Think we just ruined our cruise!

huneymoonerz

We are going to call the BC office in the AM. Maybe someone will check messages there.

I assume the BC office also issues death certificates? If so, try calling a local mortuary - funeral director's have connections - because not everyone passes Monday through Friday 8-5 - and sometimes emergency final disposition permits have to be issued. I don't know if your state requires the disposition permit to be issued from the local registar's office or not, but it is worth a shot.

Any chance your DD could go to a trusted friend or relative on Monday, you and the rest of the family depart on schedule, then said friend or relative can get DD's BC in a rush on Tuesday morning, then take her to airport to fly her out to meet you at the next port? Not knowing how old she is, where your cruise is, or the length of the cruise (to determine whether it's worth it or not) I'm just offering a suggestion... this might not be feasible at all. Hope you find it before Monday and all this stress is for naught. :)

That's a good idea if worst comes to worst. OP you saw it when you got your husband's passport out? You will find it. Just calmly and slowly go room to room in the house and look at every single thing.

And a little Tony, Tony look around can't hurt!

I'm so sad for you! Please post back and let us know how your search is going and if the birth certificate office answered your message.

Similar situation with our passports. They always were in this certain place, so the night before the cruise, I went to get them...not there. OMG! Leaving in the morning and no passports! Looked and looked and looked. Then I stopped, calmed down, and started again. I found them! In the kitchen cabinet where miscellaneous things are kept. I have no idea why or how they got there. But I found them. After that, I make sure they go into the file in the fire cabinet EVERY time....immediately when we get home.

Again, I'm sorry you are having this trouble finding the bc.

Kathy

Sit down for a few minutes and try to clear your mind of your panic. Close your eyes. Breathe deeply. Relax. Relax. Now, while relaxing, take your mind back to the last time you saw your dd birth certificate. Did you take it to the Bank for safe keeping? Did you scan it for a photo album? Did you use it for something special like a Christening. See if you can focus on the very last time you saw or used it..

Best wishes.

Here's a bit of an update...

Spoke to Carnival and they gave their typical response (aka no such luck). We will lose our $$.

We can board the boat in Catalina on Tuesday so all is not lost. It is a big cost to get to Catalina with our stuff so here's that plan.

Plan #1

Go to embark on Monday. Check luggage. Probably get turned away. Get BC Tuesday AM. Join cruise on Tuesday in Catalina.

Plan #2

I emailed the Dept of Vital Statistics in my area and begged for help. I don't know if they are going to read emails over a 3-day weekend (or at all). Maybe they'll swing something for us?

Plan #3

Am calling DH's grandmother tomorrow. She used to work for the state department. Maybe she can give some advice or give us another # to call.

I don't know how old you DD is but I have found two things help me find stuff i have lost. And I lose stuff all the time.

First, pull the drawer right out, I have seen stuff sneek it's way behind drawers many times.

Secondly, offer the family $20 to the person who finds it. My kids will scour a house much better than I ever could for money.

I hope the best for you. I feel your pain.

If you fail to find the BC. Would it be possible to leave DD with a relative? Then ALL would not be lost.

This was my idea too. Try to find a babysitter for your daughter so at least you and your husband could enjoy going. You might find out a trip for just the 2 of you some couple time was just what you needed as you said you were overworked, overwhelmed etc.

She needs either a certified bc or passport, I don't think even a copy of her bc would work, but I could be wrong, I am sure there are others here that will have better knowledge than I.

A copy should be sufficient, it is all the DHS regulations require but this has gotten more cloudy since the State Department changed their requirements for what types of birth certificates they accept with passport applications. As I've said before- I'd rather show up with a copy than with nothing at all.

OP, good luck, you'll really need a vacation after this!

If you still live near the hospital where she was born, have you called the hospital to see if they have a copy of the birth certificate?

That's a good thought but the birth certificate must be issued by the state in order to be valid, hospital certificates are not sufficient.

Do you live in a small town that you were born in? We do and we forgot the get bc from safety deposit box . Thought of it after bank closed and they couldn't open vault so we called the County Clerk that we knew. She came to court house on Sat. morning and got us a bc. We were packed and ready to go!! Small towns have their advantage and we no longer keep bc in bank. Lesson learned.....:)

I once lost my daughter's BC, spent a week hunting it, gave up and sent off for a new one.

I found it a month later folded up inside my husband's BC. They are the long form, and I just didn't realize there was two sheets of paper there.

I'm adding prayers for you!!!

If you still live near the hospital where she was born, have you called the hospital to see if they have a copy of the birth certificate?

Hospitals do not issue birth certificates. They have you fill out a form, sign it, and it is sent to the state who issues the certificate. EM

OP, I hope you find the BC. Just my $.02, but rather than "learning the lesson" about travel insurance, perhaps the lesson here you were supposed to learn was that you really need Passports for everyone that travels with you? It seems like a big expense at the time (travel insurance is not cheap either), but when you realize that the cost is good for 10 years (5 years for children under 16 I believe), it makes that initial cost not so bad. I truly hope you find the BC, and then run to the post office upon returning home to get your daughter a Passport :)

What about the school? We had to provide birth certificates when we registered our kids for school the first time. Teachers, principal, administrator- someone that could get it from the school file for you?

I believe that plain copies will not do. I think you have to travel with a certified copy from the state of issue (with the official stamp evident).

OP, I hope you find the BC. Just my $.02, but rather than "learning the lesson" about travel insurance, perhaps the lesson here you were supposed to learn was that you really need Passports for everyone that travels with you? It seems like a big expense at the time (travel insurance is not cheap either), but when you realize that the cost is good for 10 years (5 years for children under 16 I believe), it makes that initial cost not so bad. I truly hope you find the BC, and then run to the post office upon returning home to get your daughter a Passport :)

So you're saying that there is no way to misplace a passport either?? Nice try~

Is it in the printer/scanner? I "lost" 2 credit cards that way:o

In the summer of 08 i was headed to London with a group of friends...i stopped by a office supply place to make a quick copy of my passport because my scanner wasn't working....i was literally on my way to the airport after that, and as i was rushing out the door of the office supply place, a guy came after me and had my passport! I had picked up the copy i had made, but forgot to get the passport off the scanner!:eek::eek:

Archived