Sunny in NYC

mondsd

Ok the sun is pretty much out in times square right now. I want to get on board them Gem today, not tomorrow...... the ship should pull in now so we can get onboard. Just venting!!!!!!!:mad:

That was the eye of the storm. Always sunny in the eye.

Glad it wasn't as bad as they thought it was going to be.

Just rain here in Northern VT right now. Lots of it though, the pool is almost full. Don't know for sure if we will get any high winds cause the storm is still South of us but probably not at this point. We are losing our Satelite TV signal though, guess I'll have to stop watching the storm coverage and do some housework. Hope all you NY sailers get out soon and enjoy your cruise.

Ok the sun is pretty much out in times square right now. I want to get on board them Gem today, not tomorrow...... the ship should pull in now so we can get onboard. Just venting!!!!!!!:mad:

Problem is if they arrived today as scheduled it would be a logistical nightmare for those arriving/departing. All mass transit is still suspending, as well as the airports. I can only imagine how rough the seas have been yesterday and today for the passanger on the Gem currently. Hopefully they are ok.

Plus the storm surge, even though not as bad as first thought, is still evident, and trying to get that huge ship into the berth safely would be a huge problem. Just because the sun is shining doesn't mean that the wind is not blowing and the tide rising.

Problem is if they arrived today as scheduled it would be a logistical nightmare for those arriving/departing. All mass transit is still suspending, as well as the airports. I can only imagine how rough the seas have been yesterday and today for the passanger on the Gem currently. Hopefully they are ok.

Just checked the webcams for the Gem and the Jewell. Wouldn't want to be on either of them today. It's hard to tell but those seas are rough. Can you say seasick????:(

Glad that the damage hasn't been too bad along the Atlantic coast.

You'd be doing more than venting if sticking to the schedule put people in harm's way. Better safe then sorry.

Look at it this way -- you have a heck of a story to tell.

you have every right to vent, but has NYC opened up so the Gem can pull in?

Nita

Just checked the webcams for the Gem and the Jewell. Wouldn't want to be on either of them today. It's hard to tell but those seas are rough. Can you say seasick????:(

I didn't look at the jewel, but the gem is at least looking a slight bit calmer than it did a few hours ago.

I wouldn't want to be either.

Plus the storm surge, even though not as bad as first thought, is still evident, and trying to get that huge ship into the berth safely would be a huge problem. Just because the sun is shining doesn't mean that the wind is not blowing and the tide rising.

HAL's Veendham seems to have pulled in this morning some time. I saw a ship docked on the cruise terminal's web cam: http://newyorkwebcams.net/manhattan-cruise-terminal/

And then when I checked out the ship tracking map, it shows the Veendham; it wasn't there around 10:30 or so this morning:

http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/cruiseships.phtml

I guess they decided to ride out the storm surge docked.

I, for one, would have been extremely nervous if I were on either sailing. I hope all get to where they need to be safely and hopefully Irene is the "big one" for this year and that is it!

I can't wait to hear stories of those who were out to sea during this time.

HAL's Veendham seems to have pulled in this morning some time. I saw a ship docked on the cruise terminal's web cam: http://newyorkwebcams.net/manhattan-cruise-terminal/

And then when I checked out the ship tracking map, it shows the Veendham; it wasn't there around 10:30 or so this morning:

Just out of curiosity I looked at HAL's website and it says that the Veendam arrived on Sat. morning, will remain docked today and leave for Bermuda tomorrow. Apparently the had to get approval from the Coast Guard to stay in port. It says they are allowing anyone who could safely get to the port today to embark and stay on the ship tonight.

It's all there under travel advisories.

Everytime I checked the webcam last night (until 2am) she was docked there in Manhatten. I really think she stayed docked the whole time since she got there yesterday.

Everytime I checked the webcam last night (until 2am) she was docked there in Manhatten. I really think she stayed docked the whole time since she got there yesterday.

That makes sense. Maybe the ship tracking site was a little wonky today with all the weather-related disruptions.

Well central New England is breaking into the clear right now. Coast is clear and BIL is on his boat outside Boston and weather has calmed down. Winds here are down to about 10-15 and rain is almost stopped. NYC is in the clear for a couple of hours now. Big part of the storm is way up in Vermont/New Hampshire right now. Not much of a storm here in New England except for the rain/floods. :cool:

Down here on the Jersey Shore we had several hours of "much better" weather, but we just took a walk to the beach and suddenly Trop Storm force winds are back.. It's not quite over, but on the last stretch!

Robin

Where on the Jersey Shore are you?

We are planning on going back to Long Beach Island tomorrow to continue our vacation after evacuating the island Thursday night.

Well central New England is breaking into the clear right now. Coast is clear and BIL is on his boat outside Boston and weather has calmed down. Winds here are down to about 10-15 and rain is almost stopped. NYC is in the clear for a couple of hours now. Big part of the storm is way up in Vermont/New Hampshire right now. Not much of a storm here in New England except for the rain/floods. :cool:

Just tons of rain here still in Northern VT. Not as much wind as I expected and that's a good thing. We are up on a hill so are staying dry. I hear one VT route is under 10 feet of water right now though. Kind of a boring day though, made soup, banana bread and am watching National Treasure (for about the 10th time). Here's hoping all ships leave as scheduled.

Where on the Jersey Shore are you?

We are planning on going back to Long Beach Island tomorrow to continue our vacation after evacuating the island Thursday night.

Sorry I didn't get back right away - right after I posted we lost cable and Internet and power for a while too. Winds yesterday afternoon and evening were as bad as during the storm, even with bright blue skies overhead! Power lines, telephone poles, and trees toppling like crazy, still going today! I would recommend you wait a few days, many many roads down here still closed, most still without power, beaches closed. We had two bodies wash up this morning, and still can't even get out of our town (Manasquan) without a lot of detours. LBI took a big hit, not even sure the parkway is fully open yet, nonetheless the island access. We are still flooding all over too.

Robin

Sorry I didn't get back right away - right after I posted we lost cable and Internet and power for a while too. Winds yesterday afternoon and evening were as bad as during the storm, even with bright blue skies overhead! Power lines, telephone poles, and trees toppling like crazy, still going today! I would recommend you wait a few days, many many roads down here still closed, most still without power, beaches closed. We had two bodies wash up this morning, and still can't even get out of our town (Manasquan) without a lot of detours. LBI took a big hit, not even sure the parkway is fully open yet, nonetheless the island access. We are still flooding all over too.

Robin

Stay safe Robin, keeping fingers crossed for everyone directly affected by this.

Stay safe Robin, keeping fingers crossed for everyone directly affected by this.

Thanks for your kind thoughts. It's very nice to have Internet and cable back after 24 hours! Looks like they have opened many roads, but we haven't even reached our max flood level yet, most will peak either today or tomorrow. I know that many of our fallen trees and poles are still blocking local roadways and even the railroad tracks, don't know when they will get them all out of the way. Still power lines going down even now - I monitor my police/rescue scanner and can't believe how many are still falling, and most of the town is still without power (I am lucky to live on a blessed block). The ocean is beginning to calm and cleanup is underway, should be back in business by our big weekend moneymaker!

Robin

Archived