New HAL smoking policy

Gunther1

There's also a big difference between someone drinking vs smoking which affects everyone around them but I guess you must be one of the smokers & can't smell the difference.

I suggest you really check out the verified statistics on how many people are killed or maimed by drunk drivers vice second hand smoke before you go flinging that argument around.

I guess you didn't notice the ":rolleyes:" and yes I do follow only the rules that suite me. If I found someone smoking in their room I would turn them in as probably would a few other non smokers. So, you better smoke out on the balcony where it's still legal or cover up the door vent for privacy since smoking in the room is very noticeable.

And isn't everyone on this board just thrilled you are not a HAL cruiser. How about you go back over to the Princess board and continue to "stir the pot" over there.

Yes when I was working in the service industry . I would always rat out and piss off the people I was hoping would tip me well.

Good sound financial advice

Interesting point. This policy could put the steward in an awkward position, unless the ship will give the steward a bounty for reporting an infraction?

Interesting point. This policy could put the steward in an awkward position, unless the ship will give the steward a bounty for reporting an infraction?

Yes but if you did that , you would also have to offer an OBC to all those dilligent fellow passengers that will spend a good part of their vacation searching out "The Smokers Among Us "

The cabin steward will have no choice, because he is not the only person who goes into the cabin. There are supervisors as well, and there are cabin inspections by higher officers too. A cabin steward who knows that his passengers are smoking and does not report it could be putting himself in an awkward financial position as well.

The cabin stewards will report if they smell smoke in the cabin and you will be billed accordingly. On the other hand, they never report anyone who has brought liquor on board. If someone has to look for smokers to report, they probably shoudn't be cruising as they are not there to enjoy the cruise but to be a -------- (left out so you can fill in the blanks)

Yes when I was working in the service industry . I would always rat out and piss off the people I was hoping would tip me well.

Good sound financial advice

So, who would suggest report the individuals who are smoking in their staterooms? :confused:

So, who would suggest report the individuals who are smoking in their staterooms? :confused:

Trust me , after 27 years of being a 9-1-1 dispatcher , there will always be plenty of people who love to play police informant .

The cabin steward will have no choice, because he is not the only person who goes into the cabin. There are supervisors as well, and there are cabin inspections by higher officers too. A cabin steward who knows that his passengers are smoking and does not report it could be putting himself in an awkward financial position as well.

The cabin stewards really don't have to show their face in doing their job. All that has to be done is report the violation to security & let them knock on the door & the smokers expose themselves. The cabin stewards tips are pooled anyway so how little would they actually lose by turning in a violator and possibly gain by an incentive to do so.

On newer ships, say those built say after 2000, they have on the bridge an environmental control system that lights up if there is smoke. If there is a fire an alarm goes off. On a bridge tour I was on they were showing it and mentioned that the cabins that were lit up on the board were because someone was smoking in that cabin.

On newer ships, say those built say after 2000, they have on the bridge an environmental control system that lights up if there is smoke. If there is a fire an alarm goes off. On a bridge tour I was on they were showing it and mentioned that the cabins that were lit up on the board were because someone was smoking in that cabin.

Interesting that they can differentiate between cigarette smoke & a real emergency. It should be real easy to hand out fines now.

Interesting that they can differentiate between cigarette smoke & a real emergency. It should be real easy to hand out fines now.

Kinda scary

A fire alarm goes off and a light goes on and they just assume that it was someone smoking in their cabin.

Do they even send soemone to check that out

then the stewards are off the hook and there won't be a need for the anti smoking snoops to patrol the gangways looking to report some cabin and they might even have time to enjoy the cruise, though I doubt it.

Kinda scary

A fire alarm goes off and a light goes on and they just assume that it was someone smoking in their cabin.

Do they even send soemone to check that out

The cabins have a smoke detector. The detector can sense the difference between smoke and fire. If it is just some smoke a light goes on. If it is a fire, high temperatures, there will also be an audible alarm on the bridge and sprinklers will go off in the cabin. Duh. Sprinklers likely will not go off from smoking unless someone puts the cig right up to the detector. If there is any question they will send someone to check.

then the stewards are off the hook and there won't be a need for the anti smoking snoops to patrol the gangways looking to report some cabin and they might even have time to enjoy the cruise, though I doubt it.

I am sure cabin attendants will be required to turn in smokers who smoke in the cabin. They probably will because they want to keep their job. As far as anti smokers patrolling the hallways I will leave patrols up to ship security. I expect HAL does patrol their ships and will catch some smoker violators that way. But if I smell smoke from a cabin next door to my cabin or across the hall I might report it. I don't expect this all is going to be a big deal as some make out. I don't think most smokers will violate the policy. Either because they are considerate or because of the $250 fee. Time will tell.

Bands of passengers armed with forks, snooping the hallways seraching for smokers, one carrying a fire extinguisher to bash the door down of a suspected smoker. Really guys, I read so much about how far it is to walk anywhere on HAL, I find it difficult to believe this will happen. So I assume you jest.;)

I only care about the comfort of my own cabin, and if I smell smoke in it, I call, that is it. HAL may or may not do much enforcing. As I said much earlier they might send out more of those chocolate strawberries and call it a day.

We won't know what enforcement is like until the policy takes effect. But even on Celebrity where non smoking areas are sacred ground, I haven't heard of smoking snoopes dedicating their vacation to catching those who light up.

I apologize if this is a double post, just as I hit send, my first attempt disappeared.

I believe the cabin stewards will trun in someone who is smoking in their cabin. Because it is part of their job. Their supervisors also go in the cabins. Plus the stewards are the ones who will have to do the deep cleaning of the cabin. Just think how it would be for a steward to have to deep clean 10 cabins on turn around day! The stewards will not be a happy camper and their boss will not be happy if no fine was given. Plus the steward will have to deal with the next PAX in that smokey cabin if it has not been deep cleaned.

I believe the cabin stewards will trun in someone who is smoking in their cabin. Because it is part of their job. Their supervisors also go in the cabins. Plus the stewards are the ones who will have to do the deep cleaning of the cabin. Just think how it would be for a steward to have to deep clean 10 cabins on turn around day! The stewards will not be a happy camper and their boss will not be happy if no fine was given. Plus the steward will have to deal with the next PAX in that smokey cabin if it has not been deep cleaned.

But what happens when the smoker gets a $250 fine because he was turned in by his cabin steward . You know there will be people who will cancel those auto tips . It will also cause an awkward uncomfortable feeling between the passenger and the cabin steward for the erst of the cruise.

But what happens when the smoker gets a $250 fine because he was turned in by his cabin steward . You know there will be people who will cancel those auto tips . It will also cause an awkward uncomfortable feeling between the passenger and the cabin steward for the erst of the cruise.

They may cancel the auto tip. BUT the cruise line has $250. from the PAX. Is it possiable that part of the $250 goes in to make up for the auto tip? I would think that HAL all ready thought of this happening (canceling of the tip) and has a way of making it up to them.

The Steward will have no choice in the matter. With the new policy, if someone smokes in a room, the steward will have to have the room cleaned such that smoke cannot be detected before the next guest arrives. If it is not, the guest complains, then the steward will be in trouble. People will complain because now, with the policy, there will clearly be an expectation that the room is smoke free.

The cruise line will also plan that the prior effort on cleaning smoked in rooms between cruises will not be necessary. Thus the steward will not have the time to take care of a smoked in room. The end result is when it is noticeable that a room as been smoked in, it will be in the Stewards interest to get the smoking stopped and get the room cleaned. I expect the normal practice if smoking is detected, a fine, the room will be cleaned then, not after the end of the cruise, making the offender suffer the inconvenience of the deep cleaning, not the next guest. If it is smoked in again then another fine and another cleaning.

The key point is now each new guest will have the expectation of a smoke free room. An expectation they could not have under the old policy.

I for one, do NOT like anyone telling me I can't do something that is still legal. How hypocritical society is by not just making Tobacco illegal. I guess the $ it brings in is ok, huh?

Dh and I appreciate HAL keeping their Veranda's open for smoking. Our next cruise will be on HAL.

So, only non-smokers whine? Your posting sounds an awful lot like whining to me!

You don't hear smokers whining about smoking. I guess according to you stating ones beliefs, is whining, so be it. Yes for some reason only nonsmokers seem to whine about smokers and feel they have the right to take away a legal activity just because they don't imbide or are allegic or have asthma or some other ailment besides being a crumudgeon (sp?).

If someone is following the rules or is being a considerate smoker by only smoking where permitted, then no one has a legitimate complaint if they are passing through that designated area. Since the new policy doesn't even take effect till 2012, I suspect the smoking police-wannabes will try to report smoking when it is still okay to smoke in the room (no I don't smoke in my room or house). It should make for an interesting experience until the poilicy is actually in effect.:)

Archived