Any good recent upgrade stories?

webfoot3

On our February 26th cruise on the Noordam, we booked a VH guarantee and received an upgrade all the way to Category VB! It was wonderful! It all depends on how fast the ship fills up. If it books up way in advance you will not receive much of an upgrade.

Sept 10 Alaska: booked the cheapest inside room available. "Upgraded" to an outside with 2 portholes. For us, it was great!

Jan 11 Partial Panama Canal: Booked cheapest inside (again). Upgraded 5 letters up--which meant for us that we didn't have to use the elevator and could just take the stairs. Loved it!

July 11: North Cape Splendor: Booked cheapest inside on a 3 day sale months ago--same cat MM guaranteed. Same cat is now $400 higher! Hoping for an upgrade or upsell. . .

Just back from 2 week transit of Panama Canal on the Rotterdam. We booked the cheapest inside (MM) and got an upgrade to outside cabin © on deck 3 forward. Out the door we were in the Atrium and could walk right up to decks 4 and 5 where most everything is located (except for Lido on deck 8). Forward elevators were right there too. Also out the door and 180 and we were on the promenade (outside) deck with deck chairs right there. For us it was an amazing upgrade.

We are 4 star on HAL (over 300 days) and usually just book an inside cabin on the lower promenade deck which is convenient for walking. Over the years we have been upgraded to an outside cabin on the same deck. However on one of our cruises on the Ryndam to Alaska 2009 out of Vancouver (14-day) we were "upgraded" to an outside cabin on the bottom deck over the boiler room. We asked for our original cabin back but couldn't get it. (Not even on the second 7 days!) It was terrible and one of our most disappointing cruises. We had been to Alaska many times before and always enjoyed it. :(

On our 10-day Panama Canal cruise on Zuiderdam in March, we had booked an SY with a cabin assignment. About 4-5 days before departure, while checking the online status of a waitlisted shore excursion, I discovered that we had been upgraded to an SB deluxe suite.

I upgraded from VF to VA today. Granted it was a slight price increase.. (I guess more of an upsell??) The original VF cabin had the steel verandah railing instead of clear plexiglass and beneath us was the Vista Lounge, so I consider it well worth the $.

I upgraded from VF to VA today. Granted it was a slight price increase.. (I guess more of an upsell??) The original VF cabin had the steel verandah railing instead of clear plexiglass and beneath us was the Vista Lounge, so I consider it well worth the $.

Would you mind sharing the cost of the upsell (per person)? Thank you

Would you mind sharing the cost of the upsell (per person)? Thank you

Eeek, hope hubby doesn't see this, lol: $500 for 2 people. :p

We're newbies to HAL and upgrades so to me, the price was worth it in comparison to where we would have been. Especially since this is our honeymoon trip :)

We always book our cabins - so we are not 'guarantees', but we have had a couple of upsell offers (cheaper than the cost if you booked). The first was years ago on our South America cruise to a deluxe verandah suite (big mistake :p). Last year, we got the offer for the penthouse. and we took it. It will never, ever happen again, but it was a truly neat experience. :)

Received a call from our TA this afternonn. Hal offered upsell from deluxe veranda to PH for $599 pp on Maasdam. Turned it down, we sure don't need the extra room for that much money!

Well I started out at VH veranda guarantee then got an upsell to a SZ guarantee, very good price, well, got our room assignment today and got a deluxe suite. my son and I will be a 3 day pacific northwest coastal up to vancouver. Looking forward to a wonderful 3 days.. Thankyou Holland America

A couple checks in for a cruise. They are 3 star Mariners.

They ask the check-in agent if they received an upgrade.

Agent looks at their record in computer and says

the room is the same as printed on their Signature Boarding Pass.

Husband says nothing. Wife is irritated and says "We've never gotten an upgrade on Holland America." Turning to her husband, she says

"I told you so. Holland America NEVER gives upgrades. Princess always does." :rolleyes:

My son and I haven't received our assignment yet for our May 21 cruise on the Noordam. However, our TA was able to get us an awesome upgrade. We had booked an MM GTY, the cheapest that was available at the time we booked. Then after final payment the price went way down. Since the VH GTY was now the same price as the MM GTY I couldn't resist and asked our TA if she would call HAL. I thought maybe we would get an upsell offer or onboard credit. Instead HAL gave us the VH for our original booking price. I couldn't believe it! It was a savings of $500 pp for the VH! :D The offer did require a new booking number but our TA was such a sweetheart and cancelled then rebooked every single shore excursion for us herself.

Diane

We just cruised on the Zaandam April 10 to sea of cortez. We had booked the lowest verandah category and were offered a superior suite for 700 each. The cost then compared to an ocean view of our previous 17 day to Hawaii. I have never experienced anything like the superior suite. It was so amazing we are spoiled forever. The neptune lounge, the number of receptions and dinners with the captain all of the perks. We loved it. If you are ever offered this jump at it. You will be pleased. Sandra

Received a call from our TA this afternonn. Hal offered upsell from deluxe veranda to PH for $599 pp on Maasdam. Turned it down, we sure don't need the extra room for that much money!

Boy, you have a lot more will power than I do ;) If you don't mind me asking, how long is your cruise - 7 days or longer?

On our recent 30 day Hawaii Tahiti cruise we originally booked a Cat G oceanview. I just wanted a balcony so bad (40 th anniversary) but to upgrade was $6,000.00 more! Just too much money. I kept calling back and the ta would call HAL. Two days before we boarded I called. No deal, still $6,000.00. The last afternoon before we boarded I called one last time. The price was $1,200.00 pp. I told the TA to offer $1,000.00 pp. She called back with $1,099.00 we agreed.

I will tell you that was the best $2,000.00 I have ever spent in my life. We used that balcony more than the room itself! The cabin was in a great location right in the middle of the ship and convenient to everything.

Thanks HAL for making my 40th Anniversary so special

Helen

Which cruise and date? I think I would actually take it.....

Dennis

Archived