My cruise is cancelled!

kaj1436

I just got an email with a a notification that my 7 day cruise on the Valor for January 2012 has been cancelled! They are changing the itinerary to alternating 6 and 8 day cruises. I am in shock! They didn't even offer any kind of compensation for my inconvenience. I know it's a long way away and I haven't made any other travel arrangements but it's still a little disappointing.

Has this happened to anyone else? Did they offer you anything?

Now I have to go to the Carvival website and see what the new itineraries are. I just had to come to cruisecritic first and see if anyone else had posted anything about this new development.

My friend was booked on the Valor for April 15, 2012, and her cruise was canceled as well.

She is trying to find another cruise. She wasn't given an explanation or any offer. She's pretty upset about it too. Her whole family had booked with her. :(

It certainly is disappointing but unless you already paid for a flight to the departure city you're not out any money.

A few years back Carnival radically changed the itinerary for one of my group cruises with 300 folks booked. They offered us the option of canceling and getting our money back or accept the new itinerary. We were less than seven months out...

Last year I booked the 11/14 Pride cruise out of Baltimore. A couple of months before the cruise, they decided to put the ship in drydock earlier than originally scheduled, and so cancelled our cruise. Of course, I read about it here long before I heard about it from Carnival! When they finally sent me email, it contained an offer for $100 OBC if we sailed with them before 2012. We couldn't change our date because of my husband's job, so that left changing cruises... we found an NCL Jewel cruise out of NY that was even cheaper than the Pride had been and it had pretty much the same itinerary (which wasn't great to begin with!). Turned out fine, because we had a wonderful time and loved everything about the cruise! Now we're considering the Pride again for September, so that we can use our OBC. We'll see...

I checked website and the new interaries are not even on the website yet...I am on the phone with carnival now and they have the interary info but nothing else...no prices or offers. I am on hold.

the good news is that I was able to rebook the 8 day at the same rate that I had for the 7 day...just leaving a day earlier

the bad news is that I lost my awsome cabin 9200...supposedly already booked(don't know how that happened so fast, I just received the notice this morning.) I still got a a scenic oceanview 9198 but it's not the 320 sq. ft. I was so looking forward to.

Oh well...guess I shouldn't complain too much...I wonder what the new prices would have been...that is the question. Then we will see how good of a deal I got. lol

the good news is that I was able to rebook the 8 day at the same rate that I had for the 7 day...just leaving a day earlier

the bad news is that I lost my awsome cabin 9200...supposedly already booked(don't know how that happened so fast, I just received the notice this morning.) I still got a a scenic oceanview 9198 but it's not the 320 sq. ft. I was so looking forward to.

Oh well...guess I shouldn't complain too much...I wonder what the new prices would have been...that is the question. Then we will see how good of a deal I got. lol

Keep watching, they have a way of re-appearing when someone cancels.

I still think they should have given me the courtesy to rebook 9200 first before allowing anyone else to book it. It would have taken a phone call. That would have been good customer service. I'm curious how much was paid for that cabin. If they got the same price protection that I did then it is not fair..if they paid the new cruise fare then carnival is just being greedy.

Almost sounds like the Valor will be taking the Freedom routes...did the itin change or just the days???

I was giving the new itinerary for January 21 is:

Grand Turk

La Romana

Curacao

Aruba

I think this is a better intineray than the 7 day one I had. But then again I have never been to any of these ports so I don't know if they are good?

To the OP:

Yes it happened to us on our first cruise ever and we were only two months away from the cruise. But to be fair it wasn't Carnival's fault. Hurricane Katrina destroyed the Port of New Orleans and everything in its path. Carnival had no choice but to go to Galveston.

Carnival offered everyone the choice of cancelling the cruise at full refund or keeping our reservations and sailing from Galveston. Since I had family and friends flying in from Texas, Arizonia and Nevada to meet me we kept the cruise in place. It was cheaper for them this way then risking cancellations fees on their plane tickets.

It happens. Cruiselines are big corporations and are responsible to their stockholders. Be glad that you were given advance notice. At least you can still leave from your original port of departure. Look at what is going to happen to the people who cruise from Mobile, Alabama. They will now have to leave from New Orleans or Florida.

As far as a call, I think it depends on your relationship with your booking agent. My PVP would have been on the phone to me when she got in, so thats probably how some got booked before you did.

so is it worth a call to my pvp and letting her know that I am disappointed in her customer service?

I was giving the new itinerary for January 21 is:

Grand Turk

La Romana

Curacao

Aruba

I think this is a better intineray than the 7 day one I had. But then again I have never been to any of these ports so I don't know if they are good?

You came out much better IMO........

Those ports are AMAZING. My favorite cruise so far. We're actually waiting for the rest of Oct 2012 to come out to see if that will be offered. I did a review (search for Aruba Anyone) with lots of photos and info on the ports. You'll love it!!!

You're are right..I should be looking at the positive and not the negative...keep telling myself that!!

Looks like you have a brand new adventure ahead of you with brand new ports of call to research and enjoy. And you get an extra day to be pampered on the ship.

Enjoy!

Dianne

I just got an email with a a notification that my 7 day cruise on the Valor for January 2012 has been cancelled! They are changing the itinerary to alternating 6 and 8 day cruises. I am in shock! They didn't even offer any kind of compensation for my inconvenience. I know it's a long way away and I haven't made any other travel arrangements but it's still a little disappointing.

Has this happened to anyone else? Did they offer you anything?

Now I have to go to the Carvival website and see what the new itineraries are. I just had to come to cruisecritic first and see if anyone else had posted anything about this new development.

Does anyone know when the change to alternating 6 & 8 day itineraries begins? I am booked for the November 6th cruise on the Valor and have heard nothing. Does that mean that I am OK? My vacation time is fixed, so if this is changed, I need to rebook right away.

Archived