Holland America or Carnival?

cow-collector

We have been on one cruise - Holland America - and loved it! Are hoping to join our twenty-something kids and their spouses on a Caribbean cruise in late winter. Trying to decide whether to book Holland America again (Eurodam, probably) or try Carnival (Glory, probably). Anyone have experience with both? The kids are not really party-ers and probably won't join in any of the group activities (maybe a pub crawl). :rolleyes:

If the kids are not party-ers then you may want to stay with HAL. You know best if your kids and their spouses would like HAL. If they would I would just do that. Carnival can get on the wilder side. I would have recommended other lines to consider including Royal Caribbean.

Keith

I agree with Keith. Carnival is a bit wilder and has the "party" atmosphere where HAL is a bit more refined. I have been on the Eurodam in early Dec. and also the Carnival Liberty and Freedom in late winter.

Love the better service on HAL. I did enjoy the on ship pub crawl they did so there are opportunities to have fun...just don't expect to see a hairy chest contest or the like on HAL.

Go on the Holland board and you'll get more responses from those who have sailed on both HAL and Carnival.

PS...I'm in my late 40s.

Totally different cruise lines in terms of ship decor, cuisine, atmosphere, etc. We have been on a few Carnival cruises and enjoyed the experience. We are 3* with HA (will soon be 4*) and love the line. If you go on Carnival with an open mind you might be pleasantly surprised. The problem comparing the lines are that the various HA ships vary so you need to compare ships more then the lines. For example, we think the cuisine and service on the Prinsendam are excellent but our recent experience on the Rotterdam was fair (at best). Most of the Carnival ships have a very glitzy decor which is kind of fun when compared to the more reserved HA ships. Carnival also has some real night life (folks are actually awake after mid-night) and you can pretty much eat around the clock. We have not been on the Eurodam so really cannot give you a ship by ship comparison.

Hank

Been on both, prefer HAL but the Carnival cruise we did wasn't rowdy, more younger couples but not party, party types. I wouldn't hesitate to cruise Carnival again if the dates/ports were right. There are quieter pools and bars too.

I've been on both lines and the comparisons are that HAL has an older cliental, refined service, better food. On CCL there are more activities and the entertainment at night is much better. I personally like HAL better and I'm in my early 50s.

Normally, if twenty-somethings were involved, I would say avoid Holland America like the plague. I'm 62, I fit right in on Carnival if I avoid school breaks, but I always felt far too young for HAL. But since you've been on HAL and think your kids will be happy, then stick with HAL. I don't think you're looking for a 24-hour pizzeria, so I'd rate HAL food and service as slightly better overall.

Love HAL, going to choose between HAL and Carnival for Caribbean and wonder :eek:

If it was me, HAL/Princess, not that I don't like Carnival, sailed them before and would sail them again, given a choice even with extra dollars would pick a few others before Carnival, but Carnival is better than no cruise at all :D

Both lines are owned by the same parent company. HAL is marketed by the parent as upscale while Carnival is marketed at least one star lower. The differences however may not be accepted by some depending on personal preferences. Under your circumstances HAL would be better IMO.

Between over 500 obnoxious kids/teens/and their parents with no manners, being nickeled and dimed to death for every thing, reading and hearing hard sell tactics daily, not particularly healthy food(hello fruits and veges other than main dining room at night?)and 30-40+ minute waits to reboard the ship because everyone came back to the shup form excursions or what have you at the 30 minute cut off from allegedly sailing (no chance try 45 minutes late and sometimes more or less)...you could not pay me to put up woith that again.People taking drinks and cigars or cigarettes to jacuzzis with no consideration for non smokers was it for me.

Normally, if twenty-somethings were involved, I would say avoid Holland America like the plague. I'm 62, I fit right in on Carnival if I avoid school breaks, but I always felt far too young for HAL. But since you've been on HAL and think your kids will be happy, then stick with HAL. I don't think you're looking for a 24-hour pizzeria, so I'd rate HAL food and service as slightly better overall.

I've enjoyed all my Carnival cruises. I'm 46 and usually cruise with my mom who is 74. She loves her Carnival cruises too. Like you, I don't cruise or take any type of vacation during a school holiday. I am currently considering HAL for a Panama Canal cruise, because I like the particular itinerary.

I would choose Carnival, but regardless of which you choose make sure Half Moon Cay is one of your stops!!!! Myself and EVERYONE I have spoken with who have been there agree it is the most amazing place on earth.

I love carnival I am 39. We do avoid spring break, but we used to live in Panama City, FL and avoided it then too. Carnival has tons of activities no one in your party would get board. You can have family time and everyone could do things they like to do as well.

Just my opinion. Hope it helps

P.J.

I would pick the two ships that you are thinking about and compare them specifically. Both lines have a variety of ships that have different features.

I think what may matter the most is the entertainment. Carnival will have more lounges and comedy shows in the evening. If the young kids only care for younger types of music then they will be happier on the CCL cruise.

Based on which two ships you compare the rest may be very similar. If you compare an older smaller ship to a newer larger one on either line there will be bigger differences.

• 4 months later...

Thanks for all the input. After doing a ton of research, we ended up booking on the Eurodam. Our own first cruise was on the Noordam and was such a great experience that hubby was more comfortable with what we were already familiar with. Our kids will appreciate the upscale atmosphere and are most excited about the ports anyway. Just over a month away and we can't wait!!!:p

Archived