Use of MB Bathroom products is now Audited

NEOPHYTUS

Received photo of the notice issued on the Seabourn Sojourn regarding the policy of replenishing the suites with bathroom amenities, (courtesy of the OP, scandun, "Running out of chocolate?".

Printed on one of those large type postcards with the Seabourn logo on the top, like the invites one receives for hosted tables, it reads:

Dear Seabourn Guests,

We are pleased to be able to provide fine Molton Brown well-being and beauty products for your onboard use while you are sailing with us. If you run out of any of the products simply leave the empty bottle on the sink counter and it will be replaced during the routine servicing of your suite.

Thank you for your cooperation.

The Management

Not for shower gel only, but all Molton Brown products such as shampoo,conditioner,body lotion,bubble baths ? How about the MB soap ? Does one have to leave the paper wrapper on the sink counter to get a replacement ?

A very petty move on a so-called luxury line charging some of the highest rates in the industry but a move indicative of the slow and steady erosion of once high standards.

If I find this notice in my suite during our upcoming cruise, will tear it into small pieces, place in an envelope with my name on it, address to Hotel Manager and drop off at purser's/reception desk.

Horrible! Obvious solution - empty the half used gels down the sink to get more. Unless you need more than one bottle for two of you at a time. And hide the soap and put the paper on the sink also. This will cost Seabourn more, and is a waste, but they deserve it.

Do passengers hoard these little bottles to take home perhaps? Could this be the reason for the parsimony? I know some unsophisticated types do this in hotels, but would have thought Seabourn passengers above this sort of thing. Molton Brown is not that wonderful, after all.

What next?

A deposit on the bath plug?

In most good hotels a fresh bath gel/shampoo is usually placed in the bathroom if the original is only half or quarter empty. Sometimes the partially used container is removed and preplaced by a new one. One can only assume that many passengers are hoarding the freebies.

This is what happens when you start to appeal to people who don't have jackets, or want to eat breakfast in their vests, or don't wear underpants, or want the world to share in their adorable little offspring's screaming fits.

What next?

A deposit on the bath plug?

In most good hotels a fresh bath gel/shampoo is usually placed in the bathroom if the original is only half or quarter empty. Sometimes the partially used container is removed and preplaced by a new one. One can only assume that many passengers are hoarding the freebies.

This is what happens when you start to appeal to people who don't have jackets, or want to eat breakfast in their vests, or don't wear underpants, or want the world to share in their adorable little offspring's screaming fits.

Flamin June,

Like the way you think.

What next ?

Makes one wonder what's going on behind the scenes to drive down costs and fatten profits...things passengers can't see, in particular, provisioning of foodstuffs, basic ingredients, cuts and quality of meats, seafood, etc.

You previously posted that a nit can start looking like a large cockroach. Fear is when there is one cockroach there's usually more hiding about.

Hopefully I'm proven wrong.

Yes, Neophytus

I hope you and I are both proven wrong.

The thing is that my previous experience on SB was so good that any lowering of the bar is disappointing and worrying. However high the bar was set, that was one of the reasons that persuaded me to invest a fairly hefty sum in repeating the experience. I don't want to find a diluted/downgraded version.

Over the course of my travels I have found that it is the little things that really count and can make an experience memorable. Take away the little things and you are just left with ordinary.

At least there is still the fantastic staff - but when they are being tasked with withholding rather than offering then that staff/guest relationship changes in a subtle way.

I have seen other establishments - hotels, restaurants, airlines, - 'go downhill'. I would hate to see SB go the same way.

Do passengers hoard these little bottles to take home perhaps? Could this be the reason for the parsimony? I know some unsophisticated types do this in hotels, but would have thought Seabourn passengers above this sort of thing. Molton Brown is not that wonderful, after all.

This debate all started on an earlier thread where the OP stated: "I don't mind telling you this: like Tony who brings back chocolate, we have extra molton brown body lotion etc that we like to bring home".....

I was once on a crossing where they ran out of Hermes products after six days because two couples (traveling together) requested new ones twice a day and filled their suitcases with them. There are greedy people out there who take advantage, even on Seabourn.

Funny-on our Regent cruise last Nov/Dec we actually had to ask our cabin stewardess not to leave any more of some of the products(they were Hermes) because she would leave them if the bottles were even just barely used-unfortunately only my wife is in need of shampoo !).

We are trying Seabourn for the first time from BA to SA on the Sojourn in Nov (cancelled Regent from Dubai to Athens next March due to turmoil in that part of the world and cancelled ports in Egypt ) and are hoping to ahve similar 1st class treatment on Seabourn.

We board the Sojourn for 43 days on the 9th October and I will keep you all up to date on the chocolate/Molton Brown situation. Does anyone know if this policy has been implemented across all the ships? Could it possibly be a mess up in ordering and they are simply running out? I would have thought that if they were going to cut back on these products they would have first cut back on the 7 day cruises in the Med (which are being heavily discounted) rather than on the longer cruises. We were on board the Odyssey in February and we ran very low on wine due to a delivery not making it to the port on time. Our friends were on the Sojourn earlier this month and did not mention rationing of any kind. I will report back once on board.

I remain positive but will post an honest review when we return from our cruise. We have been sailing Seabourn for many years and have noticed the small cut backs that have taken place. We do like the wonderful deals they are offering at the moment but to be honest we would prefer to pay more and keep the great product that we sail on Seabourn for. We understand that Seabourn has more berths to sell and they are discounting to entice new guests to Seabourn but they have such a loyal following of repeat passengers who know what has been cut back that they must be careful not push these passenger to other luxury lines because of the cut backs. We cruised on Silverseas last year but find Seabourn fits us better but we are not so loyal that if the Seabourn product does not meet our expectations we would not try another line. Our cruise on the Odyssey in February was one of the best we have experienced, both in service and food and entertainment and I'm hoping to say the same of our cruise in October.

I believe that Clarky's final sentence says it all when Clarky said that the most recent cruise on the Odyssey was one of the best cruises to date.

Nowhere have I read that Chocolate was being cut because of costs. My view is that people both in fun and in a few in serious posts are making a mountain out of a molehill. From time to time ships do run out of an item. I always think it is amazing that this happens far less than one would imagine given the array of items that must be stocked on board and the challenges of getting each and every item through customs. Do people really think that the cruise line is cutting back if they run out of strawberries on a sailing?

As to the soap, if one pulls back a little is it really that big a deal that they have implemented this change. Personally, I think the people who might be impacted the most might be those who are taking extra items home.

The title of this thread in my humble opinion is also making a mountain out of a molehill and if one is not taking any of these items home with them I am wondering what the big deal is to leave the empty bottle on the top of the counter rather than placing it in the trash.

For those whose bottle is running low and are concerned they will run out of it before the next one arrives I am sure they can just leave a note for their stewardess to bring the next one.

If in the end, this is the biggest complaint that people have about Seabourn, then overall Seabourn must be doing a great job because there are much more important things to be concerned about when someone cruises.

Anyway, to each his/her own but given the challenges that most people around the world are experiencing these days if having to place the bottle on the counter is ones biggest inconvenience on their luxurious cruise then life must be darn good.

When one cruises they can either focus on the 95%+ of things that are very positive or waste time to focus on a couple of very trivial items.

There is a saying that if you want to have a wonderful cruise you will and if you want to have a less than wonderful cruise you will. We tend to focus on having the best cruise possible and that means not letting something as trivial as this item and the one on chocolates bother us. After all, those of us who have both the financial means and the health required to sail on a luxury cruise line in my humble opinion have a lot to be thankful for.

Keith

I was once on a crossing where they ran out of Hermes products after six days because two couples (traveling together) requested new ones twice a day and filled their suitcases with them. There are greedy people out there who take advantage, even on Seabourn.

I plead guilty to taking home our two really nice soaps - Hermes and Occitane, but have never dreamed of asking for more, and am surprised to hear that Seabourn have in the past replaced them for people!

Also, Marja, you are right, it is time we all (including me) shut up about this subject.

Oh but wait, there is attached a pc of paper which is the Future Cruise Deposit Request Form. Today is the deadline, shall I make deposit or not ? Teach me what to do please, there are so many good teachers here I know.

What is the amount requested $500 USD or $1,000 USD ?

I think Keith makes a very valid point. In my near 10 cruises on Celebrity, Regent, Silversea and Seabourn I have never come away disappointed. I expect my upcoming 28 days on Legend to be excellent. In some senses the Cruise Critic experience is very different from the cruise experience itself. Maybe it is human nature to emphasize the extremes, both good and bad.

Ultimately all of us have high expectations and are paying a lot for the experience. It is right that if there are significant failures we draw them to the attention of someone who can fix them. However, I am determined not to let them take away from the overall absolute pleasure and privilege of cruising on Seabourn or any other line.

What is the amount requested $500 USD or $1,000 USD ?

It is 500 usd per person. But you know, I cancelled with Crystal to go onboard this Seabourn cruise hoping for a unique experience. If I should make deposit with Seabourn, I must cancel again with Crystal, as I do not have that many funds for luxury cruises. I will be very guilty by Crystal.

Many of calling Seabourn petty, nitpicking, cheap, etc. In reality, I think it may the other way around.

Has anyone come back and said they had any issues getting refills, or more soap, etc?

The little notice they put there is their subtle way of saying "please do not fill your suitcase with this stuff - okay?"

Yes, people do pack it away. And I would not be surprised if some do it more than once a day.

We booked this cruise almost a year ahead, and the price had been going up 2 or 3 times afterwards. It went up almost 25% ( ie at least 1000 usd per person ). If we talk about greed or taking advantage of anything, who can be more greedy than this ?

It is 500 usd per person. But you know, I cancelled with Crystal to go onboard this Seabourn cruise hoping for a unique experience. If I should make deposit with Seabourn, I must cancel again with Crystal, as I do not have that many funds for luxury cruises. I will be very guilty by Crystal.

scandun,

the Onboard Booking Savings program is a good deal with minimal risk. You pay the $500 now, ( are you sure it's $500 per person and not per suite/booking ?), and have up to two years to book a Seabourn cruise and get a 5% discount taken off the price of your cruise fare as well as the $500 being deducted from your final price If you don't book a Seabourn cruise , you then request a refund for the full amount BEFORE the two years expire. On my last cruise, I did it twice.

We booked this cruise almost a year ahead, and the price had been going up 2 or 3 times afterwards. It went up almost 25% ( ie at least 1000 usd per person ). If we talk about greed or taking advantage of anything, who can be more greedy than this ?

Depends on the cruise, supply and demand..airlines do it as standard practice. Depending on flexibility and ability to act quickly there are many Seabourn cruises that have price reductions the closer to sail date.

Depends on the cruise, supply and demand..airlines do it as standard practice. Depending on flexibility and ability to act quickly there are many Seabourn cruises that have price reductions the closer to sail date.

Of course I know this. I just don't understand why there are people out there always like to act as cruiseline policeman or moral saint. After all we are all cc members, not cruiseline employees.

Archived