Random thoughts from Marina's 3rd voyage

Paulchili

What's the perk of having a "butler"? Never had one so not real sure what they do!

The only time we used ours other than making a reservation in Polo or Toscana (which truthfully we can do easily enough) was when I blew out my knee just before boarding the ship and so we had many meals in our cabin. We also took advantage of the afternoon hors d'oeuvres.

But in fact, we can do without one quite easily! But I know many people really use them.

Oh, I lied ... Howard had his shoes shined once.

Are there refrigerators in the B4 cabins? If yes, where are they? Thanks.

There are refrigerators in every cabin. In OceanView and Veranda cabins, it is located in a cabinet at the end of the closet, under drawers and the safe.

There are refrigerators in every cabin. In OceanView and Veranda cabins, it is located in a cabinet at the end of the closet, under drawers and the safe.

In our B2 verandah cabin the bank of drawers under the safe cupboard beside the closet went all the way to the floor. The refrigerator was just around the corner to that, below a few narrow shelves (wide enough to hold the diet Coke cans we removed from the fridge (sorry Don!)) at the corner of the entry hallway. It is at floor level.

It is a little too small to hold a bottle of wine upright or lying flat but a a nice angle. I believe the same size was on the R ships.

Obviously I'm not Don but I am, unfortunately, able to comment on the medical services on Marina after a few visits during the maiden voyage (TA).

The physician impressed me with the very detailed history he took and the extensive physical exam he performed.

He is assisted by two women, one, definitely an RN. The other possibly an LPN. Both were warm and caring and to my untrained eye had the skills necessary for their profession..

The medical suite is located on deck 4. The non-medical provisions (waiting room furnishings etc) were definitely a work in progress. A chair or two outside the entrance would have been helpful.

They were not completely unpacked yet but each time I was there I could see things were improving i.e. the number of cartons decreasing.

Bottom line- I was satisfied with services I received.

Thank you for your reply. That helps.

After hearing about the 'tunnel vision' feeling you get from the veranda cabins with the deeper balconies, I called our TA to see if she could move us to another type of cabin. She said she would talk to her O representative Monday morning and get back to me. I'm hoping for an offer of an upgrade. We were offered an upgrade on our cruise last April after final payment deadline. The deadline for our Marina cruise was Friday!

Keep your fingers crossed for us!:D

After hearing about the 'tunnel vision' feeling you get from the veranda cabins with the deeper balconies, I called our TA to see if she could move us to another type of cabin. She said she would talk to her O representative Monday morning and get back to me. I'm hoping for an offer of an upgrade. We were offered an upgrade on our cruise last April after final payment deadline. The deadline for our Marina cruise was Friday!

Keep your fingers crossed for us!:D

Guess I missed reading about that...could you explain as we have a B4 with the deeper balcony coming up in 2 weeks...and I was planning on booking another one for the Marina T/A in Nov '12...thanks! LuAnn

Guess I missed reading about that...could you explain as we have a B4 with the deeper balcony coming up in 2 weeks...and I was planning on booking another one for the Marina T/A in Nov '12...thanks! LuAnn

Hi LuAnn,

Read posts 30 & 31 on the 34 Days Aboard Marina Thread. There are even some pictures.

Don mentions the tunnel vision effect and after thinking about it, I can see that is exactly how it would feel especially from the room. Also, when you go out to the railing, which we love to do, you are exposed to the cabins above you. Hope this helps.

Judy

What is the link to the bridge cam?

Thanks!

Judy

The web cams are now displayed on each of the "Explore shipaname" page pn the "Ship Information" tab. So if it was working you can find it on

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/marina/default.aspx

I am sure they had them all accessible from one page at one time but I don't see that now and with no information search available on their website that is the best I can find.

We had one of these balconied rooms on the Inaugural Passage and I would not rush back to book one. You can not see anything to the left or the right unless you go all the way out to the railing of the balcony. Sitting on the sofa in your room you just see the partitions. While I say I wouldn't rush back to book one, if that was all that was left, I would take one. I much prefer the aft end of the ship to the forward end.

We had a great day in Cartagena yesterday with an excellent private tour. Today is a sea day followed by Grand Cayman.

The seas were a little rough (not to much) and the cabin creaked. However, I must say that the cabin’s soundproofing is very good – we never heard any noise from any cabin above or next to us; nor from the hall.

Soon it will be time to pack….

Some more random thoughts – this time on things that I find annoying (but have nothing to do with me enjoying the cruise);

• Library – I cannot believe that the library does not have a World Atlas, despite being larger than the R ships’ libraries. While it is nice to have the “honor system” in place for checking out books without a dedicated librarian, it also has its pitfalls. The books are filed in a random fashion (by whom?). Thus, if you are looking for a book on Morocco it may very well be next to Copenhagen (as in fact it was when I checked). There should be a better (easier) filing system that would make it easy to place books on proper shelves in proper order. This should be looked after by a designated staff person that would correct this situation on a regular basis.
  • TV – Yesterday was Sunday and a sea day. Perfect time to relax, catch up on some reading or maybe on March madness back home (today are several important conference finals in college basketball). Instead the ESPN channel shows THREE B2B2B European soccer games. How many people on this ship really care what the score was in the Napoli vs Sampdoria game? Maybe 6 or 8? This was followed by car racing in Europe and then by everybody’s favorite - rugby. If Oceania is going to have an ESPN channel (and presumably pay for it) why not have a US/Canadian version of it, considering that the vast majority of passengers are from N. America? After all, there is already a sports channel called Sky Sports News that constantly talks about soccer, rugby and cricket. What is the point of having two “European” sports channels on an N. American cruise ship with predominantly N. American cruisers and who makes these decisions? I know, one does not come on a cruise to watch TV, but sometimes I like to catch up with news (even if it is BBC and not ABC/NBC/CBS) and watch some sports as well.
  • Trivia – This is one of our favorite pastimes on a cruise (and by the looks of it, we are not alone). It has been made clear from the beginning that teams are composed of no more than 8 players. Yet, at least 4 teams have consistently more players (anywhere from 10 to 12). More players does not automatically equal more knowledge, but as in all games 1st, 2nd and 3rd places are almost always decided by one point, the extra players on those teams just might make the difference. The Trivia is meant to be fun and a learning experience but cheating (such as using electronic devices, etc) is not allowed. Playing with 3 or 4 extra players is not fair play and amounts to cheating in my book. Why these teams don’t think that they are cheating is beyond me. When this was pointed out to Leslie and Natalie, they just shrugged their shoulders but did not address the issue. It certainly is not my place to say anything to these teams if Leslie chooses not to do so. The prizes are not a big deal but cheating is never nice, IMO.

BTW, we have won our share of points, not placing only twice so far – so this is not sour grapes.

RetiredFL – Don (Hondorner) has explained your reading light question very well and I have nothing to add.

David – Thank you. It’s the very least I can do to repay you for your wonderful reports. I cannot come even close to your great style – just posting my 2 cents’ worth

Didby – will try to do that

We had one of these balconied rooms on the Inaugural Passage and I would not rush back to book one. You can not see anything to the left or the right unless you go all the way out to the railing of the balcony. Sitting on the sofa in your room you just see the partitions. While I say I wouldn't rush back to book one, if that was all that was left, I would take one. I much prefer the aft end of the ship to the forward end.

Just talked to our TA and the best we can do at this time, since our cruise is sold out, is get a guarantee balcony cabin. We asked her to do that because we are sure we do not want our current cabin.

What is the link to the bridge cam?

Thanks!

Judy

http://www.kroooz-cams.com/nautica/nautica.php

Nice view from Nautica, perhaps in Shanghai since their itinerary may have been slightly modified due to the earthquake in Japan.

Kroooz-cams is showing Insignia, Nautica and Regatta Bridge or Computer Lab Cams. Marina's cams are supposedly "coming soon" but you could click on PortCams for a possible port sighting of Marina.

Hi LuAnn,

Read posts 30 & 31 on the 34 Days Aboard Marina Thread. There are even some pictures.

Don mentions the tunnel vision effect and after thinking about it, I can see that is exactly how it would feel especially from the room. Also, when you go out to the railing, which we love to do, you are exposed to the cabins above you. Hope this helps.

Judy

Will do! LuAnn

http://www.kroooz-cams.com/nautica/nautica.php

Nice view from Nautica, perhaps in Shanghai since their itinerary may have been slightly modified due to the earthquake in Japan.

Kroooz-cams is showing Insignia, Nautica and Regatta Bridge or Computer Lab Cams. Marina's cams are supposedly "coming soon" but you could click on PortCams for a possible port sighting of Marina.

Thank you SeaCCruiser!

I noticed on FB that Oceania posted the following: Due to latest events in Japan the current schedule of Nautica has been changed, calls in Hiroshima and Kobe have been cancelled and replaced with an extra day in Kaoshiung, Taiwan and an extra day in Shanghai. Guests will also have two days in Hong Kong.

Hi Paulchili - Glad to read that you're winning points in trivia. What's the scoop on using "old" Big O points? Are they being accepted? Or are they expired and useless?

The old points were still being accepted through the Inaugural Passage. We got twin Oceania Umbrellas. :D

Aren't you impressed with our frugality? TWO UMBRELLAS for only 60K!

The old points were still being accepted through the Inaugural Passage. We got twin Oceania Umbrellas. :D

Aren't you impressed with our frugality? TWO UMBRELLAS for only 60K!

I will die if I don't get a cabin on Riviera's MV so I can finally meet you both. Just love your humour & pictures. Maybe 1 of the crew will share with me if I miss out.

Rhonda

Archived