Use of MB Bathroom products is now Audited

NEOPHYTUS

Of course I know this. I just don't understand why there are people out there always like to act as cruiseline policeman or moral saint. After all we are all cc members, not cruiseline employees.

That's because some people forget this forum is named Cruise Critic and not

Cruise Cheerleader.

Received photo of the notice issued on the Seabourn Sojourn regarding the policy of replenishing the suites with bathroom amenities, (courtesy of the OP, scandun, "Running out of chocolate?".

Printed on one of those large type postcards with the Seabourn logo on the top, like the invites one receives for hosted tables, it reads:

Dear Seabourn Guests,

We are pleased to be able to provide fine Molton Brown well-being and beauty products for your onboard use while you are sailing with us. If you run out of any of the products simply leave the empty bottle on the sink counter and it will be replaced during the routine servicing of your suite.

Thank you for your cooperation.

The Management

Not for shower gel only, but all Molton Brown products such as shampoo,conditioner,body lotion,bubble baths ? How about the MB soap ? Does one have to leave the paper wrapper on the sink counter to get a replacement ?

A very petty move on a so-called luxury line charging some of the highest rates in the industry but a move indicative of the slow and steady erosion of once high standards.

If I find this notice in my suite during our upcoming cruise, will tear it into small pieces, place in an envelope with my name on it, address to Hotel Manager and drop off at purser's/reception desk.

Just out of interest, how many bottles of shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, bubble bath do you need at any one time? How many bars of soap?

There might always be larger problems in the world, but that fact, IMHO, does not preclude one from being unhappy or disappointed if he or she feels that something that they care about, like a luxury cruise vacation experience, is disappearing or going downhill. One of the things that makes this experience so magical is the intangible carefree feeling that one gets on a really good cruise from feeling so well taken care of, living in the lap of luxury, where the entire crew is working happily towards providing you pleasure, and little or nothing is denied to you. Sure, it is nothing like the real world, and few of us live that way at home. That is what makes it luxury cruising so special, and even if there are starving children in Africa, people here on cruise CRITIC nevertheless have the right to opine and to pine if they see the product that they love slipping away.

I don't think think that anyone has said that someone can't make a negative comment about the cruise line. But at the same time, that doesn't mean that others can't offer another view.

On this or some other thread someone said this is cruise critic and was implying this meant that items need to be negative. Well, a critical point could be negative but just like a critics view of a movie or a play it could also be positive.

If one doesn't want to have any push back to items they post, then they are best not to post.

Anytime any of us posts, whether positive, negative or neutral there will always be others who see this differently and often will express their own view.

The only opinion that counts in the end, is their own.

Keith

Push back is one thing, but stating to posters, as if it is the last word, that their concerns are trifling, or gauche, has the effect of suppressing discourse, rather than encouraging it, which, in my opinion, is the purpose of these boards.

We are fortunate that as long as our posts are consistent with the guidelines of Cruise Critic that we can all express our own views.

This means that someone can say its a big deal that the ship was low on chocolate or that they could only get one bottle at a time of a product while others can say that it's really no big deal.

I've read all of the posts on this and the other thread and I have yet to read one where someone has the last word. In fact, that is really not possible on Cruise Critic unless the thread is closed down.

Keith

Makes one wonder what's going on behind the scenes to drive down costs and fatten profits.

I would have to agree that in the scheme of things this could be considred a relatively minor blip in one's entire experience.

However, the standards on a high end experience are the details and how well they are presented and executed. I find it no coincidence that Holland America Cruises are Seabourn's managers/operators and we are now starting to see this cost cutting approach to operations. Seabourn's clients are not the typical Carnival Cruise Line brand customers, they are the exception. They demand and expect much more for the money. I say with great disappointment this will not be the last of the penny pinching policies implemented by Holland America via Carnival for Seabourn.

H&W you are correct! Except for Carnival.

It is pure HAL bean counter.

Carnival actually boosted their brand while cutting away at HAL.

Those of you who say no big deal, think again. They gutted a 5-star line over the years and they'll do the same to Seabourn unless you speak up.

It's the little things that seperate a St. Regis from say a Hyatt.

They'll curtail bar hours, switch to cheaper brands of liquor and scale back menus. Anything to squeeze a dime out of a buck.

HOWEVER Holland America is not in charge of Silversea and Regent where there are also complaints of cutbacks. It's an industrywide situation including five star hotels. I know people who complained that the Four Seasons in London is no longer placing mineral water on the night stands during turndown.

I know people who complained that the Four Seasons in London is no longer placing mineral water on the night stands during turndown.

People who live in London drink tap water which has regularly been proven in several chemical anayses to be better in health-enhancing properties, mineral resources (and taste) than any bottled water.

People who live in London drink tap water which has regularly been proven in several chemical anayses to be better in health-enhancing properties, mineral resources (and taste) than any bottled water.

But has it, as they say, 'been passed by the management'? ;)

And above all it is free ( almost). That appeals , given my Yorkshire upbringing. However, be aware that much of the water is extracted from the River Thames and as a consequence may have been through a few kidneys before it reaches the tap.

HOWEVER Holland America is not in charge of Silversea and Regent where there are also complaints of cutbacks. It's an industrywide situation including five star hotels. I know people who complained that the Four Seasons in London is no longer placing mineral water on the night stands during turndown.

It's called a glut of luxury capacity (three new Seabourn ships and one new Silversea ship) at the same time there is a world wide economic slowdown.

What is interesting about this thread is that the bath products have not been eliminated just that they are trying to avoid extras costs from them walking off the ship. The easy thing would have been to have just gone to another product that was less expensive. But they didn't do that which is good news.

For those who do think this is unique walk into any Ritz Carlton Hotel. You used to see those mammoth flower displays in the lobby area that were changed out often. Now you see a very modest display. Also,on the club floor look at what is being served today versus five or more years ago. Used to be large bowls of caviar were available for cocktails in the evening. For now, those days are gone.

I still think this is a nit in the scheme of things but obviously there are some who think this means a great deal. I also think it's unfortunate that some people take home items such as this. In the end, we all pay for this as we do when other things go missing. Ask the crew and you will hear a lot of stories of what disappears from ships. Folks wouldn't believe what disappears. Or maybe some would.

Keith

As someone who likes sparkling water, I'd be very worried if it came out of a London tap fizzing :)

However, be aware that much of the water is extracted from the River Thames and as a consequence may have been through a few kidneys before it reaches the tap.

That would be a selling point for vodka producers ... triple distilled!

But I am in agreement with Roxburgh. Empty it and it will be replenished. If the stewardess (or "The Management") is not providing an adequate supply of toiletries to complete a proper cleansing of all in the suite prior to the next housekeeping service, why not leave a short note on the bed with your expectation/request? I doubt Seabourn would be willing to upset a valued client over a 49¢ mini-bottle of body wash.

HOWEVER Holland America is not in charge of Silversea and Regent where there are also complaints of cutbacks.

True, but the issue is Holland America in charge of Seabourn is like a Sheraton operating/managing a Ritz Carlton..seeing and feeling the differences are inevitable.

Even Carnival's Cunard has had P&O and Princess invovled in varying degrees of Cunard's operations for years and the end results have been blarringly clear.

True, but the issue is Holland America in charge of Seabourn is like a Sheraton operating/managing a Ritz Carlton..seeing and feeling the differences are inevitable.

Even Carnival's Cunard has had P&O and Princess invovled in varying degrees of Cunard's operations for years and the end results have been blarringly clear.

Actually, Ritz Carlton is a subsidiary of Marriott. But when one steps into a Ritz Carlton I don't think they think Marriott.

The irony to all of this is that Seabourn was bought in the first place by Carnival. There were those back then who said it would all go down hill In fact, if it was not bought it may not have been around today.

Keith

I am certainly no Seabourn expert with only one Spirit cruise (which I enjoyed immensely) but this thread is sadly reminiscent of earlier threads on Cunard, Princess, HAL, et al. I understand economics but the slow cheapening by a thousand little cuts is what happened to GM and hundreds of extinct companies. Just look at the airlines.:eek: The airlines do have an edge, in many ways they are necessary. Cruise lines are not truly necessary. (Ok, some times you just have to have one):D. I, like many of you, hope Seabourn will resist this ultimately doomed philosophy of cut, cut, cut.

Archived