new coffee card - response from Princess

vickie_bernie

We sailed on the Grand In 1999 and I remember the Painted Desert...they also served lunch and it was delicious (and my husband says that I never forget a good meal!) I remember that they used to have evening entertainment in there as well

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

I was meaning more in the 30-years ago sense. (But this is second hand information given to me by long time cruisers.)

The cost used to be much higher back in the 70's/80's, when it truly was all inclusive, except for liquor.

Everyone keeps saying this but my experience (sailing mostly in balcony cabins) has been that our price has steadily increased. Don't know if it has kept up with inflation but it's definitely more!

We started sailing in 1970 - first cruise was $295!!!! I also remember getting a suite in the late 70's, early 80's for about $2000 for two.

If Princess reps are reading this thread... How about free brewed coffee by just showing a "Black Card"? :D:D

Coffee and the specialty teas would be WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!

Edited by chamima

I've only sailed with RCL and Celebrity, but will be trying Princess next year.

I'm not sure I understand what the coffee cards are. Do they charge you for your morning cup of coffee, or is this a special coffee?

Nancy

The coffee cards you purchase are for a certain number of speciatly coffees (a type of punch card) or unlimited brewed coffee. The complimentary coffee is available, although it is made from a syrup concentrate and many don't like it at all. ;)

Really please to read the card we purchased in Sept and only used 2 punches will be OK to use in Feb, we don’t have filter just cappuccino with a double shot, and naturally tea. When a card is complete we just buy another and ask the waiter to throw the used card away a couple of times we were asked if we were sure , call me ignorant but I am astounded to read how low some pax stoop for a cup of coffee- give me strength

Really please to read the card we purchased in Sept and only used 2 punches will be OK to use in Feb, we don’t have filter just cappuccino with a double shot, and naturally tea. When a card is complete we just buy another and ask the waiter to throw the used card away a couple of times we were asked if we were sure , call me ignorant but I am astounded to read how low some pax stoop for a cup of coffee- give me strength

I do believe that the majority of us do exactly this, and a small group really took advantage of the free coffee.

Now you understand why Princess has changed the rules about these coffee cards. Way too many taking advantage of a small loop hole. ;)

Oh how ridiculous, decent coffee should be included on the cruise. No one should have had to buy a coffee card to get a plain cup of decent coffee to begin with. Princess is just socking it to passengers on this frivolous expense.

Princess is just socking it to passengers on this frivolous expense.

I do disagree and I'm no fan of a huge company nickle-n-diming people to just make higher profit margins.

Brewed coffee is more expensive to make, it generates far more garbage and it does cost more labor.

Most people don't really think about their coffee. Us coffee lovers do, certainly. We're absolutely passionate about it. (The same way beer lovers just shake their head at people drinking Budweiser.)

I'd say most who drink coffee as part of their morning habit just don't really think about it. (For proof, just walk into any gas station that makes horrid coffee and see the peeps lined up for it in the morning.)

My dad drank that nasty Tasters Choice every morning of his working life. That's more nasty then anything I can think of. Look at the coffee aisle in your grocery store. The generic Folgers, Tasters Choice, etc., big brands have far more shelf presence than our special beans. :) It's because they sell more of that generic stuff.

Oh how ridiculous, decent coffee should be included on the cruise. No one should have had to buy a coffee card to get a plain cup of decent coffee to begin with. Princess is just socking it to passengers on this frivolous expense.

I don't consider it a frivolous expense. First, it's optional - you can buy it or not. Second, it's really intended for specialty coffees, which you pay for on almost any cruise ship. As for the 'regular' coffee now, as I said in an earlier post, it was very good on my most recent Princess cruise. A year ago it was undrinkable, but I had at least 2 cups with every meal this year. Try it, you might like it.

As for tea, I bring my own specialty tea, get hot water and brew my own.

Maureen

Hi guys! Call me a little a dim if you want.On Reading about the coffee card, which by the way i am going to purchase. I know you can get speciality coffees and teas with card but on reading the threads am I right in thinking you can get a nice cup of coffee without having your card punched Or have I misread the thread?:confused:

I don't consider it a frivolous expense. First, it's optional - you can buy it or not. Second, it's really intended for specialty coffees, which you pay for on almost any cruise ship. As for the 'regular' coffee now, as I said in an earlier post, it was very good on my most recent Princess cruise. A year ago it was undrinkable, but I had at least 2 cups with every meal this year. Try it, you might like it.

As for tea, I bring my own specialty tea, get hot water and brew my own.

Maureen

I'm not that big a coffee drinker but I do agree that they're coffee sometimes isn't all that bad and It has improved considerably from past years. I attribute this to how they've set the mix adjustment in their machines.

Hi guys! Call me a little a dim if you want.On Reading about the coffee card, which by the way i am going to purchase. I know you can get speciality coffees and teas with card but on reading the threads am I right in thinking you can get a nice cup of coffee without having your card punched Or have I misread the thread?:confused:

An attempt to summarize.

In the International Café and some lounges:

Brewed coffee is $1.25/cup, most specialty coffees are $2.50-$2.75 for a regular size, espresso $1.75.

$33.35 buys a coffee card with fifteen punch outs for specialty coffees, and unlimited brewed coffee at the cafes and some lounges that have brewed coffee. You can also use it in the dining rooms for specialty coffees. The server is directed to take two punch outs for double shot orders, some do, some don't.

Since the coffee card is for a discrete quantity it's not time limited. If there are punch outs remaining at the end of the cruise the card will carry over to the next cruise.

From Princess: Effective Jan 1 2012

Coffee cards are being redesigned to include the ship and sailing on which they were purchased. Once these new cards go into effect, you will still be able to use all 15 punches over multiple sailings if you wish. Any unused punches on cards that you currently possess will also be honored. However, the added benefit of free brewed coffees and specialty teas will only be applicable during the cruise indicated on the cards that you currently possess will also be honored. However, the added benefit of free brewed coffees and specialty teas will only be applicable during the cruise indicated on the card.

Okay, I understand that we should have to pay more for specialty coffees. However, is it too much to expect a cup of coffee that is brewed rather than made from syrup? Even my local greasy spoon diner serves brewed coffee!

I would like to see Princess do a card for brewed coffee, we buy the cards but never get the specialty coffee, probably 4 or 5 brewed coffee on a 7 day cruise, mainly because there is no other coffee available on the same deck as the IC. I suppose some will consider this abuse, but we never redeem the punches for specialty coffee. I don't disagree about the need for a limit on it. Now that the IC is the only late evening food venue, there are no free beverages available with the free food. Ironically some pax are reporting that even though HC is now closed for food in the evening, coffee is still available there.

I would like to see Princess do a card for brewed coffee, we buy the cards but never get the specialty coffee, probably 4 or 5 brewed coffee on a 7 day cruise, mainly because there is no other coffee available on the same deck as the IC. I suppose some will consider this abuse, but we never redeem the punches for specialty coffee. I don't disagree about the need for a limit on it. Now that the IC is the only late evening food venue, there are no free beverages available with the free food. Ironically some pax are reporting that even though HC is now closed for food in the evening, coffee is still available there.

Once the rules change where you can not use that coffee card from cruise to cruise for fresh brewed, it might be less expensive for you to just purchase your brewed coffee as you want it. Unless they do come up with a brewed coffee card (but I feel this isn't going to happen as that would be like advertising just how awful their complimentary coffee is. And some would actually resent loudly that they are being charged for a decent cup of coffee).

Once the rules change where you can not use that coffee card from cruise to cruise for fresh brewed, it might be less expensive for you to just purchase your brewed coffee as you want it. Unless they do come up with a brewed coffee card (but I feel this isn't going to happen as that would be like advertising just how awful their complimentary coffee is. And some would actually resent loudly that they are being charged for a decent cup of coffee).

We are being charged for a decent cup of coffee. Either thru the purchase of a coffee card or cup by cup for brewed. Question - Does Carnival, Celebrity, RCI, HAL, etc. server syrup based coffee in their dining rooms?

We are being charged for a decent cup of coffee. Either thru the purchase of a coffee card or cup by cup for brewed. Question - Does Carnival, Celebrity, RCI, HAL, etc. server syrup based coffee in their dining rooms?

Actually, my post should have read 'charged EXTRA for a decent cup of coffee'. ;)