HAL needs some new itineraries in the Caribbean

m steve

I'm sure that some of these cruises are new to people but so many of us are 2+ mariners and would like a few new ports. They are still offering cruises that we took 3 and 4 years ago with no variation or even a change of ships. Since HAL ships are of a more reasonable size I'm sure that there are ports that could take them. How about your thoughts?

I'm sure that some of these cruises are new to people but so many of us are 2+ mariners and would like a few new ports. They are still offering cruises that we took 3 and 4 years ago with no variation or even a change of ships. Since HAL ships are of a more reasonable size I'm sure that there are ports that could take them. How about your thoughts?

Anything over 70GRT is pretty big and that is half of the fleet at this point. HAL is fond of talking about thier mid-sized ships. Keep in mind that the new ships in the fleet are twice the GRT of Tiantic.

More interesting ports (less visited) means limited access and limited services once there - at least without a big cruiseline investment in local infrastructure. Where did you have in mind?

I'm not sure if it's still done but I can remember when Cozumel ships would put off on a tender for those wanting to head over to the mainland for the day. I was kinda of thinking that might make sense for the Sint Maaten stop for those wanting to go to one of the out lying islands for the day - save the trouble of a two way ferry.

We've sailed the Caribbean at least 40+ cruises and we still enjoy it.

I think Maasdam has some good Caribbean itineraries and we've sailed some less frequented ports in recent years on her. St. Barts, St. Kitt's, Bonaire, St. Vincent, Samana, St. Croix ....... those ports aren't as common as the usual ones.

There are just so many islands that have enough infrastructure to support cruise ships calling. Until they 'grow' more islands, there are only so many to choose from.

We are really at the point the ship is more our desintation than the islands but I always take notice if there is an less usual port included.

Depends on what you are looking for.

If in the Caribbean, many of the islands are going to very alike. That is the lifestyle, weather, and cruises/tourism a major source of their revenue. How different can they make the experience? Perhaps you are tired of warm weather, beach style vacations and should look at other destinations? Maybe it's time to go skiing? :D

This sounds like a great thread for "where would you want to go?"

Really my only problem with HAL is they bring you back to FLA. I would much rather be dumped off permanently in San Juan or St. Thomas. Did think of jumping ship the last time I was there.

What other ports would be interesting?

If the number of days (7) is not extended I think the Caribbean choices out of Florida is limited.

Now if HAL left from San Juan that would really change things.

We did a seven day cruise from FLL on Westerdam to Curacao, Aruba and HMC. It was great.

I agree that at the minimum there ought to be a "shake-up" as to what vessels sail the different itineraries. The Noordam and Zuiderdam have done the same 10 day itineraries for at least the past two years, as an example of what I am saying. When the Nieuw Amsterdam's initial Caribbean season was announced, I was disappointed that her two itineraries were, well, so bland. Sail7Seas is correct in what she said about the Maasdam's itineraries. I would like to see one or two of the larger vessels sail that kind of an itinerary as well.

Princess is able to sell a 14 day itinerary on the Grand Princess. I wonder why HAL does not at least try to do so as well.

I agree

HAL schedules are getting boring -- especially for those of us who like the larger ships

far too many 7 day itineraries -- i know -- get them on the ship -- get their money -- get them off the ship

I don't think that cruising the larger ships is not going to get you to new desitinations. The competetion is firece to fill these ships and the normal vacation taken for working Americans is less than 5 days in a row. If only we were as civilized as the Europeans. Smaller ships are the answer to diverse and longer itineraries - and the tariff increases as the costs per passenger increases.

Having said that I am very pleased with my up-coming Easter 7 day Carribean itinerary which will avoid St. Thomas in favor of Sint Maarten. We also get Grand Turk instead of Nassau. I love that I'll go to two new places that my previous 3 EC cruises by-passed for other ports.

I also note that many of the Western itineraries have forgone Grand Cayman and Jamaica for other destinations like Beilize and Hondouras. I might be wrong but I also think HAL might be alone in doing 7 day South Carib itinieraries. They have more sea days but there is lots of sea to cover to get down to the ABC's.

We did a seven day cruise from FLL on Westerdam to Curacao, Aruba and HMC. It was great.

Yeah I saw that. I guess if you have three sea days you can hit some different ports.

It's interesting that they hit former Dutch colonies on that itinerary.

There are only so many islands, and a certain range of sailing miles within a 7 day, or 10 day time frame. The Caribbean hasn't grown, nor added any islands, although the cruise lines have added some ports- that they built themselves.

That being said, after 5 cruises in the Caribbean over the last 20 years, we are going on a 14 day route in December that has 4 or 5 new ports, and only 3 repeats.

I don't think that cruising the larger ships is not going to get you to new desitinations. The competetion is firece to fill these ships and the normal vacation taken for working Americans is less than 5 days in a row. If only we were as civilized as the Europeans. Smaller ships are the answer to diverse and longer itineraries - and the tariff increases as the costs per passenger increases.

Having said that I am very pleased with my up-coming Easter 7 day Carribean itinerary which will avoid St. Thomas in favor of Sint Maarten. We also get Grand Turk instead of Nassau. I love that I'll go to two new places that my previous 3 EC cruises by-passed for other ports.

I also note that many of the Western itineraries have forgone Grand Cayman and Jamaica for other destinations like Beilize and Hondouras. I might be wrong but I also think HAL might be alone in doing 7 day South Carib itinieraries. They have more sea days but there is lots of sea to cover to get down to the ABC's.

We have been to belize and hondouras many times -- we first were at those ports back in the early 90's on NCL -- hal wasn't even going there then

we have done all hal ports many, many times

hal used to do 14 day southern caribbean cruises out of tampa -- they were great -- now they are gone

hal used to do two different 10 day itineraries out of san diego - they are gone

If the number of days (7) is not extended I think the Caribbean choices out of Florida is limited.

Now if HAL left from San Juan that would really change things.

we used to do cruises out of san juan years ago -- cuard and princess -- and then it was just one connection on the planes

now we no longer have direct flights to anywhere -- so i would hate to see how many connections we have to do just to get san juan - therefore we would never consider a cruise from that port

Yeah I saw that. I guess if you have three sea days you can hit some different ports.

It's interesting that they hit former Dutch colonies on that itinerary.

We have been to belize and hondouras many times -- we first were at those ports back in the early 90's on NCL -- hal wasn't even going there then

we have done all hal ports many, many times

hal used to do 14 day southern caribbean cruises out of tampa -- they were great -- now they are gone

hal used to do two different 10 day itineraries out of san diego - they are gone

If those itineraries did well and made money, they would still be offered. It is probable they were not popular enough and profitable enough to continue.

I take it for granted that I live near NYC, but even then San Juan does add obstacles to any journey.

I wonder if a sea day would be needed to visit St. Kitts or Antigua from Florida?

We went to St Kitts, and all the way to Trinidad on a HAL 10 day cruise a number of years ago.

I agree with you M Steve!

There are some islands that I would love to sail to with HAL that either they don't go to or if they do, they are often on the Prinsendam which is too expensive for me to book.

There are some that are near islands that HAL sail to right now that I would love to see added. There are a few that I visited on my own and really enjoyed them. Here are some that I would love for HAL to pick up.

Anguilla This island is right next to St. Martin and is a beach lover's dream. It was also laid back and no so touristy.

Saba Also near St. Martin. Got some friends who stayed on St Martin and also on Saba for three days and rave about the charm.

Nevis Got a chance to just do a short tour of this island in December and love for HAL to visit.

Antigua and Barbuda another set of islands that I would love to visit

Montserrat

Tobago The Prinsendam stop here on the December cruises.

St. Bart I knows that the Maasdam visit here on the 14 day cruise, but prehaps on a seven day to replace this with St. Martin on certain seven day sailings?

I know that HAL seven day cruise to Aurba and Curacao is one that's outside the norm and wonder if HAL can offer certain 7 or 10 day sailing to some of the islands that I mention.

Just my two cents. :D

That's why we switched from the Noordam to the Maasdam.... LOVE that itinerary! As much as I'd love to do the Eurodam or NA, I'm not crazy about the itineraries. And don't really like 7 day cruises...even if we did a B2B.

I don't know why they can't offer more creative Caribbean itineraries :confused:

I agree with you M Steve!

There are some islands that I would love to sail to with HAL that either they don't go to or if they do, they are often on the Prinsendam which is too expensive for me to book.

There are some that are near islands that HAL sail to right now that I would love to see added. There are a few that I visited on my own and really enjoyed them. Here are some that I would love for HAL to pick up.

Anguilla This island is right next to St. Martin and is a beach lover's dream. It was also laid back and no so touristy.

Saba Also near St. Martin. Got some friends who stayed on St Martin and also on Saba for three days and rave about the charm.

Nevis Got a chance to just do a short tour of this island in December and love for HAL to visit.

Antigua and Barbuda another set of islands that I would love to visit

Montserrat

Tobago The Prinsendam stop here on the December cruises.

St. Bart I knows that the Maasdam visit here on the 14 day cruise, but prehaps on a seven day to replace this with St. Martin on certain seven day sailings?

I know that HAL seven day cruise to Aurba and Curacao is one that's outside the norm and wonder if HAL can offer certain 7 or 10 day sailing to some of the islands that I mention.

Just my two cents. :D

All nice ideas. First question- do these islands want large ships arriving? I know some are visited by the small, luxury ships.

All nice ideas. First question- do these islands want large ships arriving? I know some are visited by the small, luxury ships.

Right not St. Bart get the Maasdam during it's Caribbean season and the Prinsendam visit Tobago so they already get HAL ships. Now I don't know if these islands limit the ship and cruiser size.

It's about access and infrastructure. It is also about incentives and agreements with the ports that the ships do stop in.

We wanted a nice 'outa here' cruise next year to beat the winter. The Maasdam has a nice 10 day cruise that includes both Antigua and St. Barts and, of course, one of my personal favourites - San Juan:D

So, there are some nice schedules out there still :)

Cruisers on the other cruiselines complain about the same thing. My suggestion is to try a different cruiseline and it may have a different itinerary than what you are used to. We have done this. We have been on Royal Caribbean, Holland America, Norwegian, Princess and Carnival. We like the cruiselines, pretty much in that order. Each cruise is an experience within itself, and sometimes variety is the spice of life!

We wanted a nice 'outa here' cruise next year to beat the winter. The Maasdam has a nice 10 day cruise that includes both Antigua and St. Barts and, of course, one of my personal favourites - San Juan:D

So, there are some nice schedules out there still :)

:) We booked that cruise, as well, and agree it is a nice itinerary. We love when we get that late departure from San Juan. :)

HAL offers some of the best Caribbean itineraries, IMO - especially the Maasdam itineraries. We have been hoping that some of the other HAL ships would offer more of the ports offered by the Maasdam- to create more choices.

We just did a wonderful Noordam cruise to: St. Maarten, St. Lucia, Barbados, Martinique, St. Thomas, and Half Moon Cay. Have wondered if they would consider changing St. Lucia to St. Kitts, and St. Thomas to Tortola, every other year, and perhaps make similar changes to the other Noordam 10 day offered-just for variety.

By the way, we thoroughly enjoyed Martinique and note that not that many ships stop there now. It was just beautiful- with good roads. Also, would like to see Guadeloupe on more itineraries. How do others feel about these ports?

Archived