Recap of first-time-ever NCLer going on EPIC . . .

DGP1111

I am so glad I found this site, and in particular your excellent review of the Epic Eastern Caribbean sailing, Don. I am taking my first ever cruise leaving on 31 December 2011, and have chosen the Epic. I will be travelling as a solo passenger and flying from my native Scotland to US, Miami to board the ship.

I confess I was extremely nervous, but your in depth review has made me so excited I can't wait!! :)

Can you tell me anything about any activities that they organise specifically for solo travellers? I assume there must be an introductory meeting early on in the cruise?

Thanks ~ April

Edited by April_2000

Hey Don - quick question for you (or anyone who can answer)...

To your knowledge, have the Studio cabins been available for booking TWO people all along, or is that a somewhat recent change in NCL policy?

THANKS

Tom

Edited by Tom-n-Cheryl

The studios were originally designed to be able to accomodate two people in that 100 sq ft space - - Yowza :eek:

After bookings were not "on pace" for what NCL expected, there was a change to make it a single-passenger experience, and thus began the marketing focus on the solo passenger for NCL.

You could still book two people in them, but (to my reading) most couples who have chosen to do the Studio thing have booked two adjoining studios, leaving the door open between them. This allows them to have two bathrooms and two storage areas, yet still have the double bed (two, actually) to share.

The cost would basically be the same having two people in two connecting studios as it would be for having two people in the same studio.

Edited by DGP1111
grammar

The studios were originally designed to be able to accomodate two people in that 100 sq ft space - - Yowza :eek:

After bookings were not "on pace" for what NCL expected, there was a change to make it a single-passenger experience, and thus began the marketing focus on the solo passenger for NCL.

You could still book two people in them, but (to my reading) most couples who have chosen to do the Studio thing have booked two adjoining studios, leaving the door open between them. This allows them to have two bathrooms and two storage areas, yet still have the double bed (two, actually) to share.

The cost would basically be the same having two people in two connecting studios as it would be for having two people in the same studio.

Very interesting!

Thanks,

Tom

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Awesome review Don ! Between you and Tom, you are really swaying me to book the Epic for next winter.

Many CCL cruises under our belt, but they are beginning to get stale, ready to try something new. We have 3 CCL cruises for this yr left to go and European next June, but I think that will be the last CCL cruise for a bit. Very tired of the lame Platinum perks and lack of suite ammenities.

Maybe our paths will cross on a NCL ship one day.

Again I really enjoyed your review, many thanks.

I would enjoy that!!! :)

Thanks for the kind words.

Well I already told Tom, we booked the EPIC for 2/22/12 the other day ! Booked a penthouse villa, suite whateva they call it on deck 17. wooohoo I am beyong being giddy!

Then this mornin I canx our Ecstasy cruise for this Nov and booked a NCL cruise out of Tampa instead. Booked an aft penthouse balcony for that one. I think it's the Star, have to look at my confirmation email.

I told Tom you and he made me do it lol.

So I have a lot to read and learn bout NCL, but it all sounds awesome !

Time for a change, CCL is fine, but I'm ready to start building a new loyality program.

Thanks again for your review Don, it really helped me make up my mind.

Wow, what a review! I think I need to book the EPIC!!

We are booked on the Sun for January 2012, and I think I read somewhere that you were booked for October on the Sun. It would be awesome to read all about your experience on that ship as well. Thanks so much for your time and effort putting this review together - NCL should be thanking you for all the people you have sent to book the Epic!

Happy sailing everyone!

Wow, what a review! I think I need to book the EPIC!!

We are booked on the Sun for January 2012, and I think I read somewhere that you were booked for October on the Sun. It would be awesome to read all about your experience on that ship as well. Thanks so much for your time and effort putting this review together - NCL should be thanking you for all the people you have sent to book the Epic!

Happy sailing everyone!

I trust Don's opinion, having sailed with him a few times. Once I heard that he had booked this sailing (sometime last year) I looked closer at this ship, and indeed this line -- something I had previously just brushed off.

He was RIGHT - we had a SUPER time!

Tom

Just wanted to say THANKS for the awesome review!!! I enjoyed it so much. Now I know for sure we will be booking the Epic for our next cruise (after the next one;))

NCL should pay you for advertising!!

Also I have to say, as a previous Carnival passenger, I really did laugh out loud at the bacon and sausage guards! So true...I never thought about it.

Happy sails to you:)

Was poking around on NCL website and noticed if we changed the date to 2/4/12, we could get a 2 bedroom penthouse villa for a little cheaper that the penthouse courtyard balcony cabin we had booked for 2/25.....so I called my pvp and snapped that puppy up !

Saw the 360 view of the suite and it sure is SWEET.

Now I have a question, do we get the 3 bottles of hooch with that cabin ? I forgot to ask my pvp.

Thanks.

Was poking around on NCL website and noticed if we changed the date to 2/4/12, we could get a 2 bedroom penthouse villa for a little cheaper that the penthouse courtyard balcony cabin we had booked for 2/25.....so I called my pvp and snapped that puppy up !

Now I have a question, do we get the 3 bottles of hooch with that cabin ? I forgot to ask my pvp.

Thanks.

I know why you REALLY switched the date... it was to get on the ship SOONER! :D

When you say "2 bedroom penthouse villa" are you talking about the:

Courtyard Villa with Balcony

With a living room, dining area, separate bedroom with queen-size bed and private balcony, these Villas have a maximum capacity of six and are perfect for the whole family. They feature two bathrooms, additional bedding to accommodate four more guests and exclusive access to the Courtyard area, Concierge Lounge and private restaurant and bar. Includes butler and concierge service.

Approx Square Footage*: 506 (including balcony)

Max Capacity: 6

That's a super room - though you don't get the included liquor until the Owner's Suite level or above. We were fortunate enough to have someone on our sailing (in our CC roll call) who was doing a B2B, so they were on the week before. They were kind enough ( :D ) to pick up a couple of bottles of Grey Goose on the first leg of their sailing for us! By buying them the first week, they were delivered to their cabin on the last night of that sailing. The next afternoon, we managed to meet them and pick up our alcohol! Interestingly enough, I had asked the same of a B2B cruiser the prior month for our Miracle cruise. You would have thought I had asked her to smuggle drugs onto the ship for us or something! :eek:

Tom

well yes and yes......

sorry if I called the suite by the wrong name, yes it's a 2 bedroom. awesome. We might have a friend who will go with us, if not I have a place to sleep if John is snoring badly haha.

Guess I will call bon voyage and order some liquor as it gets closer to cruise time.

thanks for the info.

Jeez, I would have happily picked you up some booze, some people !

Edited by iluvdoxies

Thanks.

Hey, that's when we are going too!! ;) Have you stopped by the roll call?? http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1360189

Edited by happy cruzin

well yes and yes......

sorry if I called the suite by the wrong name, yes it's a 2 bedroom. awesome. We might have a friend who will go with us, if not I have a place to sleep if John is snoring badly haha.

Guess I will call bon voyage and order some liquor as it gets closer to cruise time.

thanks for the info.

Jeez, I would have happily picked you up some booze, some people !

Me too!! :cool:

I trust Don's opinion, having sailed with him a few times. Once I heard that he had booked this sailing (sometime last year) I looked closer at this ship, and indeed this line -- something I had previously just brushed off.

He was RIGHT - we had a SUPER time!

Tom

Which is EXACTLY why you should book again!! ;) Maybe the 2/4/12 sailing?? :confused: :D

Which is EXACTLY why you should book again!! ;) Maybe the 2/4/12 sailing?? :confused:

We would LOVE to sail with you guys again... though our 1/28/12 Eclipse cruise is a bit of a complication! I just noticed that the letters for the word EPIC can be found in the first five letters of ECLIPSE!!! :D

You know, we got to thinking about it and decided that since we get off our second cruise on the Epic on December 3rd (2011), that we did not want to get back on again a 3rd time so soon -- 9 weeks later.... :(

Hey -- we were trying to get you guys to sail on the Epic with us 11/26/11 -- but NOOOOOO you had that darn Carnival Magic cruise on December 4th! LOL :D

I am sure that BOTH of those will be great cruises (though the Epic will be REALLY great)! :cool:

Tom

We would LOVE to sail with you guys again... though our 1/28/12 Eclipse cruise is a bit of a complication! I just noticed that the letters for the word EPIC can be found in the first five letters of ECLIPSE!!! :D

You know, we got to thinking about it and decided that since we get off our second cruise on the Epic on December 3rd (2011), that we did not want to get back on again a 3rd time so soon -- 9 weeks later.... :(

Hey -- we were trying to get you guys to sail on the Epic with us 11/26/11 -- but NOOOOOO you had that darn Carnival Magic cruise on December 4th! LOL :D

I am sure that BOTH of those will be great cruises (though the Epic will be REALLY great)! :cool:

Tom

LOL....yeah, yeah, yeah.....

We just have to get better at coordinating our calendars....that's all!! ;) :D

You know guys, NCL has other ships besides EPIC that are pretty dang awesome as well....just sayin' :D

Looking forward to our quickie (2-nighter) on the Pearl in October. The Sky was just OK. I think if we had not sailed in a suite, perhaps even less so.

Tom

Looking forward to our quickie (2-nighter) on the Pearl in October. The Sky was just OK. I think if we had not sailed in a suite, perhaps even less so.

Tom

The Sky and Epic are likely worlds apart...there are many ships in between :)

Don & Tom, You have given us a wealth of information on the Epic. Thank you for taking so much of your time to share your experience with us. Your candor and humor is simply amazing! We (21 in my group) will be sailing out of Barcelona in Oct. This is my first NCL cruise although we have sailed plenty with Princess and Celebrity.

Trust you will continue to have wonderful experiences in your future travels.

Pinkie:o