Recap of first-time-ever NCLer going on EPIC . . .

DGP1111

. . . On a side note, I believe we have met in the past. We ate breakfast together in the dining room on the Carnival Freedom one December morning.

. . . Don I met you back in 2008 on the Freedom along with DizneyDawn. Great conversation then exciting review now.

I remember that morning very well. Round 10-top on the first level of the aft dining room. :)

Thanks for the kind comments about my goofus rambling recap -- much appreciated.:)

I hope you will book EPIC, and have the same glorious time that I did. Enjoy enjoy enjoy!! :D

What a fantastic review!

Restaurants have tables, water slides use water, bars have vodka, guitarists play guitars, comedians make jokes!

The food masterpieces (meatloafs, ketchup, bacon, bread, gelatinous desserts) make me drool. Wait, I saw that yesterday in our local town buffet ($15 pp).

Is it all possible on a cruise ship? Wow...

What ship is this?

-----------

Seriously, well done comics.

Fits the target group perfectly.

Funny, enjoyable reading.

Thanx.

Don if you thought that review was a goofus ramble.. I have to buy you a drink next time I see you on a ship.... We are already planning on booking the Epic for Nov,2012. I'm sure in our travels we will cross paths again.

I respect your thoughts on cruising.... Honestly this review put it over the top for me jumping on board...

I remember that morning very well. Round 10-top on the first level of the aft dining room. :)

Thanks for the kind comments about my goofus rambling recap -- much appreciated.:)

I hope you will book EPIC, and have the same glorious time that I did. Enjoy enjoy enjoy!! :D

Norwegian Epic is the ship....

What a fantastic review!

Restaurants have tables, water slides use water, bars have vodka, guitarists play guitars, comedians make jokes!

The food masterpieces (meatloafs, ketchup, bacon, bread, gelatinous desserts) make me drool. Wait, I saw that yesterday in our local town buffet ($15 pp).

Is it all possible on a cruise ship? Wow...

What ship is this?

-----------

Seriously, well done comics.

Fits the target group perfectly.

Funny, enjoyable reading.

Thanx.

Don, very cool that you remember all three of us! :) Any chance you will also book the 11-10-12? I know you already have the week prior but we are doing western!

Mike, so glad I have convinced you to book this cruise on 11-10-12! Hope you can get a big group, always more fun that way!:D

Can you fill me in on what POSH is all about?

Sure. What do you need to know?

Posh is an area above the pool deck near the suites, on deck 19 and 20, that is for exclusive use for the suite guests except for a limited amount of passes they sell to other passengers. There's a bar, padded sun loungers, seats with tables and umbrellas, etc. When I was on the ship it was virtually empty, but I understand it's grown more popular in the last year. The real draw is to get away from any crowds down on the pool deck and hang out in a bit more comfort (padded seats)

I posted a bunch of pictures in this thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1382093

I can only speak for myself -- we took the Sky 3 night in June of last year, as I wanted to get a taste of NCL prior to our Epic sailing. We were in a suite on the Sky, so the experience was superior to many Carnival sailings we have had - though I was not a big fan of the ship itself. If you were in standard accommodations, there would not be a great number of differences between the Sky and a short Carnival sailing. The difference between the Epic and the Sky was substantial. We have not been on any other NCL ship, but I have read some nice reviews of them.

Bottom line - the short NCL sailings should make for a good time, but don't let that "make or break" NCL in your mind. I feel the Epic stands alone in their fleet. I look forward to what they are going to put together for their two new builds!

Tom

Thanks for posting so much great info!

I noticed you have been on both sky and sensation. I will be going on my first cruise this August. Do you have a first choice between these two ships?

Right now i want to be on Epic!!! :D

But want to go on a short cruise first to see how things go.

It was totally non-stop freakin' awesome!!!

Hey, I didn't say the 'big disappointment' would be mine, now did I??? :p

(so Cheerleaders, sit back, save your energies, and enjoy this short journey along with me). :)

Don-I absolutely loved your review! I feel like i experienced this cruise right along with you. Fantastic job, can't wait to go on my first cruise this August.

Thank you so much for the time you put into this! :)

Don,

This was truly a dream worthy post. I read it before bed and had plenty of Epic dreams. I had decided, before your post, that Epic would not be my cup of tea based on the size (not fond of the super-ships) and the reviews posted here (I am a shy pee-er and am not a fan of the open bathrooms) but after your post here, I am thinking we may give it a try.

I think you should contact The Travel Channel and pitch to them an idea for a new travel show "Cruising Solo!" I have often wondered if I could go it solo and enjoy the full experience. You truly do that and then some.

I look forward to other reviews as you continue your NCL experience. It is a shame that you are not on the Star--Jan 29, 2012 so we could share it with you.

Thanks for posting so much great info!

I noticed you have been on both sky and sensation. I will be going on my first cruise this August. Do you have a first choice between these two ships?

Right now i want to be on Epic!!! :D

But want to go on a short cruise first to see how things go.

That would be a tough call...

If you were in a suite I would say the Sky. If not, then I would opt for the Sensation. Having been on the Sensation more than 10 times, I feel quite comfortable there - and having only spent 3 days on the Sky I find it difficult to adequately compare the two. My guess is that the main dining room food will be superior on the Sensation.

I guess we need to go on the Sky again for another look!!

Tom

Amazing review! I'm always active on here until our cruise, then almost can't stand to be here when we don't have a cruise planned. We've been looking for something for next March for our 10th anniversary, and are now strongly considering the Epic.

Next on my to-do list is to find Mike's review and find some good reviews of the family cabins. Thanks again Don (and Tom [and Cheryl])!

edit: wow.. guess it's time to update my signature! Can't believe it's been that long!

Edited by Ffej207

For Monday's dinner it was off to another dining experience that could be called 'entertainment and eats', although not actually marketed that way. We were on our merry chopsticks way to Teppanyaki.

I'd taken a few pictures earlier sans passenger diners . . .

1229230600_bdiDQ-XL.jpg

1229230478_hRpEB-XL.jpg

1229230521_ZBBqg-XL.jpg

1229176339_McsN9-XL.jpg

Don, Amazing review.

A silly but big question for me is did you see any teriyaki sauce or spicy sause available? Not a fan of creamy sauces. I eat Teppan at least weekly here in CA. Thanks for any help!!

Don - I hope it's ok that I put a link to your review in my signature area (along with mine). Let me know if you would prefer that I remove it. I refer to yours so often I thought it would be easier to just have it accessible. :)

Another sincere THANK YOU for all the recent positive comments. Greatly appreciated. :)

. . . did you see any teriyaki sauce or spicy sause available? Not a fan of creamy sauces. I eat Teppan at least weekly here in CA. Thanks for any help!!

There definitely was teriyaki sauce available on the night dining there.

Enjoy your meal!! :)

. . . Let me know if you would prefer that I remove it. I refer to yours so often I thought it would be easier to just have it accessible.

Mike, it is a real honor to have you post that for the assistance of others. Not a problem in any way whatsoever.

Thanks big bunches!! :)

Thank you for the extensive write up... It's nice to get the feel of a ship before boarding! We'll be on the Epic soon enough.

Make sure to report back on your experience, good and bad. The more the merrier for a year old ship.

What can I say, besides "WOW". Our family is planning our very first cruise ever, on the Pearl - to Alaska in June of 2012. But I love to read reviews of and/all NCL cruises. I think it will give us an idea of what to expect of NCL as a whole.

Your review was Amazing! I can't believe how much detail you put into it. I just finished reading (after several days) all 29 pages. Unfortunately, I've been reading on breaks at work, and our work computers won't let us see the pictures. So, I'll spend some time at home this weekend going through the entire review again so I can enjoy the pics that everyone was raving about.

Of course our cruise will be different, because of a different ship, different itenerary, different people...but I plan to have your great attitude along with us!

• 2 weeks later...

I became frustrated when compiling the recap that I couldn't find the exact details of that debarkation morning, concerning breakfast options and the schedule for exit by colors. I knew I still had that paper.

Well, this morning, as I'm packing for another trip, I open the zippered lining on that rolling tote, and Voila. Oh, so that's where it was.

Duh :o

Anyway . . . .

Debark-Morning-1-L.jpg

Debark-Morning-2-L.jpg

Don,

Any chance that you plan to contiune providing similar accounts of the rest of your upcoming NCL sailings :confused:??

We are booked on the Epic - thanks to you, Tom and Cheryl. But we are interested in hearing/learning about other NCL ships - and think your experiences would be helpful, in case we are interested in contiuning our NCL adventures! ;) :D

Don,

Thanks for the VERY thorough review. I'm Diamond on Royal Caribbean and have only been 'disloyal to Royal' once previously. I may cheat on her again next summer on a Mediterranean cruise aboard EPIC. Congrats - you may have driven me into the arms of another! :)

Dave