best cruise line for singles, least single supplement, best value?

blaze14

...which lines have the best value or least supplements for single travelers?

In my opinion "best value" is subjective and focusing on the "least supplement" won't necessarily get you there. And not all single/solo cruisers are looking for the same thing. I like NCL because there is never a problem eating alone. But other solos hate NCL for the very same reason.

As a frequent solo traveler, I don't worry about the supplement PERCENTAGE anymore. Instead, I set a daily rate that I am willing to pay (usually $200/day) and shop for cruises within that budget. The most recent one I booked is about $140/day (an outside on NCL) - but I wouldn't have found it if I was rejecting everything with a 200% supplement.

In my opinion "best value" is subjective and focusing on the "least supplement" won't necessarily get you there. And not all single/solo cruisers are looking for the same thing. I like NCL because there is never a problem eating alone. But other solos hate NCL for the very same reason.

As a frequent solo traveler, I don't worry about the supplement PERCENTAGE anymore. Instead, I set a daily rate that I am willing to pay (usually $200/day) and shop for cruises within that budget. The most recent one I booked is about $140/day (an outside on NCL) - but I wouldn't have found it if I was rejecting everything with a 200% supplement.

Do you book months in advance or do you leave it till the last minute?

If you leave it to the last minute do you get a better rate? eg if i see a cruise i like departing tomorrow can i book that or do you have to give them some notice?

Do you book months in advance or do you leave it till the last minute?

I usually book within less than 30 days of the departure. That way I can pick up on last minute discounts - but of course there is no guarantee that anything will be available. You have to be flexible and willing to make quick decisions. :-)

I usually book within less than 30 days of the departure. That way I can pick up on last minute discounts - but of course there is no guarantee that anything will be available. You have to be flexible and willing to make quick decisions. :-)

Thanks i think i will try that next year. Fingers crossed

• 3 months later...

The best value for solo cruisers has got to be the MSC cruise line in my opinion. If you are prepared to go out-of-season i.e. outside April-August they do some amazing deals where they offer 0% single supplement.

I just went on an 11 day Med cruise on my own and paid £499 for a double cabin with balcony! As this was a cruise only price had to arrange my own air fares from LGW to Genoa but the return fare was just £114. You should try and get a drinks package as prices onboard can be high and I'd recommend the Cheers Package at £16 per day for free wine/beer/soft drinks lunch and dinner times.

The MSC ships which sail from Italy are superb and if you can accept that English people will normally be in a minority I'm sure you'll love the experience.

Trev ;)

I booked 7 days ahead of time for an explorer of the seas cruise at the end of October and it was $830 (which included taxes and fees) for a 9 day cruise. I applied the $200 deposit we put down when my late husband and I cruised in November, 2009 and then I used some stored up membership rewards points which brought everything down to $387.78. I also received a $100 OBC which went towards my bar bill.

For comparative purposes, the same cruise booked that day would have cost TWO people $100 less than what I paid so I only had to pay a $100 supplement so to speak if that makes sense.

I only travel in suites and feel that the MSC Yatch Club is the best option of singles in this category. It only has a 50% single supplement durring some months (June being one of them :D).

So essentially a seven night cruise will set you back 2999 EUR and having experienced YC in September it is well worth it. Art deco styled, walnut panneld suites (no cabins, just suites) with jacuzzi baths, Egyptian cotton linens, 42 inch flat screens, butler, drinks included - champagne at dinner and a bottle chilled in your suite on yoru arrival with chocolate covered strawberries, private swimming pool and jacuzzis, private restaurant, private sun deck, priority boarding and embarkation (your butler sees you off and welcomes you back) etc......it was truely a fantastic experience.

I did a spread sheet analysis of the NCL Epic cabins. While some people enjoy the dedicated lounge and don't mind interior cabins, I found that the studios, at 100 sq. ft., are not much less than paying 200% for a standard, larger inside cabin. I just don't think NCL is being honest when they say there's "no single supplement" on the studios.

I did a spread sheet analysis of the NCL Epic cabins. While some people enjoy the dedicated lounge and don't mind interior cabins, I found that the studios, at 100 sq. ft., are not much less than paying 200% for a standard, larger inside cabin. I just don't think NCL is being honest when they say there's "no single supplement" on the studios.

The studios are no bargain, to be sure. My first two nights on the Epic, I ate early because I had booked early shows. I asked the maitre'd to sit me with other passengers. I was told most passengers preferred to dine with their party and not have others join them. So, for two nights, I dined alone and hated it. Then, I "happened" upon the nightly happy hour in the studio lounge, and met many wonderful solo guests and never dined alone again. When we met at H2O or other parts of the ship, we were like long lost friends. And though the cabins are small, we all agreed they were cozy and "home." One b2b solo was offered an upgrade to a balcony and refused because she liked the studio. And the studios have a dedicated cruise director who organized a solo dinner with abundant wine [though I heard wine is no longer the practice] and it was just nice, like we were an exclusive club. So, a spreadsheet analysis doesn't factor the extras in.............I cannot imagine traveling solo any other way. Second Epic cruise in February.

Although each line has fans, which lines have the best value or least supplements for single travelers? (cunnard for example charges double the regular rate, which doesn't seem like a good value)

Hi,:) what is a good value to one person might be totally different

to another person. I do pay double most of the time but I love the

line so I pay the price. I sail regularly with Celebrity and I love the

product they provide me. I look at the total price of each cruise,

not at the SS because I know the supplement is always there.

Everyone has to do what is best for themselves.

You posted this thread about 3 months ago. Did you go on a cruise?

Did you find something you like?

The studios are no bargain, to be sure. My first two nights on the Epic, I ate early because I had booked early shows. I asked the maitre'd to sit me with other passengers. I was told most passengers preferred to dine with their party and not have others join them. So, for two nights, I dined alone and hated it. Then, I "happened" upon the nightly happy hour in the studio lounge, and met many wonderful solo guests and never dined alone again. When we met at H2O or other parts of the ship, we were like long lost friends. And though the cabins are small, we all agreed they were cozy and "home." One b2b solo was offered an upgrade to a balcony and refused because she liked the studio. And the studios have a dedicated cruise director who organized a solo dinner with abundant wine [though I heard wine is no longer the practice] and it was just nice, like we were an exclusive club. So, a spreadsheet analysis doesn't factor the extras in.............I cannot imagine traveling solo any other way. Second Epic cruise in February.

Great to hear that! I just got back today and had a much more positive overall experience than my previous cruise. From reading other forums I was sure to book my shows for later; the ones I did earlier were standby later in the week with other solo quests.

Great to hear that! I just got back today and had a much more positive overall experience than my previous cruise. From reading other forums I was sure to book my shows for later; the ones I did earlier were standby later in the week with other solo quests.

Howard, was this your second Epic adventure or second NCL cruise? Did you get to any of the specialty restaurants? The solos I met were hesitant to dine in the specialty restaurants, but we finally went to le Bistro on Thursday. Everyone agreed the food was far superior and we would have returned Friday night, but I think that was when the solo cruise director took us to dinner. Any changes I should know? Was Slam Allen in the Fat Cats lounge?

Hello, it was my first time on the Epic, and my second time on NCL, I went on the Jewel last year.

Slam Allen is still there; I got up and played the piano and organ with them on 2 nights. They are very gracious and a lot of people on the ship played/sang.

There is no longer the 2 for 1 happy hour- Also, we went to dinner with the solo director but they did not take us (we did the buffet)

I loved it. Had a few things I posted in my review but it met and even exceeded my expectations.

As you mentioned, being in a group as well, we did Taste nights 1-2, the Manhattan Room night 3, night 4 I did LaCucina (better on the Jewel, the menu seemed to have changed) night 5 buffett, day 6 I did Teppanyaki for lunch, night 6 Circe De Sol and night 7 Shanghai.

I am planning on the breakaway but am somewhat hesistant with only 64 studios;

I don't worry too much about the supplement. What it costs is what it costs.

I am right now (using my cell phone and bluetooth to my laptop) returning from my fifth solo cruise (the Cunard was with my late mother, and we did not share a cabin). I don't think I could take a 100 square foot cabin. I find most cruise cabins fairly confining and can't even imagine how four people squeeze in them. I don't think I'm a candidate for one of them.

I tend to eat in the Lido so the issue of dining room really isn't for me.

That being said on most cruises I seem to be a square peg in a round hole as a single.

• 3 weeks later...

I too have felt like I would be a square peg in a round hole, but would love to take a cruise on my own. It encourages me that there is a thread for solo cruisers, indicating it is a positive experience and more acceptable now. My late husband and I loved cruising and I really don't want to give it up, but at this point would rather go solo, than with a pal. Anyone ever solo on Carnival?

Sue, since you are in Alabama and I assume not terribly far from Florida, I would encourage you to consider the Epic.

When I went on the NCL Jewel- I felt like a triangle in a round hole- it was very difficult meeting people, and to be honest it was a waste of time and money. I realized I should have just flown to Miami and gotten on the Epic.

After going on the Epic, it worked. Met people from the regular forums, solo gatherings, etc... I would do it again and am booked in a studio on the Breakaway.. I feel as though the Epic did a nice job of creating options.

:p

I too have felt like I would be a square peg in a round hole, but would love to take a cruise on my own. It encourages me that there is a thread for solo cruisers, indicating it is a positive experience and more acceptable now. My late husband and I loved cruising and I really don't want to give it up, but at this point would rather go solo, than with a pal. Anyone ever solo on Carnival?

I have cruised solo on Carnival 11 times and Holland America once. I was fortunate to get the 'single supplement' rate before they stopped doing it. I'm very outgoing and friendly so never had any problem meeting or dining with people. It was always my choice.

The only 'bad' time that I had as a solo was when I cruised over the Thanksgiving holiday. When I picked up my room key, the table in the MDR was 999. Of course, I know that there aren't any 999 tables. So, I went to ask the maitre'd what was up. He said he had been 'waiting for me'. He said he didn't have anywhere to seat me because there were only 10 singles on the ship and they were all already booked at one table for dinner. I said, well just put me anywhere. He wouldn't because he said since there were so many families on the ship, it might be awkward for me to sit with strangers/and vice versa for dinner. So, I left and came back later and by then, one of the singles had transferred to another table so there was a spot for me. I was SOOOO excited!

So, I go back to my cabin, get all dressed up and then show up at the table for 10. To my surprise, there were 4 of the homliest looking guys at the table that I had ever seen. The other 5 people never showed up so it was just me and them. While I had a good time, I never went back to dinner. It was just too weird for me. They were all like drooling like they had never seen a woman up close before ... it was kinda funny.

Other than trying to dodge one of them the rest of the week, I had a GREAT time on the cruise.

I love the freedom that it gives me ... to come and go as I please.

Archived