new coffee card - response from Princess

vickie_bernie

On the Sapphire this past summer we overheard an irate passenger arguing with the coffee guy at the IC the day before the cruise ended. He was very angry and stomped off to go to Passenger Services with his complaint. The little bartender was one of the best we've ever had so I asked him what happened. Apparently, this man had purchased a new coffee card at the beginning of the cruise and used it for only brewed coffee the whole time. On the day before disembarking, he showed up w/o the card and said it was in his cabin. They wouldn't give him a coffee. The bartender went up to Passenger Services to explain what happened as he didn't want a bad remark on his record, and guess what.....the guy had previously turned his coffee card back in for credit on his account. Then he shows up to get his free coffee figuring the bartender would recognize him and give it to him w/o the card! This guy has probably done this trick several times and more than likely bragged about it to other people (maybe even on cc). We shouldn't be surprised when some of our little "benies" are eliminated.

Can you ask on the facebook page the question that is being debated here about what happens with the old cards' unlimited coffee benefit?

I don't think it was a benefit as much as it was a loophole. Right on the sale page it states:

Enjoy 15 espresso-based hot or cold specialty coffee drinks with complimentary brewed coffee and premium tea for the duration of your cruise.

They've just closed the loophole.

On the Sapphire this past summer we overheard an irate passenger arguing with the coffee guy at the IC the day before the cruise ended. He was very angry and stomped off to go to Passenger Services with his complaint. The little bartender was one of the best we've ever had so I asked him what happened. Apparently, this man had purchased a new coffee card at the beginning of the cruise and used it for only brewed coffee the whole time. On the day before disembarking, he showed up w/o the card and said it was in his cabin. They wouldn't give him a coffee. The bartender went up to Passenger Services to explain what happened as he didn't want a bad remark on his record, and guess what.....the guy had previously turned his coffee card back in for credit on his account. Then he shows up to get his free coffee figuring the bartender would recognize him and give it to him w/o the card! This guy has probably done this trick several times and more than likely bragged about it to other people (maybe even on cc). We shouldn't be surprised when some of our little "benies" are eliminated.

That is absolutely ridiculous isn't it? Just goes to show there are those that will push the limits with everything. And is just sad that someone would go to that extent. :(

The sad thing is that fresh brewed coffee used to be free at the Patissere (sp?) and hot chocolate used to be free with all meals.

It is ridiculous that Princess is charging for this. I am not a coffee drinker but think this is just incredible cheap by the cruise lines. Would it be that difficult to include these items with the cruise fare? Or provide a decent drink of coffee through out the ship?

I don't think it was a benefit as much as it was a loophole. Right on the sale page it states:

Enjoy 15 espresso-based hot or cold specialty coffee drinks with complimentary brewed coffee and premium tea for the duration of your cruise.

They've just closed the loophole.

Not a loophole. Just a failed effort to increase the sale of specialty coffees.

I have two active coffee cards titled Ace Of Latte. The cards have no restrictions whatsoever printed on either one.

The sad thing is that fresh brewed coffee used to be free at the Patissere (sp?) and hot chocolate used to be free with all meals.

It is ridiculous that Princess is charging for this. I am not a coffee drinker but think this is just incredible cheap by the cruise lines. Would it be that difficult to include these items with the cruise fare? Or provide a decent drink of coffee through out the ship?

Coral, YES, I totally agree. It such a small thing to provide for passengers overall. But it seems they found a way to make extra $$$'s, and the worse the shipboard coffee gets, the more they make on selling the coffee cards and freshly brewed coffee by the cup. It belongs in that class of "how cheap can you get Princess"? IMHO

I guess if someone wants the brewed coffee on a cruise that the card isn't valid for you could ask if they will punch it in exchange for the brewed coffee as long as there are punches on it.

Or, you could just ask for a Latte, and then ask them to hold the milk!

One solution Princess could adopt would be to put a date and ship name on the old card when you present it for a specialty coffee and then give free brewed coffee for the remainder of that cruise. That way it would be treated like one of the new cards. Win Win in my opinion.

It does seem logical, except that there are probably too many old cards floating around (pardon the pun). Your suggestion, while sensical, would swallow the new rule for quite some time for a good many passengers. Perhaps a middle ground to your middle ground would be to allow your suggestion for the duration of 2012 only. But the old system has to be phased out entirely at some point in order for the new system to function as Princess intends.

Say I just want brewed coffee. So on a 7 day cruise it is now $31 for unlimited brewed coffee and tea? I won't drink the dining room sludge, but I also don't drink 4-5 regular coffees per day.

Will the price for a 7 day brewed coffee card be the same as a 30 day cruise? That hardly seems right....

I posted on Princess' facebook page the question about the coffee card that is coming out in the new year. Here is their response

Coffee cards are being redesigned to include the ship and sailing on which they were purchased. Once these new cards go into effect, you will still be able to use all 15 punches over multiple sailings if you wish. Any unused punches on card...s that you currently possess will also be honored. However, the added benefit of free brewed coffees and specialty teas will only be applicable during the cruise indicated on the card.

Seems like a very reasonable/fair approach for Princess to take. They sold a card good for a certain number of specialty drinks. They will continue to honor it for those drinks, regardless of when you redeem the punches. The card includes the additional benefits of free brewed coffee and hot chocolate. To this point, Princess has allowed people to abuse the card by redeeming it for (up to) 14 specialty coffees, plus free brewed coffee and hot chocolate for life. Clearly Princess wasn't intending to offer this. They have finally decided to close down this loophole.

If someone thinks that that was the intent of the card, they will just have to come to grips with it. Personally, I look at it as a loophole/abuse that Princess has (to date) allowed. I have benefited from this, as have others that are now complaining about they will no longer be able to continue this abuse. I'm just glad that I've been able to benefit from this in the past--I don't think it's reasonable to expect Princess to allow it indefinately.

Coral, YES, I totally agree. It such a small thing to provide for passengers overall. But it seems they found a way to make extra $$$'s, and the worse the shipboard coffee gets, the more they make on selling the coffee cards and freshly brewed coffee by the cup. It belongs in that class of "how cheap can you get Princess"? IMHO

Lets hope that logic doesn't transfer to the food dept also. ;)

I agree more items we are paying for. But in the 15 years I have been cruise the actual cost of the cruise is relatively close to what I paid in 1988. But then again I doubt they would raise the price and include these things again.

I am okay with payin fOr what I want instead of a more all inclusive package

I'm not sure I would want to spend around $30 for each cruise when I'm using it for brewed coffee. It's a terrible deal for a 1-3 day cruise. A better idea would be to simply serve quality coffee everywhere. Are all specialty coffees included including spiked coffee? On our Alaska cruise, waiters were hovering with trays for fancy coffee.

I was thinking that if I was taking a B2B 1+7, and I tasted the regular coffee on the 1 day cruise, since I didn't want to spend $30 just for one day, I may decide I can handle the regular coffee for the 7 day one too. Thus Princess loses a sale.

Edited by knittinggirl

I think that the solution is quite fair. And I'm an avid coffee drinker.

I also was pleasantly surprised on my recent CB sailing to find that the coffee in the dining room and HC was actually very good. I think someone finally got the mix right, or cleaned the pots. My first Princess cruise (last year) it was undrinkable but this time I didn't even bother to get specialty coffee most of the time. I hope this is a trend that continues if you can no longer get brewed coffee with your card.

Maureen

All things considered the food quality is still pretty good even compared to years back. Maybe some selections & food prep in the DR has disappeared but things do change as their costs continue to rise.

How many years? Yes, quality has gone down if you started cruise 10-15 years ago. I remember my first cruise when our cabin was cleaned and fresh towels every time we were left the cabin. But that was more than 15 years ago when service was always white glove.

Say I just want brewed coffee. So on a 7 day cruise it is now $31 for unlimited brewed coffee and tea? I won't drink the dining room sludge, but I also don't drink 4-5 regular coffees per day.

Will the price for a 7 day brewed coffee card be the same as a 30 day cruise? That hardly seems right....

Yes, since the cards are physically punched and it can be used for subsequent cruises, the amount of cruise days are irrelevant (from the specialty coffee point of view anyways). But interestingly, I looked back at my paperwork from my 2009 cruise when I bought it and they were $34. So it went DOWN three bucks for losing unlimited brewed apparently. Woopee. :(

Lee

Lets hope that logic doesn't transfer to the food dept also. ;)

They Have. It's called Sabitinis and Crown Grill. :rolleyes:

But I must admit it is a great dining experience. :cool:

Edited by Sincity

It never was intended as a primarily brewed coffee card...you can always purchase the brewed coffee one cup at a time if you will be drinking less than 30 cups on whatever length cruise you are on.

I'm not sure I would want to spend around $30 for each cruise when I'm using it for brewed coffee. It's a terrible deal for a 1-3 day cruise. A better idea would be to simply serve quality coffee everywhere. Are all specialty coffees included including spiked coffee? On our Alaska cruise, waiters were hovering with trays for fancy coffee.

I was thinking that if I was taking a B2B 1+7, and I tasted the regular coffee on the 1 day cruise, since I didn't want to spend $30 just for one day, I may decide I can handle the regular coffee for the 7 day one too. Thus Princess loses a sale.

Or you can purchase the brewed coffee one cup at a time for $1 if you don't really want the specialty coffees. And no, the spiked coffees are not part of the punch card menu, those are extra.

Exactly what I was talking about, they have carried this to the dining experience. $$$$$

I may be in the minority on this one, but I'm pleased that cruising has gotten more inexpensive at the base price and extra things are paid for by the people who want them.

If Sabatini's was included, not every guest would get a chance to visit during their cruise, but they would be paying for it in the base price anyway.

They Have. It's called Sabitinis and Crown Grill. :rolleyes:

But I must admit it is a great dining experience. :cool:

To some degree that's true but I still feel that the Specialty restaurant food (forget service) is still better than what we received 25 years ago.

I will say that that Sabatini's & Crown Grill are very good and sometimes we'll go there depending on if we have the extra cabin credit.

The white glove service doesn't interest me in the least, just for quality of the food.