Post a Picture of Your Dress (Part 2)

CC Help Jenn

And so inexpensive I couldn't pass it up

276267758361315791_HDLepWA7_b.jpg

I bought this dress in December, I've been looking for my receipt to see if I can return it and then buy at the much cheaper price! I still got it on sale, but not that good of a sale! I'll be wearing it for one of the formal nights.

Ok, I had a question. On the Carnival forums they said that women struggle in heels on the ship. Should I buy like some cute kitten heels for formal night?

Well, that's up to you. If you're accustomed to walking in heels you shouldn't have much trouble unless the weather is bad and the ship is rocking. I have some trouble with my feet so I like a lower heel or a flat now. I barely felt the ship move at all last cruise.

Just ordered this one:

http://www.thelimited.com/detail/gathered-front-halter/3277274

and this one:

http://www.thelimited.com/detail/one-shoulder-lace-dress/3317000

I may not wear both of them on our upcoming cruise, but for the prices I figured I'd go ahead anyway :)

Those are really cute. I don't pull of halter and one shoulders well. Ugh. Great prices!!!

Just ordered this one:

http://www.thelimited.com/detail/gathered-front-halter/3277274

and this one:

http://www.thelimited.com/detail/one-shoulder-lace-dress/3317000

I may not wear both of them on our upcoming cruise, but for the prices I figured I'd go ahead anyway :)

omg..super cute! great prices too!!! great job!!:)

So many of you find such great dresses online--but how in the world do you find ones that fit when you get them?

That's my problem--I have to try on tons of dresses in stores to find ones that fit, are comfortable, I like and look good on me. I can't imagine ordering a dress and having it actually work when it arrives.

Are you all really young (a lot of those dresses look like they are for the younger set) and really slim? Am I just an odd shape? (5' 3", 135 (right now hoping to lose ten pounds.), normally wear about a size 10 in a dress.

I know it's harder to find things that look good at my age (66) without being frumpy, of course.

The same thing with shoes. I cannot imagine ordering shoes online unless I have the exact same thing already and know they fit. So, let me know how you do it?

Drew's Wife' date='

I've been living vicariously through you posts, but finally had to speak up -- your initial idea of white gloves merits consideration!

[img']http://clothesonfilm.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Pretty-Woman_Julia-Roberts_red-evening-gown_mid.bmp.jpg[/img]

Ok, Ladies, I went and found a beautiful pair of soft white cotton gloves that are just right at the elbow. I am so thrilled with them..:)..now I need to go and buy a copy of "Pretty Woman"...I have to admit, I have never seen the movie..:eek:...so now that I have seen this picture....I just have to see the movie.:D

So many of you find such great dresses online--but how in the world do you find ones that fit when you get them?

That's my problem--I have to try on tons of dresses in stores to find ones that fit, are comfortable, I like and look good on me. I can't imagine ordering a dress and having it actually work when it arrives.

Are you all really young (a lot of those dresses look like they are for the younger set) and really slim? Am I just an odd shape? (5' 3", 135 (right now hoping to lose ten pounds.), normally wear about a size 10 in a dress.

I know it's harder to find things that look good at my age (66) without being frumpy, of course.

The same thing with shoes. I cannot imagine ordering shoes online unless I have the exact same thing already and know they fit. So, let me know how you do it?

Most good online sellers post measurements . Take something you already know fits you and compare the measurements .Also do not buy from someone who has no returns or is so far away that the postage to return it makes it not worth it .Once you find a brand that fits and you like stick to it .

Ok, I had a question. On the Carnival forums they said that women struggle in heels on the ship. Should I buy like some cute kitten heels for formal night?

I have sailed with Carnival before and have had no problems with heels, I even danced til the early hours wearing a pair!

NovCruisin - you look gorgeous! Great dress, and I love the color :)

Most good online sellers post measurements . Take something you already know fits you and compare the measurements .Also do not buy from someone who has no returns or is so far away that the postage to return it makes it not worth it .Once you find a brand that fits and you like stick to it .

I would second everything Moegr said. Also, take a look at the dresses you already own that you like and feel are flattering on you. What do they have in common? I have a good friend who's a fashion designer, and she gave me some great advice about ten years ago. It all starts with knowing your body type and what works on you.

With regard to dresses, I think there are a few key questions to answer:

1) How do you feel about your arms and upper body? For example, I'm an ex-swimmer with broad (for a woman) shoulders and muscular arms. Anything that cuts across my collarbones makes me look like a linebacker - someone more petite in the upper body can carry off crew necks, cap sleeves, etc. much better than I can. Are you comfortable with v-necks? What about sleeves? I think 3/4 length sleeves flatter just about anyone, but short, cap-style sleeves that cut right across the largest part of the bicep tend to work better on those with slender arms. Also, if you don't really love your arms, don't feel that you have to hide them - I've found that wearing something sleeveless and showing more skin elongates your arms and can make them look more slender.

2) Waistline - are you long or short in the torso? (Easy way to tell if you have a long torso: you can never find one-piece swimsuits to fit, they either pull down in front or crawl up in back). Are you more hourglass or pear-shaped? Empire waists are flattering on most people, but a drop waist seems to work best for those with few curves. Also, the great thing about an empire waist, a-line dress is that as long as it fits around the boobs and shoulders, the rest is pretty much a gimme. Hourglass types can pull off a sheath dress really well.

3) Hem length - do you like above the knee? At the knee? Below the knee? Keep in mind that anything that falls right across the widest part of your calf will make your legs look thicker than they are. I personally find hems right above the knee to be very flattering, but I know some people don't like to show their knees.

So, take a look at what you already have with these things in mind, and try to narrow down the cuts and styles that work best for you, and then stick to those kinds of dresses. I can't tell you how many times I've loved a dress on the hanger and tried it on, only to find that it just doesn't work for my body style. Now I've resolved myself to just not try those styles on, period.

Best of luck in your dress searching!

Hi girls. Never been here before, but thought I would say how much I enjoyed looking at all your beautiful dresses. I am a mother of a 16 year old who is a tall slim beautiful angel. I love her dearly, BUT she is EXTREMELY interested in clothes and costs me an absolute fortune! Imagine having to buy two sets of things for every trip. Even though she is taller and slimmer than me she also "borrows" my things and has the audacity to look better in them too! Hey ho, that's the way things should be I suppose!?! Not only clothes, even hose and hairspray vanish into thin air when she is around!!

Hi girls. Never been here before, but thought I would say how much I enjoyed looking at all your beautiful dresses. I am a mother of a 16 year old who is a tall slim beautiful angel. I love her dearly, BUT she is EXTREMELY interested in clothes and costs me an absolute fortune! Imagine having to buy two sets of things for every trip. Even though she is taller and slimmer than me she also "borrows" my things and has the audacity to look better in them too! Hey ho, that's the way things should be I suppose!?! Not only clothes, even hose and hairspray vanish into thin air when she is around!!

Welcome to the fashion board Suzieanna!! It's a wonderful place to talk fashion, and the ladies are all so nice....they are always ready to help with information and links to their fashion finds....

Your daughter sounds beautiful...I know you are very proud of her!

NovCruisin - you look gorgeous! Great dress, and I love the color :)

I would second everything Moegr said. Also, take a look at the dresses you already own that you like and feel are flattering on you. What do they have in common? I have a good friend who's a fashion designer, and she gave me some great advice about ten years ago. It all starts with knowing your body type and what works on you.

With regard to dresses, I think there are a few key questions to answer:

1) How do you feel about your arms and upper body? For example, I'm an ex-swimmer with broad (for a woman) shoulders and muscular arms. Anything that cuts across my collarbones makes me look like a linebacker - someone more petite in the upper body can carry off crew necks, cap sleeves, etc. much better than I can. Are you comfortable with v-necks? What about sleeves? I think 3/4 length sleeves flatter just about anyone, but short, cap-style sleeves that cut right across the largest part of the bicep tend to work better on those with slender arms. Also, if you don't really love your arms, don't feel that you have to hide them - I've found that wearing something sleeveless and showing more skin elongates your arms and can make them look more slender.

2) Waistline - are you long or short in the torso? (Easy way to tell if you have a long torso: you can never find one-piece swimsuits to fit, they either pull down in front or crawl up in back). Are you more hourglass or pear-shaped? Empire waists are flattering on most people, but a drop waist seems to work best for those with few curves. Also, the great thing about an empire waist, a-line dress is that as long as it fits around the boobs and shoulders, the rest is pretty much a gimme. Hourglass types can pull off a sheath dress really well.

3) Hem length - do you like above the knee? At the knee? Below the knee? Keep in mind that anything that falls right across the widest part of your calf will make your legs look thicker than they are. I personally find hems right above the knee to be very flattering, but I know some people don't like to show their knees.

So, take a look at what you already have with these things in mind, and try to narrow down the cuts and styles that work best for you, and then stick to those kinds of dresses. I can't tell you how many times I've loved a dress on the hanger and tried it on, only to find that it just doesn't work for my body style. Now I've resolved myself to just not try those styles on, period.

Best of luck in your dress searching!

Thanks for all your advice, everyone. I'm 66 but am ok with my arms and shoulders; they're not too bad for my age. It depends on the cut. I prefer dresses just at or just under the knees; my knees themselves are fine, but I do have some of the wrinkles above the knees that age brings.

I am kind of in between long and short-waisted, probably more long waisted, for my height. I do like long swimsuit sizes, if I can find them, mostly because I don't like legs that ride up.

I carry my extra weight mostly in the stomach area and always have. Most princess style dresses don't work because they don't fit right in the bust (the girls are not as perky as they once were.)

at 5'3" (closer to 5'4") you'd think I could wear petites, but not usually. Most petite tops fit good, petite dresses are too short-waisted and generally too short, petite pants are too short.

I'm afraid to try just measurements and I think sending things back is a pain. I would never buy unless returns (and shipping) are free. Pennys is the one place I will try, as I can return them at the store. Picky, I know.

My best bet; lose the darned 10-20 lbs and then everything will fit better! I'm working on it with probably a cruise in April and a son getting married in August. Good incentives, huh?

Off to browse the Pennys sales; I forgot how easy it is to return things there.