Babies on cruises

travelprincess 123

Does anybody know if there is an age requirement for babies on cruises. I am looking to see if very young babies are permitted to go on cruise ships. Thank you for the information.

This information is on every cruise line's webpage. For most cruiselines, no children under six months old, must be 12 months old for South American/Hawaii cruises or transatlantics.

Here's a website that lists the minimum ages for each line. There is quite a difference.

I can't put the actual website on here because it's from a travel agency, but just Google "minimum age to cruise.........". It will take you to the site with every cruise line and their minimum age.

MSC has no minimum age, (but I suspect they would prefer you not deliver your baby while onboard...) EM

LOL! :D;).

I think the QM2 has an older age because of the illness reason on Transatlantics.

P&O provide a night nursery for babies to be left until late evening.

Jo.

Given the frequent incidences of the Norwalk virus onboard ALL ships, I'd be very reluctant to take an infant on a cruise. Check with your pediatrician and CDC.

We are taking our 6 month old on his first cruise when he is 9 months old on Carnival. Our pediatrician is very encouraging of this.

We took our 4 year old daughter on her first cruise when she was 15 months old. She did get a cold but that was because we did the Disney land and sea package and we had wet her hair to keep her cool from the heat at Disney World. However, the air conditioning combined with her wet hair caused a cold. The concierge at the Beach Club went to the pharmacy for us and picked up saline solution and a nasal bulb just in time before we boarded the bus to the ship. The beach actually made her feel better and we had a great cruise.

She did get a cold but that was because we did the Disney land and sea package and we had wet her hair to keep her cool from the heat at Disney World. However, the air conditioning combined with her wet hair caused a cold.

Colds are caused by a virus, not wet hair and air conditioning.

Let me first say that we have cruised twice with our children, but the youngest was five the first time. I also know that many cruise with younger children & are happy.

But I want to share that a family member brought their 1 & 2 year olds on our Disney cruise. We encouraged them NOT to--they had the availability of grandparents who would have loved to have those boys for a week. (I realize this is NOT always an option). Well, those boys were miserable all week--out of sorts being off schedule (tho they tried to keep them on) & sick all week. (even our 5YO picked up Norovirus--likely--that we all passed around once home) They did NOT have fun; had to tag team all week (tho there were 26 of us & we offered to watch the boys as relief to them).

Don't get me wrong--some don't have the option to not take the children. But I do want to caution you that this could be a very expensive miserable time.

Just recommending you consider delaying such a trip with a very young child, or have them stay with some doting relatives while you relax.

Again, neither may be an option--if not, I hope you have a lovely trip with your child & they are agreeable & healthy.

Archived