What do you wear when you board the ship ?

lenquixote66

Is it permissable to wear a knit shirt and jeans to board the ship and go afterward to lunch in the MDR ?

I've always worn khakis .

Certainly not. I think that you should wear a tuxedo. After all, we must maintain standards!:rolleyes:

We always dress up a bit because it is the start of a special occasion for us and that is how we honor it. Coat and tie for DH and a bit more than "smart casual" for me. Old-fashion, I know but that is just what we do when we travel even on the plane.

We always dress up a bit because it is the start of a special occasion for us and that is how we honor it. Coat and tie for DH and a bit more than "smart casual" for me. Old-fashion, I know but that is just what we do when we travel even on the plane.

We did that first several years ago, just for the pleasure of doing it ... and discovered that almost all the service people we met along the way treated us better. When checking into a hotel we were more apt to get a better room, and have even been given free upgrades at the gate for flights. We continue to dress a little better for travel - not only because of the better service, but because we just feel good about ourselves that way.

We did that first several years ago, just for the pleasure of doing it ... and discovered that almost all the service people we met along the way treated us better. When checking into a hotel we were more apt to get a better room, and have even been given free upgrades at the gate for flights. We continue to dress a little better for travel - not only because of the better service, but because we just feel good about ourselves that way.

I always wear a jacket and tie travelling, and my wife wears an attractive suit. The upgrades are real and frequent, and it seems to intimidate the TSA goons sometimes. Also, wearing clothes means you don't have to pack them. Having said that, many tourists don't own dressy clothes. We do

I am with jhannah -- no jeans anytime in the dining room -- that is just us.

We dress slacks for both us -- we wear what we may have to wear to dinner - mant times we did not get luggage until just before dinner and had to wait to unpack after dinner.

By the way --we don't even own any jeans -- that is just us.

I normally travel in decent black pants just in case our luggage doesn't come. I can always pick up some tops along the way if I have a presentable pair of pants to wear. I also wear a versatile shoe, just in case.

I personally would not wear any form of jeans into the main dining room any time. Not saying it's "wrong." That's just my standard.

I am with jhannah -- no jeans anytime in the dining room -- that is just us.

We dress slacks for both us -- we wear what we may have to wear to dinner - mant times we did not get luggage until just before dinner and had to wait to unpack after dinner.

By the way --we don't even own any jeans -- that is just us.

Except for the fact I own and wear jeans at home I agree with both of these posts. :)

There are those who honestly believe that what one wears aboard ship is no ones business but their own and everyone should wear what suits them.

But I believe that when 1,200 passengers come together for a week or more in the limited confines of a cruise ship and especially in the smaller confines of the MDR, what they wear has a profound effect on the ambiance that is established for all the passengers. Every bit as much as their behavior and other actions does! HAL sets reasonable dress standards that are not draconian and offers multiple optional dining spots with lesser standards for those who cannot or will not observe them. Yet we see thread after thread chipping at the edges, proclaiming ones right to wear whatever they want and to h*** with everyone else, and seeking permission to flaunt or ignore the HAL standards. Why?

And then there are those who make smart-aleck remarks about wearing a Tux to board the ship.

Ignite the flame-throwers!

RonJoan

What we wear to board the ship depends on the weather, where we board, and what we have been doing for our few days of pre cruise activity. It has been shorts, cotton slacks, and jeans. Cotton slacks in FLA, jeans in Vancouver, and shorts in in San Juan.

And for the life of me, I cannot see the relationship between what we wear on embarkation and what we wear in the MDR. In FLL, last time...no formal wear. In San Juan...shorts but we did pack suit, etc.

I consider what I'm wearing in-transit to and from the ship as an opportunity to transport something to the ship that I want to wear while aboard but don't want to pack. Hence, I usually dress for the trip as I might dress on a somewhat dressy smart-casual night (i.e., let us say, for dinner in the Pinnacle Grill): Dark grey slacks, a black polo, blue button-down, or black clergy shirt, a black jacket and black casual shoes. I'll wear the slacks and jacket on about half of the Smart-Casual nights and the shirt at least a couple of times.

If I were trying to go on a cruise with minimal luggage and get-by on Formal Nights with the minimal the Line requests of us, I would dress more-or-less the same way and pack a couple of white dress shirts and a couple of ties or clergy shirts ... and ...whammo ... I'm ready for Formal Night (yes, jacket-and-tie is not "Formal Wear," but it does suffice for Formal Night per the Line's dress code).

Yes, it is "permissable" to wear a knit shirt and jeans to board the ship and go afterward to lunch in the MDR. HAL's dress code allows jeans in the MDR during the day and on casual nights.

As others have said, a lot depends on what you will be doing prior to boarding, where you're boarding and the weather.

You'll be fine....

Like RevNeal, my clothing for both flying to the port and boarding the ship is influenced by what may not fit in my suitcase. So for an Alaska cruise, there is a VERY good chance I'll board wearing my hiking boots and a a hooded rainjacket. In a warmer climate, I'll be wearing something a bit dressier, probably, such as a nice blouse or sweater, with dress pants (NOT evening-type, business type). DH will be wearing his jeans and a golf shirt. We may have our parkas tied around our waists, having flown from the frozen north :)

I normally travel in decent black pants just in case our luggage doesn't come. I can always pick up some tops along the way if I have a presentable pair of pants to wear. I also wear a versatile shoe, just in case.

I wear the same thing!

Yet we see thread after thread chipping at the edges, proclaiming ones right to wear whatever they want and to h*** with everyone else, and seeking permission to flaunt or ignore the HAL standards. Why?

And then there are those who make smart-aleck remarks about wearing a Tux to board the ship. RonJoan

No doubt to taunt "The Clothes Police"!;)

Some of the posts in this thread just have to be jokes. I mean, airline upgrades, better rooms, intimidating the TSA. Sorry folks, but, that's just laughable.

If you don't believe that dressing up can affect how people treat you, you haven't been paying attention.

If you don't believe that dressing up can affect how people treat you, you haven't been paying attention.

My mistake. I dressed above what I usually do for my last cab ride, and the driver changed to new tires to ensure a better ride for me. He also refused a tip, saying I was dressed so nice that it was an honor to have me in his cab.

Let me know again how your clothing affects your interaction with the TSA.

Archived