What do you wear when you board the ship ?

lenquixote66

In Frankfurt a few years back, we were traveling standby because we missed our connection. We both happened to be dressed up, wearing what we wore to dinner the last night. We watched many standby's being called to board and we were certain we wouldn't be called. Finally, they called our names---to board business class. I am certain it was because we looked like we actually belonged in business class.

People do judge you by how you look, as crass as that sounds.

There is that saying "Dress to Impress." In your case, it definitely did. Tom:)

It doesn't matter what I wear, I always get good service. I just grease every palm in sight and they treat me like a king.

I figure if they are crass enough to judge me by what I wear , They aren't above a payoff .

Tee Hee:D

We fly in a day in advance so we aren't worried about luggage weight restrictions when we board the ship. Generally it is weather dependent. Cold weather cruise I'll be in jeans and whatever shirt I plan to wear to dinner that night. Warm weather cruise I'm in shorts, sandals, and a polo shirt. BTW, when we first started cruising all the men dressed in a coat and tie to board. That was the late sixties and the seventies. Now a days a coat and tie at embarkation looks very much out of date.

I've been upgraded twice on flights to business/first class. Both times I was wearing shorts and a polo shirt. Perhaps it was because I was courteous and appreciative to the airline gate attendent. I'm not sure how I affected TSA. I can say for certain that suits don't intimidate them.

I always wear a jacket and tie travelling, and my wife wears an attractive suit. The upgrades are real and frequent, and it seems to intimidate the TSA goons sometimes. Also, wearing clothes means you don't have to pack them. Having said that, many tourists don't own dressy clothes. We do

Anything to intimidate the TSA agents is fine by me! Very much worth it...after the last pat down I had to endure at RSW in Fort Myers in February.

As I said on another thread,I don't do well with manmade fibers so have to stick with mostly cotton.The day we boarded the Eurodam in Ft.Lauderdale I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt.That was standard dress in all the ports except for when it was required for me to dress up in the MDR. It's all about comfort for me.When it's almost 90 degrees out,I have no desire to wear heavy, constricting clothes.

Usually we try to wear something that looks decent and would suffice for dinner in the MDR the first night if necessary, but will be comfortable on the plane.

Funny Story:

3 years ago DH and I were taking a 10 day cruise out of NYC on Princess to Bermuda and the Caribbean with our 2 kids. We had an early morning flight and had packed all luggage into the SUV the night before (thankfully) and had clothes laid out for the morning.

Worst rainstorm to hit our area in decades happened that night. Thankfully I have a battery operated alarm clock or we would have missed our flight and cruise. Woke up to torrential downpours and no power! :eek: Forget the flat irons, lights for makeup, etc. At o'dark thirty we were fortunate to find our clothes and put them on.

For some reason (grace of God), husband had left the SUV in the driveway vs. the garage that night. (Probably had it out to pack, etc.) Anyway, it was a good thing since no power = no electric garage door opener. Unfortunately it meant walking about 6 feet from the side garage door to the SUV. I kid you not, we were soaked to the skin in 2 seconds! Rain gear and umbrellas were no match for this storm.

Battery operated sump pump was on and operating but having a hard time keeping up with all the water coming in. (Yes, we have a finished lower level.) Joy! Almost didn't make it out of our sub-division due to flooded streets. Thank goodness we were in the SUV. Drove through a completely darkened side of our town - no power anywhere. Praying and hoping the electricity would come back on in time to "save" the basement with the regular sump pump.

All that to say this... we arrived at the cruise terminal looking like dried out drowned rats - even after the attempt to repair in the airport bathroom. :o Even still, they let us on the ship and were even very courteous.

We chose NOT to buy our boarding photograph (took it down off the gallery board as quick as we could :)). Had a good laugh at how we looked while drinking our champagne on our aft balcony as we cruised past the Statue of Liberty. Good memories!

You actually think they put you in business class because of how you looked?

Hilarious.

Having once worked as an airline gate agent, I speak from experience when I say this is absolutely true. Like it or not, believe it or not.

You actually think they put you in business class because of how you looked?

Hilarious.

Sorry but I also have gotten upgraded, interestingly in Frankfurt, several times when I was traveling back and forth to the US while working in Germany and I firmly believe it was because I was dressed nicely. Got in the habit of doing that and I was extremely successful getting upgraded, without using miles or whatever, 50%+ of the time. I traveled back and forth every 60 to 90 days for four years.

I wear my tiara, I save my crown for the MDR.

The good things about tiaras is you can wear them when it is 90 degrees outside or 40 degrees below inside. And they don't have to be ironed after you unpack.

I've been upgraded twice on flights to business/first class. Both times I was wearing shorts and a polo shirt. Perhaps it was because I was courteous and appreciative to the airline gate attendent. I'm not sure how I affected TSA. I can say for certain that suits don't intimidate them.

I've been upgraded when I was "dressed" and when I was wearing shorts. I agree upgrades seem to be based upon your personality and your overall demeanor more than your clothes.... as long as you aren't dirty and aren't wearing dirty, sloppy, worn out clothes.

In years past, because of my frequent flyer status on a particular airline, it was the norm for me to get upgraded. In fact, on some runs it was unusual not to be upgraded. Happily, this extended to vacation travel. The gate agent made the decison.

Now, in Canada at least, this is not the case and in fact the gate agent will be repremanded for upgrading a passenger,notwithstanding their customer status, to an empty seat in business or first (unless of course the flight is oversold). When it is oversold, the agents work from a passenger list that has their most frequent flyers at the top-they get the first pass at free upgrades. The reason is they want to sell those seats. People like me never purchased business class seats because we knew that we would be upgraded 60 percent of the time. Then they went to giving us so many upgrade coupons in the hope that when we ran out of these free coupons we would switch to the higher cost seats. Fortunately, the hotel chains do not seem to have gone this route and are more liberal with upgrades.

You actually seem to have better luck with the internatational airlines, particularly if you are a couple and are celebrating a significant milestone such as a 25 or 50 wedding anniversary. If you make it known at the gate, and ask for something special, you may be surprised with a business or first upgrade along with a bottle of bubbly mid flight. It is probably 50/50 depending on the airline, the agent, and the seat availability. But if you ask, the worst they can say is no. I like those odds.

Is it permissable to wear a knit shirt and jeans to board the ship and go afterward to lunch in the MDR ?

I've always worn khakis .

Our cruise was in January out of NY, so not only did we both have jeans, we had winter jackets, gloves, hats and boots! :D

But, as it got warmer during the next couple days, the jeans were just too warm to wear. I switched to sun dresses and my husband wore Dockers/Khakis, as they were more lightweight.

You won't be turned away from the MDR.

Hope you have fun!

Anything to intimidate the TSA agents is fine by me! Very much worth it...after the last pat down I had to endure at RSW in Fort Myers in February.

As you saying you don't appreciate those pat-downs? I always make slightly audible moans during mine.

Archived