Liberty or Jewel?

FrannyK

Looking at Liberty or Jewel for a 4-night cruise this Jan/Feb. Itinerary not important. Price is about the same. Just my DH and I traveling. We've been on Voyager Class, but never Freedom or Radiance class. Which would you recommend and why? The Jewel seems to get a bit better reviews.

If you liked Navigator you will be very pleased with Liberty. In fact, Liberty is the same layout as Nav, with the same stores and lounges on the Promenade and with a Boleros bar like Nav. In addition to the Nav's amenities there is a separate pizza place, Sorrento's with panini's, breads, salads, and antipasti at no charge. And there is a Cupcake Cupboard for fee just across from the no fee Cafe Promenade. There is a flow-rider on the back of the ship. And there is a kid's water park. Recently a large movie screen was added to the main pool deck. Other than those additions the two ships are viturally the same. Now, Jewel is a totally different expience. Different ship layout and design. There are ocean views everywhere from all the glass. The side elevators are glass. The ship is smaller and has no promenade, but a lovely atrium. There is a Seafood Cafe at no charge up on deck 14. The solarium is covered. There are self-leveling pool tables that are really fun to watch if the ship is rocking a bit. Jewel is more laid back, not as much to do, a more romantic experience. I enjoy both classes. But since you have not done a Radiance class ship, for just a four nite, to check it out, I'd recommend Jewel.

Two very different ships. I liked both but I prefer the Jewel. It's smaller and has outdoor seating at the WJ and the SeaView Cafe and lots and lots of glass and light. The Liberty is larger and has the Royal Promenade. I would sail on the Jewel in a heartbeat no matter where it goes. It's a gem.

Looking at Liberty or Jewel for a 4-night cruise this Jan/Feb. Itinerary not important. Price is about the same. Just my DH and I traveling. We've been on Voyager Class, but never Freedom or Radiance class. Which would you recommend and why? The Jewel seems to get a bit better reviews.

I was contemplating the same question, not having sailed on either ship. I chose the Jewel because: a) I prefer the atrium over the Promenade, and, b) I wasn't sure if 4 days was enough time to really "get to know" Liberty. I hope to save that for a longer cruise in the future.

I love Voyager class ships and the Freedom class adds just a bit more. I much prefer both those classes of ships over the Radiance class. We really enjoy the Royal Promenade so for us it is Voyager class or larger. We also enjoy the flowrider so the Freedom class offers us a bit more.

I was contemplating the same question, not having sailed on either ship. I chose the Jewel because: a) I prefer the atrium over the Promenade, and, b) I wasn't sure if 4 days was enough time to really "get to know" Liberty. I hope to save that for a longer cruise in the future.

Then Jewel probably would be a better choice for you.

Just wanted to add that our other choice would be the Celebrity Millenium for the 4-night Jan/Feb cruise. Would love try try Celebrity but it's $150 more per person and I can't imagine the experience would be that much better than the Jewel or Liberty.

Just wanted to add that our other choice would be the Celebrity Millenium for the 4-night Jan/Feb cruise. Would love try try Celebrity but it's $150 more per person and I can't imagine the experience would be that much better than the Jewel or Liberty.

Dependng upon what it is that you enjoy about cruising it is possible that Celebrity might not be a better experience for you at all.

I would go with the Liberty..just had a recent drydock early 2011...Jewel will not be going into drydock until 4-12 after that would be a good time to try her..

Jewel had a drydock this spring.:)

For me, Jewel wins. I love the open feeling of the Radiance class ships and don't care for the Royal Promenade. Other than the Flowrider (which is fun to watch; I don't have the nerve to try it), there's nothing that Liberty offers that I find interesting that I can't find on Jewel, too.

For you, it depends on what you like to do. If you want to try the Flowrider, then Liberty. If you like to sit in the Champagne or Schooner Bar and watch the ocean while having a glass of wine and reading a book, then Jewel. Liberty has been "Oasisized" so you'll see the cartoon characters and lots of activities geared toward families.

No, definitely not interested in the flow-rider LOL. Although there's definitely entertainment to be found watching flailing tumbling would-be surfers I'm sure :) We liked walking through the royal promenade on Voyager, but really only frequented the Cafe Promenade and maybe a bar or two so not a must at all. And dance parties/parades don't entice me, we've seen many before. We DO love the solarium pool and spend lots of time there. I assume Liberty solarium pool is similar to Navigator, but what about solarium pool on Jewel? Someone said it was covered? And is it as large? Quiet?

No, definitely not interested in the flow-rider LOL. Although there's definitely entertainment to be found watching flailing tumbling would-be surfers I'm sure :) We liked walking through the royal promenade on Voyager, but really only frequented the Cafe Promenade and maybe a bar or two so not a must at all. And dance parties/parades don't entice me, we've seen many before. We DO love the solarium pool and spend lots of time there. I assume Liberty solarium pool is similar to Navigator, but what about solarium pool on Jewel? Someone said it was covered? And is it as large? Quiet?

The solarium of Nagivator and Liberty are similar. The Radiance class ships have glass covered solariums so the temperature is pretty steady. On Serenade I found it to be a quiet and relaxing place. It was also a nice place to escape the southern Caribbean heat every now and then.

I think the solarium on Jewel is as large as on Navigator. There is a small cafe on one side of Jewel's solaruim, so sometimes teens might stop by there for pizza or a sandwich. But I have never found the solarium on any Radiance class ship to be anything but peaceful, and I've been on them all, more than once. I really think the Jewel is for you since the promenade doesn't mean much to you.

We also prefer the Jewel. It's a classy ship, beautifully maintained and decorated and you'll feel a connection to the ocean. #2 choice would be the Liberty and #3 the Millenium. We were on the Millenium for the Grand Med a number of years ago. It was okay but it does not have the "WOW" factor.

Jewel had a drydock this spring.:)

For me, Jewel wins. I love the open feeling of the Radiance class ships and don't care for the Royal Promenade. Other than the Flowrider (which is fun to watch; I don't have the nerve to try it), there's nothing that Liberty offers that I find interesting that I can't find on Jewel, too.

For you, it depends on what you like to do. If you want to try the Flowrider, then Liberty. If you like to sit in the Champagne or Schooner Bar and watch the ocean while having a glass of wine and reading a book, then Jewel. Liberty has been "Oasisized" so you'll see the cartoon characters and lots of activities geared toward families.

Then why is she on the schedule for the end of April 2012 :confused:

I wasn't a huge fan of the Millenium ... seemed horizontally cramped to me ... though it was fine.

I went through the Jewel/Liberty choice for December and settled on Liberty. While I like the Radiance class and the Jewel specifically, some of my favorite things on RCI are the Diamond Lounge and the ice shows ... both of which the Liberty have. Throw in that the Liberty also has a full show (Saturday Night Fever ... not thrilling for me, but better than nothing) instead of a mash-up production show. One final thing ... I much prefer Port Everglades to Tampa ... all it takes is one bad experience with a ship not being able to navigate the channel into the Port of Tampa (winds, traffic, etc) and Everglades just feels a bit safer to me for an earlier flight back home.

Then why is she on the schedule for the end of April 2012 :confused:

I don't think she is and perhaps the person who wrote that she was misread the drydock schedule. Jewel underwent a drydock last Spring before heading to Europe for the summer. We sailed on her westbound transatlantic cruise just six weeks ago and found her to be in excellent shape. Some who were on recent Canada/New England cruises posted similar comments. We board her tomorrow for her repositioning cruise and expect her condition to be as good as it was when we left her. No mention has been made as to when she may be "revitalized" but she is not scheduled for such a treatment for at least another year or more. Considering tomorrow's weather report for Boston, the covered solarium will be quite welcome.

I don't think she is and perhaps the person who wrote that she was misread the drydock schedule. Jewel underwent a drydock last Spring before heading to Europe for the summer. We sailed on her westbound transatlantic cruise just six weeks ago and found her to be in excellent shape. Some who were on recent Canada/New England cruises posted similar comments. We board her tomorrow for her repositioning cruise and expect her condition to be as good as it was when we left her. No mention has been made as to when she may be "revitalized" but she is not scheduled for such a treatment for at least another year or more. Considering tomorrow's weather report for Boston, the covered solarium will be quite welcome.

Thanks for the clarification..guess more than one source (post) should always be checked for verification...;)

I had same dilemma for this November sailing. I chose the Jewel (3 X on Jewel). A big factor was wanting an AFT wake facing cabin. I was able to snag corner after JS on Jewel. I like the light and the glass of the Radiance class ships. Also not fond of the bigger ship concept.

This is an easy one....if you want a more quiet more sleepy ship that definitely leans towards a bit older age group...then Jewel is for you. If you want a bigger ship with LOTS more activities, a younger more energetic crowd and much better entertainment then Liberty is the way to go. Liberty just has her "Oasis'izing" that added many new features from Oasis class and now has their own Broadway Production Show of Saturday Night Fever.

As far as Millenium ....all I can say is they are struggling to sell that ship right now and it hasn't had the most shining of reviews as of late.....if you want to really get a flavor for Celebrity I suggest you go for a 7 night sailing and try out Solstice Class.

Have a great trip. This weather is starting WAY too early this year.:rolleyes:

We just got off the Jewel last week. Beautiful ship and she was in great condition. I liked her size and loved the classiness of the Radiance class ship. The indoor covered solarium was really nice, particulary since we were on a new england cruise. I've never been on the Liberty, but had been on the Adventure with the promendade, etc.. For a 4 day, I think I would choose the Jewel. To me if you want to use all the ammenties on a ship the size of Liberty, I would save it for a longer cruise. If you are looking forward to a relaxing 4 day getaway I would do Jewel.

We also sail Celebrity and absolutely love it. If you sail both lines, it's the little differences that you will notice. They are all classy ships and tend to be more mid size with the Solstice class ships being their largest, but still carrying less passengers than a Freedom or Oasis class ship. Been on Millenium and loved her, especially the T pools. There tends to be less kids in general since you won't find all the rock climbing walls, mini golf, flowrider, etc on Celebrity ship, but that also depends on the itinerary too as far as whether there will be lots of kids. We did a 7 day Caribbean cruise on the Century and there were lots of families. As far a prices go, you can find Celebrity cruises for about the same prices as a Royal cruise, you just need to look.

Archived