"LIVE" from Explorer of the Seas / Nov 10, 2011

Radio

How small are the cable cars my wife is closterphobic? Cause when we go in Sept 2013 I dont want her to panic wile were riding it. Oh and how many people are in one car?
Go back a bit. There's a photo of the cars. I counted 5 in one car but don't know if that's the max. One thing I would suggest is that you skip if if it's a windy day. I rode it and the wind was making the car swing a lot. I was in the car by myself. I started singing "I Whistle a Happy Tune" (Whenever I feel afraid...) to myself.

Good Morning everyone. . . Welcome to Day 8 of “LIVE” from Explorer of the Seas. . .

I am very happy that Cruise Critic Member MegR has invited me and a few others to her Cabana for the day. Thanks Meg! It will be nice spending the day with friends at Barefoot Beach. . .

Before we sailed from Bayonne last week, I researched the forecast for all of our ports. It was calling for Showers everyday. . . I wake up today to find out that we will have another sunny day in store for us in beautiful Labadee !. . .

That’s right. . .the forecast called for showers each day, and we had hot sunny weather for every port. . .

Sometimes it’s very good to have a bad forecast. . .

Here are a few pics from our arrival. . .Many more pics will come this afternoon.

Radio

It looks like we may have another Sunny Day !

V1.JPG

We can see the Pier. . .

V2.JPG

We approach the Pier slowly. . .

V3.JPG

Ahhh . . . Sunny Blue skies in Labadee

V4.JPG

Workers are positioning to get us tied up to the pier

V6.JPG

Welcome to Labadee !

V7.JPG

How small are the cable cars my wife is closterphobic? Cause when we go in Sept 2013 I dont want her to panic wile were riding it. Oh and how many people are in one car?

Max is eight but they put nine people in our car. I guess they didn't think our kids counted as a whole person. There are windows at the top that helped with a little air but I am also sometimes claustrophobic and I did o.k.

Radio,

Can you pay for the Wifi on the ship by the day?

Where on the ship do you get the best reception?

What time of day is it faster?

We are going on Navigator to the same ports in 8 days and DH wants to know how it works.

Thanks for sharing your cruise with us. Love to go along with you every time.

Julia

Radio,

Can you pay for the Wifi on the ship by the day?

Where on the ship do you get the best reception?

What time of day is it faster?

Julia

My experience was that the Viking Crown lounge had excellent service, not slow at all.

You buy a package of minutes, so, no, you do not pay for the day, you pay for a total package of minutes. The more minutes you buy, the cheaper per minute.

Radio: Thanks for posting all the pictures of Old San Juan. Some people don't care for the port stop in San Juan, but I have always enjoyed it. Love to walk around and go over to the old fort and walk around there. Some beautiful views. Also, glad to hear there are winnings to be had at Sheraton Old San Juan. We are staying there precruise for our Serenade in Jan. Maybe we will be one of the lucky ones to take a little extra with us!

Labadee is one of my favorite places to go. Was just there twice last month while we did our Oasis/Allure cruises. They are still doing so many improvements to the area. I noticed the new walkways in the middle of the area, with many new plants being planted. We like to see how much the grow from time to time on our visits. Also, love to go over to Dragons Breath to listen to the ocean. Enjoy your time at Barefoot beach. Again, Thanks so much for taking the time to report to all of us and sharing your cruise with us! It makes it so much easier to get through the week! :D :D

Radio,

If you need your fix of Starbucks on you way home - they have a special up until the 20th of November - from 2 - 5pm you get a Buy one - Get one Free drink:)

Grab a friend and head to a participating Starbucks® store - because November 17-20 from

2-5 p.m., when you buy one holiday drink, you'll get another one of equal or lesser value for

free. Take your pick of your most-loved holiday beverages, including Peppermint Mocha, new

Skinny Peppermint Mocha, Caramel Brulée Latte, Gingerbread Latte and Eggnog Latte.

Pat

Hi Radio,

Can you confirm for me that the partitions on the Explorer balconies are steel walls and cannot be removed? I know that some of the newer ships can remove them when you have families travelling together. A few folks have told me that they cannot be removed on the Explorer - Just need your confirmation.

Thanks,

Frerd

Hi Radio,

Can you confirm for me that the partitions on the Explorer balconies are steel walls and cannot be removed? I know that some of the newer ships can remove them when you have families travelling together. A few folks have told me that they cannot be removed on the Explorer - Just need your confirmation.

Thanks,

Frerd

Not removable. Steel structure.

Thank you for the pix of Labadee. I didn't realize ships docked there now. 1999 was my one and only time there. We enjoyed ourselves tremendously, even though we got stuck in a down pour and had to wait for the tenders to start running again to take us back to the ship.

Radio,

If you need your fix of Starbucks on you way home - they have a special up until the 20th of November - from 2 - 5pm you get a Buy one - Get one Free drink:)

Grab a friend and head to a participating Starbucks® store - because November 17-20 from

2-5 p.m., when you buy one holiday drink, you'll get another one of equal or lesser value for

free. Take your pick of your most-loved holiday beverages, including Peppermint Mocha, new

Skinny Peppermint Mocha, Caramel Brulée Latte, Gingerbread Latte and Eggnog Latte.

Pat

Thanks for the tip.

Hi Radio,

Thanks,

Frerd

They are solid steel walls, see the picture in post 161

I had an outdoor massage on Labadee. It was wonderful. Much better than when you have one in one of those tiny rooms on the ship. The cominbation of the massage and the gentle breeze was amazing. I drifted away into the most wonderful sleep. If you're going to shell out the big bucks for a massage this is the way to go.

Hi Radio,

Thanks,

Frerd

Well actually not all are steel structures the one my mother and I have is NOT REMOVEABLE but it's heavily frosted glass, you cannot even tell if someone is on their balcony through it, no shadows or anything can be seen but because it's not a solid steel divider it allows light and you don't really feel like you are closed in on either side

They are solid steel walls, see the picture in post 161

Well actually not all are steel structures the one my mother and I have is NOT REMOVEABLE but it's heavily frosted glass, you cannot even tell if someone is on their balcony through it, no shadows or anything can be seen but because it's not a solid steel divider it allows light and you don't really feel like you are closed in on either side

Well actually not all are steel structures the one my mother and I have which is on the hump is NOT REMOVEABLE but it's heavily frosted glass on one side, you cannot even tell if someone is on their balcony through it, no shadows or anything can be seen but because it's not a solid steel divider it allows light and you don't really feel like you are closed in on either side. see in my picture on the far left you can see part of the divider

balcony.jpg

Hi Radio,

Thanks,

Frerd

We have cruised on the Explorer (5 times) and her sister ships and the cabin attendant is not permitted to open them... travel with my sister and mother and for some reason the older ships cannot be opened. We have been on the Liberty, Oasis and Allure and they will open the balcony partitions. I have noticed they open them after each cruise to hose down the balconies, so they can be opened but not for passengers:(

Radio,

Pat

My DD wants to know if this is a nationwide promotion? She is drooling over the thought of an eggnog latte.:cool:

My DD wants to know if this is a nationwide promotion? She is drooling over the thought of an eggnog latte.:cool:

It looks like it is at most Starbucks (it says participating locations) I would think most of the stand-alones would be participating - where I don't see one participating is one maybe inside a Barnes & Noble but I do remember when they had it before I could get it at one inside a Target :D I want my peppermint hot chocolate;)

Pat

It looks like it is at most Starbucks (it says participating locations) I would think most of the stand-alones would be participating - where I don't see one participating is one maybe inside a Barnes & Noble but I do remember when they had it before I could get it at one inside a Target :D I want my peppermint hot chocolate;)

Pat

Thank you. She's going to try it after work.:D

Archived