Lunch first day?

Just curious, does everyone immediatly go for lunch once they board the ship. We usually have a small breakfast at our hotel preboarding. Then when we board we explore the ship. We figure the food will be there all week, so we don't rush to eat... Anyone else do this??

Kathy

If we're on Voyager-class ships or larger, we head to the Royal Promenade Cafe for a light nosh (and a brewski at the pub) and that tides us over till din din. Bon Voyage!

Aint' nothing like Cafe Promenade for lunch on "First Day" ... it's less crowded than the WJ, you get to watch people's jaw drop as they get their first view of the Promenade ...the sandwiches are killer ... and there are some relatively empty pubs there for a quick adult beverage.

Michael

Just curious, does everyone immediatly go for lunch once they board the ship. We usually have a small breakfast at our hotel preboarding. Then when we board we explore the ship. We figure the food will be there all week, so we don't rush to eat... Anyone else do this??

Kathy

That is pretty much what we do. We do not rush to the WJ. Way to crowded with folks who will knock you down to get to the food.

We eat a big breakfast, around 10am, so we don't have to take part in the "feeding frenzy" that occurs upon boarding! Later in the afternoon, we'll grab a quick snack, especially if we're doing late seating.

I wear a bathing suit onto the ship (under clothes, of course!) and head straight to the pool! No WJ for me on boarding day!

The very first thing we do is to climb up to the very top deck with binoculars in hand to enjoy the uncrowded deck. We walk all over taking in the view, as we don't get to see it much when we return to port early in the morning when it is dark.

During sailaway, it is packed and noisy, so this early time up top is our own little world!

We use our balcony for sailaway, while we wait for luggage that will hopefully show up in time for a later dinner. We always use MTD, so no need to look for our table assignment.

Best time to hit the WJ for a salad, is about 1-1:30 when everyone is trying to crowd into the hallways to claim their cabin. :eek: ;)

First thing I do is go take pictures of the relatively empty ship. Then usually go to the spa to make appointments. Then, if I'm hungry, I'll eat something, otherwise I'll find a deck chair to relax.

While I like many of the alternative ideas we tend to want to find someplace to park until cabin is ready so WJ has filled the bill well. We usually have at least one carry-on with us and a couple backpacks so exploring has to wait. We go there partly for lunch but also just a place to hang out for an hour or so.

But I can see where the Promenade Cafe would be good when we get on Mariner. I'm sure we'll be gawking at the Promenade area as well. Sandwiches at the cafe there were mentioned. What kind? Do they have similar to Seaview Cafe on Radiance class (except Radiance OTS now).

Kathy

Straight to the WJ for us, but we're usually one of the first ones to board, so it's not normally crowded - and we're usually hungry by then. Call me cheap, but I'll pretty much skip getting a breakfast I have to pay for, in order to get a lunch that included with what I've already paid to the cruiseline.

We have to go to WJ immediately on boarding. On our first cruise the crew told us we had to [at least I am pretty sure that is what they said] so we did. Now, it is a tradition. It is the "we made it" moment. We also usually board fairly early so it is not overly crowded.

While I like many of the alternative ideas we tend to want to find someplace to park until cabin is ready so WJ has filled the bill well. We usually have at least one carry-on with us and a couple backpacks so exploring has to wait. We go there partly for lunch but also just a place to hang out for an hour or so.

But I can see where the Promenade Cafe would be good when we get on Mariner. I'm sure we'll be gawking at the Promenade area as well. Sandwiches at the cafe there were mentioned. What kind? Do they have similar to Seaview Cafe on Radiance class (except Radiance OTS now).

There is usally a good variety of sandwiches (ham and cheese croissant is our favorite), pizza, desserts, fruit and cookies (oh those coconut rangers!). Never made it to the Seaview on our Radiance cruise. Hope this helps. Bon Voyage!

When my hubby and I boarded Oasis last year, we went to Giovanni's. We had a reservation for a little bit later, but since the place was completely dead, they let us just change it to a walk in on the spot. We are doing that again this September on Allure :cool:

We make a bee line for the windjammer upon setting foot on the ship. Sitting down with a plate of food that is not lean cuisine or having to rush to eat just officially starts the cruise. What was the best was having that lunch outside of the windjammer on the Radiance with a warm Florida breeze. Loved that.

My next cruise I'm cruising with my friend whos never cruised before and.. I have to start her off on the right foot

We have to go to WJ immediately on boarding. On our first cruise the crew told us we had to [at least I am pretty sure that is what they said] so we did. Now, it is a tradition. It is the "we made it" moment. We also usually board fairly early so it is not overly crowded.

Same with us, it's our "were finally on the ship moment." I'll be in the Windjammer smiling this Saturday. :D

When my hubby and I boarded Oasis last year, we went to Giovanni's. We had a reservation for a little bit later, but since the place was completely dead, they let us just change it to a walk in on the spot. We are doing that again this September on Allure :cool:

I just booked this this week!! Maybe it was your review I read that suggested this! We are not doing any other specialty dining the whole week but decided $30 would be well spent to avoid the gathering mobs at WJ and Park Cafe (now that the secrets out). We often carry on luggage both onto the plane and then the ship, so wandering immediately is impractical . And since we live on the East coast we fly v early and are usually starving!

Question for you- how long did your lunch take?

Yes we do. BUT......... it isnt the first thing we do.

A DOD is first:D. Next, MDR and Specialty restaurants reservations. Than we make our way to the WJ

My last few cruises have been on NCL. there we were allowed to eat in the MDR when we first got on board...not many people knew about it so there was never a wait ..do they have this on the explorer?

Archived