How to pick B2B..

ampleiwb

Hello,

We are interested in doing a b2b caribbean cruise Jan 2012. I read on the boards that the Valor is going to switch from its current 7 day cruises to a 6/8 cycle. I checked that out on vacations to go dot com, and yup-it sure it! We would like to do something like this-stay on the same ship for 2 cruises, that do not go to the same exact ports two trips in a row. two 7 day trips is fine, so is 6/8 or 5/9 etc.

I am looking for advice on how to search for this type of set up. Ive been weeding thru, but I am hoping there is a specific way to search for this type of set up..other than just going ship by ship in the search boxes. Also-we are open to other cruise lines-basically looking for the lowest price in 2nd half of Jan/begin of Feb.

Thanks in advance for tips on searching, or suggestions on which ships are doing this sort of cycle. THANKS!!!

Be careful naming a TA on this site, as its against the rules. We can only speak in general terms of TAs.

Destiny does some short cruises if you want a shorter B2B. Even Conquest and some other ships alternate weeks doing eastern and westernt.

Try and narrow down what ports you want to see? What price range?

I would go to a TA site by port it leaves from, Miami, new Oreleans, whichever ports you are considering and check out the itineraries of the ships to decide.

We've done several B2B and you need to book noww if you don't want to have to change rooms...We just do an Eastern & western so you just have to search the itineraries and pick the one you want..There is no special way to search for a B2B...Just remember the shows on the second week will be the same ones the first week...We also buy booze the first week and I think they still deliver it to your cabin the last night of the first cruise so you can have it for the second week..Have a great time, we are doing a 5 & 7 starting next monday on the Triumph.....:)..Dennis

Blondie008,

Yes-what ship is that?

We are interested in doing more than 9 days..but 14/15 is our max right now bc of work. Also-I would like to keep it under $1000pp total base fare (before taxes).

I found one that is 5/5/4 on the Destiny. Can anyone think of a downside to 3 short cruises as opposed to 7/7 or 6/8?

Buy your booze in person after 4pm on the last day of the first cruise and take it back to the room with you. I read one review where on a B2B they held the booze until the last day of the second lag.

Waiting like that you take the chance of something you want to be sold out

I have found 3 that I am interested in...

Destiny 5/5/4 starting 1/23

Valor 6/8 starting 1/29

Freedom 6/8 starting 1/22

Each looks good..now I will do some research on those ships. Honestly I do not really care about having to switch rooms-if I am lucky enough to be on a b2b, it's all good. Ill try and get the same room, but either way Ill be happy.

I do hope we can buy alcohol on the last day of the first leg-that would be great! I am trying to plan this for my dh's 30th birthday, which will fall near the end of the trip-it would be nice to have a second bottle (cheaper than the intial one from bon voyage)

Can anyone think of a downside to doing 5/5/4 as opposed to 6/8?

The obvious downside to me is the extra day wasted in port for embarkation of the other guests. Also, you may get more repeats in three cruises than two (in terms of menus or contests). I don't know the itineraries but does the 5/5/4 repeat ports, compared to the 6/8?

Also, shorter cruises have a reputation for being more "party boats"; that could be an upside or downside depending on you.

We did a b2b last Feb/Mar on the Conquest--had booked the eastern itinerary several months in advance--about a week before our cruise the price for western itinerary, the week after, really came down in price, so we booked it. Didn't have the same cabin, but only had to move about 5 cabins down--it was really no biggie packing up for the move (but nicer if you can keep the same cabin)--the Cabin Steward moved everything for us--just took the hanging clothes out of closet & transferred to new cabin. They will make sure your new cabin is the first one cleaned--we went to breakfast came back & moved our stuff. It is so much fun being able to walk all over the ship & just watch the crew do the turn around. Once everyone is off the ship they will have all the b2bers meet in the lobby & someone will walk you through customs & immigration & walk you right back onto the ship.

These are the best cruises!! Try it, you will love it.

Do it! You'll love it! I've done the 2 different types - a 7/7 and a 5/4/5. The 7/7 was on the Valor with 2 different routes (Eastern and Western), and the 5/4/5 on the Imagination had 3 different routes - it was wonderful! I really enjoyed the 5/4/5, and would do it again, but it was different having a new table, tablemates and waiters every few days. Given the choice, I think I would do the 7/7 again - just seemed more consistent and we had a better time interacting with the crew on that one. But whichever you choose, you'll have a great time. And definitely hit up the duty-free shop on the first leg, like someone else mentioned. :)

Did my first b2b last February on the Destiny and LOVED IT - I think you definitely want to get the same cabin - part of the fun is just not having to pack anything up or do anything while those around you are shlepping those suitcases outside their cabins....and it's great fun having the whole ship to yourselves for a few hours.

You can check out my b2b Destiny review w/pics - see link below near my signature! Have fun :D

Did my first b2b last February on the Destiny and LOVED IT - I think you definitely want to get the same cabin - part of the fun is just not having to pack anything up or do anything while those around you are shlepping those suitcases outside their cabins....and it's great fun having the whole ship to yourselves for a few hours.

You can check out my b2b Destiny review w/pics - see link below near my signature! Have fun :D

When We did our B2B on the Liberty, we went out to the aft pool to lay out with a bucket of beer...They had shut down the computers and we could not buy a bucket as our new cards had not been activated..The bartender remembered me from the first cruise and gave me a bucket of beer and when the computers came back up she charged me for them..She got a nice tip...LOL...Dennis

Oh and to answer the question about the 5/5/4 repeating itself-it really doesn't. It seems odd, but im guessing its just a time where they switch courses. It goes to grand cayman twice, but thats all. Its the destiny 1/23-2/6

We did a b2b on the Glory in 2008 and loved it. One we have considered is the Victory. It does repeat its itinerary, but it is so port intensive that you could easily just do half the ports on each half. We have only ruled it out because of air to San Juan.

I would pick either Valor or Freedom simply because they are newer ships.

Destiny does not have as many food options (if memory serves) and it also does not have a Steakhouse.

Hello,

We are interested in doing a b2b caribbean cruise Jan 2012. I read on the boards that the Valor is going to switch from its current 7 day cruises to a 6/8 cycle. I checked that out on vacations to go dot com, and yup-it sure it! We would like to do something like this-stay on the same ship for 2 cruises, that do not go to the same exact ports two trips in a row. two 7 day trips is fine, so is 6/8 or 5/9 etc.

I am looking for advice on how to search for this type of set up. Ive been weeding thru, but I am hoping there is a specific way to search for this type of set up..other than just going ship by ship in the search boxes. Also-we are open to other cruise lines-basically looking for the lowest price in 2nd half of Jan/begin of Feb.

Thanks in advance for tips on searching, or suggestions on which ships are doing this sort of cycle. THANKS!!!

We like to do B2B on different ships (so technically not B2B) where we cruise, debark, get on another ship and head out again. Sometimes we'll have a night between sailings to spend in the home port, which is nice too. I just like being able to see a couple different ships, or even different lines, in the same vacation. It works for us, as we don't mind packing up out stuff and getting off and on the ships.

We did a B2B on the Elation this summer and loved it. Ready to be home after 9 onboard (10 days gone). It was nice because I made sure that I could park my car at the hotel for the whole time.

We had to switch cabins but same cabin steward. We also switched dining rooms even though our cabins were just two doors down from each other. It was amazing the difference in service between the two. And the other one was NOT the main dining room, which was better. I have a severe food allergy, even went to dining room first day at 1:00 to make sure it was noted. It was completely ignored. 2nd night they asked at the table for someone else (Dorothy) then they said "does someone have a food allergy" - and i was told to just avoid the desserts... Wrong. I was so sick the last night. I guess it was in the pave potatoes (eggs).

The secondary dining room was so attentive and followed the procedures that were explained to me would happen.

We didn't mind repeating the same port. It was nice to be able to do either choose something different or just enjoy the ship with fewer people onboard. It's nice also to be able to enjoy one thing that you wanted to do the first time but couldn't do because of conflicts with another activity.

It was interesting to compare what was dropped from a 5 day on a 4 day. The crowd was defintely different on a 4 compared to 5. 4 day and 3 day tend to be more of a party weekend crowd. You also then compare your tablemates from first time to second time. People find it hard to belive you have been on already.

We were the only B2B on our sailing. We enjoyed the Library to ourselves then went to our cabin once we'd eatten something. We didn't care that it was only 12:00. We knew no one would say anything. The Elation tends to be half 1st time sailers so there are lots of people that tended to ask me questions.

I found the CD to be a jerk - he griped about how he has to cater to all the John Heald requests made on Facebook. He didn't even know that passengers could read John Heald's blog for free at the computer terminals. (I had told him that I had replied while onboard about the awesome pizza when John had ask a quesion about pizza) I know other's have commented that they have gotten a complimentary treat on their B2B but we didn't.

I did feel as though we should have at least been acknowledged in someway (since we were the only 2 except for the captain's wife!) - even it had been someone coming up to us at dinner and saying thank you for choosing the Elation for a two cruises. - I guess disappointed is the appropriate feeling. Strangely, no one seemed to notice except for cabin steward we were repeaters - but we were treated better second sailing. I felt as if it might be because we had a higher level cabin - and i put that in our surveys. The front desk was more attentive, there was just a different "air" about how they treated me. You know how you feel when someone acts differently when they realize who you are. Just a subtle difference.

Any way - we choose our B2B based on cost. Port was driveable so could afford B2B. Next time might choose the 5 and 5 to replace the 4.

Not that any ship is a bad ship but the Destiny is my least favorite ship. We have done a number of b2b on different ships and always had the same room ......and loved it....everyone else is packing to go home, bags out by the door before 12pm the night before and we just get to chill! Love B2B. I like the mon-Fri and then Fri - Mon. Durring the week it is total chill, much more relaxed and when that weekend crowd boards on

Friday.......look out ...the party begins!! LOL Completly different vibe on the weekend cruises! :)

Be careful naming a TA on this site, as its against the rules. We can only speak in general terms of TAs.

Destiny does some short cruises if you want a shorter B2B. Even Conquest and some other ships alternate weeks doing eastern and westernt.

Try and narrow down what ports you want to see? What price range?

I would go to a TA site by port it leaves from, Miami, new Oreleans, whichever ports you are considering and check out the itineraries of the ships to decide.

Were you a TA?

Archived