LIVE From the Oasis of the Seas - Sailing 17 September 2011 (Saturday)

Trainman-2

Are you kidding about the $2 tip?

NO! I had been told $1 was appropriate but they took us on to Barefoot Beach so I doubled it to $2 each.

When they dropped us off at the Gangway I tipped them each $3 because they went out of their way to be ready for when we came out of Security.

It took them about 5 minutes to roll us back to the Ship and before we were up the gangway they had two people loaded for the trip to the beach and were already headed ashore.

Overall, I am disappointed with RCI's participation in the Meet & Mingles lately.

Today a low level staffer from the Cruise Director's Staff ran the event.

No Ship's Officer appeared!

The "purpose" of the M&M's is primarily for us who hang out on Cruise Critic to meet and get to know each other.

A few years ago the M&M's seemed to be "Important Events!" RCI had Coffee, Juices, snacks, and Sweet Rolls. Today there was no coffee, one plate of sweet rolls, water, and juice. Times have sure changed!

On my Allure Cruise they gave away 10 copies of the books about the Ships Art which were selling for close to $100. Today we got sun visors, key chains, and refrigerator magnets.

But this is an excellent opportunity for RCI to invest 10 or 15 minutes of a Senior Officer's or the Captain's in giving us a pep talk and telling us what is going on within RCI.

RCI used to do this.

I feel RCI is treating us as if we are not worth the time!

There goes any future upgrades.

haha...luv it!!!.

you and my BFF would get along great...she tells us this every afternoon when we are cruising...haha

Nothing better than grabbing a book and a blanket and laying out on the balcony... not sure what the book is for, but it's pretty much a sedative for me!

-germ

This is just what I needed to start off this Monday. I am itching to be back on a cruise ship. These cruise withdrawals are unbearable at times. :D

Congrats on the new wife! Boy does she know how blessed she is to marry a cruiser? LOL! I wish I could meet a man that loves to cruise and wants me to tag along with him. I would be in HOG HEAVEN!!!

They go both directions. All you need to do if find one and he can call in more if needed.

On our return to the ship we were driven from Barefoot Beach in a Golf Cart and dropped off at the check in station and X-Ray machine.

One of the guys who rolled us ashore from the ship recognized me and waved. I held up 2 fingers, he nodded, and pointed to an area where they would meet us.

When we came out of the security building they were waiting for us and rolled us back to the ship.

Since we had been through Security ashore all we had to do on the ship was "Boing In" with our Sea Pass Cards.

I know you didn't get very far but I was wondering about the concrete paths. In some of Radio's pix of Labadee in May it looked like there were quite a few concrete paths throughout the complex now. Jon will have a scooter so we know he can make it down the pier but not sure of how much of Labadee he can enjoy without having to walk alot in the sand. He can walk as needed but not that far without a rest stop. Kind of like you and Carol walking down the pier in Aruba on our Jewel cruise. :eek: :D

I know you didn't get very far but I was wondering about the concrete paths. In some of Radio's pix of Labadee in May it looked like there were quite a few concrete paths throughout the complex now. Jon will have a scooter so we know he can make it down the pier but not sure of how much of Labadee he can enjoy without having to walk alot in the sand. He can walk as needed but not that far without a rest stop. Kind of like you and Carol walking down the pier in Aruba on our Jewel cruise. :eek: :D

No worries, there are concrete paths throughout Labadee so unless you want to go on the sand you don't really ever have to.

DSCN3249-1.jpg

Can't tell from this pic but how are the night stand working with your C-PAP machine? Jon is on one of those too and I was just curious if the extension cord you brought is doing the trick and if there was enough room for the machine, travel clock, and anything else you might want to keep handy? The regular bedside stands in a Standard cabin leaves a lot to be desired........

No worries, there are concrete paths throughout Labadee so unless you want to go on the sand you don't really ever have to.

It's been a couple of years since we made it to Labadee so we haven't seen it since all the big improvements. That is really good to know because just because Jon can't make it around like he once use too he can still have a good time. We're doing the Dragon Tail Coaster at 11:30 -- TWICE! He would crawl thru the sand to get to that ride. LOL

Can't tell from this pic but how are the night stand working with your C-PAP machine? Jon is on one of those too and I was just curious if the extension cord you brought is doing the trick and if there was enough room for the machine, travel clock, and anything else you might want to keep handy? The regular bedside stands in a Standard cabin leaves a lot to be desired........

Standing at the foot of the bed, facing the wall, the telephone is on the top of the night stand and the "Mystery Plug" is hidden under the left top of the bed. One person needs to lift up the mattress while the other person plugs in the CPAP cord.

My CPAP is on the second shelf and I put the hose and mask in an empty drawer in the vanity so they don't get stomped by accident during the day.

I sleep on the left side of the bed so I did not need my extension cord.

Someone of the right side of the bed would need a short extension cord.

The improvements at Labadee are indeed impressive.

The Straw Market is gigantic! There is something for everyone.

DSCN3484.jpg

DSCN3482.jpg

I saw at least three tractor drawn people movers/trailers running constantly. One came by every 5-10 minutes.

There are concrete pathways everywhere.

Jim, when you get home email Goldsteins office. I did when we were billed $11 for sparkling water. We never would have ordered it if we had known and when they called me I told them that and they reversed the charges. I know its not much money but it was the principle of it to me. Just a thought.

Ruthie, if you let special needs know they will have water and extension cord in room. Yes, the cord will go across the room but Mike just unplugged in during the day and place it under the bed. Mike usually puts his cpap on the floor or the bottom shelf on the bedside table.

Standing at the foot of the bed, facing the wall, the telephone is on the top of the night stand and the "Mystery Plug" is hidden under the left top of the bed. One person needs to lift up the mattress while the other person plugs in the CPAP cord.

My CPAP is on the second shelf and I put the hose and mask in an empty drawer in the vanity so they don't get stomped by accident during the day.

I sleep on the left side of the bed so I did not need my extension cord.

Someone of the right side of the bed would need a short extension cord.

Thanks so much Jim. Jon is a right side sleeper so his 6' extension card will be perfect. You are a godsent on this cruise for us.

Trainman, you stated that there were no children on the first night in the CL. Have you been back to the CL? Children?

I have been there three nights and only saw one kid, a young girl, maybe 13ish with her parents and well behaved.

I did ask about the new rules and in addition to kids during the cocktail hour you can now wear shorts or tee shirts. :eek:

I only saw a few people with shorts and tee shirts and they came in, grabbed some food, and left almost immediately.

So far the CL has been very pleasant for us! No problems!

Jim, when you get home email Goldsteins office. I did when we were billed $11 for sparkling water. We never would have ordered it if we had known and when they called me I told them that and they reversed the charges. I know its not much money but it was the principle of it to me. Just a thought.

Ruthie, if you let special needs know they will have water and extension cord in room. Yes, the cord will go across the room but Mike just unplugged in during the day and place it under the bed. Mike usually puts his cpap on the floor or the bottom shelf on the bedside table.

Your advise for Jon's first cruise with the C-Pap last Sept was a blessing. THANK YOU!! We didn't have a bit of a problem but this time it's in a Jr Suite, and the Oasis, so I have been wondering how this all was going to work. I'm sure that there are others out there with the same questions but don't want to ask.

Dinner in the MDR was very good tonight.

Sorry but we were talking and I completely forgot to shoot photos.

The Lamb Shank was very good.

NOTE: I read somewhere on the CC Boards that you could ask your waiter to have a cheese tray and a fruit tray waiting for you when you arrived. I tried it and it worked. Two regular plates filled with fruit, cheese, and a few cracker were delivered tonight as soon as we sat down.

Archived