POLL on special Princess surveys

regnig

[SIZE="4"][B]I have been asked my opinion in a special Princess survey:[/B][/SIZE]  

247 members have voted

1. 1. [SIZE="4"][B]I have been asked my opinion in a special Princess survey:[/B][/SIZE]

• Never been surveyed
    • Never cruised Princess but have been surveyed
    • 1 to 5 Princess cruises (Gold) been surveyed
    • 6 to 15 Princess cruises (Platinum) been surveyed
    • 16+ Princess cruises (Elite) been surveyed

The thread re: the special survey Princess conducted on Formal night really got me to thinking about these “surveys” and the “random sampling protocol” that Princess must be using. I believe this is the 3rd one Princess has conducted (or at least claimed they did) and it sure appears that a good sized majority of CCs have not been sampled.

While I’m not upset I am certainly curious as to what the numbers, strictly amongst CCers is. To date Princess has never asked my opinion on any issue; the only communication I receive from them is ads related to giving them more of my hard earned money. While I realize that our 23 cruises is not an exorbitant amount I would appreciate feeling as if they do care about our opinion.

So, just to satisfy my curiosity please vote next to your current status on Princess. This only applies to “special surveys” on a specific subject and not the standard one we all seem to get following our last sailing.

I have been asked for my opinion in a special Princess survey:

Never been asked

Never cruised Princess

1 to 5 Princess cruises (Gold)

6 to 15 Princess cruises (Platinum)

16+ Princess cruises (Elite)

Please allow me to chime in since survey sampling is something with which I am very familiar. It should not surprise anyone that the sample numbers for Princess' surveys may be quite small - perhaps even less than 5% of total customers. The key thing to remember is that, if the surveys are distributed to a truly random slice of passengers, the results thereof will represent the entire landscape of Princess customers. So, we shouldn't get too bent out of shape if our opinions are not counted.

How many people should be surveyed? To get results that are accurate to about +/- 2 percentage points, they should have about 750-1,000 completed questionnaires. From those, they can slice and dice the data to represent different factions (older/younger, men/women, etc.). Bear in mind that if you slice up the data and have smaller sub-sample sizes to deal with, the sampling "error" increases and the results become accurate to a greater swing in percentage points - perhaps +/- 5 or more percentage points, for example. In other words, you don't get something for nothing (in life as well as in survey data.)

Think of survey sampling like you would the head chef on a Princess ship. For him/her to sample the soup on a given night, he/she need not guzzle a gallon of it to sample it...a tablespoon will do quite nicely.

Overall I'm glad to see that Princess seems to be using survey sampling techniques that are tried and true.

Best to all,

MJ

Overall I'm glad to see that Princess seems to be using survey sampling techniques that are tried and true.

MJ

I seem to remember my Statistics Prof in college explaining, and then demonstrating, that a good statistician could prove any hypothesis they wanted to by the use of numbers.

So voted 0, but we have sailed with Princess over 25 times. Our feelings are not hurt.:p

Mine aren't either! I just decided since I've never participated in a Princess Survey I'd conduct my own. :D:rolleyes::D

Please allow me to chime in since survey sampling is something with which I am very familiar. It should not surprise anyone that the sample numbers for Princess' surveys may be quite small - perhaps even less than 5% of total customers. The key thing to remember is that, if the surveys are distributed to a truly random slice of passengers, the results thereof will represent the entire landscape of Princess customers. So, we shouldn't get too bent out of shape if our opinions are not counted.

How many people should be surveyed? To get results that are accurate to about +/- 2 percentage points, they should have about 750-1,000 completed questionnaires. From those, they can slice and dice the data to represent different factions (older/younger, men/women, etc.). Bear in mind that if you slice up the data and have smaller sub-sample sizes to deal with, the sampling "error" increases and the results become accurate to a greater swing in percentage points - perhaps +/- 5 or more percentage points, for example. In other words, you don't get something for nothing (in life as well as in survey data.)

Think of survey sampling like you would the head chef on a Princess ship. For him/her to sample the soup on a given night, he/she need not guzzle a gallon of it to sample it...a tablespoon will do quite nicely.

Best to all,

MJ

I agree -- if the total population is large, a random sample that will mirror the total population can be relatively small. One key is that the sample be random, which means Elite or Platinum members cannot be purposely selected. Conversely, if the total population is small, the the relative sample size will need to be large to achieve the same accuracy. The kicker here, which I confess is over my head, is how the voluntary nature of the survey is considered when designing a statistically significant sample size.

Best to all,

MJ

Thanks for sharing some facts about surveys which was my thoughts also. With such a small sampling required, then statistically there won't be many CC members either. I trust that they'll get an accurate gauge on how ALL Princess passengers feel about the dress code & any other thing they seek the feelings of ALL passengers. I didn't get the current one but once got one around the time I became elite about sharing our Princess benefis with other CCL companies & for us to get them on other CCL ships. Just because a computer randomly picked me to fit whatever category necessary, my opinions merely were a sampling & generally such surveys are very accurate. Whether I received a survey or not, I wouldn't get so upset like some who feel disrespected & who take it personally. There's always the option to share our opinions with Princess by writing them even for subjects not in a survey.

This survey simply seeks to find out how many CC members have received them which statiscally should be very few even with a non-scientific poll such as this one. :rolleyes: However, IMHO, too many surveys lately which don't truly show Princess how ALL passengers feel but merely those who routinely participate in CC.

I fear that if Princess went by "majority rules" by using surveys to dictate things like dress codes,we shall all have to begin packing backward baseball caps and pants with our guts and fanny cracks showing for future sailings. It's a cruise ship,not a bowling alley or camp ground. Anyway,I cannot recall if I have ever been surveyed by anyone from Princess other than a few lecherous crew members!! LOL!! just kiddin' ! :p

I seem to remember my Statistics Prof in college explaining, and then demonstrating, that a good statistician could prove any hypothesis they wanted to by the use of numbers.

Mine aren't either! I just decided since I've never participated in a Princess Survey I'd conduct my own. :D:rolleyes::D

I personally haven't beleived in polls since I seen one taken here after an afternoon Detroit Red Wings hockey game. They took a poll aftrer an aftenoon hockey game. Do you prefure afternoon or night hockry games. Anyone want to guess which won, surprise- Afternoon games.

The thread re: the special survey Princess conducted on Formal night really got me to thinking about these “surveys” and the “random sampling protocol” that Princess must be using. I believe this is the 3rd one Princess has conducted (or at least claimed they did) and it sure appears that a good sized majority of CCs have not been sampled.

While I’m not upset I am certainly curious as to what the numbers, strictly amongst CCers is. To date Princess has never asked my opinion on any issue; the only communication I receive from them is ads related to giving them more of my hard earned money. While I realize that our 23 cruises is not an exorbitant amount I would appreciate feeling as if they do care about our opinion.

So, just to satisfy my curiosity please vote next to your current status on Princess. This only applies to “special surveys” on a specific subject and not the standard one we all seem to get following our last sailing.

I have been asked for my opinion in a special Princess survey:

Never been asked

Never cruised Princess

1 to 5 Princess cruises (Gold)

6 to 15 Princess cruises (Platinum)

16+ Princess cruises (Elite)

Thanks for doing this poll is is interesting.

I wonder what percentage of frequent Princess cruisers (Elite & Platinum) participate on CC? I suspect it is a very low percentage. If that is the case, then it would be surprising if a large percentage of CC members received a survey.

Additionally, I wonder how many CC members actively post their preferences or vote on polls like this one.

I suppose Princess could come up with a segmented survey aimed specifically at repeat cruisers -- maybe to see why they come back. Or conversely, a survey could be aimed exclusively at new cruisers to see what would attract them. What I doubt they would do is a survey aimed specifically at CC members. I don't think it would be possible. At least I hope it wouldn't be possible.

What does all of this mean? Absolutely nothing -- just some random thoughts while real housewives is on the tube.

I voted on this poll. Have not received any special surveys from Princess (sigh).

I fear that if Princess went by "majority rules" by using surveys to dictate things like dress codes,we shall all have to begin packing backward baseball caps and pants with our guts and fanny cracks showing for future sailings. It's a cruise ship,not a bowling alley or camp ground. Anyway,I cannot recall if I have ever been surveyed by anyone from Princess other than a few lecherous crew members!! LOL!! just kiddin' ! :p

Hmmmm. Majority shouldn't decide? I am not always in the majoity, but I'm not so sure I agree.

PS: you may have hit on a lucrative marketing concept. Right now people have to buy regular caps and turn them backwards. Consider the sales possibilities if you entered the market with a hat designed to be worn backwards! All you need to do is attach the bill to the back of the hat. Though it might be easier to just move the tag from back to the front of the hat!:D

Yeah, god forbid a company does what the majority of it's clients want, that would be awful, what are they thinking :eek::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I fear that if Princess went by "majority rules" by using surveys to dictate things like dress codes,we shall all have to begin packing backward baseball caps and pants with our guts and fanny cracks showing for future sailings. It's a cruise ship,not a bowling alley or camp ground.

Do you know of any company that could survive if they ignored the "majority"?? :rolleyes:

It's a discussion about continuing formal nights & not to be dressed the way you described...a ridiculous exaggeration that would never work with Princess' passengers who keep their ships sailing full. :rolleyes:

I WAS making a sarcastic description ..just saying that the more a cruise line lowers the bar,the more some passengers will go a few rungs lower. I am not gung ho about formal nights. I may or may not feel like dressing up. I do ,however, feel sorry to see the last remnants of any elegance of cruising disappear. A relaxed,comfortable vacation can have a little bit of specialness thrown in. No,I don't think a cruise business is a democracy. I think they are wise to consider the opinions of passengers but to use some judgment as business owners. Many of you have been cruising for a long time. There must have been something that attracted you to choose a cruise over some other vacation option. Personally,stories of tips about mature women hiding bottles of booze in their pants to sneak it onboard,etc...I pray reflect a minority of passengers. I don't think making a formal night optional will spoil a cruise. I just hope it does not reflect a trend to sink to the lowest common denominator and become some Walmart of the Seas experience. As for the backward caps,I feel certain some of those fellows spend considerable time in the mirror figuring out how to turn a cap around,so why not make it easier? No doubt they could just glue them in place since they never take them off. As for the NONgentlemen who wear them in the dining room,you should remove them or all the ladies assume you are bald underneath even if you are not. That WOULD BE the MAJORITY of ladies...;)

By the way,what is the current policy on formal nights??? HAHAHAHA Are flip flops and bib overalls ok if they are REALLY NICE ones?? Sorry,y'all--just having some fun with same dead horse topic that ALWAYS gets peoples panties in a bunch. FORMAL panties or old granny panties with ragged elastic??? I don't even WANT to know what the majority are wearing. Maybe panties with special compartments to hold forbidden bottles of booze! That,along with the backwards cap! I'm bettin' I could sell both on an infomercial. Seems I long for the cruising of yesteryear with Charro and Bert Convy. --sigh--:p

Archived