Would you pay....

SteelCruisin

I think people keep posting these "would you pay" posts just to tick people off... The majority of people will not pay. If we wanted to pay for the food/service/entertainment we would take a land based vacation. Or we could stay home. People will not pay extra for petty things like shrimp/dessert/cappucinos or what not. There are some people who will, but the majority of people who take a cruise take it because it is all inclusive.

;)

So you don't tip?

The major thing I notice from a cruise to an AI is the drinks and tips are included.

Cutting shrimp cocktail ( after they reduced the quality of the shrimp )

Removing steak and adding a piece of shoulder

And now a complete fascination with chopped meat aka meatloaf and guys burgers... Couple it with" comfort food"

Well you get what u pay for. It's a budget fare and it's budget foods being added.

I know higher end restaurants are serving some of these items , it's a way of cutting costs with out raising prices

You pay 70 - 100 per day, you get today's menus

I totally agree (one NYer to another) Carnival is becoming the Walmart of the Seas, oh wait, how about KMart of the Seas?

In less than a decade, I've seen CCL reduce their food quality and selection with each successive cruise. Yes, I enjoy the steakhouse and eat there once every week long cruise. But I shouldn't have to pay extra in the MDR for standard items.

Now don't get me started about the gavones bragging about ordering 25 lobster tails or 5 shrimp cocktails...............I'd rather see them get cut off after maybe 3, so there's at least one to go around for the rest of us.

Mac & Cheese? Meat Loaf? Doesn't belong in a quality MDR. In Kmart of the Seas, sure.

it seems as if people are really ticked off by the lack of a shrimp cocktail every evening, so I was wondering, If they offered it at say a cost of $2 , would you purchase it with your dinner. To me I could care less, as I find it nothing special...I make better at home , but for those who say it somehow lessens their cruise would you pay $14 extra for a week with shrimp cocktail?

Since I'm allergic to shrimp, I, personally could care less, but honestly, is shrimp really a deal breaker? Food quality has lowered on RCI also, but it's really caused by people wanting cruising to cost the same as it did a few years ago. The cost of everything has gone up and to expect everything to stay the same at the same cost is unrealistic.

I wouldn't mind if the price went up 30-50 per person for a cruise if the food improved. I liked the shrimp because it was low calorie. So is the lobster(without butter of course). I don't get home from work Monday through Friday and have shrimp everyday( I could if I wanted the extra work). It's a nice simple elegant appetizer, and that's why I liked them on the cruise.

Meatloaf isn't elegant. Ribs aren't elegant. Fried chicken-guess what? It isn't elegant. I like to dress up on a cruise and have something for dinner that I'm not going to fix at home. We pretty much all like Carnival for the price? Right? But if they keep the price the same and everything else in the world goes up in price then I can see changing the menu. But I can't see the price of the cruise going up, the quality going down, and that's what is happening on Carnival.

Oh well, it's still inexpensive and it takes you from point A to points B and C, and home again. It fulfills the requirement of a vacation. And I don't have to eat what I don't like-maybe I will even lose weight this cruise-I'll let you know in a two weeks.:o:)

Heck no I wouldn't pay extra....but I sure do miss those little guys! I had a shrimp cockatail for my app every night on our recent Alaska cruise.

However, some cost cutting measures I didn't really miss like the gala midnight buffet since we always looked but didn't eat. :p

I would not pay extra for the shrimp cocktail. As others have said there are plenty of other appetizers that are more tasty.

I like my buy my shrimp down at the docks straight off the shrimp boats can't get much better or fresher than that. One of the benefits of living at a local shrimping port :D

I agree with some of the other posters. We cruise Carnival because of the price and since it's much cheaper than other lines, we have to expect less than other lines.

I, too love the MDR. But this last time I cruised, my son and I missed the MDR each night except the elegant night, which was a shame. When we did go to the elegant night, half the DR was empty. Although so many ppl here on CC seemed to love the shrimp cocktail, I imagine it wasn't that popular with the majority of guests. I can not see any business making their most popular app, unavailable.

I'm thinking there must be more to case of the missing shrimp cocktail than we know.

[quote name='marshhawk'][FONT=Comic Sans MS]I wouldn't mind if the price went up 30-50 per person for a cruise if the food improved. I liked the shrimp because it was low calorie. So is the lobster(without butter of course). I don't get home from work Monday through Friday and have shrimp everyday( I could if I wanted the extra work). It's a nice simple elegant appetizer, and that's why I liked them on the cruise.[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Meatloaf isn't elegant. Ribs aren't elegant. Fried chicken-guess what? It isn't elegant. I like to dress up on a cruise and have something for dinner that I'm not going to fix at home. We pretty much all like Carnival for the price? Right? But if they keep the price the same and everything else in the world goes up in price then I can see changing the menu. But I can't see the price of the cruise going up, the quality going down, and that's what is happening on Carnival.[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Oh well, it's still inexpensive and it takes you from point A to points B and C, and home again. It fulfills the requirement of a vacation. And I don't have to eat what I don't like-maybe I will even lose weight this cruise-I'll let you know in a two weeks.:o:)[/FONT][/quote]
I like/love this answer (me too:):o)...bottom line...we are in a financial shift we don't want to face..everything is more expensive and i am afraid food will go through the roof..so they will have to raise prices but are trying not to ...to make things work while adjustments are happening,...Sarah

[quote name='iceleven']I suspect it was simply the usual cost-cutting they are doing with other items. Perhaps if people were happy to have had just one serving as an appetizer, instead of two, three servings, this would not have happened. I've read here, in the past, many people bragging about the many shrimp cocktails they ordered at each meal. They are probably the same people who are complaining the most about not having them on the menu anymore.[/QUOTE]

There are some people that just have food on the brain 24/7 and that is all they think about when cruising is food, food and more food and how many shrimp are in the shrimp cocktail.

Archived