Silhouette TA

tonyd285

We arrived home yesterday after the 10/22 TA from Civitivecchia and thought I would briefly describe my opinions about the ship. First off, it is a beautiful vessel with a lot going for it. The cabins (we had a C1) are spacious and well appointed. The bathrooms are the largest non-suite that I have seen on any ship. The food was outrageously wonderful both in the MDR and in the specialty restaurants. The staff went out of their way to ensure that we were well taken care of. The only real complaints - other than the weather which at times was dreadful - relate to the design of the ship. There are simply not enough elevators for a ship of this size. They need two more in each elevator bank to accomodate the usage. Also the game room was much to small. We were never able to get a table at any time. There are only about a half-dozen tables for a 2800 passenger ship. Internet service was sporadic and the ILounge staff were at best semi-competent. They kept saying that the service was bad because it was a TA but we were on the Summit from San Juan to Barcelona two years ago and never had a serious internet issue. The ship creaked and rattled much more than any other that I have ever been on, and I have cruised more than a dozen times. Overall it was a good experience but now that we have done a TA each way I don't think we will do one again.

Hi Tony! We are on this sailing as well! I am sure our paths crossed at some point, like ships in the night (pun intended). :)

Of course, everyone's experience is their own, so obviously very unique! We love TA crossings and going forward, it's the only itinerary we MUST do and have vowed to at least do one every other year.

The ship DID creak, however; the high seas were most definitely the cause! I know the unpredictable weather and a very rocky ship is not everyone's cup of tea, but in my (very humble) opinion - that is what a crossing is all about! It's getting back to the old style of travel and again, (to us) it's the unpredictable elements that make a crossing so exciting, and this journey did not disappoint (us anyway!).

I agree that the card room was packed on most days (we were on deck 9, so passed often) but I would imagine this is a frequent occurrence on "ship intensive" cruises like a TA. Passengers traveling on more traditional, port focused cruises would most likely not encounter the same issue.

On another note, I could not agree with you more regarding the C1 cabins and the spaciousness of the bathrooms! Brilliant design!

Hope you had a safe trip home!

We are booked on the Silhouette for Jan...looking forward to our first AQ room and being on a new ship! Pleased to hear that the food was good. Have been on approx 18 cruises but never a TA ...would like to try that someday.

Thanks for the info on "Silly" ...we love reading everything we can about her as we prepare for our trip!

I am booked for the TA in April next year- and I loved reading that on your crossing you felt like your were on a ship- that is exactly what I love about the TA´s as well. I also try to make a TA every other year- or better- every year. So much nicer to avoid at least one LD- Flight! So was there much motion on the ship other then the cracking and creaping???

Will be doing on TA on the Sillouette next Dec. When you say high seas how bad are they. Usually get seasick at least once per cruise. I do take the pills for sickness daily but if they are really bad am I going to have a miserable cruise. In that case maybe we should cancel. Please say it isn't that bad as I am really looking forward to it.

We were also on this crossing...still rocking a bit;), but back in California. I think that the ship is great, too, and that the creaking was to be expected in 15-20 foot seas. I did see that they also had Q-sine open for card games, but didn't see many take advantage of that. I agree that the I-Lounge staff were a disaster, but this was such a small part of my cruise, it didn't really matter.

We had a fabulous time- we also love TA's. This was number 15...we also met wonderful people, including bhughey and her husband. The specialty restaurants were one of the highlights, and Q-sine and Lawn Club Grill were our favorites, but enjoyed all the others too.(at least the parts we remember after the wonderful Elite cocktail hours:D...)

I'll try to post a complete review soon.

Andrew

Welcome back Andrew- can´t wait to board her myself in April. Beside all the rockin and rolling I read you were still able to enjoy nice meals in the Restaurants... hehe! Tuscany Grill an Muranos are my favorite so fare on board S- Class. I suppose the Cabans came not in handy with this weather. LOL!

Greetings

Michael

We were also on this crossing...still rocking a bit;), but back in California. I think that the ship is great, too, and that the creaking was to be expected in 15-20 foot seas. I did see that they also had Q-sine open for card games, but didn't see many take advantage of that. I agree that the I-Lounge staff were a disaster, but this was such a small part of my cruise, it didn't really matter.

We had a fabulous time- we also love TA's. This was number 15...we also met wonderful people, including bhughey and her husband. The specialty restaurants were one of the highlights, and Q-sine and Lawn Club Grill were our favorites, but enjoyed all the others too.(at least the parts we remember after the wonderful Elite cocktail hours:D...)

Andrew

Hi Andrew. Glad you had a good time and enjoyed the ship. You certainly had quite a ride, didn't you? Looking at the shiptracker reports the seas peaked at about 28 feet. I look forward to reading your review.

Phil

Will be doing on TA on the Sillouette next Dec. When you say high seas how bad are they. Usually get seasick at least once per cruise. I do take the pills for sickness daily but if they are really bad am I going to have a miserable cruise. In that case maybe we should cancel. Please say it isn't that bad as I am really looking forward to it.

This was our 4th TA and by far the rockiest! With the exception of a day or two on the other three - the seas were like glass! Generally, on a more southerly route toward Florida for example, the smoother the seas, but again mother nature is very unpredictable!

As I mentioned - we love the crossings and imagine you will, too!

Andrew - glad to hear you made it home safely - I am sure Hubble was happy to see you! John and I so enjoyed meeting you two and and absolutely consider the many evenings we spent together between 5-7 (and beyond!) a highlight of the trip! Really, really hope our paths cross again!

Generally, ships that take a northerly route for a crossing encounter rougher seas, especially in the Fall. We have found the weather, and the Atlantic, to be much nicer on the TA's we've done from Europe to Florida on the southern route. I hope that you will not cancel your cruise, you will be missing a fantastic experience! Please come and join us on the Roll Call. :)

Andrew,

Glad to hear you had a good time. Thanks for breaking in Silhouette for me. I have to wait until March 17, 2012 to sail her.

We are thinking of doing the Reflections TA November 18, 2012. Any chance you'd be on that cruise?

Can't wait for your review.

Anne Maria

I booked this TA--my first. I do have a motion issue and am booked in a 1B mid-ship on Vista deck 8.

I usually prefer Plaza deck 3. Can anyone comment on their experience on Deck 3 on a TA with the high seas?

Would it be significantly better, in terms of motion, than Deck 8? Should I change my stateroom now while I can get an outside cabin on Deck 3?

I think I chose a higher deck after reading somewhere about the water sloshing up and covering the windows on lower deck outside cabins. That didn't conjure up a pretty picture for me.

Any help/suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

I booked this TA--my first. I do have a motion issue and am booked in a 1B mid-ship on Vista deck 8.

I usually prefer Plaza deck 3. Can anyone comment on their experience on Deck 3 on a TA with the high seas?

Would it be significantly better, in terms of motion, than Deck 8? Should I change my stateroom now while I can get an outside cabin on Deck 3?

I think I chose a higher deck after reading somewhere about the water sloshing up and covering the windows on lower deck outside cabins. That didn't conjure up a pretty picture for me.

Any help/suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

The general rule is that the lower and more central you are, the least amount of motion you will feel. The seas did slosh up over the windows on deck 3 a day or two, but the motion was not quite as extreme as it was on deck 9, which is where our cabin was located.

Also should mention that breathing fresh sea air, eating bread and staring at the horizon are the three best activities when feeling the motion. A verandah on a higher deck might be better for this reason. On deck 3, I was mesmerized by the waves, meaning that I wasn't watching the horizon, and that could undo the advantage of being lower in the ship.

Phil and Anne Marie, will work on it this weekend!

B, you mean you don't have the guest bedroom ready for us? We were going to stop by for cocktails from 5-7 tonight!;)

Hubble's showing his age, but happy to see us. Hope Cooper greater you both properly.!

Andrew

Also should mention that breathing fresh sea air, eating bread and staring at the horizon are the three best activities when feeling the motion. A verandah on a higher deck might be better for this reason. On deck 3, I was mesmerized by the waves, meaning that I wasn't watching the horizon, and that could undo the advantage of being lower in the ship.

Phil and Anne Marie, will work on it this weekend!

B, you mean you don't have the guest bedroom ready for us? We were going to stop by for cocktails from 5-7 tonight!;)

Hubble's showing his age, but happy to see us. Hope Cooper greater you both properly.!

Andrew

Guest room is always ready... Manhattan's and cosmo/appletini's coming up! :)

Awww.... sweet hubs! Cooper is happy to be home and in his own bed! I think he's forgiven us for being gone so long.

Can you please give me a hint as to the price of wine bottles. Since no wine packages are available for this ship we are trying to figure out if we should get a all inclusive beverages package or no? Thank you in advance for your help.

We arrived home yesterday after the 10/22 TA from Civitivecchia and thought I would briefly describe my opinions about the ship. First off, it is a beautiful vessel with a lot going for it. The cabins (we had a C1) are spacious and well appointed. The bathrooms are the largest non-suite that I have seen on any ship. The food was outrageously wonderful both in the MDR and in the specialty restaurants. The staff went out of their way to ensure that we were well taken care of. The only real complaints - other than the weather which at times was dreadful - relate to the design of the ship. There are simply not enough elevators for a ship of this size. They need two more in each elevator bank to accomodate the usage. Also the game room was much to small. We were never able to get a table at any time. There are only about a half-dozen tables for a 2800 passenger ship. Internet service was sporadic and the ILounge staff were at best semi-competent. They kept saying that the service was bad because it was a TA but we were on the Summit from San Juan to Barcelona two years ago and never had a serious internet issue. The ship creaked and rattled much more than any other that I have ever been on, and I have cruised more than a dozen times. Overall it was a good experience but now that we have done a TA each way I don't think we will do one again.

i have a dumb question....what is a TA?

Andrew

Welcome back Andrew! So glad to hear you and Ed had such a wonderful time. Maybe we can see you when Phil visits in January. Miss you!

I have to agree with the others on our TA, the food was fantastic, the internet while crossing was almost non exsistant and I thought last Saturday night was the roughest night. Lots of motion on my 10th floor cabin!

Enjoyed meeting lots of our CC Roll Call members and about 200 of them joined in at our disembarkation luncheon on Tuesday.

Hope that they have fixed that luggage door hatch by now!

Hi Joanie!

Andrew

Hey Andrew -

Glad to hear you and Ed had a great time. Jeff and I leave in just 19 days for the Equinox TA. Not that we are counting of course!

Katie the dog gets to stay right at home this trip with a friend, but I know she'll miss us terribly.

Joe

Can you please give me a hint as to the price of wine bottles. Since no wine packages are available for this ship we are trying to figure out if we should get a all inclusive beverages package or no? Thank you in advance for your help.

The price of bottled wine varies depending on the quality. The have very good wines for about $30 per bottle plus the required 15% gratuity. The least expensive is 24-25 and they go up into the hundreds for those with VERY deep pockets:)

Archived