Irene - Veendam NYC Arrival/Departure 8/28

Sagedeb

On the HAL Home Webpage there is a link to "Travel Advisories" http://www.hollandamerica.com/news/Main.action?tabName=Travel+Advisories Why does it still state that the Veendam will sail today at 4:45 as scheduled?

Maybe your web browser is not refreshing. This is what I have seen since yesterday:

"The ship will remain in New York overnight on Sunday, August 28, and will now depart Monday, August 29, at 2:00 pm."

Maybe your web browser is not refreshing. This is what I have seen since yesterday:

"The ship will remain in New York overnight on Sunday, August 28, and will now depart Monday, August 29, at 2:00 pm."

Thanks, but that is weird I tried with two different Web Browsers and can not see aht you are seeing. Hopefully it is just me!

I am here in Spain but just want you to know we are thinking of you.

Hope everything works out ok and that everyone stays safe

Thank you very much for your concern and good wishes.

To all those bickering over what might be happening and what is open and what is closed. Unless you are in the middle of this , please keep your thoughts to yourself. My husband just returned from working over 18 hours straight in this storm helping people that have flooded basements, broken watermains and all kinds of other disasters going on.

Whatever HAL decided to do is up to them. We have no knowledge of the entire situation.

To all those that expect some sort of compensation-- that is what TRAVEL INSURANCE is for. If you gambled and did not take it--YOU LOST--FACE IT and take some responsibility for your decision.

I am leaving of the Veendam in 5 weeks. Even though we live within a 1/2 hour drive to the pier, we bought travel insurance. The cost was $75. I think that is a small price to pay for peace of mind.

And people babble about "who needs tv or newspapers when on vacation"? You can't take a vacation from the world, IMO. You need to know there is still a world out there and anyone who had turned on CNN or Fox this week had to have heard about Hurricane Irene. Did they not look at a NY Times at sea? Is anyone really that oblivious? :confused:

Not oblivious, they just know the world will continue without them. When they left on their cruise, Irene was affecting the Caribbean. As this is a 1 in 100 year event, why would anyone who is not in weather bother to watch?

I have friends who were off the grid and camping for two weeks during 9/11. They do not feel the same emotion as people who "watched it happen live". Not everyone NEEDS to be watching the news 24/7. Those who don't seem to have much better ability to cope and do not view the world with a negative sensationalist prism!

Thank you very much for your concern and good wishes.

To all those bickering over what might be happening and what is open and what is closed. Unless you are in the middle of this , please keep your thoughts to yourself. My husband just returned from working over 18 hours straight in this storm helping people that have flooded basements, broken watermains and all kinds of other disasters going on.

I know parts of Staten Island really suffered a lot of damage. I have friends who live there. Thanks to your husband for his wonderful service.

I've been listening to 77 WABC Radio from NYC, on-line. They have been giving a very good, non-hysterical observation of what is taking place in the City.

There was a surge of water into Battery Park, and the big concern as of 9:40 AM, Eastern time, is the salt water seeping underground to make contact with electrical installations.

I've been listening to 77 WABC Radio from NYC, on-line. They have been giving a very good, non-hysterical observation of what is taking place in the City.

There was a surge of water into Battery Park, and the big concern as of 9:40 AM, Eastern time, is the salt water seeping underground to make contact with electrical installations.

if you want to see a live feed of NYC go to 7online.com and go down to the live feed. Very good coverage.

Here in NY, we've been under a tornado watch all night. High tide in the city will be at 8AM and they're expecting a surge of water to flood the streets. Things are not looking good for the city.

It's foolish to speculate whether or not the passengers will be able to board the Veendam today.

People outside the city who are not affected directly should really just pray that all of us remain safe, including the passengers already on the Veendam and those waiting to board. Right now, the east side of NYC is getting the brunt of the storm, but the winds are expected to change and then the west side will be hit very hard.

It's disconcerting to see such bickering, especially from people who can sit back and watch their TV and don't have to worry about falling trees, loss of power, flooded streets, etc.

We're all entitled to our opinions, but let's just it go now and see where the next 12 hours takes us.

Happy to hear thus far you and Sam are safe, Carol.

Wind is picking up here and is more than gusts but a steady wind. We've had very heavy rain which continues.

So far, things are okay in our local area and we hope it stays that way.

Sheila........ STAY SAFE.

That's what I saw, too, when I checked this morning.

On another note, I'm sure this is a logistical nightmare for HAL. And I just saw on Fox that 20 foot seas are anticipated tomorrow for the Maine Coast. Where is the Maasdam scheduled to be tomorrow?

Not oblivious, they just know the world will continue without them. When they left on their cruise, Irene was affecting the Caribbean. As this is a 1 in 100 year event, why would anyone who is not in weather bother to watch?

I have friends who were off the grid and camping for two weeks during 9/11. They do not feel the same emotion as people who "watched it happen live". Not everyone NEEDS to be watching the news 24/7. Those who don't seem to have much better ability to cope and do not view the world with a negative sensationalist prism!

Each to their own but I know for sure if I was boarding a cruise ship in NY and knew there was a hurricane in the Caribbean at the time I was boarding, it is not possible I would be aboard that ship for a week and not at least a few times check CNN or Fox on the TV located right in my cabin to see the course that hurricane was predicted to take.

If you are camping in the woods, yes....... different story.

If you are on a cruise ship, knowing you will be returning to a port in a week, for ME, it is inconceivable someone would remain so detached they would not feel the need for information in order to be capable of handling their individual needs upon arriving back in port.

At some point during a seven day cruise, it would take nothing away from one'sw trip to turn on CNN and do a quick hurricane check.

NOT to mention, there is not a chance they could have been on this ship and did not hear anything from Captain, Hotel Manager and Officers/staff providing information to guests. If they call a meeting in the show lounge (which they did on Maasdam last year with Hurricane Earl), it is the responsibility of the guest to sit themselves there and listen.

How could they not hear other guests speaking of the hurricane aimed for NY, NJ, Boston etc? I've been on ships when hurricanes were an issue and as would be expected, there lots of chatter about it.

JMO......

Wind is picking up here and is more than gusts but a steady wind. We've had very heavy rain which continues.

We've had nothing much here, Judy. The sun is even out now. Go figure. A little breezy with some gusts but that's all. No rain.

That's what I saw, too, when I checked this morning.

On another note, I'm sure this is a logistical nightmare for HAL. And I just saw on Fox that 20 foot seas are anticipated tomorrow for the Maine Coast. Where is the Maasdam scheduled to be tomorrow?

Maasdam is skipping Bar Harbor today and Halifax. They are sailing direct to Sydney and will subsitute Saguenay and Gaspe later in the week. Though changes, should still be a good cruise.

I just saw your note that things are quiet for you. GOOD.

Thanks, Judy. Even my two grandsons who rode out the storm in Montauk with their other grandparents are fine. Ditto for son and grandson in Philly. Daughter here is OK too. We do have water in our basement though. You and Robert stay safe.

Each to their own but I know for sure if I was boarding a cruise ship in NY and knew there was a hurricane in the Caribbean at the time I was boarding, it is not possible I would be aboard that ship for a week and not at least a few times check CNN or Fox on the TV located right in my cabin to see the course that hurricane was predicted to take.

JMO......

And some of us do not feel a need to be kept informed by a bunch of no nothing talking heads. Some of us can just detach from the news because we would rather enjoy our vacation rather than worry about something over which have zero control.

It is like how I feel if my house were to catch on fire and be destroyed while on vacation. I would in no way want to be contacted. There is nothing I could do about it from the ocean and I would rather just enjoy my vacation and deal with the aftermath when I return. There is nothing in this world that can be cured with worry or panic!

We've had nothing much here, Judy. The sun is even out now. Go figure. A little breezy with some gusts but that's all. No rain.

Just a little off topic.

Sheila, my mom is supposed to leave on a bus trip to Cape Cod tomorrow with her senior group. They have been looking forward to it all summer, Do you think they will be affected? Thanks

Claire

The bickering was the result of a specific poster who didn't understand the magnitude of the emergency situation in NY and the northeast. For New Yorkers that was difficult to read and I don't think it's fair for anyone to criticize others for having an issue with that.

This was not a situation of "opinion". We were dealing with facts. For someone unattached and uninformed to step into the mix and make light of it all was uncalled for. So I defend anyone who took issue with this poster who seemed to play a little fast and loose with the truth.

Everyone's nerves were on edge yesterday. Northeasterners were faced with a massive storm and a "much ado about nothing" attitude was annoying at best.

As a postscript, having lived in NY for 20 years, taxis are not "out and about" just looking for a fare too often. It's fortunate to catch a cab in a rainstorm ... let alone a hurricane.:) But it's true none of that matters when all is said and done.

All that said, I know you're all not out of the woods yet but thankfully the storm has sped up and is moving quickly now so it looks like the damage will be much less than anticipated. Thank God for that. Seems like flooding as time goes on will be the most major problem over the next few days.

Only problem now is we have Jose possibly affecting Bermuda and another wave moving off Africa which will likely be Katia. September is going to be a grueling month for those of us in paths of hurricanes and I just might start a countdown clock until this all comes to an end.

I'm anxious to see if any CCers were onboard Veendam and post their perceptions of how everything was handled during the last voyage and also those embarking today or tomorrow will tell us their experience. From the horse's mouth is always better than all of us shouting hypothetically:D.

Maybe when we see all this in perspective we'll come away with a better impression of how HAL handled all this ... or maybe not.

Posted about an hour ago on the Aug 28 Veendam Roll Call by Marti 119.......

My husband and I decided to take not chances and drove from just north of Toronto to NYC Friday night. We arrived at our hotel at 4:30a.m:eek: and of course our room wasn't ready so we had breakfast and then walked Times Square. We are staying at the Pearl Hotel right by Times Square and not in an evacuation zone, plus 1.19miles from the port.

I have to say the media hyped alot of this storm up. Some areas are flooded, but to be honest we didn't hear a thing and it just looks like its raining.

We are trying to get a hold of the pier to see if there is any parking open. Baggage porters are in, so I guess the terminal is open.

We have our room booked for tonight to, but if we can get on the ship this afternoon, we're gonna try. Hope to see everyone and best of luck getting here:).......

From the news this morning looks like NYC wasn't hit too hard....the storm seems to have lost its bck end and much of its punch going over land in NC yesterday.

Having lived through the uncertainty and damage of Katrina, Rita and Ike over the last few years....hurricanes are bad, but the media hype can be much worst!

Glad NYC was spared the worst.

cwn, thanks for posting that positive news.

Media does hype hurricanes a lot....but it is essential that people in low laying areas evacuate in a timely manner. I understand why they have to notify so people prepare and evacuate some areas, but it does get overdone IMO.

That being said, everyone should be careful when they venture outside. Watch out for flooded areas, falling tree limbs (they sometimes fall a day or two later), and downed power lines.

Archived