POLL: Princess Coffee - Dishwater or Mud?

Spudhunter

Princess Coffee - Dishwater or Mud?  

292 members have voted

1. 1. Princess Coffee - Dishwater or Mud?

• It tastes like dishwater.
    • It tastes like mud.
    • It tastes like battery acid.
    • It has some other disagreeable taste.
    • Seems okay to me.

So many people complain about the coffee that Princess serves as part of the base cruise fare, calling it swill, mud, etc.

One person's poison is another person's pleasure. We all know it's made from syrup concentrate, but what exactly is wrong with it?

I think that coffee made from freshly ground beans has the benefit of the aromatic fragrance that adds to the flavor, that is lacking when made from the syrup extract. I was on the Caribbean Princess a week ago, and it took some getting used to, before I could enjoy my coffee. Like anything different from what your taste is 'aclimated' to, after a while, you will gradually get to accept it.

I was surprised to see the coffee 'taps' in the Horizon Court. The steward showed me the line to the extract syrup container below the counter.

Most other lines I have cruised with in the past use those big WMF cafematic machines that store and grind the beans and then fresh brew the coffee they dispense. I believe them to be superior.

Too bad that you can not check "all of the above" and add "undrinkable swill". Considering the coffee that people gladly accept in land-based restaurants, it is no great surprise to me that the majority likes Princess coffee. Most of them have never tasted truly good coffee.

DON

Too bad that you can not check "all of the above" and add "undrinkable swill". Considering the coffee that people gladly accept in land-based restaurants, it is no great surprise to me that the majority likes Princess coffee. Most of them have never tasted truly good coffee.

DON

That's your opinion.

I don't like the coffee either but as Pam said " it's subjective."

Theo

the coffee is bad. Also they will not change it because a lot of people have went and purchase the coffee cards. Princess has said if you want good coffee pay for it. If you want better food pay for it.

That's a matter of opinion. I, and many others, consider Starbucks "swill" and undrinkable yet there are many who think its the only "real" coffee. Go figure. As said, it's subjective. :)

That's a matter of opinion. I, and many others, consider Starbucks "swill" and undrinkable yet there are many who think its the only "real" coffee. Go figure. As said, it's subjective. :)

Well said Pam, I also think that Starbucks is pretty awful but I tolerate the Princess coffee most of the time, maybe because I am not a great coffee drinker. As with the food there will always be different opinions because we all have different tastes.

Well said Pam, I also think that Starbucks is pretty awful but I tolerate the Princess coffee most of the time, maybe because I am not a great coffee drinker. As with the food there will always be different opinions because we all have different tastes.

Add another to the list that thinks that Starbucks is undrinkable.

I have to agree with you Pam.... every time we are in America and have to get a coffee from Starbucks (because there is nowhere else handy) I end up taking a sip and throwing it out.... you think I would learn. To me it has no taste or body, and I ask for double extra shots, still tastes awful.

Bravo re Starbucks. Their coffee is stale. Probably because the beans are roasted long before use.

Dunkin Donuts offers a very drinkable cuppa at more reasonable prices, and is always rated #1 in surveys.

I kinda disagree with the "subjective" concept. Coffee preferences often depend on conditioning. For some folks even price is an influence. If it costs more, it must be better!:p

My coffee supplier tells me that there are different grades of coffee syrup. Some, he says, are actually drinkable. Princess apparently uses the cheapest available.

By comparison, HAL has good coffee even in the buffet because they use a good quality bean, Beukenhorst. There is a major difference.

http://www.beukenhorst-usa.com/

I must say that the coffee in Princess' dining rooms tastes slightly better than HC. Although the dining room coffee is also syrup based, I suspect the kitchen staff occasionally cleans their coffee machines.:p

Add me to the list of those that do not like the coffee on Princess as well as those that don't think Starbucks is that great. I drink Starbucks in a pinch. I'm also not a fan of the fresh-brewed coffee on Princess, but it is better than the syrup based. I also do not like the coffee on Cunard or Celebrity.

I love what I consider to be good coffee and buy Kona Dark Roast, Kona Peaberry, Jamaican Blue Mountain and some Cafe Britt Espresso and only whole bean. Grind my own fresh every a.m.

I also take my coffee beans and coffee-making paraphernalia with me on a cruise. Have a wonderful little hand-grinder that works really well (it's "powered" by DH) and use an aeropress to make the coffee. It's extra work, but oh the difference in the taste and how great it tastes while sipping it out on the balcony at the beginning of another wonderful day on board my favorite cruise ship (which is whatever ship I'm on at the time). :D

With all that said, however I believe that the type of coffee a person prefers and will drink is strictly personal choice and is totally subjective. One cannot please all people with anything. I find it supremely difficult to understand but some people don't even like my coffee!!!:eek: :rolleyes:I find that totally weird but I recently had a friend tell me that she thinks I'm really crazy to spend so much money and time on making a cup of coffee that isn't (in her opinion) drinkable. Go figure.

Coffee is like beer & wine.

Some people (MANY) drink Bud Lite and consider it beer. Some people think it's water that only slightly resembles what beer might taste like if it were good. ;)

Same with wine... same with coffee.

There's a reason that the mass produced coffee brands like Folgers (that taste like garbage to me,) take up so much room on the grocery store shelves and the good coffee gets such little shelf space. There's also a reason that your local gas station continues to make brown water. It sells!

Hi All

I thought the quailty of the Brewed Coffee at IC had gone down this year,

however there are many good instant coffees out there,

not sure what folks in US can buy, as products over there with same name are not the same as we have here in UK

but

just now I have three coffees that I am drinking

Kenco Realy Rich

Kenco Millicano

and Douwe Egberts Pure Gold

yours shogun

DON

Ah, but how can it be both dishwater and mud simultaneously?

For every person that thinks the coffee is nothing more than coffee-flavored dishwater, there's another that thinks it's thick, overcooked sludge. Same with Starbucks...I've seen equal numbers of complaints that it's bland and flavorless as undrinkably strong and burnt. Heck, I used to know a Coast Guard veteran who would put coffee and grounds in a saucepan and boil it down like a demiglace. He thought espresso was dishwater!

I like lighter breakfast blend type coffees. My wife likes deep french roast coffees. I enjoy the Princess coffee, my wife will drink it, but much prefers the fresh brewed from the International Cafe. Simply saying the coffee is "swill" doesn't really inform anyone of what's wrong with it, and, just as importantly, your perspective of what "good coffee" should actually be.

I have to agree with Pam. I Hate -- with a big "H" -- Starbucks. It has the undeniable acidic undertone in all its product lines (unless you pour tons of sugar and cream into your coffee :( ) I am a black coffee drinker because I love the pure taste of coffee itself. I have moved from western Europe, so I know what a cup of real good "strong" coffee taste like, and Starbucks does NOT taste anything like German or Swiss brands. So... I must say it is a strictly personal opinion whether one prefers Starbucks or Princess "syrup" coffee. I actually prefer the so-called syrup coffee to Starbucks anytime. But then again, it is just my peculiar taste buds and my personal preference... :). It is really a personal taste issue, I think.

I have to admit that the on our last cruise the coffee wasn't half bad. On our prior trips on Princess, coffee at buffet has always been extremely weak and in the MDR it is usually acceptable. We usually purchase a coffee card for a morning latte or mocha, but not on our most recent trip on the Coral. The coffee seemed to have improved or was just made better.

This gets back to the earlier statement above, that it all depends :cool:

I am sitting on my balcony looking at the sea, I am drinking a cup of coffee knowing how hard I had to work to get here! The ship is beautiful it is so peaceful I am not working and about as greatful as a person can be.

DO YOU REALLY THINK I AM THINKING ABOUT WHAT THE COFFEE TASTES LIKE! " REALLY " COME ON

Archived