Anyone else notice?

hermajestylanie

We have cruised twice, both times with John Heald as the CD. He is wonderful! However, we noticed that he does the exact same program and the exact same jokes. Not so bad... But we noticed something strange. He made fun of this elderly couple Dick and Anita... and we swear it was the same couple we saw the last cruise. He used the same names, I just thought he made up the names (even though the man had an ID card that said the name both times). Do they hire people like this to go on the cruise? Or was it just a strange thing that happened that this couple was on my caribbean cruise over a year ago and then on my mexico cruise recently?

I think thats why I dont mind mixing it up and going carnival some times and RCL sometimes. When you do the same ships too often, at least to me, I want a little change up. I like both, but dont like it when I know the punch line to jokes by heart lol.

PS no, they dont pay that couple to cruise ..but I bet its one of his standard lines so it just sounds so familiar to you? Who knows.

on our med. cruise with him - each night he would tell us about Anita and Dick who they held the ship for (reinforcing, of course the need to be tinely about all aboard) and then one night they missed the ship ;) and we picked them up at the next port. and it went on and on.

Since it was a 12 day cruise, after awhile you realized no one could be that dense about all aboard time.

We have cruised twice, both times with John Heald as the CD. He is wonderful! However, we noticed that he does the exact same program and the exact same jokes. Not so bad... But we noticed something strange. He made fun of this elderly couple Dick and Anita... and we swear it was the same couple we saw the last cruise. He used the same names, I just thought he made up the names (even though the man had an ID card that said the name both times). Do they hire people like this to go on the cruise? Or was it just a strange thing that happened that this couple was on my caribbean cruise over a year ago and then on my mexico cruise recently?

Of course he would use the same routine.....all comics due.

As for Dick and Anita....they could be real people who cruise a lot or just 2 characters that Heald makes up.

If you read his blog daily, you'll know he makes names up all the time..he's a master at word and name play.

YES! This routine was on our Europe 07 Freedom cruise. Anita & Dick Little....or as John said Anita Little...D :cool:

You're not dreaming OP. We've sailed with him 3 times (soon to be 4) and at least twice it was the same people. Our friends talked with the couple who said they get a "deep" discount but also said they kind of follow John and book his cruises.

I don't know how true it is that they get a discount but I know for a fact that at least twice and maybe even three times, we had the exact same Dick and Anita Little.

You're not dreaming OP. We've sailed with him 3 times (soon to be 4) and at least twice it was the same people. Our friends talked with the couple who said they get a "deep" discount but also said they kind of follow John and book his cruises.

I don't know how true it is that they get a discount but I know for a fact that at least twice and maybe even three times, we had the exact same Dick and Anita Little.

That makes sense. I knew they were the same people- I knew I recognized them. I think they also logged the most cruise time too...

I had a Dick Little on my Freedom cruise in 09...there was no Anita that time though.

Another commonly used one by John is Willy Banger, I'm not sure if he still uses it but he did years ago.

The first time I heard this I thought it was so hilarious and definitely figured it had to be real. I mean the guy had an ID and everything.

I won't lie, I was shocked when I saw the same EXACT routine again and I felt pretty stupid for falling for it the first time...I guess it really must be that hard for the CD's to change it up.

This explains a wholeeee lot lol

Come on people.....like OP said these are ACTORS! ;)

I love John and all his counterparts,but do wish they would get some new material. :rolleyes: Cruise Miracle in TWO DAYS! :D

flyingb

As for Dick and Anita....they could be real people who cruise a lot or just 2 characters that Heald makes up.

They are 2 characters that he makes up, part of his routine, very funny.

I wish he would change his routines, they are funny, but are getting old.

• 4 months later...

Dick Little (miraculously) was on our Magic Med voyage in May. Another Dick was on our 1st trip with John back in 94. I gotta give him credit though it gets a lotta laughs. he's a pro's pro.

Dick Little (miraculously) was on our Magic Med voyage in May. Another Dick was on our 1st trip with John back in 94. I gotta give him credit though it gets a lotta laughs. he's a pro's pro.

Well he stayed on all the way to our June 12th Magic cruise :rolleyes:. We had the "Trainers" who were late everyday getting back to the ship. I don't think we ever actually left them. John did say that we left a couple on their honeymoon who had rented a car to go to a Spa for the day. The car broke down, etc. I think this was in Naples. I kept wondering if he made this up as well. I think most people got a kick out of all of it so there was no harm done.

It doesn't matter which CD or which ship you are on CCL. Its the same jokes almost every night.

After you been on several CCL cruises you can name the jokes and routines yourself.

It would be nice if they would get some new jokes after 5 years or so.

Archived