Kids in CL?

I'm shocked that some of you, as soon as you heard children were allowed in the CL just assumed they will be touching everything, spilling everything and running wild ALL the time. I've seen Adults, that park the rear ends down at 4;30 for a seat and do not leave until the bar is put away, become way too drunk and way too obnoxious! No one ever really talks about them. No one really ever talks about having the concierge throw them out and if they don't they won't tip!

My nephews will be in the lounge during our up and coming vacation and I swear, I think I may have to watch some Adults more then my nephews!!

Maybe no one talks about the adults because it was supposed to be an adult venue?:confused:

The Concierge should be watching the adults. Those with children should be the ones watching them.;)

Hey there Bakincakes - I loved the comments - you nailed it right on the head - some people should read the posts and check out the survey to see just how many adults do not want children in the lounge

A lot of joke telling etc. takes place and its definitely not the place for small children

Guess we'll all have to hit adventure ocean and join the kids during their venue - :)

I just love these comments by certain members who have been in a concierge lounge maybe once in their entire life come on here posting as concierge lounge experts. Hilarious.

We've been Diamond Plus for nearly four years now and have been in quite a few concierge lounges over the years and only once can I recall ever seeing an adult asked to leave for being obnoxious and intoxicated. It's usually a very civil environment.

I would hope that the majority of concierges would enforce the rules for both adults and children but I have my doubts since their livelihood is at stake. I think it's a shame the powers that be at RCL headquarters put the concierges in this situation. I really feel for them.

Perhaps it is different on the larger ships, but on the Freedom class ships we have sailed on, I have to say "cocktail hours" in the concierge lounge aren't the most exciting aspects of the cruise. On a couple of 10 day cruises, we have probably enjoyed a "free" Gin & Tonic on less than 5 or 6 occaissions.

I have always found it an awkward venue, with insufficient seating and a mild feeling of intrusion if you arrive late. Prior to, and post dinner, the place is virtually empty. IF RCL allowed "suite guests" a drink concession at any bar I doubt many adults would find the place particularly attractive either?

My children would be bored witless if we invited them to this venue. There may be a certain intrigue in knowing what the atrraction is, and I can well understand concierges having some discretion when it comes to allowing somebodies appropriately dressed and behaved teenager in the lounge to perhaps satisfy the curiosity, but I cannot envisage many being so entranced with the venue that they would ever want to give up all the other better venues and attractions.

The concierges themselves are worth their weight in gold. They have amazed my kids with some of the special treats and visits they have been kind enough to arrange for them. On our last cruise at the Captains reception, said captain was disappointed that our 8 year old (who he had heard so much about from the concierge,) was not present. We didn't think it was an appropriate venue to take him, which had caused some tears, but the captain insisted somebody was dispatched to bring him up from Adventure Ocean. Similarly the same child was amazed when the concierge printed out photos of him (from the security cameras) of his last two cruises.

Perhaps a compromise, would be a reduction in the age to allow more mature children to accompany their parents (I doubt many will!) or a "happy hour" concession that allows "Suite, D+" guests to utilize a similar drinks concession shipwide, whilst still offering the concierge lounge as is now being allowed.

I just love these comments by certain members who have been in a concierge lounge maybe once in their entire life come on here posting as concierge lounge experts. Hilarious.

We've been Diamond Plus for nearly four years now and have been in quite a few concierge lounges over the years and only once can I recall ever seeing an adult asked to leave for being obnoxious and intoxicated. It's usually a very civil environment.

I would hope that the majority of concierges would enforce the rules for both adults and children but I have my doubts since their livelihood is at stake. I think it's a shame the powers that be at RCL headquarters put the concierges in this situation. I really feel for them.

And what do you think will happen if the Concierges tell RCI they don't think this new policy is working?

Will RCI "punish" them for telling them how it really is?

Hey there Bakincakes - I loved the comments - you nailed it right on the head - some people should read the posts and check out the survey to see just how many adults do not want children in the lounge

A lot of joke telling etc. takes place and its definitely not the place for small children

Guess we'll all have to hit adventure ocean and join the kids during their venue - :)

I'm waiting for the inevitable confrontation between a parent and an adult CL guest who may be having a "blue" conversation within earshot of some kids.:eek:

It's quite possible this decision was made with the specific goal of driving the Diamond Plus members out of the lounge. I always felt it was just a matter of time before the D+ members would be kicked out anyway. I believe this will happen within the next year.

And what do you think will happen if the Concierges tell RCI they don't think this new policy is working?

Will RCI "punish" them for telling them how it really is?

From past experience, I'd say Royal has a reputation of treating their concierges pretty badly. Remember the 50% pay cut?

It is hilarious!! No one is an expert and no ones experience is less then the others. :)

What I find sad are the people who are posting about their first sailing in the lounge coming up and are already worried about children ruining the experience for them. These are people worried about something that because of a few child bashing posters here, have them worked up befor they even get in the door!!:(

I'm shocked that some of you, as soon as you heard children were allowed in the CL just assumed they will be touching everything, spilling everything and running wild ALL the time. I've seen Adults, that park the rear ends down at 4;30 for a seat and do not leave until the bar is put away, become way too drunk and way too obnoxious! No one ever really talks about them. No one really ever talks about having the concierge throw them out and if they don't they won't tip!

My nephews will be in the lounge during our up and coming vacation and I swear, I think I may have to watch some Adults more then my nephews!!

You make a good point. I'm hesitant to say this, but cruise after cruise, I have seen Diamond Plus members, adorned in their just-stepped-out-of-the-shower hairdo, and their finest t-shirts and pants that fit like loose bed sheets acting entitled, over indulging, and letting everyone else know how many cruises they have been on.

I'm not sure kids would be a downgrade to the atmosphere. At least they won't be trying to compete with others over how many cruises they've been on.

No offense to my fellow D+ friends. You all have seen it too and can't deny it. ;)

It is hilarious!! No one is an expert and no ones experience is less then the others. :)

What I find sad are the people who are posting about their first sailing in the lounge coming up and are already worried about children ruining the experience for them. These are people worried about something that because of a few child bashing posters here, have them worked up befor they even get in the door!!:(

Pax who have sailed after this was initiated have posted about "issues" with kids in the CL.

They are reporting what they have experienced. Hardly a case of "child bashing".:rolleyes:

It's quite possible this decision was made with the specific goal of driving the Diamond Plus members out of the lounge. I always felt it was just a matter of time before the D+ members would be kicked out anyway. I believe this will happen within the next year.

Boy the fur will be flying over that, if it happens.:eek:

Pax who have sailed after this was initiated have posted about "issues" with kids in the CL.

They are reporting what they have experienced. Hardly a case of "child bashing".:rolleyes:

Come on-there is alot of 'If I see this' or 'If I experience this' talk going on. Heck-some people are already writing and complaining to corporate and they have not even sailed since the darn change!!!:rolleyes:

Come on-there is alot of 'If I see this' or 'If I experience this' talk going on. Heck-some people are already writing and complaining to corporate and they have not even sailed since the darn change!!!:rolleyes:

As you said earlier, one doesn't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out what toddlers in the CL will do to the atmosphere and how the experience will be changed. The reports have already confirmed these fears. Like I tell my kids, you don't have to step in the crap yourself to know it stinks.!

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

And most of those posters who complained are arguing that the CL should remain an adult only area during the evening.

It doesn't mean they hate kids. It means that they want to relax and have a few drinks and socialize without kids around.

And some have already experienced what most feared. Crying kids..kids running in the lounge..kids spilling sodas in the lounge..taking food and then putting it back...they are reporting their experiences. Obviously other pax aren't looking forward to having the same kinds of experiences.

And most of those posters who complained are arguing that the CL should remain an adult only area during the evening.

It doesn't mean they hate kids. It means that they want to relax and have a few drinks and socialize without kids around.

And some have already experienced what most feared. Crying kids..kids running in the lounge..kids spilling sodas in the lounge..taking food and then putting it back...they are reporting their experiences. Obviously other pax aren't looking forward to having the same kinds of experiences.

Maybe I haven't followed this as closely after the initial run, but I have seen only like 2-3 posts from people complaining of kids, not exactly a huge sum of them. And seems like the last one had everyone of the complaints in it listed. Are there more or has this issue just been exagerated a bit?

You make a good point. I'm hesitant to say this, but cruise after cruise, I have seen Diamond Plus members, adorned in their just-stepped-out-of-the-shower hairdo, and their finest t-shirts and pants that fit like loose bed sheets acting entitled, over indulging, and letting everyone else know how many cruises they have been on.

I'm not sure kids would be a downgrade to the atmosphere. At least they won't be trying to compete with others over how many cruises they've been on.

No offense to my fellow D+ friends. You all have seen it too and can't deny it. ;)

Sorry, but I'm denying. I have met some of the neatest nicest folks in the lounges over the years. Occasional jerks exist in all crowds, I think you should clarify that.

As far as kids in the lounges, as long as they behave, I don't have a problem with it.

As you said earlier, one doesn't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out what toddlers in the CL will do to the atmosphere and how the experience will be changed. The reports have already confirmed these fears. Like I tell my kids, you don't have to step in the crap yourself to know it stinks.!

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

OMG, I have never heard that expression. I will have to remember that one.

Maybe I haven't followed this as closely after the initial run, but I have seen only like 2-3 posts from people complaining of kids, not exactly a huge sum of them. And seems like the last one had everyone of the complaints in it listed. Are there more or has this issue just been exagerated a bit?

The policy has just started. School has also started and I'm guessing that there aren't that many kids onboard lately.

I think it will get more interesting once the holidays get nearer and more kids will be onboard.

One of the first "reviews" I read was by Merion Mom who was doing a B2B at the time. The first leg was the old policy..the second the new and there were issues in the CL, with kids, during the second leg of her cruise.

I believe she is a teacher and is used to being around other peoples kids. Hardly someone who "hates" kids.:)

Just wait for the holiday cruises when the kids are out of school.

The policy has just started. School has also started and I'm guessing that there aren't that many kids onboard lately.

I think it will get more interesting once the holidays get nearer and more kids will be onboard.

One of the first "reviews" I read was by Merion Mom who was doing a B2B at the time. The first leg was the old policy..the second the new and there were issues in the CL, with kids, during the second leg of her cruise.

I believe she is a teacher and is used to being around other peoples kids. Hardly someone who "hates" kids.:)

True, this is the quieter time for kids to be out of school. Right now it's mainly those with just toddlers who may bring their kids in.

I just had not heard that many reviews with kids causing problems yet. Considering how many sailings there are if it was a widespread issue I would think we would have heard more by now. I find when change comes around, in most things not just in the CL lounge, people tend to exagerate the problems that are different from the past.

(Not sure where the "hate" kids part comes from as I had no reference to that, but assuming it is coming from other posts *grin*)

I agree. Why don't they just give all D+ members 2 free drinks per day, to be used anywhere (non-premium liquor, of course :p , and only LaTerre wine...) and just stop the madness?

Archived