The Pride: What REALLY happened...

IGGY63

Wow great pics and video. Hope the current group of cruisers on the Pride are ready. Tropical Storm Sean is heading straight for Bermuda.

Anyone know if they've made additional changes to the current cruise? I can't image them getting to Bermuda and back with the storms position and projected path.

Dave, that was an awesome (and very scary) video! We're set to sail Sunday, and I'm hoping that the sea isn't still angry next week! We were supposed to sail this week to Bermuda and rescheduled for the following week, which is going to the Bahamas instead. When the seas kick up like that, I wonder how long it takes for them to calm down again? I'm starting my first dose of Bonine on Saturday!

Just curious, when you're in sustained swells like that for 24 hours or more, do you start to get a little complacent after a few hours, or is every minute as intense as the previous one? I'm wondering if anyone was able to get any sleep...

Dave, that was an awesome (and very scary) video! We're set to sail Sunday, and I'm hoping that the sea isn't still angry next week! We were supposed to sail this week to Bermuda and rescheduled for the following week, which is going to the Bahamas instead. When the seas kick up like that, I wonder how long it takes for them to calm down again? I'm starting my first dose of Bonine on Saturday!

Just curious, when you're in sustained swells like that for 24 hours or more, do you start to get a little complacent after a few hours, or is every minute as intense as the previous one? I'm wondering if anyone was able to get any sleep...

As weird as it sounds, it was almost comfortable in the late afternoon and at night, when it was probably still 10-15 feet. Which is normally annoying. It was so bad that anything else seems good.

The only time I wasn't comfortable after the morning was at dinner, which was definitely the roughest dinner I was ever at.

Did the captain order everyone in their staterooms? I was on RC Freedom of the Seas 10/9 when we hit rough weather. Hurricaine force winds, 2 ships stayed in port. Captain asked everyone to stay in staterooms

It wasn't ordered, it was more or less "suggested". But we didn't get the kind of "roll" or "list" that you guys did, either, just a few times when the captain was driving the ship and it got a tad out of control. :D

I stayed in for an hour or so but then got bored and started wandering around. Breakfast was interesting. Much of the rest of the time was spent way downstairs which wasn't bad other than the downforce when you were walking.

I finally watched the video. Looked rather tame to me, but then I've been in 30 foot seas before on a flat bottomed vessel and where we've had green water across the signal bridge;). Winter in the North Atlantic. Nope, don't miss it much:cool:.

Thanx Dave for your great video and pix. Love your attitude. Hard to explain the gimme gimme desire of some.

BTW - Love London. It's where I met the love of my life 28 years ago.:)

Ah..... thinking Western or Fanshawe?

It's still a great city.....

i'm just wonder why those people continued to stand at the pools edge and continued to get sprayed. that guy in white looked like he could have gone green.

nice to see that angry water in still caribbean blue!

off to have a ginger ale....

OK I know I am the minority here but that looks like so much fun!!

Of course on a cruise I love nice weather but, if it is going to be cruddy out the bigger and badder the storm the more exciting it is to me!

Same goes on land, the wilder the better!:)

My thoughts exactly.

Glad everyone was safe.

i'm just wonder why those people continued to stand at the pools edge and continued to get sprayed. that guy in white looked like he could have gone green.

All those guys were crew. I think they grabbed any crew that would help out very quickly, because some of them looked like they were not sure what to do. I cut that part out when I edited the video.

Actually, many crew members were 'green' anyway, because a lot of them had not experienced a storm of that magnitude......pretty amazing considering so many would be on one ship or another for 40 plus weeks a year.

I was on this cruise also. I spoke with an employee that said they took on 8 inches of water on deck 1. It was a crazy time! Dont forget the free pay per view movies they offered to try and keep people in their rooms. I have a video I will try and upload to youtube. We we on deck 7 aft. Right behind the elevators. Starting Wed nt going thru sunday morning we had a total of 3 engineers, 3 housekeeping supervisors, and quite a few ppl from guest services in out room because of a huge banging noise created by the elevator. I was pleasently suprised that on Saturday afternoon I had a letter in my mailbox crediting 20% for the 4 days we experienced the noise. And an offer for 10% off any future bookings for the next year. We were in 7301 so I will warn future cruisers, until they get it fixed, to try and not stay in the room!! 6301, 5301, and 8301 also had the same banging noise.

I was on this cruise also. I spoke with an employee that said they took on 8 inches of water on deck 1. It was a crazy time! Dont forget the free pay per view movies they offered to try and keep people in their rooms. I have a video I will try and upload to youtube. We we on deck 7 aft. Right behind the elevators. Starting Wed nt going thru sunday morning we had a total of 3 engineers, 3 housekeeping supervisors, and quite a few ppl from guest services in out room because of a huge banging noise created by the elevator. I was pleasently suprised that on Saturday afternoon I had a letter in my mailbox crediting 20% for the 4 days we experienced the noise. And an offer for 10% off any future bookings for the next year. We were in 7301 so I will warn future cruisers, until they get it fixed, to try and not stay in the room!! 6301, 5301, and 8301 also had the same banging noise.

We were in 6279 and those above and below us heard banging as well from Wed thru early Sunday Morning. They gave us the same credit and we were insulted by it. I felt with what we went through they should have offered us more:mad:

i was reading the current sailing didn't even make a 24 hour stay on its current run. should make for some interesting reading when they return.

Hello there,

What do you mean by this? Sorry, I missed the context. We're heading out on the Pride on Sunday.

Thanks,

Boog

We were in 6279 and those above and below us heard banging as well from Wed thru early Sunday Morning. They gave us the same credit and we were insulted by it. I felt with what we went through they should have offered us more:mad:
Were you so insulted that you refused it?:p

i was reading the current sailing didn't even make a 24 hour stay on its current run. should make for some interesting reading when they return.

So they had to flee the storm? Gonna be a happy crowd. lol.

In our case at least we got a re-do of Saturday on Sunday.

Funny how some were "pleasantly surprised" by Carnivals offer

I was on this cruise also. I was pleasantly surprised that on Saturday afternoon I had a letter in my mailbox crediting 20% for the 4 days we experienced the noise. And an offer for 10% off any future bookings for the next year. We were in 7301 so I will warn future cruisers, until they get it fixed, to try and not stay in the room!! 6301, 5301, and 8301 also had the same banging noise.
...while others were "insulted by it" Oh well.

Funny how some were "pleasantly surprised" by Carnivals offer ...while others were "insulted by it" Oh well.

If the banging was sporadic & not that loud - I can see being pleasantly surprised by the discount. If it was such that it kept me from sleeping, or worse woke me up every time I had drifted off for a few minutes - I don't think I would have been happy about 20% either.

Funny how some were "pleasantly surprised" by Carnivals offer ...while others were "insulted by it" Oh well.

Perhaps some of us were able to sleep while others were unable to get any sleep. Perhaps the better observation would be why does it concern someone who was not on the ship or involved in the situation :confused:

Perhaps some of us were able to sleep while others were unable to get any sleep. Perhaps the better observation would be why does it concern someone who was not on the ship or involved in the situation :confused:

Maybe because it was posted in a public forum?? Why post something if not for discussion?

reminds me of my trip on the pride... december 09, in the middle of a wicked snowstorm that walloped the northeast, that we happened to suffer through for days. the captain and crew were unbelievable and so kind and levelheaded while people were flipping out screaming demanding upgrades and refunds.

memories.

There was some ungodly banging in the stairwells on the ship, but that wouldn't be elevator related... well, passenger elevator at least.... it still lasted until Saturday night so it wasn't necessarily monster swell related.

It was loud. BOOM. BOOM. BOOM. My first guess was the pool dome but I'm not so sure now. Didn't effect my room but if it did it would probably drive me nuts.

Bottom line, the first person to be overtly critical about this cruise was going to get reamed. It took awhile, but you were that person.

Archived