new coffee card - response from Princess

vickie_bernie

I may be in the minority on this one, but I'm pleased that cruising has gotten more inexpensive at the base price and extra things are paid for by the people who want them.

If Sabatini's was included, not every guest would get a chance to visit during their cruise, but they would be paying for it in the base price anyway.

My cruises have actually gone up the past few years.

When the alternative restaurants were introduced - the cost was like $3.50 pp. It was supposed to cover their tip.

I guess if someone wants the brewed coffee on a cruise that the card isn't valid for you could ask if they will punch it in exchange for the brewed coffee as long as there are punches on it. It amazes me that Princess let the situation go on for as long as it did.

Since I have 4 unused coffee cards from BOGO coupons last year I sure hope they will allow this. I sometimes have a cappuccino for breakfast or dinner but mainly used the card for the Specialty teas.

I don't mind buying a new card for future cruises but if they won't give me a cup of tea for a punch I'll never use all the punches on the cards I already have. :(

That couldn't possibly have been on Princes? If so, what year & ship was it?

Yes it was. It was when the Grand Princess first debuted if I remember correctly. I remember eating at Sterling Steakhouse on the Sun Princess for $6 or so in 2002 I believe. And at that time, the Steakhouse was outside and was quite beautiful. More impressive then they do it now.

Edited by Coral

My cruises have actually gone up the past few years.

I was meaning more in the 30-years ago sense. (But this is second hand information given to me by long time cruisers.)

The cost used to be much higher back in the 70's/80's, when it truly was all inclusive, except for liquor.

The only problem I'd see for using a punch for brewed coffee or tea is that the cost of the drink is less than the cost of a punch. That's why I suggested earlier that maybe they should give you 2 or 3 in exchange for a punch.

We're doing a two week cruise in February, and we've got about 4 partially punched cards (thanks to the bogo offers). I drink a lot of brewed. So maybe we'll buy a new card for that cruise so I can drink brewed for 2 weeks, and then use up our other cards on the short cruises where I may only have one or two brewed.

My husband drinks the specialty coffees, so that's how all the old cards will get used up.

That couldn't possibly have been on Princes? If so, what year & ship was it?

Here is someone's blog on the Grand Princess which puts Sabitini's and Painted Desert (Mexican) at $3.50:

http://parnami.freeyellow.com/GrandTour10.html

And it also says that the fee goes towards gratuities.

Edited by Coral

Here is someone's blog on the Grand Princess which puts Sabitini's and Painted Desert (Mexican) at $3.50:

Wow! Being from Arizona I really miss my Mexican food after a while on the longer cruises. Too bad the Painted Desert didn't survive - I'd be there in a heartbeat.

Sorry if this has been asked & answered. What coffee is served at the full suite breakfast in Sabatinis? Syrup or brewed and is a coffee card needed? Also, (our first full suite) can we have brewed coffee as part of room service? Or coffee card needed? Not an issue as we always buy at least one if not two.

Pardon my ignorance -- first time Princess traveler.

I understand the reason for a punch card for specialty coffees, but is the brewed coffee on board so bad you have to buy a card? I don't have to have lattes and cappuccinos -- but good brewed coffee is a must.

Can i get regular 'good' brewed coffee without a card?

Sorry if this has been asked & answered. What coffee is served at the full suite breakfast in Sabatinis? Syrup or brewed and is a coffee card needed? Also, (our first full suite) can we have brewed coffee as part of room service? Or coffee card needed? Not an issue as we always buy at least one if not two.

you can have any type of coffee in Sabatini

Brewed coffee or specialty coffees are included in your Sabatinis breakfast, no coffee card is needed.

Brewed coffee is not part of the room service offerings, so coffee ordered from RS will be the same as any dining room onboard (or the Horizon Court), made from concentrated syrup.

Brewed coffee or specialty coffees are included in your Sabatinis breakfast, no coffee card is needed.

Brewed coffee is not part of the room service offerings, so coffee ordered from RS will be the same as any dining room onboard (or the Horizon Court), made from concentrated syrup.

Super, thank you.

gee I never thought of this but the poster made me think about this.

Can you order a latte thru room service in the morning, even if I charge it to my account and not use the coffee card? Would save me from heading to the coffee bar first thing, looking rather scary, heck Princess should be paying me to stay in my cabin until I get my latte to protect the passengers.

vickie

It has been over two years since I sailed PCL (sadly) but I thought if you had a coffee card, it entitled you to free coffee pot brewed coffee. I did not buy the card nor coffee; however, fellow passengers told me that around May 2009. Anybody confirm or deny this?

Thanks

Nope! :( Can't even do this in a full suite.

well guess it is back to trecking to the coffee bar early in the am in my sweats and messy hair, should I post here which sailing i will be on so people can be warned ahead of time? Just check the signature and call it fair warning.

It has been over two years since I sailed PCL (sadly) but I thought if you had a coffee card, it entitled you to free coffee pot brewed coffee. I did not buy the card nor coffee; however, fellow passengers told me that around May 2009. Anybody confirm or deny this?

Thanks

yes this was the policy but as of Jan 2012 the cards are being changed to state ship and date of sailing. See orginal post to see what Princess is doing with old cards.

I may be in the minority on this one, but I'm pleased that cruising has gotten more inexpensive at the base price and extra things are paid for by the people who want them.

Decent tasting coffee should not be considered an "extra thing."

Well, the honoring the cards already sold seems fair to me.

As for not beeing to use your card on the next cruise if all your punches are not used... we will ahve to do the math and see if they are worth buying anymore.

You can use it on your next cruise, you just cannot receive free brewed coffee with a card from a previous cruise.

The date on that link is 1999.

That was a response about the original price of Sabatini's when it was first offered. I could only wish those prices were the same today. ;)