Think we just ruined our cruise!

huneymoonerz

Is this a possibility for the OP?

When we sailed a few years ago on the Imagination, my mother in law flew down from NC to sail with us. Sure enough, she left her passport back home. We frantically called Carnival to see if there would be any way she could get on without the passport, and to our surprise, they told us to go to the port and bring whatever form of ID's she could provide. She would be required to sign some sort of forms (don't ask, I have no clue what form it was), and she would be allowed to sail. This was for a Key West & Cozumel sailing.

I know there are plenty of horror stories of denied boarding because of improper documentation, but, is there a possibility that the OP will be allowed to sail, specially because of the itinerary? I'm thinking that the rules might be a bit more relaxed on an Ensenada/Catalina itinerary than for other itineraries...?

Trying to stay positive for the OP...

Right after the Loma Prieta earthquake in '89 I put a $1,000 savings bond somewhere safe so that no one would find it in case we had raiding. I thought it was in a book, but 22 years and two moves later, I still can't find it :mad:. Suggestions are welcome!

A US Savings Bond can be replaced if lost or stolen. The key is figuring out whose social security number it was associated with-- it could be the person in whose name the bond is, or it could be the purchaser of the bond.

Here's the site to get the form: http://www.treasurydirect.gov/NC/FoRMSHome?FormType=SBF&site=indiv

When we sailed a few years ago on the Imagination, my mother in law flew down from NC to sail with us. Sure enough, she left her passport back home. We frantically called Carnival to see if there would be any way she could get on without the passport, and to our surprise, they told us to go to the port and bring whatever form of ID's she could provide. She would be required to sign some sort of forms (don't ask, I have no clue what form it was), and she would be allowed to sail. This was for a Key West & Cozumel sailing.

I know there are plenty of horror stories of denied boarding because of improper documentation, but, is there a possibility that the OP will be allowed to sail, specially because of the itinerary? I'm thinking that the rules might be a bit more relaxed on an Ensenada/Catalina itinerary than for other itineraries...?

I think the key here is "several years ago." I remember reading of that form where you had to swear you were an american citizen and that was good enough. Hopefully, that's not the case anymore.

Not sure if this was pre or post 9/11 but a lot of things have changed since then.

Didn't get the age of your child, but I know my kids' school have a copy of their bc's and I would not hesitate to call the teacher and beg for help getting it out of the file for a week, Also, agree w/others about sport teams and other activities that I may have had to produce a bc. I coached tball and cheerleading for several years and always had copies of bc's. Sometimes for tournaments in baseball I would have certified copies. I would exhause every avenue and call everyone that I thought might have one before giving up.

Not sure if this was pre or post 9/11 but a lot of things have changed since then.

That was back in 2008, so, yes probably rules have changed since then ...:(

Just a thought.....I think someone mentioned earlier if they don't get the BC for the sailing on Monday then they can join the ship in Catalina at the first port. By doing that, wouldn't that make it no longer a closed loop cruise and the BC wouldn't be able to be used anyways??? Would that be the same as departing and returning from two different US ports and would then need to have to go to a distant foreign port as stated by the PVSA??? I may be wrong, but just a thought.....

Here's a bit of an update...

Spoke to Carnival and they gave their typical response (aka no such luck). We will lose our $$.

We can board the boat in Catalina on Tuesday so all is not lost. It is a big cost to get to Catalina with our stuff so here's that plan.

Plan #1

Go to embark on Monday. Check luggage. Probably get turned away. Get BC Tuesday AM. Join cruise on Tuesday in Catalina.

Plan #2

I emailed the Dept of Vital Statistics in my area and begged for help. I don't know if they are going to read emails over a 3-day weekend (or at all). Maybe they'll swing something for us?

Plan #3

Am calling DH's grandmother tomorrow. She used to work for the state department. Maybe she can give some advice or give us another # to call.

Oh how horrible for you guys. This may be a long shot, but I have found things this way. Have you tried physically unfolding each and every piece of paper in the drawer? I found DD's BC that way. It had gotten folded in with something else (not even a BC lol)

Can you re-schedule your cruise for the very next one (I'm a newb, so that may not even be possible)

a few years ago, my husband and i went on a cruise (ncl though) and when we got to the port we realized that my husband's bc was not with mine. They weren't letting him on no matter what. We thought that it may be in our luggage that was already on the ship so I went on the ship and he ran home (we live only 30 minutes away) to check where the papers should have been...long story short, by the time the luggage was delivered we were sailing and his bc wasn't in there anyway...

i sailed alone that weekend....thank goodness it was only a weekend cruise.

We found the bc in a bag of clothes to be donated to Goodwill... i still have no idea how THAT happened.

Now we have passports just in case...a rep for the cruiseline said that if he had a passport, we could have had the passport office fax them something.

Good Luck to OP i sure hope they find it before tomorrow...and I think I'll go make sure I can find our family's passports for our October cruise...

...insurance wouldn't have done any good anyway. Trip insurance won't cover a traveler's lack of required documentation. Hope you find your docs.

actually, read the fine print. Several insurance policies will cover your travel expenses if you are unable to travel if documents are lost or stolen. I'm sure the insurance will need some sort of proof that the documents were lost, but it's definitely an available coverage.

I have one more idea that may or may not help.

Do you have a copy? Not a certified one, but a regular copy. Do you have a friend who is a notary?

The only thing that makes the certified copy is that it is stamped by a notary. If you and your husband swear that this is your child....or if the notary already knows you....get the stamp on the copy. Carnival is not going to examine it!

I have one more idea that may or may not help.

Do you have a copy? Not a certified one, but a regular copy. Do you have a friend who is a notary?

The only thing that makes the certified copy is that it is stamped by a notary. If you and your husband swear that this is your child....or if the notary already knows you....get the stamp on the copy. Carnival is not going to examine it!

NO!!!!!!! It is not a notary who certifies birth certificates. In fact notaries can only confirm signatures as being real. A birth certificate is certified by a registrar stating that it is "a true and correct copy of the record in my custody". How can a notary know that it is a true a correct copy - let alone attest to the copy being in his/her custody? They can't. Furthermore every notary should know that is illegal to do that to birth or death certificates. Furthermore, there are places that can confiscate such "notarized copies" and submit it the State to have the notaries commission pulled.

NO!!!!!!! It is not a notary who certifies birth certificates. In fact notaries can only confirm signatures as being real. A birth certificate is certified by a registrar stating that it is "a true and correct copy of the record in my custody". How can a notary know that it is a true a correct copy - let alone attest to the copy being in his/her custody? They can't. Furthermore every notary should know that is illegal to do that to birth or death certificates. Furthermore, there are places that can confiscate such "notarized copies" and submit it the State to have the notaries commission pulled.

I agree, doubtful any notary would even consider it. If one would it might get past Carnival, but doubt the ICE agents would let it slide....not the way I would want to end a cruise.

I just booked my first carnival cruise this weekend (third cruise total....so we are still kind of new at this) I decided to read the boards last night and have been rooting for them ever since! I was hoping they had been found when I got off of work this afternoon. The OP totally reminded me to make sure we have our docs ready to go even though our trip is not until December. For that I thank you and I hope it turns up!!!!! fingers crossed......

I didn't post that to get flamed......and I am a Notary.

Wasn't flaming but oh my - you should know the rules then.

http://www.sos.state.tx.us/statdoc/edinfo.shtml#Unauthorized

10. May I Make a Certified Copy of a Birth Certificate or a Marriage License:

No. Birth certificates and marriage licenses are recordable documents. A recordable document is one that is recorded with some type of entity whether it be the Secretary of State's Office, a court of law, a county clerk, or the Bureau of Vital Statistics. Certified copies may be obtained by contacting such entities.

A non-recordable document is one that has not been nor will ever be recorded with any type of entity. For instance, a letter is not recorded with anyone but there are times the sender of the letter would like to obtain a certified copy of that letter for his or her file.

Original OP here...

Here's bg... and below is an update.

DH and I live in SoCal. My folks are in NY. His are in Missouri. We have no family here. Our friends either have babies or are single. We don't have anyone local to leave the kids with aside from a teen babysitter. Any of our friends would watch them in an emergency but not for a vacation.

We are desperate for a break. The kids are 3 and 1. Very active. While looking for a 40th bday cruise the end of next year I found this Mexican cruise. Only $800 total for all 4 of us. We'd pay for late night babysitting and finally have a break! We booked last minute. Everything seemed fine. I could have sworn I had DD's BC with DS's and DH/my passports.

Here's an update... not looking good. Still no sign of BC.

DH got DD's hospital record today. OMG are they kidding? It was just typed on letterhead. Looks like we stole some letterhead and did it ourselves. Not stamped or anything. Hand-signed.

Put in a call to DH's grandmother who just retired from the State Dept. She told me DD won't get on the ship, no way, no how. More crying from me!

I called Carnival. They are very nice but it's not their problem.

Posted to John Heald's page and he said to contact him and he'll try to help!

Plan remains the same...

Tomorrow 8am. Go down to the BC office. They are supposed to be closed but other offices there will be open. I am going to cry/embarrass myself there and see if someone will take pity on me. The kids will be with me (DH has to work in the AM) so hopefully they'll look all sad.

If this doesn't work or they aren't there we need to go straight to the port and talk to immigration/customs.

I'd say for you guys to learn from my stupid mistake but honestly, the people on here are planners. This really was a fluke. I made a very long checklist for this cruise and this got through the cracks.

Dreams I had last night:

-Tried to sweet talk DD onto the boat with a mean customs agent

-Tried to ride a tricycle (in the water) in front of the Paradise and outrun it.

-DD tore open our cruise mattress and Cheerios poured out.

- I was only allowed to go on the cruise via Skype.

I have to go. The house is a hot mess from the searching and now have to redo my packing list since I tore apart the suitcases too.

I'll update tomorrow from the office and the port. Thank you for all of the support.

You've searched everywhere, but have you searched the kids' rooms? They have a way, especially at that young age, of walkng off with things. Look on top of the fridge also. And check their baby scrapbooks if you have one. Good luck! I said the St. Anthony prayer for you too.

Archived