SOLO Cruising

Princesss

What is the cheapest way to cruise solo ? Can you still get OBC if the price drops ? Who offers the best deal ? I wish it was less than 200%

Solo can be very expensive. I've only taken one solo cruise so far. You might want to post this on the Solo board for more answers. Good luck!

There is no way to save and cruise solo. All cabins are now 200% of the fare. This means you might have to book a low deck inside cabin when you really want a Deck 6 or higher balcony cabin.

Early Saver rates is a good way to try and save, but be warned, two out of the three cruises that I booked ES rates didn't go down, no they went up. The one that went down only went down $160. I have heard some ES rates go down 200-300+....not my luck.....

I have cruised solo many times before and I enjoy it. You could see if a good friend wants to to with you and that way you can get a better cabin. However, be careful about who you choose and choose a roomie you can get along with and has the same lifestyle you do. You don't want to get stuck with a early to bed early to rise when your a go to bed at 3am and wake up at noon person......You want to be very careful who you cruise with because you don't want to regret asking that person to go. I will NEVER cruise with my mother in the same cabin because if I do not go to bed at the same time she bitches and moans and groans that she couldn't get to sleep cuz I was out until midnight........sorry, no, I want to stay up late and have fun.....

I have cruised the past two cruises with a friend, however, these cruises were to be solo, but she really needed a vacation and you can bet your ass we had an amazingly fun time!!!!! So much so I'm springing for us to go again...yep, me paying for the cruise...why not, she isn't floating in a pool of money, neither am I, but we had fun and I said why not!!!!! I'd pay for two to go anyhow if I went solo.......

There is no way to save and cruise solo. All cabins are now 200% of the fare. This means you might have to book a low deck inside cabin when you really want a Deck 6 or higher balcony cabin.

Early Saver rates is a good way to try and save, but be warned, two out of the three cruises that I booked ES rates didn't go down, no they went up. The one that went down only went down $160. I have heard some ES rates go down 200-300+....not my luck.....

I have cruised solo many times before and I enjoy it. You could see if a good friend wants to to with you and that way you can get a better cabin. However, be careful about who you choose and choose a roomie you can get along with and has the same lifestyle you do. You don't want to get stuck with a early to bed early to rise when your a go to bed at 3am and wake up at noon person......You want to be very careful who you cruise with because you don't want to regret asking that person to go. I will NEVER cruise with my mother in the same cabin because if I do not go to bed at the same time she bitches and moans and groans that she couldn't get to sleep cuz I was out until midnight........sorry, no, I want to stay up late and have fun.....

I have cruised the past two cruises with a friend, however, these cruises were to be solo, but she really needed a vacation and you can bet your ass we had an amazingly fun time!!!!! So much so I'm springing for us to go again...yep, me paying for the cruise...why not, she isn't floating in a pool of money, neither am I, but we had fun and I said why not!!!!! I'd pay for two to go anyhow if I went solo.......

That's a nice idea !

What a nice friend you are. Have fun! :)

When I cruise solo, I generally get a 1A inside cabin, I look for the larger cabins on either the upper, empress or verandah decks. I prefer 7 day cruises, and have found some nice values booking ES even with the 200%. My next cruise on the Valor, Verandah cabin 8357 is $650 w/port & taxes.

... I'd pay for two to go anyhow if I went solo.......

My thoughts exactly. My last cruise and my upcoming cruise I was going to go solo & pay 200% since I couldn't find a (paying) room mate, so I decided to take people who needed a vacation but didn't have the funds.

There are a few Carnival sailing that offer less than the 200%, you just need to get with either a TA or find a Ta site that lists single supplement specials.

There are also a couple of solo newsletters that are helpful in finding deals. Sadly, we arent allowed to mention them, but many of the deals are listed on the solo board, here is a link to the solo deals thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=851324&page=31

Give up on Carnival in this point...

I used to book 1As for 130 to 150% of the price and now Carnevil wants 200% for a 1A cabin.. on them....Lost some of my business...:mad:

Try HAL and Celebity and try a site that has to do with solo cruisers and you will make out great....;)

I have 6 booked that I just invited friends along who have not offered me any money yet and did 2 in the past that way.

Costs me the same, so I tell them if they can they can pay for the hotel or something. I have one gal who has backed out for sure and one not sure, but I left their names on the bookings. As I said, same price for me if they wind up going or not.

I did book Triumph this nov solo.

When I cruise solo, I generally get a 1A inside cabin, I look for the larger cabins on either the upper, empress or verandah decks. I prefer 7 day cruises, and have found some nice values booking ES even with the 200%. My next cruise on the Valor, Verandah cabin 8357 is $650 w/port & taxes.

$650 for solo? that is really cheap. i will have too look that up. i love inside cabins for the price.

There are a few Carnival sailing that offer less than the 200%, you just need to get with either a TA or find a Ta site that lists single supplement specials.

There are also a couple of solo newsletters that are helpful in finding deals. Sadly, we arent allowed to mention them, but many of the deals are listed on the solo board, here is a link to the solo deals thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=851324&page=31

My PVP says there are never any solo supplements less than 200%.

The TA site which lists some Carnival solo deals on Carnival, show a higher rate, they dont identify, then they take 200% of the ES rate and show it as the solo rate (check, its always double the ES rate) and then state solo supplement is 43% of the other rate with a savings of ...very misleading.

My PVP says there are never any solo supplements less than 200%.

The TA site which lists some Carnival solo deals on Carnival, show a higher rate, they dont identify, then they take 200% of the ES rate and show it as the solo rate (check, its always double the ES rate) and then state solo supplement is 43% of the other rate with a savings of ...very misleading.

and very confussing. I always call and just ask for the bottom line. I don't care about the actual break down of the cost. It used to be very affordable to cruise solo on Carnival, not any longer. I still would not cruise any other way, so I am now taking less cruises and just pay the 200% knowing upfront what it will cost me.

Not all cruiselines charge a 200% single supplement for every cabin on every cruise. You have to take the time to do your research and find a cruise and price that works for you. First of all, clear the single supplement percentage out of your mind. It's the final cost that's important, not how you got there. If you are patient and flexible, the bargains are out there. I don't use a TA or any third-party sites; I find all of my cruises on the cruiseline websites, at a price I'm happy with.

and very confussing. I always call and just ask for the bottom line. I don't care about the actual break down of the cost. It used to be very affordable to cruise solo on Carnival, not any longer. I still would not cruise any other way, so I am now taking less cruises and just pay the 200% knowing upfront what it will cost me.

Iv been saying Im going to cut back since Im paying 100% of the cost now, even if I invite someone along... but so far I havent cut back!!! lmao.

... maybe :D .. RCL also has some solo deals, you might look into that overall would be cheaper than booking carnival. I saw a balcony on a special 3 day Liberty (newish ship) for $299 .. no solo supplement, but wound up booking a JS to get the double cruise credit.. but they had cheaper solo supplements on all cabins.

What is the cheapest way to cruise solo ? Can you still get OBC if the price drops ? Who offers the best deal ? I wish it was less than 200%

NCL Epic. They have studios for one, so there is no extra fee for non sailing passengers.

Early Saver rates is a good way to try and save, but be warned, two out of the three cruises that I booked ES rates didn't go down,

choose a roomie you can get along with and has the same lifestyle you do. ..You want to be very careful who you cruise with because you don't want to regret asking that person to go..

I'm finding the ES rate to be that way for me to, so far, but I haven't reached final payment on either cruise so we will see.

I have cruised solo and with friends. I find that, at times, I prefer to cruise alone. I have decided that if I cruise twice or more a year, at least one will be solo. I admire the posters who have taken friends without charging. I have a couple questions about that later. I looked on a TA site that has a section for single rate. I found one for Royal Caribbean and called Royal and asked how can they offer the rate lower than Royal. The Royal PCP said that they take off the taxes for one. I agree, Fire, it is confusing. I have found a rate on Royal before, a repositioning from Galveston to Barcelona, paying 200%, about $650. The killer was the airfare from Barcelona home ($1700.00).

I am becoming a little more open to having someone come alone for free but a couple questions: Do you pay for that persons, airfare, taxes, tips, excursions, etc? Have you had someone feel that they are to cruise with you like that every time that you go, "So, when are we going on our next cruise",?

Someone said that you pay the taxes on two when you go solo or not. I have not found that to be true. When I cruised with Carnival solo, I only paid the taxes for myself and the same was true with NCL.

Not all cruiselines charge a 200% single supplement for every cabin on every cruise. You have to take the time to do your research and find a cruise and price that works for you. First of all, clear the single supplement percentage out of your mind. It's the final cost that's important, not how you got there. If you are patient and flexible, the bargains are out there. I don't use a TA or any third-party sites; I find all of my cruises on the cruiseline websites, at a price I'm happy with.

With total props to Firefly (who initially posted this link, and I immediately saved it to my Favorites -- thanks, Firefly!!) :) . . . this site, which is directly from the cruiseline, and not a third party, is a great resource for some of that solo passenger cruise travel research:

http://royalcaribbeancruises.com/Newsletter/AnyoneSingleSub.html

Do you pay for that persons, airfare, taxes, tips, excursions, etc? Have you had someone feel that they are to cruise with you like that every time that you go, "So, when are we going on our next cruise",?

Someone said that you pay the taxes on two when you go solo or not. I have not found that to be true. When I cruised with Carnival solo, I only paid the taxes for myself and the same was true with NCL.

No, I expect them to get to the cruise themselves, though one gal and her mom are flying into galveston perhaps for Mariner, so I said I would pick them up at the houston airport.

We all pay our own expenses. One gal we are going to do ship excursions at all the ports. Another just wants to cruise cheap, so we will not spend a lot extra.

One gal Iv known for 35 years and I am planned everything out. She has never been on a cruise. I moved us into a JS on RCL :D and I got a nice hotel precruise. yea for me.

One already bite the dust. And one is a strong maybe, she smokes and isnt happy Carnival changed to no smoking in so many places.

My feeling is if anyone backs out then I still go alone, havent lost anything.

As far as the taxes ... dont be so hasty. Yes, you only pay one set of add on taxes and fees .. but port taxes are part of your cruise fare, in fact a large part of it. you are paying two port taxes (ask a TA what NCF is).

I have not yet cruised solo on RCL but read they subtract out the port taxes, but someone could be confused as seems like a lot of people dont know they are part of the cruisefare.

I got full FCC credit on my next cruise, even though I'm sailing solo. Early saver seems to work the best for me. I just book 6+ months out and go for porthole cabins. If I find a willing companion I can always add them just for the additional tips and taxes. I don't see why you wouldn't get OBC if the price drops, the PT cabins don't ever seem to drop though.

The absolute cheapest way though is one of the single cabins on the Norwegian Epic! Seven nights seem to be around $800, vs $980 or so on Carnival.

Hit me up the next time you cruise, I'm in Fort Worth and don't bite. If nothing else we can split fuel/parking costs to Galveston.

Give up on Carnival in this point...

I used to book 1As for 130 to 150% of the price and now Carnevil wants 200% for a 1A cabin.. on them....Lost some of my business...:mad:

Try HAL and Celebity and try a site that has to do with solo cruisers and you will make out great....;)

Celebrity has really good Tuesday specials. With 150% solo supplements. XcitingDeals_cel_tues.pdf (application/pdf Object) (does not show today's prices though)

I agree. Carnival has lost my loyalty as a solo.

I have found a rate on Royal before, a repositioning from Galveston to Barcelona, paying 200%, about $650. The killer was the airfare from Barcelona home ($1700.00).

Royal has very good solo rates on the Transatlantics. I have two booked. Air can be obtained through Choice Air at very good rates. Vancouver to Barcelona with British Airways one change for $547. Worth looking into.

With total props to Firefly (who initially posted this link, and I immediately saved it to my Favorites -- thanks, Firefly!!) :) . . . this site, which is directly from the cruiseline, and not a third party, is a great resource for some of that solo passenger cruise travel research:

http://royalcaribbeancruises.com/Newsletter/AnyoneSingleSub.html

Thank you for the link and thank you Firefly

I sail solo often and realize Carnival made a decision that many said would blow up in their faces. The prevailing thought was that there is no way they would be able to sell 1a cabins at 200%, yet they seem to have found a way.

As someone mentioned, the avg non cruise forum reader doesnt know about supplements, they see a price and either book it or look elsewhere.

Royal offers some great deals in NOV-DEC and on longer cruises.

NCL Epic. They have studios for one, so there is no extra fee for non sailing passengers.

Just remember that with the Epic, those cabins are so popular that it can be just as expensive to book a studio than to book any other inside even with the supplement.

. . . The prevailing thought was that there is no way they would be able to sell 1a cabins at 200%, yet they seem to have found a way.

If (hypothetically, of course ;)) you had access to their booking engine, you'd see that the 'way' they found, for numerouse 1A cabins, isn't as big a revenue generator as the former 150% arrangement.

Occurs in numerous home ports, but primarily Florida.

Do plenty of research and shop various sites; earlier this year I booked

a 4j (deck 10, picture window with a view of the "hidden deck") on CCL

Liberty for a lot cheaper than one of those tiny studios on the Epic.

Shop around and find the best deal for yourself, and def check out the

solo forum

Archived