Our Cruise on Snake in the Grass,ah, Splendor in the Grass, no, Splendour of the Seas

These next photos are of Ephesus. There is the upper part where we enter and then a lower part. These first photos are of the entrance to Ephesus.

This is the main entrance to Ephesus. At the time, these columns supported a walkway that was covered and provided a promenade into the city.

2249596070106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

One of the first structures one sees when entering the city is the small amplitheatre. It is dwarfed by the one in the lower city and was used for small meetings and perhaps rock concerts - notice all the rocks in the foreground?

2054616310106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

The public artwork that existed throughout the city was really amazing - the fact that it survived as intact as it did throughout the centuries is also pretty amazing.

2563154990106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

We visited in Spring and everywhere you looked were fields of brilliant poppies.

2194622450106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

2309288760106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

The next set of photos will highlight the main road between the upper and lower city.

SailorJack, you know this toad is lovin every minute of every review. i think you pegged it just right. That sure looks like a rock concert from my toady point of view, a little short tho it may be

AS soon as I saw who wrote his review I clicked to read it As always you are THE best I chuckeld at the BIGGAWAVE and other such literary gems

Keep on traveling and please do share You ALWAYS make me crack up I still think your cruise to South America is the FUNNIEST esp when your ship hit a cargo and sank SUVs ..and of course your wanting to see the Argentinian Navy in the Falkands!!!!

Please share your experience in Santorni We are going for about 7 hours .Will we have time to visit IOI ???Are busses OK or not doable?Any advice appreciated

Michele

AS soon as I saw who wrote his review I clicked to read it As always you are THE best I chuckeld at the BIGGAWAVE and other such literary gems

Keep on traveling and please do share You ALWAYS make me crack up I still think your cruise to South America is the FUNNIEST esp when your ship hit a cargo and sank SUVs ..and of course your wanting to see the Argentinian Navy in the Falkands!!!!

Please share your experience in Santorni We are going for about 7 hours .Will we have time to visit IOI ???Are busses OK or not doable?Any advice appreciated

Michele

Michele, I always enjoy your comments...so glad you liked it.

Here is what we did in Santorini - which worked out pretty well. (by the way, 7 hours gives you plently of time!) Once you get to the top (by cable car or donkey) go to the bus station - which is about a 5 to 7 minute walk from the cable car exit. Just ask anybody for directions - everyone speaks English. Once at the bus station go to the little kiosk and ask the attendant which is the bus to Oia. Go to that bus and pay the driver. It was about 1.8 Euro. The bus leaves about every 1/2 hour and takes about 20 - 25 minutes. The return bus leaves from the same spot the first bus drops you off at. For whatever reason, the trip back was cheaper - 1.6 Euro. Maybe it was downhill going back and they used less gas?:D

In Oia nearly everything is on one long main tiled walkway, so it is impossible to get lost. Oia is beautiful and is the must see place to go to in Santorini. We also found the souvenir shopping to be less expensive here than in Fira, but there is more selections in Fira.

Find a nice little restaurant with a table overlooking the caldera (bay) and enjoy a nice glass of Santorini wine. The house wine at the restaurant we stopped at was only 2 Euros a glass. Some of our friends had breakfast here and said it was outstanding. By the way, the sooner you can get to Oia the less crowds you will have to fight.

Once you have explored Oia take the bus back to Fira and shop, look around, or have lunch or a snack - depending on when you get back. Fira is bigger than Oia, but not nearly as picturesque.

A word of warning - the line for the cable car can get pretty long in the late afternoon as everybody is trying to get back to the ship. There were 5 ships at Santorini when we were there. If you figure 2,000 people per ship that means that possibly 10,000 cruisers were in Santorini. The cable car can handle 1,200 people an hour - so watch your time. You will love the island and I hope you have great weather!

Jack

SailorJack, you know this toad is lovin every minute of every review. i think you pegged it just right. That sure looks like a rock concert from my toady point of view, a little short tho it may be

Great minds!:D

Edited by SailorJack

Thanks again Jack

We are arriving at noon and staying till 7 pm /Do you think we will have time .I'm not sure if we are the only ship there ...that would make life easier

Pardon my ignorance ..FIRA is where you get off the FUNICULAR? and OIA is another town RIGHT?

No donkeys for me I hear they smell ...not too nice plus you CAn slip off ...trust me I will right in their poo ..I guess my nickname michipoo will be apropriate at that time!!!!So I will skip that most exciting experience ......WANNA bet Jeremy will want to do it!!!!I probably will let him as I ride up

I'l be happy lazing around casually on the streets of either town

What was your shopping agenda Anything special here ?

Looking forward to your pix

So where to next???

michele

Thanks again Jack

We are arriving at noon and staying till 7 pm /Do you think we will have time .I'm not sure if we are the only ship there ...that would make life easier

Pardon my ignorance ..FIRA is where you get off the FUNICULAR? and OIA is another town RIGHT?

No donkeys for me I hear they smell ...not too nice plus you CAn slip off ...trust me I will right in their poo ..I guess my nickname michipoo will be apropriate at that time!!!!So I will skip that most exciting experience ......WANNA bet Jeremy will want to do it!!!!I probably will let him as I ride up

I'l be happy lazing around casually on the streets of either town

What was your shopping agenda Anything special here ?

Looking forward to your pix

So where to next???

michele

Yes, Fira is where you get off the funicular. I don't know if Santorini is known for anything special in the way of shopping. There are lots of jewelry stores and stores that will let you sample local wine in the hopes that you will buy some - especially in Fira. Also lots of little boutique shops. Jill bought some art work in Oia and some souvenir tote bags for friends that were watching the house and watering our gardens.

Our next cruise is in November aboard the Diamond Princess - Singapore to Sydney. I understand there are still staterooms available.:)

Jack

Thanks

I will be hopefully if my sister is well in the Med in Oct and coming home on EPIC . I loved that ship in March but because of a mishap did not get to experience it all ...hence going back for Med and TRANSAT cruise I figure in 3 weeks I will get to see it all .I slipped and fell on my knee ...MAJOR OUCH ..so I was limited in my meandering on ship

Off to HOLYLAND cruise this August ...YUP I know major heat...... after a Celebrity sale just a few weeks ago ..really good one !!on brand new SILHOUETTE ...SILLY WET to friends .now how appropriate is silly wet for a ship!!!

I have been to ISRAEL before and LOVED it Hope Jer enjoys it as much

Turkey and Santorini is a bonus

Have you been to ROME???

What advice can you give for 3 days worth of visiting

Michele

WE must meet someday on a ship Something tells me we would have a blast

People I met 3 years ago as tablemates became friends We reunited on CB last Jan . and had a blast In St Lucia on our way back to ship we laughed so hard my sides were killing me I organized all our outings and we really had fun Everywhere we went was SO special It truly was a wonderful trip You could have sworn we had been together for forever !!

We are trying to coordinate this winters vacation as well

WE had so much FUN at dinner we never made it to any show The staff would chit chat with us and we never left the dining room before 11 pm

THe Southern Carib is truly wonderful I taught my friends to snorkel now they too are hooked BONAIRE was amazing as was DOMINICA and Champagne Reef I could spwend hours in the coral reefs

Edited by mmemichele

There are lots of jewelry stores and stores that will let you sample local wine in the hopes that you will buy some - especially in Fira.

I bought a beautiful Greek key bangle bracelet there. It was no bargain but as it was exactly what I was looking for...I bought it anyway!:p I love the Greek key jewelry.

I bought a beautiful Greek key bangle bracelet there. It was no bargain but as it was exactly what I was looking for...I bought it anyway!:p I love the Greek key jewelry.

That was our take on the jewelry also. There was some very nice pieces, but the you paid for them. Prices have been described as "moderate" in Santorini, but not excessive. If you found exactly what you wanted, then it was worth the price!:)

Thanks

I will be hopefully if my sister is well in the Med in Oct and coming home on EPIC . I loved that ship in March but because of a mishap did not get to experience it all ...hence going back for Med and TRANSAT cruise I figure in 3 weeks I will get to see it all .I slipped and fell on my knee ...MAJOR OUCH ..so I was limited in my meandering on ship

Off to HOLYLAND cruise this August ...YUP I know major heat...... after a Celebrity sale just a few weeks ago ..really good one !!on brand new SILHOUETTE ...SILLY WET to friends .now how appropriate is silly wet for a ship!!!

I have been to ISRAEL before and LOVED it Hope Jer enjoys it as much

Turkey and Santorini is a bonus

Have you been to ROME???

What advice can you give for 3 days worth of visiting

Michele

WE must meet someday on a ship Something tells me we would have a blast

People I met 3 years ago as tablemates became friends We reunited on CB last Jan . and had a blast In St Lucia on our way back to ship we laughed so hard my sides were killing me I organized all our outings and we really had fun Everywhere we went was SO special It truly was a wonderful trip You could have sworn we had been together for forever !!

We are trying to coordinate this winters vacation as well

WE had so much FUN at dinner we never made it to any show The staff would chit chat with us and we never left the dining room before 11 pm

THe Southern Carib is truly wonderful I taught my friends to snorkel now they too are hooked BONAIRE was amazing as was DOMINICA and Champagne Reef I could spwend hours in the coral reefs

I will look forward to sailing with you. Rome is beautiful. You need to allow one day to see the Vatican, Sistine Chapel, etc. One day to see the ancient ruins, Spanish Steps, Tivoli Fountain, Circus Maximus, etc, and one day for just strolling around taking in the city, shopping, and eating.:)

I've now spent my entire evening reading your various reviews (after reading your latest review on the Splendor) and crying from laughter! I followed other posters suggestions and read your Dream review but nothing was as funny as your review on the HAL cruise (of course, I haven't read them all so perhaps I'll find something that makes me laugh even harder...doubtful!). Not only did I find it hysterical, it actually made me want to book a HAL cruise. I'm thinking THEY should hire you in customer relations as my previous opinion of HAL was making fun of the purported urine-saturated hallways I've read about:p! Kudos to you for your excellent writing skills and humor. I look forward to reading your other past reviews (as well as future ones). For some reason SailorJill's outfits for the Meet & Greets crack me up more than I expected...ooops, I mean screensavers :D!)!

OMG, I am so glad that I found your review. 1st I have read of yours, but went back and read your Dream, and Hal ones as well. The other two were also very enjoyable,especially Mama Chang, but this one was fantastic. Like fine wine, you get better and better. The 8 goats was funny, but the snotty tuxedo salesman telling you to go to WalMart was hilarious. Even if you made that up, it was priceless. Thanks for the laughs.

Now on the serious side, how "expensive" was the Gondola ride in Venice? Also, how long was it? Sorry I just had to ask.

Super review but Im wondering if the offer of 8 goats may have been tempting had you known the women were so tall and beautiful in Croatia?

ACCK! Delete Post! Delete Post! If SailorJill sees this I am toast!

OMG, I am so glad that I found your review. 1st I have read of yours, but went back and read your Dream, and Hal ones as well. The other two were also very enjoyable,especially Mama Chang, but this one was fantastic. Like fine wine, you get better and better. The 8 goats was funny, but the snotty tuxedo salesman telling you to go to WalMart was hilarious. Even if you made that up, it was priceless. Thanks for the laughs.

Now on the serious side, how "expensive" was the Gondola ride in Venice? Also, how long was it? Sorry I just had to ask.

Thank you for the kind words. The prices for the Gondola rides are fixed by the Gondoleer Union. There is no negotiating. The ride we took was for 80 Euros (for two people) and lasted 35 minutes. You can take a longer ride for 120 Euros that lasts around 55 minutes. Surprisingly, our gondoleer did not want a tip!

By the way...the events I describe actually happen - more or less.:) I do take some literary license in depicting them however.:D

I've now spent my entire evening reading your various reviews (after reading your latest review on the Splendor) and crying from laughter! I followed other posters suggestions and read your Dream review but nothing was as funny as your review on the HAL cruise (of course, I haven't read them all so perhaps I'll find something that makes me laugh even harder...doubtful!). Not only did I find it hysterical, it actually made me want to book a HAL cruise. I'm thinking THEY should hire you in customer relations as my previous opinion of HAL was making fun of the purported urine-saturated hallways I've read about:p! Kudos to you for your excellent writing skills and humor. I look forward to reading your other past reviews (as well as future ones). For some reason SailorJill's outfits for the Meet & Greets crack me up more than I expected...ooops, I mean screensavers :D!)!

I also had a skeptical view of HAL before I took the cruise on the Noordam. But it turned out to be a great ship and the people on it were wonderful. I would sail on HAL again if the itinerary and price came together like they did on the Noordam cruise.

Next review should be in late November. We are on an 18 day cruise from Singapore to Sydney on the Diamond Princess.

Thanks Jack! Another great entertaining review! As my grandkids would say you da MAN!

Glad you enjoyed it!

Ephesus (con't)

This shot is the top of the grand walkway to the lower city. Along the walkway were shops and monuments. The ruins on the far left were of an Apothocary - an early drug store. They know this because of the symbol carved into the cornerstone.

2969830380106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

This is the walkway going down to the lower city. Seen at the bottom is the famous library and about two thirds up on the left hand side are the Terrace Houses. Entrance to the Terrace Houses requires an additional admission charge. We did not go in, but we are told these are well preserved residences of the rich residents of Ephesus.

2015181860106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

Entrance to the Temple of Hadrian. The Temple is one of the best preserved structures on Curetes Street (as the walkway is known).

2171317130106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

Statuary adorned the walkway - some better preserved than others.

2306560260106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

Totally entertaining, wonderful, and a great way to begin a day. An exceptional writer. When I read a great book/article I love reading about the author...kinda gives depth to the read. Well, of course, I began to wonder who SailorJack is and where does he use his talent? He writes on the same line as Craig Wilson/USA Today, or as a former script writer for Seinfeld, Fraiser, Cheers, etc. Or perhaps he is the writer/organizer for The Vent on the Atlanta Journal-Constitution ( I have 3 sons/families living in Atlanta). Or perhaps he is just a gifted writer who uses his gift for the delight of his readers. So, SailorJack, continue to enhance us with your delightful, funny, yet informative tales of your travels with SailorJill and perhaps one day some of us will have the joy of traveling with you.

:rolleyes: PLEASE, I beg of you to keep writing reviews! Your post were so entertaining. I am not even booked on your ship/itinerary but I could NOT stop reading!:D Will you consider cruising FOS Western and reviewing it before MY trip. It would make my days bearable!!!:cool:

:rolleyes: PLEASE, I beg of you to keep writing reviews! Your post were so entertaining. I am not even booked on your ship/itinerary but I could NOT stop reading!:D Will you consider cruising FOS Western and reviewing it before MY trip. It would make my days bearable!!!:cool:

Thanks for the kind words. As much as I would like to do FOS, I have aleady taken two cruises this year and have the third booked. If I tried to do four SailorJill would cut up my credit cards.:D

Though there are shades of Dave Barry, I read more of Atlanta's late, great Lewis Grizzard. You're delightful.

Nancy

Mr. Grizzard was one of Atlanta's gems. He is still missed. Thanks for your comment.

Jack

I think I have read most everything he has ever written. If u are not Dave Barry, you must have been twins separated at birth. I love your cruise tales and the references to SailorJill are priceless. You should write a book, but please keep writing reviews. I have read them all and laughed until I have cried. I even sent the link to my sister for her to read. Thank you for taking the time to entertain and inform us on the Cruise Critic forum.

You should write a book' date=' but please keep writing reviews. I have read them all and laughed until I have cried. I even sent the link to my sister for her to read. Thank you for taking the time to entertain and inform us on the Cruise Critic forum.[/quote']

I would buy a Sailor Jack book in a heartbeat!

I, too, have laughed so hard that tears were streaming down my face. Family have come running from the other room wondering what was 'wrong'. They soon understood once they, too, had read Jack's reviews:D

I can read them over and over again and they continue to give me the same reaction!