Waterproof cameras and pic. downloading

calex1976

Hello every one, we will be going on our cruise early next year. We plan on bringing along a waterproof camera along with our other good camera. Can anyone recommend a good waterproof digital camera for bringing on a snorkeling excursion. I can free dive to about 25 feet so will need a decent one that will not leak. I have been looking at the Kodak Easy Share (waterproof model).

Also, I have been contemplating bringing my laptop, mainly to download pictures and sore them in case of loosing my camera. Is there any other way to download from camera card to flash drive? Such as ship computer at internet cafe?

Thanks for any info, Chad

Hello every one, we will be going on our cruise early next year. We plan on bringing along a waterproof camera along with our other good camera. Can anyone recommend a good waterproof digital camera for bringing on a snorkeling excursion. I can free dive to about 25 feet so will need a decent one that will not leak. I have been looking at the Kodak Easy Share (waterproof model).

Also, I have been contemplating bringing my laptop, mainly to download pictures and sore them in case of loosing my camera. Is there any other way to download from camera card to flash drive? Such as ship computer at internet cafe?

Thanks for any info, Chad

Most cameras come with a cable that goes from camera to computer.

Many of your fellow passengers will have laptops. I've lent mine to many fellow passengers to do exactly what mention. So, if the only reason you re thinking about bring your computer is to transfer photos, I don't think it is necessary. Plan B is simply to purchase extra memory cards.

The ship's photo shop transfer files to CDs/DVDs. Since this is a revenue source, the computer lab cameras are often rigged to prevent doing the same (there are other, better, reasons for this also.

Sorry, I can't help with the camera. I haven't taken a camera with me on a dive since digital killed silver.

My Dh just bought the Sony CyberShot DSC-TX10~waterproof to 16ft, 16.2 mega pixels, 3.0" Extra Fine LCD Full HD movie. Price runs online from $280-330~!

We haven't taken it on a cruise yet~ but we've used it in our pool to take underwater pictures of our dog diving and they turned out amazing! Pictures turn out wonderful also!

If your camera uses SD cards (or mini-or micro-SD) these are very cheap now. Just buy enough cards to hold the photos from your trip. For even a two-week trip you'll be all set for $30 to $50. In my opinion 100 photos per day on average is more photos than most people will take, and a 4 Gigabyte SD-HD card for $15 or so will hold several hundred pictures.

Back when 8 Meg was a good size card I spent a lot of time and money trying to optimize photo storage. Little tiny Zip drives, regular Zip drives, battery-operated hard disks, I've done most of them. Finally, memory cards are cheap enough to make it easy to just load up on them instead of offline storage solutions. I carry 20 Gigs of SD cards in a little wallet and I've never come close to needing that amount of storage.

I purchased the Canon D10 last winter and used it extensively snorkeling in the Caribbean. It is good to 10 meters (33 feet) and has various settings including a underwater mode. I would think that it would be available thru Amazon for well under $300. While it floats I would recommend purchasing a floating wrist strap for it.

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras/powershot_d10

http://travel.webshots.com/album/579652140oBLRLs

Here is what I think is the most definitive and comprehensive review: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q311waterproofcompactgrouptest/

Any modern camera is likely far better than any cheap throw away or a camera from two years ago. Don't know why Kodak wasn't one of those reviewed. Kodak is such a sad story about an American iconici company that is history.

On a seperate note I have the model that is the cheapest in the review. There is a reason it is the cheapest. It isn't that the pictures are cheap, you get what you pay for. Only you can decide if spending more or less and getting more or less is worth the money.

As to bring laptop, great idea for backup and viewing. Just make sure you rinse the camera well and let it dry before removing the card!

I use a Canon D10 as well and it takes AMAZING pictures both on land, in water and even night. I've got to the point that I am using it more than my dslr. This upcoming cruise, I have decided to just take it with us instead of lugging around my heavy expensive camera and all the lens and accessories.

Here are some pictures taken at night:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=25079768&postcount=10

Here is my smugmug account with tons of pictures taken underwater (the link is to snorkeling in St Thomas). There are other folders on there that were taken snorkeling in other places and on land if you care to explore:

http://kimbakersphotography.smugmug.com/Vacation/5th-day-St-Thomas/13875332_gPNF6q#1017703050_nhpoV

As for keeping the pictures...Last year I bought a memory card big enough to hold 9999 pictures :eek: and it did the job quite well. I found that my only problem I had was that the battery died because I had the camera on for so long snorkeling. This year, I have wised up and bought extra batteries to take along (no chance of that happening again :D).

However, I've also decided to do a few things differently as well. I'm buying several smaller memory sticks and using 1 per day or island. That way IF by any chance something was to ever happen to my camera, lost or stolen, I would still have my memories with me. It kind of makes it easier to differentiate the different days too. A long vacation seems to run together sometimes on where what was taken. :) Just a thought.

I owned the Pentax Optio WP (first popular waterproof digital camera) for years before passing it on to my parents (they've killed no fewer than three of my hand-me-down cameras in the past, including one by standing on a rock levy and being surprised by a wave) and it's still trucking along. Last year I bought a Panasonic TS-2, and I love it. It's fast to take photos, takes vibrant pictures underwater, and it actually takes good photos for a regular camera, which not all underwater cameras do. Now that there is a TS-3, I'd recommend either of these. The Canon D-10 is always highly rated, but I don't like the lens sticking out of the front for an underwater/rugged camera, plus Canon hasn't updated it in three years, so it's falling behind in some features. Buy a good underwater camera, at least a 16gb SDHC card for it, and you shouldn't have to transfer photos until you get home. Here's a link to one card maker's storage chart (I haven't used a Kingston SDHC card, so I can't vouch for the quality of it) http://www.kingston.com/flash/sdhc.asp?id=5

Also, get at least a class 6 card, and you won't have to worry about recording speed when shooting video.

I'm buying several smaller memory sticks and using 1 per day or island. That way IF by any chance something was to ever happen to my camera, lost or stolen, I would still have my memories with me. It kind of makes it easier to differentiate the different days too. A long vacation seems to run together sometimes on where what was taken. :) Just a thought.

Another neat trick to identify which pictures belong to what day is to make your first shot of each day a picture of the ship's Daily Newspaper, which has the date and port (or "at sea") on it.

I'm buying several smaller memory sticks and using 1 per day or island. That way IF by any chance something was to ever happen to my camera, lost or stolen, I would still have my memories with me. It kind of makes it easier to differentiate the different days too. A long vacation seems to run together sometimes on where what was taken. :) Just a thought.

Another neat trick to identify which pictures belong to what day is to make your first shot of each day a picture of the ship's Daily Newspaper, which has the date and port (or "at sea") on it.

Love that idea.

Another great idea! Thanks :)

Thank you all for the good ideas. Now I just have to narrow down my choice in waterproof cameras. I think I will be getting a mid-grade for shore excurions and use my good cannon for pics on the ship.

Guess I will be leaving the laptop at home, maybe I will run into some one with one I can borrow. Maybe I can tempt them with some of the Rum I will be ordering before we leave...lol.

Just curious, what are you planning on downloading your pictures to? A single-sided DVD-R will only hold a 4 GB card, and a double-sided DVD holds an 8 GB card. Uploading a full card would take awhile (I've done it but only at home).

Just curious, what are you planning on downloading your pictures to? A single-sided DVD-R will only hold a 4 GB card, and a double-sided DVD holds an 8 GB card. Uploading a full card would take awhile (I've done it but only at home).

I planned on bringing the lap top to store them on or using a few flash drives, I seem to pick one up every time I see them on sell. I think I might just get a few more cards for my camera and use a new one at every port.

I work off shore and travel everywhere with my laptop, so it just seems natural to bring it with me, but I do worry about it getting broken in checked luggage and really do not feel like carrying it around waiting to board.

My sister does about the same thing when traveling across country, she takes pictures of each states welcome sign. I will have to remember that about the newspapers, thanks.

That's a good idea, what I often do is take a picture each morning of the TV screen with the date and location shown.

I planned on bringing the lap top to store them on or using a few flash drives, I seem to pick one up every time I see them on sell. I think I might just get a few more cards for my camera and use a new one at every port.

I work off shore and travel everywhere with my laptop, so it just seems natural to bring it with me, but I do worry about it getting broken in checked luggage and really do not feel like carrying it around waiting to board.

Never, never, never pack your laptop in your checked luggage. I think you would be presenting too much temptation to the people who handle it when it is out of your possession.

Never, never, never pack your laptop in your checked luggage. I think you would be presenting too much temptation to the people who handle it when it is out of your possession.

Or it'll get crunched. Someone my dad works with tossed his in his checked bag so he could run and catch a plane, then saw his bag get dropped while they were loading it. The screen was completely busted.

Or it'll get crunched. Someone my dad works with tossed his in his checked bag so he could run and catch a plane, then saw his bag get dropped while they were loading it. The screen was completely busted.

I have carried my laptop back and forth from Mobile, AL. to Fourchon, LA. for many years without problems, but I don't think I would trust a porter to carry it from the dock to the ship. I think if I decide to bring it I will just carry it on in it's bag.

Archived