Use of MB Bathroom products is now Audited

NEOPHYTUS

I am still trying to work out what is being cut here? They give you MB products and replenish them when they are empty.

Is it the extras that some people wish to steal that are being cut? Is that where the problem is?

I am still trying to work out what is being cut here? They give you MB products and replenish them when they are empty.

Is it the extras that some people wish to steal that are being cut? Is that where the problem is?

Hi Rox. I agree with you, when we were on board there were no particular issues to us but what I was saying is that I have seen these threads before and where there is smoke, usually fire is discovered eventually. In days past, the Seabourn boards were all about how much fun was had on this sister or that sister. Now it seems to be that more and more people have real or perceived experiences of some lessening of quality. Did not want to give the impression that I felt that way but I have not been aboard recently.

J.

Hi Rox. I agree with you, when we were on board there were no particular issues to us but what I was saying is that I have seen these threads before and where there is smoke, usually fire is discovered eventually. In days past, the Seabourn boards were all about how much fun was had on this sister or that sister. Now it seems to be that more and more people have real or perceived experiences of some lessening of quality. Did not want to give the impression that I felt that way but I have not been aboard recently.

J.

Hi Jim, I was with you on The Spirit last year & it was a mighty fine cruise! We've just come off The Odyssey (Venice-Athens) with another couple we met last year & to be honest we were all disappointed with certain aspects of this holiday, as were many of our fellow passengers, some seasoned Seabourners, others not. I have no wish to put any future passenger off what is already booked or being considered, we still had a great time, but I would like to offer an honest review of how a year has changed certain things & I hope the following is taken in the spirit (no pun) it is intended: Positves first as always :

Staff are still the forte & linchpin of the line - can only praise their dedication, cheerfull disposition & eagerness to please in every department- joy of joys Sean from Spirit Sky Bar now in the Club Bar of The Odyssey which made for some great nights. As did Nick Hale (Cruise Director) & his team, a great bunch of people, all worthy of a 10/10 on the customer questionaire & in our mind, one of the best teams at sea. Rock the Boat was a memorable night, plus his greeting everyone at the end of the gangway as we left (with the Captain) was a lovely touch. Kudos for that.

Now the not so goods echoing what has been mentioned on this thread & a few recent others & for us in contrast to last year;

Yes - rationing of bathroom products - no big deal for me as use my own, but can see the irratation. Yes, rationing of chocs,( but maybe my husband got there before me!) but again no big deal for me but can understand the points made about dilution of a luxury product/expectation of standards from previous trips & can only agree.

Personally I missed the caviar/smoked salmon canapes when we pulled out of Venice - bit of a cheap Sailaway in my eyes - shame as Venice a wonderous place to leave - band only played for 10/15 mins max, then that was it -finito - Kotor sailaway did have a few canapes but by then our now enlarged party was pretty bedded down as SkyBar regulars so we may have been lucky?

Nuts,picks,cookies etc so evident last year around the bars had now gone, & pre dinner canapes now offered on a plate 2 per person, thats it for the night, as opposed to trayed up last year & rotating.

Only fresh flower anywhere on board was the rose offered in the cabin on formal night - personally do not like plastic displays on dinner tables, would rather have a tea light/petals but maybe that's me.Seabourn Square is such a nice space, a couple of displays there or at the restaurant entrance would have been appreciated.

Biggest disapointment - the food - last year good this year -bland, repetitive, no real choice. This was echoed ship wide so it is not a subjective view - real shame, time to engage a new consultant maybe?? This went for every eating venue - we tried them all including room service - highlight for many was eating off the ship whilst docked, so this does say it all. Often items were not available (one day no tomatoes at all on the buffet lunch -sorry we don't have any when asked) & I can only echo what has been said regarding the wines. No possible option of eating off menu for a special occassion despite asking 5 days in advance, shame, it's what people rave about on here, cutbacks again & MDR closed all day, just dinner service 7.30-9pm SHARP!

Don't get me wrong, company we were with, passengers we met (wonderful) staff (10/10) officers same, made for a great time nonetheless, but I do agree, penny pinching has arrived - I thought Seabourn had a differencial - maybe not anymore - but as others have said - the only opinion to matter is your own, so enjoy in your own way & make the best of everything on offer.

I just hope the new powers that be read these forums for everone's views - last year we instantly laid down our dollars for this year - we didn't bother this year & have come home to do our research for alternatives for 2012. Such is life, such is business in these austere times.

Happy & safe sailing all.

I have never sailed SB but am booked to do so. I am sorry to learn of all of these cutbacks, even in this economy. I would be quite unhappy rotating one bar of soap from sink to shower to tub and no, I don't wish to take it home. Most restaurants have some munchies at the bar, so I wouldn't find their absence consistent w. luxury hotel or cruise ship either. Unfortunately, these negative comments, including re:the wines currently being offered ,are appearing with some frequency and by SB fans. I was very concerned w. your comments re: the food as you seem like a positive person.

Am I reading your post accurately? Is the MDR closed everyday at lunch? Breakfast? Are special orders accepted/honored? Are their plastic/faux flowers on the dinner table? Has the menu changed from last year or only the preparation/taste/quality?

The contrast between soc1965's review here and Margbem's recent post from the Spirit is astonishing.

Are the little sisters where the true Seabourn 'spirit' is to be found while the big girls are being pitched closer towards the 'mass-market'?

Presumably maintaining the level of service that one gets with 200 passengers is twice as hard with 400.

The contrast between soc1965's review here and Margbem's recent post from the Spirit is astonishing.

Are the little sisters where the true Seabourn 'spirit' is to be found while the big girls are being pitched closer towards the 'mass-market'?

Presumably maintaining the level of service that one gets with 200 passengers is twice as hard with 400.

From a staffing level, the ratio of crew to passengers is almost identical. Small ships, 164 crew-208 pax, Big ships 335-450 which are advertised maximums. What ratio Seabourn staffs at in relation to varying pax loads though may differ, so maybe some cruises may actually have a higher ratio and others less. However, one would think, (assuming the ratio is equal on small and large), maintaining the level of service would be easier on the new ships due to design, technology,less maintenance, and all the other enhancements in place for the crew.

I have never sailed SB but am booked to do so. I am sorry to learn of all of these cutbacks, even in this economy. I would be quite unhappy rotating one bar of soap from sink to shower to tub and no, I don't wish to take it home. Most restaurants have some munchies at the bar, so I wouldn't find their absence consistent w. luxury hotel or cruise ship either. Unfortunately, these negative comments, including re:the wines currently being offered ,are appearing with some frequency and by SB fans. I was very concerned w. your comments re: the food as you seem like a positive person.

Am I reading your post accurately? Is the MDR closed everyday at lunch? Breakfast? Are special orders accepted/honored? Are their plastic/faux flowers on the dinner table? Has the menu changed from last year or only the preparation/taste/quality?

Whist on our trip the MDR was closed every day for both breakfast & lunch which was a shame as we like to have a formal lunch sometimes & eat small in the evening & some fellow passengers looked forward to a hearty breakfast & aimed to skip lunch, so no option there. The Colonade opened for breakfast & lunch buffet style (with limited options on table service) & offered a themed dinner each evening which was served to you. The Patio Grill opened for lunch each day & a couple of evenings for informal fare.

Yes, faux flowers on dinner table - an orchid type arrangement in a small square glass vase with that 'rubbery water' in the bottom. I certainly did not notice any candles not even on formal night or chefs dinner but that may be a H&S issue.

The menus have changed since last year when diners were encouraged to have an entre, salad, main course, cheese (perhaps) & dessert by way of how the actual menu was presented - now a somewhat limited choice on paper & some very strange combinations; e.g. we ordered a grilled fish dish which was presented with fried crispy bacon on the top?? We couldn't get to eat off menu - to be fair we had many days at anchor when perhaps supplies were harder to get - but last year was not a problem. There was certainly no evidence of the flambe & other treats often mentioned on here & dare I say NO ONION RINGS! Service from the galley often slow with sorbet (not requested) being served mid meal in order to cover up waiting time. The floor staff were frequently rattled so I am assuming that more experienced kitchen staff have been transfered to The Quest maybe? I'm also sorry to say that quality has gone down & I think that many dishes were cook/chill/re-heat in blaster affairs which does drain the taste. Best dish in a week? Parsnip soup from chef's dinner menu - no complaints from anyone!

I can only agree with you. The biggies are being pitched to an entirely different market e.g. groups - which did not please the seasoned Seabourners on board as many facilities (The Club Bar for one) opened late because they had private get togethers. Others bemoaned the lack of dress sense amongst some passengers which all scream mass market. Word amongst staff was that the little sisters will be gone in a few years, sad because they uphold a traditional style of cruising which one is happy to pay for - I'll try one of the little 'uns again, but not the biggies.

From a staffing level, the ratio of crew to passengers is almost identical. Small ships, 164 crew-208 pax, Big ships 335-450 which are advertised maximums. What ratio Seabourn staffs at in relation to varying pax loads though may differ, so maybe some cruises may actually have a higher ratio and others less. However, one would think, (assuming the ratio is equal on small and large), maintaining the level of service would be easier on the new ships due to design, technology,less maintenance, and all the other enhancements in place for the crew.

As I said in my review, I honestly don't think it's the service levels from the staff that are at fault - they were as good as ever & always aimed to please - it's what they are being given to work with from the back room that causes the shortfall. The penny pinching is taking its toll on them as well as the passengers & running around after demanding groups does not help them either.

I can only agree with you. The biggies are being pitched to an entirely different market e.g. groups - which did not please the seasoned Seabourners on board as many facilities (The Club Bar for one) opened late because they had private get togethers. Others bemoaned the lack of dress sense amongst some passengers which all scream mass market. Word amongst staff was that the little sisters will be gone in a few years, sad because they uphold a traditional style of cruising which one is happy to pay for - I'll try one of the little 'uns again, but not the biggies.

I have cruised on all three of the larger ships and my experience was quite different to yours. Only on one of those cruises did we have a 'group' (actually two) and they were quite small and unobtrusive. On no occasion was the Club closed for a private get together and I did not notice any significant difference in dress sense when compared to the triplets.

I have heard that sometimes the MDR is closed for lunch on port days and that has been amply discussed on here. Suffice to say that was not the case on any of my cruises. My main gripe on the last cruise was that the Patio Grill filled up too quickly in the evening so you had to get there early to avoid disappointment.

I have the same comments with regard to drinks, chocolate and toiletries. I have never noticed a shortage or 'rationing' of any of them. In my experience, if you need something then you just ask for it and then you get it. Not so hard really! I do agree that the house wines are not 'fine', but that was also the case before the bigger ships came along.

If anything, I would suggest it is the triplets that are aimed at a mass market given the prevalence of seven day cruises on those ships. Personally, I prefer the bigger ships because they offer better facilities, more choice of restaurants and bars, more public space, a better gym and suites with verandas. Also, and unlike the triplets, they are big enough that you can generally avoid obnoxious people or groups.

I have cruised on all three of the larger ships and my experience was quite different to yours. Only on one of those cruises did we have a 'group' (actually two) and they were quite small and unobtrusive. On no occasion was the Club closed for a private get together and I did not notice any significant difference in dress sense when compared to the triplets.

I have heard that sometimes the MDR is closed for lunch on port days and that has been amply discussed on here. Suffice to say that was not the case on any of my cruises. My main gripe on the last cruise was that the Patio Grill filled up too quickly in the evening so you had to get there early to avoid disappointment.

I have the same comments with regard to drinks, chocolate and toiletries. I have never noticed a shortage or 'rationing' of any of them. In my experience, if you need something then you just ask for it and then you get it. Not so hard really! I do agree that the house wines are not 'fine', but that was also the case before the bigger ships came along.

If anything, I would suggest it is the triplets that are aimed at a mass market given the prevalence of seven day cruises on those ships. Personally, I prefer the bigger ships because they offer better facilities, more choice of restaurants and bars, more public space, a better gym and suites with verandas. Also, and unlike the triplets, they are big enough that you can generally avoid obnoxious people or groups.

One can only comment with honesty as they find - as I said, 'rationing' was not a problem for me as I am very independent in what I wish to wash with & indeed eat after dinner in terms of treats. I'm also old enough & ugly enough to ask for what I want when I want it! (sorry English humor here)

I do appreciate that customer mix & profiles will obviously differ according to time of year/circumstances of market forces etc. Nothing remains the same.

Agree with you that the size of the bigger ships/facilites/bars/gym/spa (wonderful spa/treatments & staff which I didn't mention) are a plus. I just found The Spirit more in keeping with a luxury holiday. Personal view & to each their own.

As for escaping the groups on a larger ship - it is a little difficult when group of 30/40 guests ask for a full room service breakfast at 11/11.30 am to be served around the pool area - I did feel for the staff, especially as it was a staff life boat drill day & skeleton staff were in place - they deserved a medal the way they coped.

I don't wish to deter anyone from trying the Seabourn experience, I want to be honest enough to give unbiased views as I alone see them & I certainly do not speak directly for anyone else or their experience, which I agree could well be different from my own depending on which voyage they were on.

As for escaping the groups on a larger ship - it is a little difficult when group of 30/40 guests ask for a full room service breakfast at 11/11.30 am to be served around the pool area

Was under the firm impression, (informed by several guests who requested such), that room service was strictly reserved for suite consumption.

Wonder if a couple or solo guest would be similarly accommodated.

As for escaping the groups on a larger ship - it is a little difficult when group of 30/40 guests ask for a full room service breakfast at 11/11.30 am to be served around the pool area

Was under the firm impression, (informed by several guests who requested such), that room service was strictly reserved for suite consumption.

Wonder if a couple or solo guest would be similarly accommodated.

Can only say what I saw on tables next to us around pool area whilst we were busy with Sudoko & friends in the whirlpool - mass delivery of scrambled eggs etc under (plastic) cloches, orange juice, pastries/butters/jams & coffees on other trays - sorry if I misunderstood this as being room service but certainly did not see this as being offered elsewhere at this time & patio grill never open much before 12.30ish. Maybe they had a concession as part of their deal? However, having said that, a group of Northern European guests had regular afternoon delivery of prawn (shrimps) & trimmings so I guess as other posters have suggested - just ask & you get!

I do not think that the triplets are the ones being marketed to groups or younger demographics. Most cruises during the summer months (on all lux lines) are now seven days. BUt it's the larger SB ships that are converting the card rooms to childrens' activity rooms and the larger ships that younger demographics are attracted to, not the triplets. As for ratio of staff to crew it's not only the number of staff, it's the quality and experience that make the difference.

I have heard that sometimes the MDR is closed for lunch on port days and that has been amply discussed on here. Suffice to say that was not the case on any of my cruises. .

We have found that on our last Quest cruise, September, the MDR was NOT open at all for breakfast and Lunch. On our Sojourn cruise, April, the MDR was open one day at lunch for the Galley Market Lunch.

LEESRE

Thank you for your informative post. There seem to be a wide variety of experiences being detailed. These are 2 recent cruises and on two of the ships. Was there any indication that this now was the policy?

Not sure if this is now policy on the larger yachts but will soon find out as we are due to sail on Odyssey.

Regarding room service on deck -- on our August cruise on the Pride we returned from our 12 mile Flam hike tired, hungry and too late for lunch. Since it was a nice day we really did not want to order in our suite. So when we were ordering our champagne at the Sky Bar from Nelson I asked if it were true that all we could order was caviar. He said no, all we needed to do was give him our suite number and he then placed the order for our burgers and they were delivered to us on deck. Don't know if they made a special exception or ir this was just the wonderful Nelson going out of his way to accomodate us or if in fact nothing has changed from the old days. can't speak to the larger ships -- will try this on our December cruise on the Quest.

And this really brings me to the issue of what is really the source of frustration recently expressed by so many of us on this board. It is not so much that we are upset about "change" it is that often many of these changes are unevenly put into practice and thus you never know what to expect. Warts and all I am still very much a Seabourn loyalist but I guess i like many would like to know what to expect.

or if this was just the wonderful Nelson going out of his way to accomodate us

You are well aware that all you have to do, Chairsin, is flutter your eyelids and they swoon at your feet and rush to satisfy your every whim! We just watched with envy.

or if this was just the wonderful Nelson going out of his way to accomodate us

You are well aware that all you have to do, Chairsin, is flutter your eyelids and they swoon at your feet and rush to satisfy your every whim! We just watched with envy.

My wife says her eyelids only twitch. She doesn't think they ever fluttered.

>"he Onboard Booking Savings program is a good deal with minimal risk. You pay the $500 now, ( are you sure it's $500 per person and not per suite/booking ?), and have up to two years to book a Seabourn cruise and get a 5% discount taken off the price of your cruise fare as well as the $500 being deducted from your final price If you don't book a Seabourn cruise , you then request a refund for the full amount BEFORE the two years expire."

THe deposit is per person and the length of time it is usable is 4 years now, according to the Cruise Specialist Pierre on the Sojourn.

THe MDR was never closed on my recent TA, even on port days. I was informed it would not be closed at all. I wonder if this was a policy indicated by the potentially inclement weather, of which we had a generous share.

Excuse me, that would be "susceptible."Don't want the CC spelling monitors coming after me.

Are you referring to "monitors" of the genus veranus, characterised by long necks,powerful claws and thick skins? If so watch out, they can move very fast.

Archived