Post a Picture of Your Dress (Part 2)

CC Help Jenn

I will be on Allure of the Seas at the beginning of November. We've been on other cruises before and enjoy dressing up for formal night. I found this dress at a local store today, but wasn't sure that it wasn't too "over the top". It's officially called a ballgown, but the skirt isn't puffy or anything like that. I think that the many gathers at the skirt may make me look even larger (already size 16, 44 yrs old). It's pretty long, even though I'm 5'9", so would have to get it shortened, which could be costly with 2 layers.

Your thoughts?

995461747_tealballdress.jpg.a80c9657772d0d173e4a9c562737d0b0.jpg

I will be on Allure of the Seas at the beginning of November. We've been on other cruises before and enjoy dressing up for formal night. I found this dress at a local store today, but wasn't sure that it wasn't too "over the top". It's officially called a ballgown, but the skirt isn't puffy or anything like that. I think that the many gathers at the skirt may make me look even larger (already size 16, 44 yrs old). It's pretty long, even though I'm 5'9", so would have to get it shortened, which could be costly with 2 layers.

Your thoughts?

I think it's gorgeous and definitely not "over the top".

I am looking at this dress. This is for an all inclusive Cancun resort vacation, so not as formal as some cruise nights.

What is confusing me, if you look at the picture this dress is pretty short, but it says 17 inches from waist which for me at 5'5 is right above my knee.... But looking at the picture seems that this girl is not much taller then me, and really short, too short for me... I am confused!

http://www.venus.com/viewproduct.aspx?BRANCH=7~72~&ProductDisplayID=8791&dept=Venus+ClothingDresses&prod=hold+u+in+banded+dress

Edited by smoothdancer

I am looking at this dress. This is for an all inclusive Cancun resort vacation, so not as formal as some cruise nights.

What is confusing me, if you look at the picture this dress is pretty short, but it says 17 inches from waist which for me at 5'5 is right above my knee.... But looking at the picture seems that this girl is not much taller then me, and really short, too short for me... I am confused!

http://www.venus.com/viewproduct.aspx?BRANCH=7~72~&ProductDisplayID=8791&dept=Venus+ClothingDresses&prod=hold+u+in+banded+dress

Maybe I am confused too...but that dress looks like it is

shorter than short to me:eek::rolleyes:..how do you sit down without

it creeping up even more....? Looks like tight, short spandex to me.

Edited by Lois R

OK, maybe I need to measure one of my dresses from the waist down, must of just measured wrong. Actually Lois, the dress is mostly polyester. I tried on a similar dress at Macys, knee length and liked it, but it had a funny collar... The dress itself though was quite comfortable....

That OK ar, we all have different opinions!

Back to the drawing board!

Edited by smoothdancer

OK, maybe I need to measure one of my dresses from the waist down, must of just measured wrong. Actually Lois, the dress is mostly polyester. I tried on a similar dress at Macys, knee length and liked it, but it had a funny collar... The dress itself though was quite comfortable....

That OK ar, we all have different opinions!

Back to the drawing board!

Hi,:) a knee length dress is alot longer than what is showing in the

photo.......

Thank you. Do you agree with a silver wrap? I also don't know if I should wear a pair of purple pumps I have or some silver goddess sandles.

I would go with silver strappy dress shoes. I found some at ross for a past cruise. They are glittery and would look cute with this dress. :D

Your thoughts?

I think this dress is pretty and definately age appropriate. I think it would look pretty. You would just need to try it on and see if you felt comfortable in it. Very pretty :)

Maybe it's just me but I'm very worried about buying online. There are no stores selling formal type dresses where I live and all the Quebec sites I visit are very expensive. If you have had a good experience with an online vendor, can you please post.

First cruise in february and still missing 1 formal outfit.

Thanks so much.

Maybe it's just me but I'm very worried about buying online. There are no stores selling formal type dresses where I live and all the Quebec sites I visit are very expensive. If you have had a good experience with an online vendor, can you please post.

Thanks so much.

I have a lovely dress I bought from eBay - Ever Pretty, who are in China. Took about 3 weeks to arrive, but very inexpensive and the dress is really nice.

Thanks so much.

I was also worried the first time that I ordered an evening gown online. Took a chance and haven't been dissapointed yet. bought

http://stores.ebay.com/evening-dress-store?_trksid=p4340.l2563

Most of the ladies on this forum will remember how much I wanted a "green evening gown". After finding my perfect "green gown", I've ordered about ten more.

Most of the sites are so reasonable with the prices and the shipping, that it is worth a risk. Just be very specific when you email them regarding your size and measurments and the color, etc.

I always ask for a total amount including the shipping. Usually the dresses arrive within a couple of weeks. Hope this helps. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I know there are several ladies on here that have purchased online and I'm sure they would give your their thoughts also.

2034296680_InspirationJan201119-Copy.jpg.198774f427f69a0f07ea8259b17ca6e5.jpg

Thanks so much.

I too have ordered from the same site as Sherrie (Drew's Wife) as she is the one who led me to the seller. I've actually gotten 2 dress's from China & have been very happy with both. The first one I ordered was even Free Shipping for $56. Can't beat the prices. :D

Thank you so much for your anwsers. Some really great gowns on Ebay! Prices seem almost too good to be true. I guess I'll be cyber shopping for quite some time with all the wonderful choices. I'll keep you posted as to if and what I choose. Cruising in february. I given myself 2 weeks to make up my mind.

Thank you so much for your anwsers. Some really great gowns on Ebay! Prices seem almost too good to be true. I guess I'll be cyber shopping for quite some time with all the wonderful choices. I'll keep you posted as to if and what I choose. Cruising in february. I given myself 2 weeks to make up my mind.

Don't forget that Canada imposes a huge import tariff on things from China.

I have bought about 14 dresses from Ebay....I have found that with the dresses from China I can wear them fine as long as there is not a zipper in them...the sizing is different than what the US has. I have found some really, really good deals just the last couple of days at JC Penneys and at Ross

pjck71--I love your dress. You will both look stunning.

WOW, you "Texan's" know how to dress ! Love your outfits. Please post pictures when you return from your cruise. Have a great time.

Thanks ya'll!! The hardest thing for me to do with 70+ days til the cruise, is to STOP shopping for dresses! LOL!! I need to block ebay & every other dress site on the internet til January ;)

I'm not a fan of this dress either, unless you are very young and very fit. Also, I'm betting the girl in the picture is quite a bit taller than 5'5"--almost all models are at least 5'7"--and that's short for a model, so the dress *may* be longer on you. However, it still looks skin tight and like it would ride up uncomfortably. It also doesn't look very much like a dress for a tropical vacation.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser