Think we just ruined our cruise!

huneymoonerz

Catalina is an odd port. Only 26 miles (as the song goes) from the coast and in the same county as Long Beach. You can even get the Catalina Express from Long Beach. How many ports can be like that?

So if you leave from Long Beach, on a different ship, would that be in violation of the PSVA? It could be argued that it isn't.

Hopefully you're right. If I read correctly CCL offered up that as an option and they should know better than anyone.

Meet the ship in catalina. Be ready to take off as soon as the office opens. I wouldn't think it would be illegal since it is US, and thus you are still going to Mexico. Best of luck- this is one stress you didn't need. Was she born in a local hospital? They may be able to do something for you. Call the hospital and see what they can do by FAX- and then call Carnival. Do you have her SS card?

That's why I was thinking it would be illegal because when you get on at Catalina it changes the cruise from a round trip from Long Beach to a cruise from Catalina to Long Beach which according to the PSVA you would have to pay a fine of $300pp since they would then have to visit a "DISTANT" foreign port and Ensenada wouldn't qualify. AFAIK anyway.

Hopefully it's a moot point and OP can get on in Long Beach.

Bill

I am sorry to hear that and I hope you do find it. But I think you're learning the wrong lesson from this: it's not about the travel insurance, it's about getting a passport. If you had a passport you'd have two ways to get on the cruise. Would you rather have your money back or go on a cruise as planned? If you choose the cruise, get passports.

Oh yes, passports for the kids are the next step.

Update... We are getting an Affidavit of Birth from US Customs. Everything should go smoothly (knock on wood).

I'll try to update here tomorrow through the phone. If not, check John Heald's page on FB. I'll def do an update there as he's trying to help if needed.

I am sorry to hear that and I hope you do find it. But I think you're learning the wrong lesson from this: it's not about the travel insurance, it's about getting a passport. If you had a passport you'd have two ways to get on the cruise. Would you rather have your money back or go on a cruise as planned? If you choose the cruise, get passports.

Or she could order an extra birth certificate:)

Bill

just when you thought you read everything.

using someone elses bc. great. now we are suggesting illegal activity.

i'm surprised i haven't read a suggestion for packing a child in a suitcase, a la "i love lucy".

op, i feel for you, and really hope you get some correct information from a legitamate and legal source.

good luck, and let us know how you make out.

I'm so glad the op seems to have found a solution!

If this was to happen again, place a coffe mug upside down in the middle of your dining table. It sounds ridiculous but it works! An old thing my Nana used to do. Also, I don't think anyone mentioned it, but check your garbage bags. Lost my keys once, found them in the trash waiting for pick up the next day!

Happy cruising!!!!

No it would not, you are responsible for documents and insurance willnever cover lack of documents.

I think I read somewhere in all of these pages that some policies do provide coverage for lost or stolen travel documents, but just like with everything else the devil is in the fine print.

Not sure if this was pre or post 9/11 but a lot of things have changed since then.

My sister had this happen in March of 2000. Looked for her birth certificate to bring and glancing saw her name on it. Turned out to be one of her kids. She was frantic as she discovered this on the night before the cruise in the hotel.

She signed the form and all was well.

Doesn't happen anymore

just when you thought you read everything.

using someone elses bc. great. now we are suggesting illegal activity.

i'm surprised i haven't read a suggestion for packing a child in a suitcase, a la "i love lucy".

Son Runners, I believe, are against Carnival policy.

Good luck. There have been so many great suggestions posted here. The only other thing I could suggest is to look for something else for awhile; maybe you'll stumble across it then. You have a lot of people pulling for you.

If there's something good from this thread is that it's making quite a few people with upcoming cruises double check that they have their documents in order.

I know I did! I even called my mother in law this morning (the same mother in law who hasn't sailed with us since she showed up without her passport for our cruise in 2008!) and made sure that she indeed has her passport and that it's not expired! :D

Too late now if she didn't find it, but for everyone else. A call to a city, State or other elected offical could have done the trick. Can you imagine the votes and good will that would bring them.

This attitude is part of what is wrong with this country. It is a holiday weekend for goodness sakes. These people deserve a day off, and if they are stupid enough to go in and work on a national holiday then they don't deserve to be reelected.

I think that instead of "stupid", they should be called dedicated to help their fellow people. We personally know two congressmen that would bend over backwards to help someone on a situation like this...day off or not.

Update... We are getting an Affidavit of Birth from US Customs. Everything should go smoothly (knock on wood).

I'll try to update here tomorrow through the phone. If not, check John Heald's page on FB. I'll def do an update there as he's trying to help if needed.

Glad you may have a resolution. I don't have Facebook, so I will have to hope you will update here as well. ;)

Yes, lets put the child in a carry-on, send them through xray. :rolleyes:

I am surprised that no one has tried to pull that trick, or maybe they have and we just haven't heard about it.

I'm so glad the op seems to have found a solution!

If this was to happen again, place a coffe mug upside down in the middle of your dining table. It sounds ridiculous but it works! An old thing my Nana used to do. Also, I don't think anyone mentioned it, but check your garbage bags. Lost my keys once, found them in the trash waiting for pick up the next day.

I lost my cell phone that way and once I retraced my steps, I realized where it must be. Sure enough, there it was sitting out on top of the garbage can. I rescued the phone before pick-up.

What does an upside down coffee mug do? :confused:

Yes, lets put the child in a carry-on, send them through xray. :rolleyes:

I am surprised that no one has tried to pull that trick, or maybe they have and we just haven't heard about it.

As long as the child doesn't have the shape of a bottle of liqour it might just work;).

Archived