Kids in CL?

NO. Why? Because it's Disney.

Gina

That's not really true. I've been in places like the Grand Hyatt concierge level, with alcoholic drinks, and there are still kids there. It's not a Disney thing, it's parents and kids using a concierge room on vacation that they paid extra for. Nothing more or less.

Children are allowed in the solarium. They just aren't allowed to use the pools. Even though I've witnessed them using the hot tubs on more than one occasion with the parents consent. The pool attendants are usually hesitant to enforce the adults only rule for fear of the wrath of the parents.

:eek: Yikes!! figures.....

so basically by having an adults only area, and then not enforcing it, they set a precedent?

RCI really doesn't seem to care that they're putting their employees in such a predicament!

:eek: Yikes!! figures.....

so basically by having an adults only area, and then not enforcing it, they set a precedent?

RCI really doesn't seem to care that they're putting their employees in such a predicament!

Which is precisely why MDR staff stopped asking pax to leave and dress for dinner. RCI established the dress codes and then threw the crew, who tried to enofrce that code, under the bus. Pax would be verbally abusive to crew and cause scenes.:rolleyes:

Maybe if RCI got honest about it and advertised themselves as "The Disney Wannabee" then pax would know what to expect from them?

Truth in advertising and all that.....;)

I think you have hit the nail on the head. RC is now marketing to families, taking on Carnival and Disney. It is noted by their change in policies, for example, children in CL; increased family activities, for example, purchasing behind the scenes tours that include the bridge, engine control room, some crew areas, etc.

Meanwhile, we have noted that Celebrity is still strictly enforcing dress code in Michaels Lounge during the cocktail hour; offers fewer family centered activities and provides a more traditional cruising experience.

We have noted these subtle changes over the past couple of years. Now all we are waiting to see in the inevitable change in the Captain's Club program to better reflect the new levels of Crown and Anchor program.

NO. Why? Because it's Disney.

Gina

I am sorry, but the opponents of children in CL can't have it both ways. I've seen arguments here that EVEN Disney has adults only areas, but when somebody brings up a point that Disney also allows kids in concierge type of setting in their hotel, then all of a sudden it is OK because it is Disney.

Common folks, pick your line of argument and stick to it ;).

I am sorry, but the opponents of children in CL can't have it both ways. I've seen arguments here that EVEN Disney has adults only areas, but when somebody brings up a point that Disney also allows kids in concierge type of setting in their hotel, then all of a sudden it is OK because it is Disney.

Common folks, pick your line of argument and stick to it ;).

I didn't say it's OK because it's Disney. I just said that's why they do it that way. And apparently there are a lot of other adult areas on Disney, or so I've heard, that RCI doesn't have.

Who's trying to have it both ways? I don't understand what you are saying. :o

Gina

That's not really true. I've been in places like the Grand Hyatt concierge level, with alcoholic drinks, and there are still kids there. It's not a Disney thing, it's parents and kids using a concierge room on vacation that they paid extra for. Nothing more or less.

This does remind me of my August stay at the Radisson in San Juan, Puerto Rico. We had ambassador level service (their own CL) and I vividly remember a whining kid and a stroller (not the same) and wondered why they allow these disruptions. With no exclusions, we're stuck with the behavior that comes with it. And I see way too many parents who don't remove a whining child from the area. At least this lounge was large enough to get the stroller out of the way.

I thought we were only comparing RCI to Disney when I made that previous comment.

Gina

This does remind me of my August stay at the Radisson in San Juan, Puerto Rico. We had ambassador level service (their own CL) and I vividly remember a whining kid and a stroller (not the same) and wondered why they allow these disruptions. With no exclusions, we're stuck with the behavior that comes with it. And I see way too many parents who don't remove a whining child from the area. At least this lounge was large enough to get the stroller out of the way.

I thought we were only comparing RCI to Disney when I made that previous comment.

Gina

We have to face facts. We all know that there are parents who will not discipline their kids. Period.

We all assume that if a child is causing a disruption the parent will remove them so that others aren't disturbed. Not in this lifetime.

So the poor unfortunate Concierge will be forced to make a decision. Tick off one of RCIs exalted suite pax or allow a room full of other pax to be irritated by the screaming kid.

So do you choose to potentially lose the suite pax tip or lose the tips of all of the other CL pax?

Either way I can just about gurantee that the Concierge will be in hot water for whatever decision they make.:(

We all assume that if a child is causing a disruption the parent will remove them so that others aren't disturbed. Not in this lifetime.

I tend to believe they would. So yes, in this lifetime you will see it. There are always exceptions to the rule but I would think the majority of parents would handle the situation.

I tend to believe they would. So yes, in this lifetime you will see it. There are always exceptions to the rule but I would think the majority of parents would handle the situation.

Sorry, but I am not so hopeful. The deterioriation of behavior among cruise passengers never ceases to amaze me. Everyone claims that they have the right to do as they wish because it is their vacation. Not too many are considerate of how their behavior impacts others around them. Thus, the pushing and shoving over junk at the sale tables, the cutting in lines, the crying baby disrupting the show, the kids running all over playing in the elevators and slamming doors late at night.

All of this plus RCI changes resulted in our taking a good hard look at whether or not we really want to cruise in January on RCI or take a land based vacation. We have until the end of the month to decide before the final payment is due.

After reading some very interesting post about approaching a parent and politely tell them that their child is doing some inappropriate behavior. Then expecting a politely response from the parent or guardian acknowledging your concern. I just wanted to scream, “NO, DON’T DO IT!!” What are you going to do when an upset parent looks at you and starts raising their voice and it escalates? You know what happens next-you’re off the ship.

I have spent over 25 years as a law enforcement officer in a large city in New York. I have been a patrol officer and a commanding officer. I have seen the worst that people can possibly do to each other, that is just unexplainable. As a police officer we always advised people don’t confront anyone you just don’t know how they are going to respond. If you see a child misbehaving in CL, you are better off telling the concierge, a staff officer or at least documenting the aggrieved incident on the end of cruise survey.

Some of the worst incidents that have happened to me personally were just advising a person their music was too loud, your dog was barking, and you child is misbehaving. I have been sent to the hospital for injuries for just telling someone nicely, somebody didn’t like what you were doing. I have investigated senseless crimes over someone just telling another person what you did offended me.

In today’s society people do not responded appropriately when confronted. Most believe they have rights to do whatever they want, at the expense of others. Just my opinion most will deny that their child did anything wrong-just personal observations and personal history. I give a hundred examples, bottom line it is just not worth it!!!!

As for children in the CL, I am a Diamond Plus and stay in suites. I think the decision by Royal to let children in the CL is wrong, but I am not going to let it ruin my cruises. I work hard and long and I will enjoy myself. I am not afraid to let those in charge now if something is making my cruise un-enjoyable!!!!

After reading some very interesting post about approaching a parent and politely tell them that their child is doing some inappropriate behavior. Then expecting a politely response from the parent or guardian acknowledging your concern. I just wanted to scream, “NO, DON’T DO IT!!” What are you going to do when an upset parent looks at you and starts raising their voice and it escalates? You know what happens next-you’re off the ship.

I have spent over 25 years as a law enforcement officer in a large city in New York. I have been a patrol officer and a commanding officer. I have seen the worst that people can possibly do to each other, that is just unexplainable. As a police officer we always advised people don’t confront anyone you just don’t know how they are going to respond. If you see a child misbehaving in CL, you are better off telling the concierge, a staff officer or at least documenting the aggrieved incident on the end of cruise survey.

Some of the worst incidents that have happened to me personally were just advising a person their music was too loud, your dog was barking, and you child is misbehaving. I have been sent to the hospital for injuries for just telling someone nicely, somebody didn’t like what you were doing. I have investigated senseless crimes over someone just telling another person what you did offended me.

In today’s society people do not responded appropriately when confronted. Most believe they have rights to do whatever they want, at the expense of others. Just my opinion most will deny that their child did anything wrong-just personal observations and personal history. I give a hundred examples, bottom line it is just not worth it!!!!

As for children in the CL, I am a Diamond Plus and stay in suites. I think the decision by Royal to let children in the CL is wrong, but I am not going to let it ruin my cruises. I work hard and long and I will enjoy myself. I am not afraid to let those in charge now if something is making my cruise un-enjoyable!!!!

Thank you,this is one of the best and most elightening posts I have ever read.I totallyagree,in particular the last paragraph. Society has changed (and not for the better) and the sooner we realize that and act accordingly, the better off we will all be.

Actually the majority won't, not anymore. Not in my experience. A lot of it is based on culturally acceptable standards of behavior, too. They differ among various populations of people.

I do take pity on the parent on a flight with no place to go and tending a crying baby. I don't want to be sitting near them, but I do feel sorry for the baby and parent both. And then I pop in my headphones and turn up the music really loud. :D

Gina

OK-I've got the solution for all!! RCCL-since we know you read here-this ones on me and I need no compenstion and you may take full credit!

This thread has proven society has changed.

Most parents can no longer parent children properly and cause havock and chaos wherever they go.

Some loyalty guests will enter a room wearing pins and spewing all of the cruises they have been on and try to outdo everyone in the room.

Some suite guest are snobs and look down on everyone to the point where they aggravate everyone.

Too many people-either loyalty or suite do not know what a complimentary drink option is and instead will set up camp befor the doors open, hog chairs, drink to excess and complain when its over scavanging the room for paper cups for one last swig to go.

Good lord why put these people all in one tiny room together.:eek: It's a war waiting to happen. Madness I tell you, crazy madness.

Close up all the lounges. Give drink vouchers to returning guests, give suite guests an in room bar set up and seperate these vultures from each other because society today has gone down the toilet!!!:p

Lighten up folks!! Enjoy your cruises!:D

OK-I've got the solution for all!! RCCL-since we know you read here-this ones on me and I need no compenstion and you may take full credit!

This thread has proven society has changed.

Most parents can no longer parent children properly and cause havock and chaos wherever they go.

Some loyalty guests will enter a room wearing pins and spewing all of the cruises they have been on and try to outdo everyone in the room.

Some suite guest are snobs and look down on everyone to the point where they aggravate everyone.

Too many people-either loyalty or suite do not know what a complimentary drink option is and instead will set up camp befor the doors open, hog chairs, drink to excess and complain when its over scavanging the room for paper cups for one last swig to go.

Good lord why put these people all in one tiny room together.:eek: It's a war waiting to happen. Madness I tell you, crazy madness.

Close up all the lounges. Give drink vouchers to returning guests, give suite guests an in room bar set up and seperate these vultures from each other because society today has gone down the toilet!!!:p

Lighten up folks!! Enjoy your cruises!:D

.....but isn't it more exciting watching (or reading) the Hatfields and McCoys go at it? All over some "free" drinks that some have paid for and others "EARNED"(quote):rolleyes::rolleyes:.

My sister just returned from the Allure.

At the table next to her the young child would lie down on the bench seat and have his feet on the table during each evening meal.

He dumped a plate of food on his mothers lap. Would take a bite of food and then spit it out on to the table. The idiot parents sat there and never reprimanded the child..never attempted to clean the food off the table and left it for the waitstaff.

I'm beginning think in this day and age the "exceptions" are those parents who actually know how to parent.:)

First let me say that our children and are grown and so we do not cruise with any young children.

We’ve been on MANY cruises and honestly rarely see children, who are with parents, behaving badly. This include the dining room, the pool areas, theater, etc. It amazes me that so many assume that every child (or any child) in the C lounge will misbehave.

I read some of the above posts and have never seen any children acting as described! I’ve never (ever – land or sea) seen a child spit food on a table.

M

At the table next to her the young child would lie down on the bench seat and have his feet on the table during each evening meal.

He dumped a plate of food on his mothers lap. Would take a bite of food and then spit it out on to the table. The idiot parents sat there and never reprimanded the child..never attempted to clean the food off the table and left it for the waitstaff.

I'm beginning think in this day and age the "exceptions" are those parents who actually know how to parent.:)

.....I guess what that brat needed was a good switchin' out back behind the out house....that will teach 'em.....Well in my days we walked both ways up hill to school in a blinding snow storm....er...oh yea...where were we?......

.....I guess what that brat needed was a good switchin' out back behind the out house....that will teach 'em.....Well in my days we walked both ways up hill to school in a blinding snow storm....er...oh yea...where were we?......

You could have just ridden your dinosaur instead of walking.:p

As a parent of a younger child, I would be perfectly fine if you spotted her grabbing foods with her bare hands and trying to put it back and corrected her. Some places are appropriate for using your hands to take food (if tongs are not provided for "finger goods") but otherwise they should be served or tongs used. I think worrying about parents reactions in general is overblown. There may be some self-centered or insecure parents out there who may get upset, but most would not mind their children being corrected when they do something wrong. So long as it is done politely.

The crying child, I would go through the concierge. Since the parent cannot just pick up their drink and leave (against policy), it should go through them to smooth the way.

Yes, I'm always friendly and polite, and non-confrontational. However, if parents sit and allow their small children to disturb other people around them, then they are not truly considerate, are they? Therefore, I'm not the least bit hesitant to tell them very nicely how much their child is disturbing me. Sometimes the more direct approach is needed with people. I want them to know where the request is coming from directly, and I don't want to jeopardize the Concierge in any way.

I had a similar experience in a restaurant two days ago. An older man had taken his chair over to the back exit door in this restaurant. He had an important call, obviously, and was sitting directly behind us on the other side of the back of our booth with a planter on the top. He thought he was having a private conversation, when in reality he was in an echo chamber. We couldn't hear ourselves talking across the small table, and I finally got up and told him his voice was echoing all over the restaurant. He apologized then and when he went to leave. I told him I just didn't want the whole restaurant to hear his private business. Nobody got mad; nobody was offended.

And may I ask (ever so politely:D), why was your sister so interested in what was happening at another table?

I am always surprised at what bothers people with regard to other tables. We usually are so engrossed with our table mates in conversation that I could scarcely tell you what the people at surrounding tables even looked like, let alone how they behaved.

Why can't people just enjoy their cruises and not be so interested/worried/upset about what others do?

And may I ask (ever so politely:D), why was your sister so interested in what was happening at another table?

I am always surprised at what bothers people with regard to other tables. We usually are so engrossed with our table mates in conversation that I could scarcely tell you what the people at surrounding tables even looked like, let alone how they behaved.

Why can't people just enjoy their cruises and not be so interested/worried/upset about what others do?

Perhaps it's because the behavior described is appalling for the dinner table, and seeing it dampens the enjoyment of having dinner. I would have talked to the head waiter about it. The child's behavior was pretty gross.

Archived