What do you wear when you board the ship ?

lenquixote66

We like to wear something attractive for our Boarding photo.

Ooh, I forgot about that! We will probably be wearing jeans, our heaviest shoes, and again whatever is too heavy to put in the suitcase. We'll lose the rain jackets and sweatshirts for the MDR, but otherwise we'll probably just enjoy our lunch and go out and explore the city before leaving port! And don't worry, we'll definitely change before dinner! ;)

What's next: What do you wear when disembarking? :rolleyes:

A tuxedo of course. I wouldn't want folks to think that I was traveling in steerage with the unwashed!;)

Yes, it is "permissable" to wear a knit shirt and jeans to board the ship and go afterward to lunch in the MDR. HAL's dress code allows jeans in the MDR during the day and on casual nights.

As others have said, a lot depends on what you will be doing prior to boarding, where you're boarding and the weather.

You'll be fine....

July 17 ,in NYC -90 degree weather .

Some of the posts in this thread just have to be jokes. I mean, airline upgrades, better rooms, intimidating the TSA. Sorry folks, but, that's just laughable.

In Frankfurt a few years back, we were traveling standby because we missed our connection. We both happened to be dressed up, wearing what we wore to dinner the last night. We watched many standby's being called to board and we were certain we wouldn't be called. Finally, they called our names---to board business class. I am certain it was because we looked like we actually belonged in business class.

People do judge you by how you look, as crass as that sounds.

So, if I wear a tuxedo and the little lady wears a formal gown (not an oridinary cocktail dress or pair of slacks) on embarkation-along with her best Sunday beads, what do you think our chances are of getting an upgrade from a verandah to the owner's suite??? Not only will we look like we belong there, in our hearts we KNOW that we truly belong in the owners suite. It is just a little dosh that keeps us apart.

And are we extending the conversation to include what is permissable to wear on the airplane, the bus, the taxi, the subway, the rickshaw or whatever?? That will really open up the field for those who make it their business to judge what others wear.

We get upgraded in hotels on a very regular basis...not sure if it is because we both look so fetching or because my loyalty card identifies me as a very good and a very frequent customer of the hotel chain.

And are we extending the conversation to include what is permissable to wear on the airplane, the bus, the taxi, the subway, the rickshaw or whatever. That will really open up the field for those who make it their business to judge what others wear.

You can look like a slob wherever you want.... that's up to you.

DD and I wear jeans and tees or polos to board. We've always had our luggage before early dinner. Jean and shorts are fine in the MDR for lunch and breakfast.

We were once upgraded to business class and were wearing jeans and tees, so dressing up doesn't always work.

A tuxedo of course. I wouldn't want folks to think that I was traveling in steerage with the unwashed!;)

If you 'll be celebrating an anniversary on board be sure to wear your birthday suit -- and before you ask, medals will be worn.

maxout....We would much rather be seated with you two/four....smiles as large as life and a good sense of humor rather that with some other group who is intent on scanning the room for dress code infractions so that they can report back to cruise critic.

maxout....We would much rather be seated with you two/four....smiles as large as life and a good sense of humor rather that with some other group who is intent on scanning the room for dress code infractions so that they can report back to cruise critic.

I would be honored :)

In Frankfurt a few years back, we were traveling standby because we missed our connection. We both happened to be dressed up, wearing what we wore to dinner the last night. We watched many standby's being called to board and we were certain we wouldn't be called. Finally, they called our names---to board business class. I am certain it was because we looked like we actually belonged in business class.

It doesn't matter what I wear, I always get good service. I just grease every palm in sight and they treat me like a king.

I figure if they are crass enough to judge me by what I wear , They aren't above a payoff .

You actually think they put you in business class because of how you looked?

Hilarious.

For the benefit of anyone who is brand new to cruising, don't let this type of discussion concern you. I have never heard people actually on board the ship carry on like this. Take this nonsense for what it's worth and simply dress (and behave) decently while enjoying your cruise.

For the benefit of anyone who is brand new to cruising, don't let this type of discussion concern you. I have never heard people actually on board the ship carry on like this. Take this nonsense for what it's worth and simply dress (and behave) decently while enjoying your cruise.

LOL - Truth, and good advice.

Thank you.:)

Archived