the minority OR (and I realize this could possibly be the case) there are many others that agree with you but are simply not willing to say so.

Hubby wins. He said that since he is not wearing a suit, tux or dinner jacket, that he does not meet the dress code requirements for formal night. That's fine with me....we plan on going to the specialty restaurants and on the formal nights, we can get dressed up and get nice pictures taken as well.

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like unless and until Princess allows for sports coats in their description of formal attire, we'll utilize the other venues for dinner on the cruise.

Thanks!!!!!

Dawn

A quick view from Down Under and I might be from the world of Steve Irwin and Paul Hogan but I do have to say this...

To take a jacket in ones luggage is not a big deal...and surely it means little to include a formal coat and shirt instead of a "sports Jacket". Male trousers/shoes etc can be used at other times.

To me its all about respect.

I know that the ladies like to dress up (even if they keep it a secret) and to say that she is happy to dress according to whatever HE wants is a lie!

Make formal nights exactly what they are intended to be, and don't go hiding into other venues because you dont conform!

You can always take your coat off during dessert;)

cheers

A dinner jacket is a white tuxedo jacket worn with black tuxedo pants. Gentlemen generally wear them between mid-May and Labour day or all year round in the tropics.

Most Dinner Jackets are black in most parts of the World other than the White style used in the Tropics and hot climates.

http://www.blacktieguide.com/Classic_Components/0_Introduction.htm

My observation has been this:

The majority of the men wear Suits (Matching jacket and pants) mostly dark suits. I have also noticed that when I shop for a suit that most of the stock consists of dark solid suits. I conclude that this must be what's in style now.

The next popular attire is sport jacket and slacks. I have seen navy, tweed, linen and even madras plaid.

Tuxedos or dinner jackets are very rare these days. The tuxedo is more popular than the dinner jacket.

The least popular is just wearing a shirt and tie. This is worn mostly by Young men and boys. However I have been seated with older men who choose to sport the same look.

I must also mention that we have only sailed Caribbean itineraries and choose anytime dining. I would imagine that in Europe and on exotic itineraries or in traditional dining you may see more formal attire as these venues attract an older passenger demographic who enjoy dressing up.

...Make formal nights exactly what they are intended to be, and don't go hiding into other venues because you dont conform!

I was completely following you until I read your statement above.

What does that even mean? Don't go hiding into other venues because you don't conform????

I thought if you choose not to dress formal, the other venues were there so you would have options (not to dress formal and thereby, not breaking any dress code rules). Not conforming would be to walk into the main dining room on a formal night in non formal garb....it would not be going (hiding in a) to a specialty restaurant where the formal dress is not required....?

Where is the hiding? Other venues are in place so you DON'T need to hide...what am I missing here?

Funny, I never considered for a second that we were "hiding" in the specialty restaurants on formal night--ha! New way to look at it I suppose.

On my last two cruises (Ruby Princess and Navigator of the Seas) I saw men in polo shirts in the dining room on formal night. Ugh! :mad:

I think a sport coat would be perfectly acceptable and is a heck of a lot more dressy than a polo shirt :rolleyes:

We live in the South so when we took cruises we would drive to the ports and the amount of luggage would not be a concern. My wife would take several formal outfits and I would always take a dark suit and my blue camel haired blazer, which I love :rolleyes: for formal nights.

We are now booked for August 20th Baltic/Scandinavia cruise on the Emerald where amount of luggage is a concern with airline fees. I am debating between the dark suit and the blazer. Probably go with the blazer :D

Never took a tux on a cruise and to be honest, only rarely see someone in one.

Go to dinner anywhere you want with a sports jacket on formal night (Including the main dining room). You can sit next to us, my husband will be wearing one and so will alot of others. If you want to wear your ripped jeans and tee shirt, then another venue would be appropriate, but a sports jacket and tie would be just fine for the dining venue of your choice. We sit down through most of our dinner, so no one really can tell if it's a suit (matching pants) or a sports jacket.:D

To the OP ... I read your question a little differently I guess: I would say the answer to your question is that your DH is correct, by definition a sport coat is not a dinner jacket. And that yes, he is also correct in that Princess' suggested attire of "Tuxedo, dark suit, or dinner jacket and trousers" for men is meant to ask them to be more formal than a sport coat.

And I can understand why he can't describe it to your satisfaction! They do seem to kind of blur into each other sometimes, especially with all the different options available in sport coats these days. But since you asked for clarification, when I think "dinner jacket" I think "tuxedo jacket" and I think:

• sport coat = more casually constructed jacket (notched lapel), often made from fabrics with noticeable texture and weave (tweeds, linens), and worn with complementary (not matching like a suit)slacks/trousers
  • dinner jacket = a jacket for formal evening wear, conservatively tailored (shawl or peaked lapels), solid-colored, usually wool, and worn with solid (black) formal trousers

That's just my opinion in answer to your question.

PS I do agree with those that say he'd be in plenty of good company with a nice sport coat on a cruise.

To the OP ... I read your question a little differently I guess: I would say the answer to your question is that your DH is correct, by definition a sport coat is not a dinner jacket. And that yes, he is also correct in that Princess' suggested attire of "Tuxedo, dark suit, or dinner jacket and trousers" for men is meant to ask them to be more formal than a sport coat.

And I can understand why he can't describe it to your satisfaction! They do seem to kind of blur into each other sometimes, especially with all the different options available in sport coats these days. But since you asked for clarification, when I think "dinner jacket" I think "tuxedo jacket" and I think:

• sport coat = more casually constructed jacket (notched lapel), often made from fabrics with noticeable texture and weave (tweeds, linens), and worn with complementary (not matching like a suit)slacks/trousers
  • dinner jacket = a jacket for formal evening wear, conservatively tailored (shawl or peaked lapels), solid-colored, usually wool, and worn with solid (black) formal trousers

That's just my opinion in answer to your question.

PS I do agree with those that say he'd be in plenty of good company with a nice sport coat on a cruise.

Thank you very much for this post. This is what I will show hubby because I think it contains everything I asked about and also suggested that his sports coat and tie with nice shirt may be fine. He will ultimately decide if it is sufficient...but if not, you can find us "hiding" in the speciality restaurants!

Thanks!!!!

Dawn

Archived