Best Piano Entertainer on Carnival? (Part 2)

CC Help Jenn

Sailed with Ben on the Breeze in Oct. what a great entertainer! This was our 13th Carnival Cruise and the very first time we spent any time in the PB. I will be going back based upon the great time we had on the Breeze. It also helped that Carnival put the PB in a better location on that class of ship.

Ben really gets the crowd involved, keeps the glasses full and the bar hoppin. Lots of pros, great song list and good interaction. It appears he loves his job!

Think Ben is the best they have right now. Excellent.

I'll take a look at my Fun Times and see who he was. I have to say the passangers on this cruise were the best and the most fun we have ever sailed with.....could be a factor?

Not sure who they have listed in the Fun times, as we got on on the 14th and they had the wrong guy listed.

We got people in for ours but we had to teach everyone the 'piano bar' versions of songs... so lots of newbies,

Would love to hear more about your time in there tho, as i did not consider ours 'rockin', tho we tried our best to get the crowd motivated.:cool:

We loved Tonya on the Splendor. Granted there are some songs people requested that she didn't know, but she was certainly willing to give anything a go that she had the sheet music for on her iPad. For someone so teeny she has one heck of a voice and she's very good at getting everyone to participate. She's very funny too - someone above said spacey, but I think she's just ditzy in a cute way. All in all, she reminds me a lot of Kristin Chenoweth actually.

If you're going to be sitting "at the bar", you should be participating in the process by drinking and singing and possibly requesting songs and if warranted, tipping the piano bar player.

What you're not supposed to do is ignore the piano bar player and engage in loud conversation during a song. The more that the audience participates in the process, the better the show is. Some of the players are really good at engaging the audience and this results in an evening of great entertainment. Because of this they have a large, loyal following, like Ron Pass and on our Breeze cruise with him seats at the bar were hard to come by and he put on a whale of a show.

Well said! Audience participation is key, a group of fun loving piano bar junkies can make the experience awesome. In reality most piano bar talent is average, participants make or break the piano bar experience for a cruise. Laugh, smile, sing, have a good time and encourage others to do the same.

I'm on board the sunshine for the New Years Cruise. Gary is in the piano bar (I missed his last name.) He's new to carnival and comes from a dueling piano bar background so really engages the audience . The place has been "rockin" both nights so far. Lots of fun.

You can read about my the whole cruise in my "live from... ". Here's the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1961668

Bob

Searching for Kokomo

Sailed with Ben on the Breeze in Oct. what a great entertainer! This was our 13th Carnival Cruise and the very first time we spent any time in the PB. I will be going back based upon the great time we had on the Breeze. It also helped that Carnival put the PB in a better location on that class of ship.

Ben really gets the crowd involved, keeps the glasses full and the bar hoppin. Lots of pros, great song list and good interaction. It appears he loves his job!

We were on the same cruise, I was one of the regulars in the piano bar, Ben was a lot of fun. Were you also part of the FB group for the cruise? Even though it's sailed, it's still active :)

• 2 weeks later...

tonya scott is the piano bar player on carnival splendor currently.

i believe her first cruise was mine, 1/4, and i believe she's leaving on 3/29.

and, i'll just say, she is AMAZING!!#@$#

i started to wonder if i'd ever have a piano bar player as good as martin kaye on the destiny... and she's hopped that bar.

highly, highly recommended for anyone cruising on carnival splendor anytime soon.

Edited by falkcor

Anyone recently off the Fantasy or know who will be playing the piano bar towards the end of Feb? Our first cruise we had Tommy G and he was awesome then 2nd cruise was I believe Angela and she was horrible at it.

We are all different but think Angela was excellent and loads of fun

Who is on the MAGIC? It was Jordan Heppner, but I believe he has left. Does anyone know who is on now.

BigWave 1129, Derrek Wayne is on Magic until 3/2-I keep up with him on Facebook. He's my favorite to date, hope you get to play with him in the piano bar!

We are all different but think Angela was excellent and loads of fun

Yes, I was saying that very loosely, not positive that was her name it just rang a bell. But whichever it was, she could play great but she sang everything very different so it was impossible to sing along. Also she would stop singing completely EVERYTIME someone would walk in so she could greet them, that really kills the vibe. There were many more things, i just couldnt get into the good mood with her.

Has anyone heard Russell Villarin on the Triumph? Haven't sailed Carnival since 07' and at that time the piano bar was probably the most fun place to hang out. Just wondering if Russell does a good job and if he encourages participation with the passengers.

Being a spring break cruise should bring out the best (or worst:)) in everyone!!!

I am leaving for the Carnival Liberty Saturday 2/1 and I understand they changed our Piano Man AGAIN for the 3RD TIME :( ... First we had a newbie who didn't have the correct paperwork and couldn't get out of Canada, then we were excited to find out we had Brad Alexander and now he's been transferred to the Breeze...

From my understanding, we should now have "Jonathan"... thats all I know about him except that he doesn't have a very large knowledge of songs, doesn't even know Bad Bad Leroy Brown and does alot of country... for me ok---not so much for hubby :(

Does anyone know this Piano Man.. does he have a facebook account or a website..?? Any info would be appreciated.. We love to spend our evenings hanging out at the piano with the Piano Man, but we need one who will keep us entertained...

Thanks for any feedback on Jonathan...

I am leaving for the Carnival Liberty Saturday 2/1 and I understand they changed our Piano Man AGAIN for the 3RD TIME :( ... First we had a newbie who didn't have the correct paperwork and couldn't get out of Canada, then we were excited to find out we had Brad Alexander and now he's been transferred to the Breeze...

From my understanding, we should now have "Jonathan"... thats all I know about him except that he doesn't have a very large knowledge of songs, doesn't even know Bad Bad Leroy Brown and does alot of country... for me ok---not so much for hubby :(

Does anyone know this Piano Man.. does he have a facebook account or a website..?? Any info would be appreciated.. We love to spend our evenings hanging out at the piano with the Piano Man, but we need one who will keep us entertained...

Thanks for any feedback on Jonathan...

Brad is on the Breeze???????? For how long?

Conquest piano bar was not good at all. Spent a half of a hour in there and all Martin did was babble incoherently mumble under his breathe about people just standing in the doorway. He played 2 songs in that time period one of which he had to restart because he lost all account of which verse he was on. But at least he got 2 drinks down in that time. We left after the 5 minute lecture about tipping. In order to receive tips for service you need to be satisfied with said service. Dont waste your time with him he makes a better art auction helper then piano man.

Has anyone heard Russell Villarin on the Triumph? Haven't sailed Carnival since 07' and at that time the piano bar was probably the most fun place to hang out. Just wondering if Russell does a good job and if he encourages participation with the passengers.

Being a spring break cruise should bring out the best (or worst:)) in everyone!!!

If you look back in this thread a bit you will find that Russell is well liked. He may not have the best singing voice in the world but he is entertaining and is one of the favorites.