JOIN LINDY LIVE FROM THE MS ZAANDAM Sept 24 to Oct 12, 2011

lindalans

Lindy, I feel for you and your frustrations with your shore excursions.

You are handling this very nicely IMO. No question, there has to be a better job done on explaining shore excursions and on providing information.

Linda,

In your future communications with HAL, you should mention how the Princess excursion list for this Hilo tour does not list your tour as accessible.

I really feel for you, but I have to say, based on my communications with HAL in 2008 and all I have read on these boards since then, I learned that you can never trust what any HAL rep tells you. Reading the other cruiseline boards, even some upper end ones, I find that they have the same problems. It is a shame that we cannot get accurate information. It is, indeed, most frustrating. I don't have an answer, except that your experience will definitely help others. I am sure that in the future they will be doing a lot more research about tours before signing up for them. Even if it means trying to call the vendors direct. What a shame that people who need accessible tours will have to go to so much more work.

I hope the rest of your cruise goes better and you can relax as you head back home.

Please keep us posted on HAL's response to you.

Hilo continued…….

After the meeting I went down to the infirmary to have my heel cleaned and dressed, then it was back to my cabin to get ready for “Dinner with the Chef” which starts with a champagne reception at 5:30pm.

We had letters from the Captain this morning to say because we missed Lahaina, there would be a “free” cocktail party up in the lido from 5pm – 7:30pm. I won’t be attending.

Dine with the Chef.

This event cost me $79 and it was worth every penny. It was held in the Culinary Arts Center, with Executive chef Joachim Barelmann hosting and preparing our meal, along with his assistant that he calls “half pint” as she is so tiny! Not only is the chef an excellent cook, but he is approachable, personable, and has a wonderful sense of humour. This event books up very quickly as only 12 people can attend. It’s a 7 course meal with each course paired with wine. I don’t normally drink but do enjoy, on occasion, a glass of wine. This certainly was an occasion, despite having to drink and drive! The menu was as follows;

AMUSE GUEULES

“Domaine St. Michelle Brut, Washington State

WARM SCALLOP, WALNUT & CALVES LIVER SALAD

Lightly sautéed in garlic with fresh herbs and finished with raspberry vinegar reduction served over a crisp spinach & vegetable salad.

“Leonard Kreusch Riesling Spatlese Piesporter Michelsberg”

SEAFOOD TERRINE

Lobster medallions and crab leg set in a light salmon mousse garnished with caviar and served with basil tomato sauce.

“D.O. Rioja, Marques de Caceres”

MOCK TURTLE SOUP

Double beef consommé flavoured with turtle herbs and topped with a curry liason

“Ruffino Pinot Grigio, Italy

LATTICE OF HALIBUT AND SALMON

Served on watercress herb sauce

Franciscan Chardonnay Valley, California

ORANGE SORBEY WITH CHAMPAGNE

SAUTTEED FILLET OF STERLING BEEF TENDERLOIN

Filled with Stilton cheese served with a rich Madeira and tarragon reduction, garlic mashed potato, grilled tomato and broccoli puree

“Spellbound Petit-Sirah, California

JOACHIM’S CRÈME BRULEE

A rich classic dessert like the old days

“Dow’s Late Bottle Vintage Port, Portugal

As if this wasn’t enough, coffee was served with a wonderful assortment of chocolates from the Pinnacle Grill. This exquisite meal was served over a 4 hour time period.

My day may not have started well, but it ended in style! An added bonus was I wasn’t ticketed for drinking and driving!!

At Sea, Friday, Oct 7, 2011

I chose to have a little lie in this morning. Ididn’t have breakfast, as I needed to be at the infirmary for 10am, to have my heel cleaned and dressed. I’m planning a lazy day at sea. Tomorrow Ruth C. I will have a danish for you and some bacon.

This morning I attended chef Joachim’s “In the kitchen with Jock” in the culinary arts center, and his partner in crime was Captain Andre van Schoonhoven. He looks very young but he has been at sea for 38 years! Like the chef he has a great sense of humour, so I enjoyed their half hour of bantering as they cooked.

My plan was to corner him to talk about the tender issue, but no such luck, he got away!

As I was leaving, a lady came up to me and asked if I was Lindy. When I said I was, she said that a friend of hers in Edmonton, Alberta, was following my “Live from the Zaandam” on Cruise Critic.

Lunch was in the dining room as I decided to attend the solo lunch with party planner Rebecca. There were 6 of us present (all women) and it was very nice.

My afternoon was certainly lazy as all I accomplished was typing up last night’s menu. For some reason I can never get on the internet in the afternoon to post. When I do get on, it depends on how long it takes to post, as to whether or not I read your responses on my thread. I bought 200 minutes (and got 20 free minutes) for $100 so I’m not planning on buying more time. I think I have about 80 minutes left so it should be ample to see me through until Oct. 11th. My final report will be from home in Red Deer, but as I don’t get home until the evening, it may be a couple of days after the 12th before I get it done. I’m looking forward to being home with my furry friend, Hope, and I just hope she doesn’t ignore me for a couple of days like she sometimes does!

Will I cruise again? I hope so, but I do know I won’t come back to Hawaii. It simply isn’t wheelchair friendly (when you travel alone.) That dole whip turned out to be very expensive! J My dream cruise would be a transatlantic repositioning cruise to England, Scotland and Wales to see family. Then another cruise to the fjords of Norway and Sweden. My dreams are big, but as I’m sure you can tell, I’m a pretty determined person so I don’t give up easily!!

Jyteeaitch thanks for your comment “she's a reet gudd lass from upp NorthI’m a true Northerner! A Cumbrian from a small village called Hawkshead, in the Lake District. William Wordsworth went to school there, and a mile and a half away (in Sawrey) is where Beatrix Potter wrote her famous stories about Peter Rabbit.

When I immigrated to Canada in 1977 Hawkshead was in Westmorland. Later on they changed the county borders of Westmorland, Cumberland and Lancashire. Westmorland and Cumberland were dropped, and absorbed into Cumbria and Lancashire.

I’d like to thank you all for following my thread, and your kind comments. Cruise Critic is a wonderful “community” to be a part of. I have certainly learned on this cruise that you can’t rely on what Hal in Seattle is saying about their tenders on the Zaandam. Also do research the port information well, and have a back up plan if possible. Utilize the experience of other disabled cruisers who have been to where you want to go, by posting questions in the disabled section, plus if possible check out websites of places you plan to visit.

As the Shore Excursion Desk was open from 2pm – 4pm, I headed down there to find out the “exact” story of why the bus lift yesterday, in Hilo, couldn’t take my wheelchair. I didn’t pursue it with Nyron onshore, because both he and Katrinka were very busy getting people organized into their groups, and I wouldn’t have had his undivided attention.

Today was my lucky day as there was no line up, and my timing was perfect as both Nyron and Katrinka were there. I talked to Nyron as he is the manager, but Katrinka was listening. He explained that the Westerdam was docked with us, and that the bus company simply didn’t have enough buses with lifts (and the extra space in the buses that wheelchair users take up) to accommodate me. He said he had already refunded my Hilo excursion 100% and as an act of goodwill, had also 100% refunded the excursion I did take in Nawiliwili which was $59. S… happens just like when the airlines overbook, and he did apologize.

I also told him of my meeting with Bernadette, who said there is a lift on the ship, and the phone call from the front desk stating that the 4th officer said there was a lift on the ship, and yet Katrinka told me there wasn’t a lift on the ship and she has worked here for 7 years (and yes she was standing there and heard what I said!) At this point Nyron’s phone was ringing so as he took the phone call. Katrinka then said to me “I’m only telling you what the bridge told me.”

Today is a good day, and again my timing is perfect!! Guess who was on the phone talking to Nyron??? It was the 1ST officer from the bridge!! Guess what he told him??? Yes there is a fully operating lift on the ship exactly like Bernadette told me. Success at last! At least I made it (my goal) to the 1ST officer (even though it wasn’t in person!!!) Nyron was very apologetic as he explained to me the procedure of using the ship’s lift. All elevators are shut down except for the one used down to this lift, it is totally dependent on weather conditions with the Captain making the final call. The lift then takes you down onto the tender where crew members are there to assist.

Please do remember though, this is not the lift on the tender that the letter from Seattle clearly states is available on the Zaandam. I also want to make it very clear that the false advertising I feel HAL in Seattle is doing, refers only to any shore excursions booked for tender ports in Kona and LaHaina, on the Zaandam. I have absolutely no idea how other HAL ships are set up, or what kind of tenders are available to them.

Tomorrow Ruth C. I will have a danish for you and some bacon.

Thanks! Sounds good. I'll dream of the taste, while you get the fat, calories, and sugar.

I am so sorry that the accomodations for your wheelchair just aren't there. It's not like the technology doesn't exist---it should be installed! :mad:

I hadn't realized how attached you are to your wheelchair. I know how much difficulty I have, and I can walk. Stairs do me in, but I can manage them when I have to. I can't imagine working around your limitations.

You're doing a nice thing sharing all this info that others will benefit from.

Will I cruise again? I hope so, but I do know I won’t come back to Hawaii. It simply isn’t wheelchair friendly (when you travel alone.)

LINDY,

I have some health limitations and travel solo at times....I wish I could have been on this cruise with you to help you when you needed help and make the cruise easier for you.

It would have been my pleasure to be there for you.

I'm glad you are having fun on your cruise despite the frustrations....and wish you a safe journey home!

The last paragraph of yesterday.

I returned to my cabin feeling ‘sufficiently foncified’ in my quest to find out the truth, for future wheelchair users coming to Hawaii on the Zaandam. If you encounter Katrinka onboard and she tells you there isn’t a lift on the ship; feel free to say “Lindy said there is one.” I some how feel she won’t forget me, simply because I pleasantly repeated what she had said, to her boss, in front of her! I’m sure you all can visualise the ‘little devil’ that was sitting on my shoulder when I said it!!!

Tonight was a formal night, so I enjoyed another lovely meal with my table mates. I then returned to my cabin to have an early night as I was tired.

At Sea, Saturday, Oct 8, 2011

Boy oh boy I think the stress is getting to me. I’ve had a really confusing day today. I woke up at 9:30am so had to quickly get washed and dressed so I could head up to the lido for breakfast. I arrived at 10:25am so I only had 5 minutes as the full buffet ends at 10:30am. I had bacon, eggs and potatoes, and 2 glasses of freshly squeezed orange juice, but forgot about the danish I was going to have for Ruth C.

It was really busy up there so maybe everyone got up late this morning. I sat at a table with a couple who were already seated. She said good morning in English, and he said good morning in broken English and added he was Dutch and didn’t speak much English. As I ate they continued their conversation in Dutch while I ate.

I then cruised around chatting to people, and browsed the $10 sale, but didn’t buy anything. With having a late breakfast I didn’t want lunch so I headed over to the shops to see if I could buy any macadamia nuts for a friend in Red Deer. I had intended to buy some in Hilo on the excursion (that never happened) but would have stopped at the Macadamia Nut Factory! They had a box of chocolate covered ones priced at $14.99 which I purchased just in case I can’t get any at San Diego Airport. I then headed over to the other shop to purchase the Holland America expandable tote on wheels for $29.99.

On returning to my cabin the ship was rocking a little so I got on the bed and fell asleep! Earlier the captain announced there was a hurricane off the coast of Mexico plus a “bad boy” off the coast of Washington. To be safe, I think after supper I will pack what I won’t need for the next 3 days, just in case the seas get rough. He also said he’d had an interesting conversation in the elevator. Apparently someone had complained and used the words “false advertising” in regards to crossing the “calm Pacific” to Hawaii. Part of his response was is Greenland green and is Iceland made of ice (or words to that effect!!) It was a stupid comment as he has no control over the weather, but I did think to myself it was just as well I only made it to the first officer!!!

When I woke up it was nearly 4:30pm so I had to quickly get spruced up for supper. Then I dashed down to the infirmary to have my heel cleaned and dressed. Next was a stop at the front desk to drop off my acceptance to the invitation for the one star Mariner Lunch tomorrow at 11:30am.

It was 5:25pm when I was heading to the dining room so I stopped in the lounge to visit with Bev and Andrew (2 roll call members.) At 5:45pm I excused myself and as I was coming out of the lounge I saw Bob (my nearly blind table mate) going in the opposite direction! I asked if he was going to supper but he said he was going for a cocktail first. I reminded him of the time and he said “It’s only 4:45pm you must be hungry!” I had forgotten I had not changed my watch the last time we set the clocks back an hour. No wonder it was busy in the lido at breakfast time this morning….it was only 9:30am.

After supper I came back to pack what I could (which I did) then started to post yesterday’s right up, only to find I’d posted it, except for the last paragraph which is above.

I worked on today’s report and completely forgot the crew show at 11pm this evening. It’s now 1:15am and it really is 1:15am as tonight the clocks went forward one hour.

Hopefully tomorrow (which is really today) I won’t be as confused as I was yesterday!!

Lindy,

I want to thank you for checking on the lift - and yes I will not be shy in using your name if they tell us there is no lift when we are on the Zaandam in 3 weeks.

I will continue pursuing the (are they or are they not) wheelchair accessible tours because, like you, I want people to have the correct information and know what to expect.

I did have to smile at your confusing day - it sounds like something I would do - especially on a relaxing cruise.

Hope you enjoy your sea days and have calm seas.

LIndalans,

Could you possible find time in the next few weeks to send me a reminder as to how a "cabin crawl" is organized? It looks like I may end in charge of organizing one on our upcoming cruise to New Zealand on Nov. 25th. Thank you.

[blacksandedd@gmail.com]

At Sea, Friday, Oct 7, 2011

Today was my lucky day as there was no line up, and my timing was perfect as both Nyron and Katrinka were there. I talked to Nyron as he is the manager, but Katrinka was listening. He explained that the Westerdam was docked with us, and that the bus company simply didn’t have enough buses with lifts (and the extra space in the buses that wheelchair users take up) to accommodate me. He said he had already refunded my Hilo excursion 100% and as an act of goodwill, had also 100% refunded the excursion I did take in Nawiliwili which was $59. S… happens just like when the airlines overbook, and he did apologize.

Linda, when you sign up for an excursion that says it is accessible, do you have to check a box and let them know you will need wheelchair accommodations? It seems to me that this is how it should be done. I understand that the buses can only accommodate "x" number of wheelchairs. However, there should be a system in place so they do not overbook wheelchair passengers. I think this whole situation is unfortunate and avoidable with proper record keeping.

On returning to my cabin the ship was rocking a little so I got on the bed and fell asleep! Earlier the captain announced there was a hurricane off the coast of Mexico plus a “bad boy” off the coast of Washington. To be safe, I think after supper I will pack what I won’t need for the next 3 days, just in case the seas get rough. He also said he’d had an interesting conversation in the elevator. Apparently someone had complained and used the words “false advertising” in regards to crossing the “calm Pacific” to Hawaii. Part of his response was is Greenland green and is Iceland made of ice (or words to that effect!!) It was a stupid comment as he has no control over the weather, but I did think to myself it was just as well I only made it to the first officer!!!

Seriously?????? I can't believe anyone would think they were guarenteed calm seas crossing the Pacific. I would venture to guess they are frequently unhappy about a lot of things in life.

Your stories are bringing back many fond memories of Hawaii. Re the time changes - My Mom, Dad and I went on a trip to Hawaii 25 years ago. We flew in on a Saturday. Since we are Catholic, we verified the location of the Church and the Mass Schedule. We arrived at the church and were surprised that no one was there. It turns out we were 3 hours EARLY for the Mass. The trip was a good one. Maybe all that extra praying helped.

At Sea, Sunday, Oct 9, 2011

I didn’t want to get up this morning, and have been dragging my feet all day. I think I’ve reached the point of just wanting to be home. You can now feel the temperature getting cooler each day as we get further away from Hawaii, and I’m not spending as much time on the back of the lido deck.

At 11:30am I attended the Mariner Lunch in the Rotterdam Dining Room. It was supposed to be in the lower area, but the 4th officer was directing us to the top floor. This was because there are so many Mariners aboard that the lower dining room was full, as well as half of the top level. There is also another Mariner Lunch tomorrow. There are many Canadians aboard and I have been told we make up 70% of the passengers. It is no doubt because the ship left from Vancouver. The meal was excellent. I had the cold fruit soup, the beef short ribs (which were very tender and tasty) followed by a key lime and white chocolate tart. Complimentary champagne was also served.

Afterwards I returned to my cabin for a short while to phone our Cruise Critic members. Our final Meet and Greet is scheduled for tomorrow morning at 10:30am, then we will do the slot pull and cabin crawl. We’ve had excellent turnouts to our prior events, so I’m sure tomorrow will be the same. I’ve asked everyone to return the plastic name tags which I purchased. In return they will receive a laminated commemorative coloured bookmark, as a keepsake of our cruise together.

In the afternoon I attended the Marriage Game which is always fun to watch, and Anthony, our Cruise Director is very good (as well as being easy on the eyes!) As always I also enjoyed chatting too many of the wonderful passengers that I have got to know onboard.

After dressing for supper I had to make my daily stop at the infirmary to have my heel cleaned and dressed. It is looking good, with no signs of infection.

My meal tonight was an appetizer of fresh fruit, vegetable puree soup, lasagne, followed by a wonderful ganache topped apricot chocolate cake. The coffee ice cream bombe (covered in chocolate) was also on the dessert list!

Tonight I’m off to listen to a pianist who is playing just about every kind of music. I’m really looking forward to it, as I envy anyone who can play the piano.

At Sea, Monday October 10th, 2011

I had a really good long sleep last night so feeling great this morning. For breakfast, in the lido, I decided to forego the bacon, eggs, and potatoes. I can have them anytime at home. HAL’s delicious pastries haven’t been marketed yet!! I had a couple of croissants with butter for myself, plus a danish and a raisin bun with butter for Ruth C. There was no freshly squeezed orange juice so I settled for pineapple juice and a cup of green tea.

Twenty one people turned up for the Meet & Greet in the Crow’s Nest. We had a great visit with some of us chatting until noon. Others had to leave to attend the Mariners lunch at 11:30am. Because of this we have rescheduled the slot pull and cabin crawl until tomorrow at 1pm. Most of the name tags were returned, but they still got a bookmark. J

I came back to the cabin to at least make a start on today’s report, and I’m glad I did. The Captain made an important announcement which I was able to hear. A crew member has become quite ill and we are heading full speed towards San Diego. The Captain wants to at least get closer into helicopter range in case the patient needs to be air lifted off. As a result we may be arriving into San Diego at around 10pm tomorrow night (Tuesday) instead of 7am Wednesday morning. If this happens, the Captain is looking into if we will be able to go ashore or not. He will update us on this situation in the morning.

I’m going to go for lunch, then I’ll cruise around for awhile. It will be interesting to see what I can find out. Can you imagine what some of the “complainers” aboard will be saying? I can! I’m sure there will be no thought of the poor patient!! No doubt the people who complained about the “calm Pacific” will have a hay day that God forbid our sea days will be shortened by approx. 9 hours!!

I’ll keep you posted.

At Sea, Sunday, Oct 9, 2011

I didn’t want to get up this morning, and have been dragging my feet all day. I think I’ve reached the point of just wanting to be home. You can now feel the temperature getting cooler each day as we get further away from Hawaii, and I’m not spending as much time on the back of the lido deck.

At 11:30am I attended the Mariner Lunch in the Rotterdam Dining Room. It was supposed to be in the lower area, but the 4th officer was directing us to the top floor. This was because there are so many Mariners aboard that the lower dining room was full, as well as half of the top level. There is also another Mariner Lunch tomorrow. There are many Canadians aboard and I have been told we make up 70% of the passengers. It is no doubt because the ship left from Vancouver. The meal was excellent. I had the cold fruit soup, the beef short ribs (which were very tender and tasty) followed by a key lime and white chocolate tart. Complimentary champagne was also served.

Afterwards I returned to my cabin for a short while to phone our Cruise Critic members. Our final Meet and Greet is scheduled for tomorrow morning at 10:30am, then we will do the slot pull and cabin crawl. We’ve had excellent turnouts to our prior events, so I’m sure tomorrow will be the same. I’ve asked everyone to return the plastic name tags which I purchased. In return they will receive a laminated commemorative coloured bookmark, as a keepsake of our cruise together.

In the afternoon I attended the Marriage Game which is always fun to watch, and Anthony, our Cruise Director is very good (as well as being easy on the eyes!) As always I also enjoyed chatting too many of the wonderful passengers that I have got to know onboard.

After dressing for supper I had to make my daily stop at the infirmary to have my heel cleaned and dressed. It is looking good, with no signs of infection.

My meal tonight was an appetizer of fresh fruit, vegetable puree soup, lasagne, followed by a wonderful ganache topped apricot chocolate cake. The coffee ice cream bombe (covered in chocolate) was also on the dessert list!

Tonight I’m off to listen to a pianist who is playing just about every kind of music. I’m really looking forward to it, as I envy anyone who can play the piano.

At Sea, Monday October 10th, 2011

I had a really good long sleep last night so feeling great this morning. For breakfast, in the lido, I decided to forego the bacon, eggs, and potatoes. I can have them anytime at home. HAL’s delicious pastries haven’t been marketed yet!! I had a couple of croissants with butter for myself, plus a danish and a raisin bun with butter for Ruth C. There was no freshly squeezed orange juice so I settled for pineapple juice and a cup of green tea.

Twenty one people turned up for the Meet & Greet in the Crow’s Nest. We had a great visit with some of us chatting until noon. Others had to leave to attend the Mariners lunch at 11:30am. Because of this we have rescheduled the slot pull and cabin crawl until tomorrow at 1pm. Most of the name tags were returned, but they still got a bookmark. J

I came back to the cabin to at least make a start on today’s report, and I’m glad I did. The Captain made an important announcement which I was able to hear. A crew member has become quite ill and we are heading full speed towards San Diego. The Captain wants to at least get closer into helicopter range in case the patient needs to be air lifted off. As a result we may be arriving into San Diego at around 10pm tomorrow night (Tuesday) instead of 7am Wednesday morning. If this happens, the Captain is looking into if we will be able to go ashore or not. He will update us on this situation in the morning.

I’m going to go for lunch, then I’ll cruise around for awhile. It will be interesting to see what I can find out. Can you imagine what some of the “complainers” aboard will be saying? I can! I’m sure there will be no thought of the poor patient!! No doubt the people who complained about the “calm Pacific” will have a hay day that God forbid our sea days will be shortened by approx. 9 hours!!

I’ll keep you posted.

Hi from a fellow Northerner--born in Southport, Lancs

Many thanks for all your efforts in making these postings--much appreciated, specially as I am booked for 30 days on the Zaandam out of Sydney on Dec 9

Seems that weather conditions have been causing problems everywhere-just returned from an RCL 9 day cruise out of Shanghai to Vladivostock and Japan--but Hakkaido area was expecting typhoon conditons--itny was changed--but luckily interestingly substituted

Here in Phuket heavy rains--though nothing compared to other parts of Thailand that are having severe flooding as is much of SE Asia

I can imagine how frustrating the wheelchair problems have been and hopefully HAL will make some appropriate compensation-also that your heel will soon be fully recovered

Incidentally, I had the great pleasure of sailing with Ruth C and her charming granddaughter on the Westerdam in the Med--a lovely lady !

Have a good journey home and do cruise again--a great and extremely easy way to see so many interesting places:)

Hi from me again - another fellow Lancastian/Northerner who will also be on the Zaandam on the 9th -- with a few 1000 others who will be on her in the next 3 months - who no doubt have been avidly folowing you on this Zaandam thread - and we all thank you for that :)

Over the last 6 months there have been a number of negative thoughts in that the Z seems a little tired. We know you have a few barnies with one or 2 two on the ship - not surprising really - and with a stiff upper lip.:rolleyes:

Food and dining aside - when you get home and take a breath - would you give us your thoughts on the ship in general - together with any tips you want to share - and I promise you pictures of a de luxe verandah suite - and a full video of the South Pacific cruise for future passengers.( and a picture of Daffodils to remind you of home):D:D:D

We've been on the Zaandam for the past 2+ weeks with Lindy and the other Zaandam Fru-Fru Cruisers, and want to say a HUUUUGE thank you to Lindy for organizing the Meet and Greet, and all the other activities, for our CC group. Unfortunately, the seas made the first M&G a little tough (cups and saucers flying across the Crow's Nest floor!! :eek:), but we had such a good time it didn't matter.

The high cost of internet on the ship stopped me from reading the daily postings - but I've gotten caught up today. Sorry, Lindy, that the tours didn't work out for you - but I'm hoping your perseverance will help others in the future.

Bill and I thought the Zaandam was a wonderful ship - we didn't notice any major problems, just some small things which would happen on any ship of its age. My personal feeling was that any small age spots were minimized by the amazing officers and crew - they all went out of their way to make us comfortable and happy.

Bill had an issue with his cane coming apart towards the end of the cruise. When he mentioned it to the Captain, he was told to bring it to the front desk and the maintenance department would try to fix it. Well, they did - and it's better than original!! To me, that kind of goodwill goes a long way.

Tonight I'll start to go through our over 2000 photos - and will enjoy reliving all the great moments on the Zaandam and in Hawaii!

Mahalo again Lindy - we're so glad we met, and hope to see you again!!

Laura and Bill

I have read your daily reports and I do thank you for taking the time to pen them. Unfortunately my experience with this vessel doesn't in the least coincide with yours. We had a superior veranda suite - the revolting smell of a combination of urine and vomit assailed us when we first entered the suite, it was absolutely disgusting. The sink in the bathroom was cracked, the grout in the bathroom tiles had through age disintegrated in many places. The advertized bathtub with jacuzzi was approximately three and a half feet in length and very narrow. The jacuzzi jets were rusted. I intend writing a full review so I won't bore you with the threadbare towels, ancient bedlinen, the splintered dressing table, tattered shower curtains, soiled chesterfield and carpet. Every attempt was made to rectify the obvious disgusting state of the suite by the management from powdering the rugs, sanding and wood filling the bureau damages to offering a free lunch in the Pinnacle Grill. We paid approximately the same amount for a lovely suite on the Osterdam and on the Zaandam spent as little time as possible in Motel 6 accommodation. I really feel that a visit by the department of health is long overdue for this vessel. The suite number was 6144. Ponte

I'm home!

Tired and happy to be back on firm ground.

I will complete my report and answer all questions over the weekend.!

"My personal feeling was that any small age spots were minimized by the amazing officers and crew - they all went out of their way to make us comfortable and happy."

I absolutely agree with Laura's statement above.

I'm home!

Tired and happy to be back on firm ground.

I will complete my report and answer all questions over the weekend.!

"My personal feeling was that any small age spots were minimized by the amazing officers and crew - they all went out of their way to make us comfortable and happy."

I absolutely agree with Laura's statement above.

I am glad you are home safe and sound. Thank you for your sharing the good and that which could have been better.

Himself

Hello, Lindy!

Just returned from a trip to Mexico and enjoyed reading your "live from".

We will be on the Volendam early next year, and I was eager to get information about a similar sized ship.

I really replied to your posts to let you know that we had a similar fine experience with Westjet. The cabin staff were wonderful to our travel companion who was taken ill on our return flight to Toronto from Mexico. I think that we will continue to make Westjet an airline of choice whenever possible!

Also, thank you on behalf of all cruisers who are physically challenged and use wheelchairs. I travelled with my Mom in a wheelchair for many cruises, and I know how frustrating it is to find a tour that will accommodate you. The need for cruise lines to step up to the plate when offering accessible excursions, and to ensure that their ships are wheelchair friendly is really important, and your insistence on relaying your disappointment to someone with authority is to be commended.

Cheers! Pictonite

How can the 2 small reviews - from two people - on the same ship - and same cruise - ie from Kplady and Ponte - be so far apart :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

(Superior ?/Deluxe Verandah suites start with 7 - thank goodness:D)

I do not wish to be confrontational, the accommodation one books is entirely subjective to ones needs. I pay more for a suite as we enjoy spending quality time alone with good books, pleasant surroundings, reasonably nice accoutrements and a somewhat spacious balcony. I do not fault, nor did I the choices made by the lady in the wheel chair who graciously wrote an exceptional revue. I feel that that HAL misrepresented the suite, their excuse was that unlike the Oosterdam this was an ancient ship and therefore not the same quality. As this is the case the prices surely should have reflected this and we would not have been subjected to such conditions because had we known this or had any inkling of he abysmal condition of the said suite we certainly would not have booked. I did not speak of the two room stewards as they were pleasant young men who cleaned the room and did their best. The staff at the front desk were polite and were extremely apologetic, this is their job. The repair man who spent an hour repairing a splintered bureau was also very polite and professional as were the crew that attempted to disguise the smell in the carpets by applying a deodorant powder. I omitted to say that I drove a splinter into my nail bed or that my husband gashed himself on the splinted bureau which necessitated a trip to the infirmary. The cracked sink was a health hazard and the management throwing sheets over a stained and soiled chesterfield did not in my opinion lessen the health hazard that assuredly was there. I will attempt to find out who in the health department deals with these unsanitary conditions and write to them. I am sorry if I have offended you, my purpose in writing was to alert anyone who may have booked this suite, I certainly had no intention of disagreeing with the very nice lady who wrote the revue. Ponte

How can the 2 small reviews - from two people - on the same ship - and same cruise - ie from Kplady and Ponte - be so far apart :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

(Superior ?/Deluxe Verandah suites start with 7 - thank goodness:D)

The difference in reviews may be because Ponte's posting was only about the suite. Not the ship in general, or the crew or itinerary. There seems to be an issue with that particular cabin.

Archived