new coffee card - response from Princess

vickie_bernie

I was on the CB on 10/1 and the free coffee in HC was beyond undrinkable. I had seen people on CC complaining about the HC coffee and I was wondering "how bad could it be" - wow, turns out really bad. Princess must have changed the vendor from the previous year. Until this cruise my husband and I drank the HC coffee and had no complaints. This time, neither my husband or I could drink it and he can drink some pretty bad coffee. So after buying the coffee in the IC ($1.50 for regular) a couple of times, I broke down and bought two coffee cards to get us through this cruise and for future cruises. Looks like I might be on the short end of this transaction. The MDR coffee was good and did not taste like the HC coffee at all. We used to use the coffee syrup concentrate at work and it was good, definitely better than Folgers and some of the other stuff out there. Princess really needs to improve the coffee in the HC, otherwise they will start to see long lines at IC for people wanting only coffee. It will be a service nightmare.

I, too, have noticed this. Maybe the kitchen staff periodically cleans their machine.:p

So now that the MDR is closed for lunch on port days it looks like no coffee for lunch! ;) :(

I, too, have noticed this. Maybe the kitchen staff periodically cleans their machine.:p

That's really the secret. Cleaning the machine & having the correct adjustment to something that satisfies everyone's taste. This is probably the cause of many discussions about how bad the coffee actually is.

I was going to cover this in my post cruise report, but since it's still active...

I asked about this on the Island. The response I was given matches what was said above, old cards will be honored for specialty coffees only, new cards will be dated and good only on that trip for the brewed coffee, etc. Unused punches will be carried forward for specialty drinks only on future cruises. The person (F+B manager) did say that the final written procedures are not out yet so things may change.

Can you get unlimited brewed coffee before 2012 with old cards?

Not only could you get it on that cruise but could save your cards & get unlimited brewed coffee forever without buying another card. You could also have lent you card to other people who were going an a Princess cruise so they could enjoy the brewed coffee as well and if you were tired of cruising Princess you could have even sold you old card on eBay.

• 9 months later...
We have not sailed Princess since 2006, and unfamiliar with the Coffee Card, how does it work and do you prepay for it at time of doing your online reservations. We will be sailing Sept 2013.

Café Selects Coffee Card: Enjoy 15 espresso-based hot or cold specialty coffee drinks with complimentary brewed coffee and premium tea for the duration of your cruise.

Item #524 $31.00

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/gifts_services/cellars_culinarydelights/princess_cellars/index.jsp

Edited by Astro Flyer

Well could you use a punch on that card for the brewed coffee?

If you're asking about a cruise specific card which includes unlimited brewed coffee...no need for a punch because it's included in the card. If you're asking about an old card with punches remaining they can be used for brewed coffee or specialty coffee drinks on any Princess cruise.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I didn't mind the syrup coffee in the buffet area back when I put milk in my coffee....but now I drink it black and it was not good. But I don't mind the coffee in the mdr for some reason. Last time, I just bought brewed coffee by the cup and it was fine but this time around, I think I will buy a coffee card. I don't mind the new rules, I think it is fair.

Hi Loolie......I have to tell you, I went back and read your travel blogs about your cruises to Aruba Curaçao again, then I saw you went in 2008 on the CB....so iread that one too. We went on the crown in the spring and loved the itinerary so much we are going again in dec. on the the CB..... I just had to tell you again the fun I had reading and looking at the pics.....thanks for sharing.....

Last May I had an old coffee card with more then half my punches left. I presented it at the IC and it was taken from me and a newer card was given to me but it was not for the current sailing. I was told it would cost a punch for a fresh brew which is a rip off since those punches cost more then $1 which is what a fresh brew costs. I still have the card with a few punches left and they will be honored for anything but it will cost a punch, even hot chocolate is now a punch.

Princess if you really care............MAKE DECENT COFFEE and we won't need to worry about punches! Coffee is an entitlement in my book since it's a staple in many Americans life, especially in the morning :D

Well could you use a punch on that card for the brewed coffee?

On the cruise you purchase it, brewed coffee and hot chocolate dio not require a punch.

If you have unused punches, they can be used on a future cruise and then brewed coffee and hot chocolate will require a punch if that card is used.

Our Summer this year has been terribly humid, normally we can get by with the ceiling fans and swampers but have had to use the AC more then in the past. Of course, having our West wall of the kitchen moved out 3.5 feet by a span of 18 feet for remodeling didn't help.:)Although paneled prior to the new wall added on didn't protect us from the heat on the West side.

With the Coffee Card, I probably could buy coffee for the both of us. The wife of friends of ours is joining me on her first cruise, the 7 day Coastal back to San Pedro.

I have a few coffee cards that were purchased onboard Crown Princess during our New Year's cruise Dec '10-Jan '11. Will these cards still be honored? Thanks!

You can use remaining punches for specialty coffee drinks but can't use the card for unlimited brewed coffee. You could use a punch for each cup of brewed coffee or purchase another cruise specific card valid for unlimited brewed coffee on the cruise it's purchased.

Edited by Astro Flyer

without the card??? It's a bit strange that it's the same price regardless of the length of cruise. I never purchased a coffee card for the "coffee drinks" as I really don't care for those, but for the brewed coffee only.

As I recall it's around $1.50 to $2.00 per cup depending upon the size.

Edited by Astro Flyer