Desserts in Blu

cruise kitty

Hi:) One of my favorite indulgences on a cruise is dessert, that said, I have a couple of questions about dessert in Blu:

Some one on another thread posted Blu menus, & while they look terrific, I'm a little bit concerned about the dessert choices... in the MDR basic Creme Brule is available on the everyday menu, any chance of getting it in Blu??

Also, are the desserts in Blu better than they sound? Maybe the descriptions don't do them justice?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm a big dessert fan also and initially thought the Blu ones looked incredibly boring; we were pleasantly surprised onboard. They are on the small side but they will happily get you another if you have room! (we never did)

And if you see something to die for on the MDR menu, I can tell you that someone on the next table to us ordered dessert from the MDR one evening without any issue.

I found Blu's most interesting desserts to be the no sugar added offerings. They did great things with fruit. There were sugar-filled choices as well, including a version of crème brûlée. I fed my sugar tooth in Cafe al Baccio.

Cheers,

John

Hi:) One of my favorite indulgences on a cruise is dessert, that said, I have a couple of questions about dessert in Blu:

Some one on another thread posted Blu menus, & while they look terrific, I'm a little bit concerned about the dessert choices... in the MDR basic Creme Brule is available on the everyday menu, any chance of getting it in Blu??

Also, are the desserts in Blu better than they sound? Maybe the descriptions don't do them justice?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks for starting this thread, cruise kitty. I am personally not much of a dessert guy, but my DW will seriously kill me if my switch to AQ results in her getting an inferior dessert selection by dining in Blu. :(

If there is anything you love and want to have every night? All you need to do is ask ahead and they will have it.

My DH loves rum raisin ice cream...they did have to "go somewhere" to get if for him the first night. After that they kept in the the freezer for Blu and offered it to him. And he could still order dessert and have his ice cream too.

If you want Creme Brule every night...just ask.:D

I like a bowl of fresh mixd berries and could always have that on request too.

The deserts were deserts. They were sweet. It seemed as if they had the creme brûlé a few times. Always ordered the ice cream with the deserts. Most of the times we never finished either one. You can also hit the buffet and grab a few desserts if that is what you really are into. The other place is the coffee cafe. I think that will become your favorite place. They always have some interesting stuff and there is no charge, They only charge for coffee but you are not obligated to buy any.

I found Blu's most interesting desserts to be the no sugar added offerings. They did great things with fruit. There were sugar-filled choices as well, including a version of crème brûlée. I fed my sugar tooth in Cafe al Baccio.

Cheers,

John

Hi John. Would you share with us what desserts you tried from Cafe al Baccio? Thank you.

63galaxie, I love iced pastries, and am a petit fours fanatic, because you can pretend that you are eating less that way. ;) I was not disappointed. I also enjoyed the cookies and biscotti. I am not that into fluff or flaky pastry, but my partner loved the filled croissants.

Cheers,

John

Hi John. Would you share with us what desserts you tried from Cafe al Baccio? Thank you.

We experienced some great desserts as well as some forgettable ones in Blu last December. My favorite dessert on the ship was the chocolate pistachio creme brulee from Tuscan Grille...due to an issue I had with the steak and service there(TG) on our first night, the manager brought me over a serving to Blu on our last night to make amends for the first night issues...the managers from both Blu and TG were really excellent at making certain we were happy.

Bistro on 5 had some great offerings as well

If my memory is working correctly, room service had a great cheesecake offering...

As much as we enjoy AQ and Blu, I would have to rate the desserts poor to fair. They look good, but we found most to be overly sweet. We ended up eating one bite or skipping dessert. I think most desserts and the ice cream onboard are tasteless. I sure don't need the sugar calories so it was no big deal.

Elizabeth

On solstice, the head chef came round after dinner with the manager. They asked if we had any special requests. I'm a lover of Eton Mess which I described.

The chef said leave it with me.

Next night we had his version of Eton Mess, which was great. As they made a few extra it wad enjoyed on a few other tables.

Fantastic that this can happen, and is one of the real benefits of smaller scale dining.

The desserts in Blu were really not very good. There was no Baked Alaska. Very disappointing. I ordered creme brulee from MDR several times and they were nice about getting it, except one night they didn't brown the sugar on top. That is my only complaint about Blu. The rest of the food was very good. I guess there is no way to make the really good desserts "healthy". Surely Celebrity could fix this problem.

63galaxie, I love iced pastries, and am a petit fours fanatic, because you can pretend that you are eating less that way. ;) I was not disappointed. I also enjoyed the cookies and biscotti. I am not that into fluff or flaky pastry, but my partner loved the filled croissants.

Cheers,

John

Be still my heart, errr, stomach. It sounds fantastic! Thanks for sharing.

Archived